Become a Patron!

Government legalises e-cigarettes in effort to make New Zealand smokefree by 2025

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good for them; it's nice to see some gov't other than Britain has at least one working brain. I wish them luck on the smokefree by 2025, but I have my doubts that it will EVER happen -- some people will probably always smoke. If it ever does die away, I think it will take a lot longer than that; maybe within a century?

Andria

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Good for them; it's nice to see some gov't other than Britain has at least one working brain. I wish them luck on the smokefree by 2025, but I have my doubts that it will EVER happen -- some people will probably always smoke.
Agreed, 2025 is completely unrealistic. They could threaten summary execution of anyone caught smoking and they still wouldn't achieve it.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Agreed, 2025 is completely unrealistic. They could threaten summary execution of anyone caught smoking and they still wouldn't achieve it.

It's an enduring fantasy of control-freaks, that somehow, someday, they will be able to MAKE everyone do exactly what those tyrannical little control-freaks want. They will never figure out that the only thing you can MAKE people do is die... and society tends to frown on that. Oh, and pay taxes, and while gov'ts are pretty good at making people do that, on pain of lengthy incarceration, even that isn't 100%. I had to come to terms with this total inability to MAKE my son do as I wish when he first entered school -- out of my sight and direct control, there was literally nothing I could do to FORCE him to do as I wished whenever he wasn't at home -- the best I could offer was motivation to behave correctly, and/or punishment if he did not, and I even explained this to him when he was just 6-7 yrs old (my son was VERY precocious, appearing and acting like a primary-school child at the age of 3, so he was able to grasp this important point by the time he entered school, though my mom NEVER grasped it at all), and it was a fairly successful tactic in encouraging him to choose wisely -- when a child knows that the choice of reward or punishment is their own, they tend to choose reward!

Malaysia has had some DRACONIAN punishments for vaping for some time now... and yet, Malaysian people still vape. :D It's very hard to completely eradicate determined freewill in the human animal, though many gov'ts have tried their damnedest. And so it's clear: the reward of better health and longer life is far easier to choose than the punishment offered by the gov't! :giggle:

Andria

Last edited:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Been wanting to visit NZ at some point, now I know I can go there and vape my head off!

kevinjp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
oh look a tiny corner of the world where intelligent life still exists.
Oh I'm not so sure about that sometimes :fyi: now all we need to do is kick the crap out of the idiots who want to make it 20 plus to vape. Smoking age here in NZ is 18 so why the f..k would vaping be 20?

kevinjp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been wanting to visit NZ at some point, now I know I can go there and vape my head off!
Hmm still gotta abide by the smoking laws sorta. Most places won't let you vape where you can't smoke even though it's not illegal. Having said that the vapers I know here are careful to project a hmmm whats the word maybe a responsible image.

kevinjp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh and do please come visit. I doubt you would be disappointed. I LOVE being a Kiwi and truly do believe we have a good little country.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Oh I'm not so sure about that sometimes :fyi: now all we need to do is kick the crap out of the idiots who want to make it 20 plus to vape. Smoking age here in NZ is 18 so why the f..k would vaping be 20?

They wanna make sure those smokers are GOOD AND HOOKED before they're "allowed" to vape! Plus it gives the edge to big pharma for all their totally useless quit-smoking crap.

I see the same problem simply with making vaping illegal to minors -- kids DO start smoking in their teens... but as we're seeing since vaping has existed, smoking rates among kids have DECLINED..... People say idiot things like "it's not because of vaping"... but I ask you... what OTHER cause could there POSSIBLY be?????????

Andria

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They wanna make sure those smokers are GOOD AND HOOKED before they're "allowed" to vape! Plus it gives the edge to big pharma for all their totally useless quit-smoking crap.

I see the same problem simply with making vaping illegal to minors -- kids DO start smoking in their teens... but as we're seeing since vaping has existed, smoking rates among kids have DECLINED..... People say idiot things like "it's not because of vaping"... but I ask you... what OTHER cause could there POSSIBLY be?????????

Andria
bingo.

VU Sponsors