Become a Patron!

Guns!

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
http://www.frfrogspad.com/jmb.htm

Reloading....Dont get me started......If any of you are shooting center fire rifles and want to see just how accurate that rifle is you need a re-loader.Dont expect to save money but a good bolt action rifle and a dialed in load is a sweet thing to shoot.

Center fire pistol ammo is a different bear though. Its not really cost effective unless your hunting and need REAL hunting ammo or Match accuracy shooting. Accuracy in my N frame Smiths at 100 yards (no that's not a typo...41 mag or 45 Long Colt) with factory stuff is 4 inchs. with reloads they are under 2 from a rest.

The demise of cheap cast lead projectiles has tripled cost's.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok, so I've run into a problem that I'm hoping someone can help with. I can't seem to load the cartridges into the magazine. I can load one or two, but after that, the tension is so strong that I can't get any more in it and my thumbs are killing me. Any ideas, since it's not really feasible to have my husband load them for me at the range?

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, so I've run into a problem that I'm hoping someone can help with. I can't seem to load the cartridges into the magazine. I can load one or two, but after that, the tension is so strong that I can't get any more in it and my thumbs are killing me. Any ideas, since it's not really feasible to have my husband load them for me at the range?
http://www.maglula.com/product/uplula-9mm-to-45acp/

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So, must one wear a belt in order to use a holster? I tend to wear things with elastic waistbands and no belt. Does that mean I should get a belly band-type holster or can other holsters clip to the waistband rather than belt?

I know, I must sound stupid but I have no idea what I should look for. :D

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, must one wear a belt in order to use a holster? I tend to wear things with elastic waistbands and no belt. Does that mean I should get a belly band-type holster or can other holsters clip to the waistband rather than belt?

If you have belt loops wear a proper gun belt/holster imo. If no belt loops then get a belly band or other types of leggings designed with a place for a gun. There are a lot of options out there now for women that don't wear belts. There are some other things like ulticlips and others you can get for belt holsters that can clip to your pants/jeans that aren't elastic but I would be worried about them pulling my pants down personally if wearing elastic waistbands.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

I have a holster that goes inside my waistband for concealed carry or I can wear a belt and put it on that. It's up to you were you feel the most comfortable wearing it. You will sweat a lot with a belly band holster, during the winter a belly band is ok.

Sorry, Khassy. I just seen you wear elastic. I wear jeans during the winter and no elastic during the summer.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you have belt loops wear a proper gun belt/holster imo. If no belt loops then get a belly band or other types of leggings designed with a place for a gun. There are a lot of options out there now for women that don't wear belts. There are some other things like ulticlips and others you can get for belt holsters that can clip to your pants/jeans that aren't elastic but I would be worried about them pulling my pants down personally if wearing elastic waistbands.

Well the main pants I tend to wear out of the house aren't exactly elastic, but have a tied waist so it won't fall down past my hips. They don't have belt loops.

TDC123

Member For 4 Years
It is hard to hang even a small handgun like the shield on such clothing.

I see a lot of women who appendix carry. Basically low on the belly. There are some belly band type arrangements for that and it's not garment dependent. There are also belt mounted holster for doing so.

Ladies often don't take to carrying on their hip because it limits them to loose or bulky clothing.

I'm a large man and my pants generally have more spacious pockets so I use pocket holsters a lot. It's not the best way but it works for me the easiest and I've found pocket holsters versatile for a number of things. I also have hip holsters for inside and outside the waist band but I've tried many and most were less than pleasant. The most comfortable one I have found is the N82 IWB holster.

Ankle carry is a possibility if you wear pants with a loose cuff but it's the slowest mode of carry. Slow in that it takes multiple obvious movements to get to the firearm. They are great if you're often seated or in a car. They are also handy if you find yourself knocked down on your back. Ideally you want the gun handy and ready to deploy. not down at your feet but it's an option. With ankle carry I have found that cheap holsters are miserable. The Galco Ankle Glove is a real winner with great retention and quick to deploy.

There are also "fanny pack" type carrying options that many people who don't wear a heavy belt use. People find them really handy when jogging or wearing elastic type waist bands. Like with a purse though I would want a quick access model designed for carrying and quick access to a firearm.

I also have a shouldered tactical bag. Or "man purse" as my cohorts like to chide me about. I carry a lot of stuff in that thing as I'm self employed and carry lots of stuff. It has a somewhat hidden compartment for a firearm and I use it often as well. Ladies have a real advantage in this regard. That thing is so hand and having it opens my once burdened pockets to more options for carrying self defense items. A purse with a dedicated pocket for a firearm that is quickly accessible would be a nice option. Some of them have quick access compartment where you basically rip free from the outside of the purse shell or pocket that gives quick access to your firearm. Such a fanny pack or purse with a back up small revolver in a good ankle holster would be quite effective.

I think you will eventually find that it's going to require having multiple options for different attire and scenarios. Don't let that deter you. You don't have to buy a kydex or leather rig costing hundreds of dollars to carry. You will hear and people will tell you that you must carry in such a holster and on your hip or you're going to die. For me, most of those are uncomfortable and they get left at home.

A holster needs to do a few things. Retain the gun securely. Keep the trigger protected from unintentional discharge of the firearm. Be comfortable. Be readily accessible.

Try some different things and add on as you go. Most who carry firearms have a box of holsters that just didn't work for them. I'm afraid that is just part of it.

Gun stores often have a box of such used holsters very cheap somewhere in their store. The holsters come in with guns people trade in and get tossed in the box. There are really good deals in those boxes.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks guys! I'm not really looking for another purse, though. I use a Sash Bag and you guys gave me the idea to see if it would work. If I put the pistol in the outer pocket that lays against my abdomen, it's very difficult to see. The pistol doesn't fit completely into the pocket, but unless you're really looking, you won't see it. I'll have to have my husband give me his opinion when he gets home but I'm pretty sure he'll agree that it suffices. Especially since I promised him after he got me a Sash Bag that I'd never ask him for another purse. :giggle:

TDC123

Member For 4 Years
Thanks guys! I'm not really looking for another purse, though. I use a Sash Bag and you guys gave me the idea to see if it would work. If I put the pistol in the outer pocket that lays against my abdomen, it's very difficult to see. The pistol doesn't fit completely into the pocket, but unless you're really looking, you won't see it. I'll have to have my husband give me his opinion when he gets home but I'm pretty sure he'll agree that it suffices. Especially since I promised him after he got me a Sash Bag that I'd never ask him for another purse. :giggle:

When you first start carrying, you think everyone is watching and can see your gun. The truth is most people aren't aware of what's going on around them at all. The people who will notice are most likely LEO or other's who do carry. After a few weeks you get past that "living in a spotlight" feeling. You will probably notice that you start paying closer attention to what's around you and attempting to spot others who may be carrying also. Even here in rural KY I rarely spot others carrying concealed but there are a lot of folks who open carry.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
off body carry is the worst kind of carry, so try and carry on body when/if at all possible.

When I first started open carrying in 2010 it wasn't very common here so I was very conscious of the gun and had people/neighbors call the cops on me multiple times. I hardly ever get comments anymore and at this point I feel like I notice people CCing more often than people notice or mention my OC gun.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well, I've pretty much done nothing the last week other than read and watch everything I can about my Shield, gun ownership in general, accessories, etc. Oh, and spent money. I know my husband was anticipating that I'd need a bunch of stuff other than the pistol, but I'm not sure he understood just how much I'd need. :D I've got the pistol, two boxes of ammo (one range, one self-defense), a set of 10 snap caps, a carrying case, speed loader, ear muffs, eye protection, range bag, cleaning kit, Talon Grip, ArachniGrip, and an IWB holster. On my yet-to-get list is a TekMat, bore snake, two gun safes (one for home, one for car), and a first aid kit. Oh, and I also bought a new pair of pants with belt loops, so I'll need to get a belt, too. :giggle:

Unfortunately, the range is closed until the 22nd, so I can't go practice, but I've been practicing in the house as much as possible (unloaded, of course). Tomorrow, I tackle my first field stripping and cleaning. I left the slide racked for a few days and it really helped loosen it up. I can easily rack it now. :)

TDC123

Member For 4 Years
It sounds like you are well on your way Khassy. Keep it up. I carried a shield for a long time. It was a very worthy handgun.

Be warned...it is addictive this shooting we do.

If you ever decide you want to add another handgun in the same caliber with slightly larger capacity the S&W SD9VE can be had very affordably. Lots of guns owe their design to Glock but that particular one is so similar that Glock sued S&W over it. You gain a bit more capacity and you may find that eventually it's nice having a larger capacity handgun at home or in the car. You don't have to unholster every time you change locations to keep your defense gun on the ready.

And you may be perfectly happy keeping it simple with one handgun that you know the grip, trigger and feel of very well. Lots of wisdom in that approach especially when first starting out. Gun nerds like me can't be happy with just one LOL.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It sounds like you are well on your way Khassy. Keep it up. I carried a shield for a long time. It was a very worthy handgun.

Be warned...it is addictive this shooting we do.

If you ever decide you want to add another handgun in the same caliber with slightly larger capacity the S&W SD9VE can be had very affordably. Lots of guns owe their design to Glock but that particular one is so similar that Glock sued S&W over it. You gain a bit more capacity and you may find that eventually it's nice having a larger capacity handgun at home or in the car. You don't have to unholster every time you change locations to keep your defense gun on the ready.

And you may be perfectly happy keeping it simple with one handgun that you know the grip, trigger and feel of very well. Lots of wisdom in that approach especially when first starting out. Gun nerds like me can't be happy with just one LOL.

Oh trust me, I already know that as soon as I can afford it, I'm getting another one. :D Not quite sure what, although I'm leaning toward a rifle for home defense - something like an AR-15 maybe. There's a Springfield Armory Saint I've been eyeballing. Although the girly in me really likes the look of engraved revolvers. Or something pink. The idea of shooting a bad guy with a pink handgun really amuses me. :teehee: But this definitely won't be my only weapon, that's for sure.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I heavily agree with @TDC123, its a sport you will want to do in almost every instances, the pistols/rifles/shotguns/mags/sites/smithing will consume your thoughts and wallet...and you will love every minute of getting out and doing it...

My favorite firearms to shoot are probably the 22LR and the 9mm....theres much less recoil so you can shoot much longer and they are just as fun, especially the 22LR replicas. My "fun" guns are probably my most inexpensive, The GSG-1911S & the GSG MP5K, Since getting them Ive wanted to grab just about every other gun in a 22lr size becuase of how long you can shoot spending $30 in ammo, though I suggest always use CC Mini Mags to make sure every cycles but you can usually find the same side arm you normally carry in a 22R size and its also good for training with....just a thought.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've now got the Talon Grip and ArachiGrip applied. Both went on really easily and the pistol feels really good in my hand now. And I am now officially a proud member of the NRA. :stars2:

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Do any of you carry on your person while at home? I'm debating whether or not I should.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I ordered another holster, a kydex, since the wimpy neoprene one I got doesn't look like it will suffice. I also field stripped, cleaned and lubed it today. But Holy Mother of God, was it a pain in the ass! My fingers are shredded from the ArachniGrip I put on it. I definitely need to either sand the grit down a bit or remove it. It's rough as hell on the fingers. I had one helluva time first trying to get the slide off, then trying to put it back on. My husband helped me figure out that I needed to pull the trigger to get it off (dunno why but once he did, it came right off), and then had to help me put it back on because I couldn't get the damn slide lock to engage. I sure as hell hope it gets easier from now on because he's gonna get highly irritated if I have to come running to him to help me with it. As he should. It's mine, I should be able to manage it myself. Grrr....

Also, it's a good thing I wear glasses or I'd have put my eye out practicing when a snap cap ejected into my face. :D

GBusafvet95

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like my Springfield XDs 3.3, 9 mil. I didn't at first, but it's grown on me.
IMG_3359.JPG

Love FOXX Holsters!!
IMG_3360.JPG

My 1941 Mosin-Nagant is one of my most prized possessions. Just a big ' ol teddy bear.
IMG_3361.JPG

Those are the only guns I have left. After I moved to Alabama, I got my CCP and started hoarding guns. Thought it wise to slow down, so I got rid of all but those two. Really miss my Glock 19. Should have kept it. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's pretty decent. Especially with the extended mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have little hands. The extended mags are nice for the additional round but don't really do anything for me as far as comfort. :)

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm in Cali... This is the most we're allowed to have here...

1477383324168475895.jpg

I got mine early cause next year the mag capacity is being reduced to 1 bullet... :gaah:

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Does anyone else mentally criticize actors on tv and in movies for the way they handle their firearms? I've found that I've started to do so. :teehee: We're binge-watching NCIS again and I've started noticing how badly they hold their weapons and wonder how it is they haven't shot themselves in the ass yet. :giggle:

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
So, I work in an office that is 90 percent lib-tard entitled... A Lib tard entitled asked me on the elevator what an old worn out Colt police gun is worth...I replied 100 bucks.

I just bought a 1927 production Colt Officers model for a hundred cash...75 present bluing with perfect bore and light holster wear....Will post pictures shortly!

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So, I work in an office that is 90 percent lib-tard entitled... A Lib tard entitled asked me on the elevator what an old worn out Colt police gun is worth...I replied 100 bucks.

I just bought a 1927 production Colt Officers model for a hundred cash...75 present bluing with perfect bore and light holster wear....Will post pictures shortly!

LOL

For those that are interested, Mossberg now sells a 14" shotgun that does NOT require a special ATF license, as other shotguns/rifles shorter than 18" normally require. For some odd reason, AFT classifies it as an "other" weapon. Retails for $455, our local store has it on sale for $389.

MOSSBERG 590 SHOCKWAVE 12G 14" SHOTGUN

Model 590 Shockwave 12 Gauge 3 Inch Chamber 14 Inch Heavy Walled Barrel Shockwave Raptor Pistol Grip Front Bead Sight Matte Blue Finish 6 Round

Dual extractors, positive steel-to-steel lockup, twin action bars and an anti-jam elevator ensure smooth operation. Heavy-walled barrel. Cylinder bore choke. Convenient clean-out tube magazine cap. Front bead sight. Strapped forend to keep shooter s lead hand clear of the muzzle. Ambidextrous top-mounted safety. Shockwave Raptor bird s head-style pistol grip is uniquely shaped to provide a firm grip and to minimize felt recoil constructed of durable polymer. Matte blue finish. 6 Round capacity.

MOS50659.jpg

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
When I was in the Navy @Khassy we used the Mossberg 500 model for our Self Defense and Nuclear weapons security force. While on Deployment to the Mediterranean sea we had a skeet shoot.

2 model 500's with factory 30 inch skeet barrels fired 10,000 rounds of ammo in 5 hours time. We had 1 fail to fire, too many round cook offs to count (barrel was so hot it lit the round off when the slide was closed.) We started cooling the guns off in a 55 gallon barrel of sea water because we were running out of daylight and the Gunners Mates didnt want to have to store the ammo.

Care to guess what sits under my bed? this is the same basic action.

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
2 weeks ago I got a call from a fellow I used to work for, he said his father had passed away recently and he inherited 2 guns and needed some help.

1 was a 22 rifle, he could get the action open and see that it wasnt loaded but the other was a Winchester defender pump 12 ga shotgun.

I explained how it worked in detail and suggested he get that chamber inspected proto. (Loaded guns are not a good thing for the un-experienced)

Well, yesterday I was off and at 3pm he pulls in my driveway. He proudly opens the trunk of his car and hands me a beautiful Winchester Defender and say " I cant figure this thing out. Tell me what you think."

The safty was off and the slide was locked into battery. I pointed it in the air ( Home can best be described as rural) looked him in the eyes and said "Imagine this: this gun is leaned up against a wall in your home and one of your kids bumps it. When it hits the floor it is point at your wifes left ankle ( this made her look alittle uncomfortable) " and I pulled the trigger.It went kaboom with authority. Full chamber and 4 rounds of 3 inch 00 buck in the tube.

One round of 12 ga buckshot went airborn over the field behind my house and both of them turned ashe gray.

I spent the next hour teaching them how to unload and load a shotgun properly.

Check your chambers...Aggressively learn how to safely operate any gun in the house....Teach your kids and your spouse. Dont be a statistic.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
In KS the law is on college campuses you have to be 21 in order to CC, that is bullshit. If you can join the military at 18 you should be able to CC on the college campuses!

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Beautiful pistol, Don. I like the contrast of the grip.

No time to chat. But without 'full' disclosure...
Glock 19 still new in the case
S&W .38sp w/laser and military grade grips
Keltec .32
CCW since 1990 or so.
CC/OC here in the West.

Gotta run. Will visit again soon.
Proud NRA member. :cool:

VU Sponsors