Become a Patron!

got hurt, need advice.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so yesterday morning before work, I fell down our stairs (superman) landed at the bottom step. Went to the ER had some cat scans done, deemed unfit to work for two days, yesterday and today. I went ahead and went to work yesterday manager said to go to er so I did. anyways I'm in pain, was given a boat load of meds. I'm on a 3 month probation with Vons. I'm worried they will fire me for not coming to work? I have a note stating to return to work on the 27th. but again I don't know if I should call in, drop in with the note or try to work and bring the note? I can't bend over, I can't lift anything heavy. I feel useless as far as working goes especially when I have to lift heavy things in the deli. so the note says no work, but like I said I'm worried that's a reason to get fired?

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
so yesterday morning before work, I fell down our stairs (superman) landed at the bottom step. Went to the ER had some cat scans done, deemed unfit to work for two days, yesterday and today. I went ahead and went to work yesterday manager said to go to er so I did. anyways I'm in pain, was given a boat load of meds. I'm on a 3 month probation with Vons. I'm worried they will fire me for not coming to work? I have a note stating to return to work on the 27th. but again I don't know if I should call in, drop in with the note or try to work and bring the note? I can't bend over, I can't lift anything heavy. I feel useless as far as working goes especially when I have to lift heavy things in the deli. so the note says no work, but like I said I'm worried that's a reason to get fired?
I don't know about in the US but where I live in Canada, they are not allowed to take any diciplinary action if directed to stay off work by a doctor. You can go on disability if your going to be off for an extended period of time and I think they have to have your job available for you when your cleared to go back.

This is the way I understand it but I could be wrong.

fuseryder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Start with supervisor and call HR, consider using short term disability to cover your time off. This is the proper route for that length of time.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Depends on if you are in a "right to work" state and/or your employer's policies. I'd definitely call and let them know you have a note and ask if they want you to bring it in or what they want you to do.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Also, again, depends on your employer and whether they are big enough to fall under the rules and what your employment status is, but you may be entitled to FMLA time.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not calling in at all for sure is not a good thing...I would call in and explain what happened and that you can show them proof of being in the ER and the doctor recommending you not work.

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I once fell and broke my foot (yes I'm just that graceful) and I do love in a "right to work" state. They did fire me for not going to work after two weeks despite the fact that a doctor had given me a note stating I could not work for 2 more weeks.

Long store short, I was paid unedmployment for 6 months after that while I healed and then found a new job. They tried to fight it with that "right to work" shit and unemployment said "No, y'all a bunch of assholes. Pay her anyway."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TheKidnappedOne

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, as others have stated, find out the laws regarding whether you live in a "right to work", or "at will state", but also review your v companies policy on this sort of thing.
Talk to you manager, a lot of times they will tell you what to expect in each circumstance, if (s)he is a decent manager, and not a dick.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Depends on your company and states policies; coupled, with your work history.

When I got hurt, I was a driver for PepsiCo. Got hit by a car and spent 3 months in the hospital before I left a paraplegic. Pespi was willing to find a job for me in the office, since I could no longer operate a truck. I chose to go back to school though. Still, the employer was willing to bend over backwards and sideways to let me stay there.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you can walk, go to work. Do not speak of your fall.

One of the reasons job probationary periods exist is to ferret out
people who might injure themselves doing every-day things.
no, that's stupid. I could go to work pretend like everything is fine than say I got hurt. had a meeting with a manager and supervisor. it went fine I'll be back to work in a few days. I like my job, they like me. end of story.

VU Sponsors