Become a Patron!

Good Eats

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I beg to disagree. I *love* cotton candy!

I can't say I love it, but it's definitely food. Just because you don't eat something, doesn't mean it's not food -- I don't and will NEVER eat liver or turnip greens, but they're definitely food. (for those with no tastebuds... but still food).

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I can't say I love it, but it's definitely food. Just because you don't eat something, doesn't mean it's not food -- I don't and will NEVER eat liver or turnip greens, but they're definitely food. (for those with no tastebuds... but still food).

Andria

Right there with you as far as the liver and turnip greens. Blech.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Right there with you as far as the liver and turnip greens. Blech.

Yeah... liver tastes and smells like meat-gone-bad, and turnip greens are so fucking bitter, I can't imagine how anyone eats them, if they have working tastebuds. I do like other greens... mustard and collard greens mixed, just LIGHTLY stir-fried, are GREAT. Spinach, but only a) raw, in salad, or b) spanokopita, love that phyllo pastry, and feta cheese. :D

Andria

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
bitter greens stimulate digestive juices and aid in digestion, and is full of nutrient ,,whereas spun sugar has zero food value....one is food the other is a cheap thrill...of course there is a time and a place for cheap thrills, but I usually reserve that for sex...besides what a waste of sugar...when you could make a cake or a gallette or a flan or a cookie, or a cannolli.

Last edited:

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
bitter greens stimulate digestive juices and aid in digestion, and is full of nutrient ,,whereas spun sugar has zero food value....one is food the other is a cheap thrill...of course there is a time and a place for cheap thrills, but I usually reserve that for sex...besides what a waste of sugar...when you could make a cake or a gallette or a flan or a cookie, or a cannolli.

Or you could just enjoy life and eat some cotton candy. :D

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Dinner tonight is egg salad sammiches. I absolutely love cooking eggs in the pressure cooker. Five minutes and a dozen eggs slip out of their shells without any problem at all.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
eggs-bread-bowls-ay-1940815-x.jpg

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Finally got off my ass this evening and got my herb seeds soaking. They need to soak overnight before planting. The weather is still pretty cool (chilly today) but I got a bunch of mini-pots that have detachable hooks. I'll plant them tomorrow (after I nag hubby to drill drain holes in the bottom) and sit them in a window sill until it warms up a little more. Then they'll hang from the hooks off our uglyass chain link fence. Hopefully in a couple of months, I'll have a slew of fresh herbs to cook with!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally got off my ass this evening and got my herb seeds soaking. They need to soak overnight before planting. The weather is still pretty cool (chilly today) but I got a bunch of mini-pots that have detachable hooks. I'll plant them tomorrow (after I nag hubby to drill drain holes in the bottom) and sit them in a window sill until it warms up a little more. Then they'll hang from the hooks off our uglyass chain link fence. Hopefully in a couple of months, I'll have a slew of fresh herbs to cook with!
I'm out to the garden today myself.it's planting time...I planted 84 bulbs of garlic in the fall and they are doing really good this spring..I gotta plant some Calabrian peppers today a tomatoe plant,scallions and carrots need to be planted ..beans could be planted...I have a big oregeno bush, and the sage plant is doing great. I need to get basil and parsley planted.These are a couple of artichokes I recently picked off my artichoke plant
20170416_113421.jpg

Last edited:

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm out to the garden today myself.it's planting time...I planted 84 bulbs of garlic in the fall and they are doing really good this spring..I gotta plant some Calabrian peppers today a tomatoe plant,scallions and carrots need to be planted ..beans could be planted...I have a big oregeno bush, and the sage plant is doing great. I need to get basil and parsley planted.These are a couple of artichokes I recently picked off my artichoke plant
View attachment 80929

You are far more ambitious than I am. :) I'm planting sweet basil, Italian parsley, chives, garlic chives, summer savory, sweet marjoram, thyme, sage, mustard, oregano, dill and cilantro. I've never had much of a green thumb but I'm hoping I can at least do some herbs. :teehee: The seed packets all have directions on the back as far as soaking, planting, how much sunlight and how moist they should be kept.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You are far more ambitious than I am. :) I'm planting sweet basil, Italian parsley, chives, garlic chives, summer savory, sweet marjoram, thyme, sage, mustard, oregano, dill and cilantro. I've never had much of a green thumb but I'm hoping I can at least do some herbs. :teehee: The seed packets all have directions on the back as far as soaking, planting, how much sunlight and how moist they should be kept.

If you run into any problems with fungal growth in your starter pots in the house, use sulfur; it kills fungus, but leaves edible plants edible, unlike a great many other antifungals.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, good to know! Here's one I thought you might be able to use.

1236070_726940897358133_8742453771706157259_n.jpg

Thx, that sounds yummy! I wonder if you can substitute regular milk for the almond milk? It's not something we normally buy, and it's kinda pricey. I do have some almond butter, which I could maybe add a dollop of, for the flavor.

I had a LOT of problems with fungal growth, when I started lavender in the house in small pots, but since I wasn't planning to use the lavender for anything edible or otherwise consumable, I just used Immunox -- which can't be used on any edible, as it's a systemic antifungal -- but sulfur works almost as well, and it's not poisonous, plus it washes off cleanly. Smells horrible, like rotten eggs, but it leaves your food or herb crops safe to consume. Good for tomato seedlings too! Or really anything that, when mature, needs a drier environment, but needs moisture for good germination. Cool + moisture nearly always causes a fungus problem.

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thx, that sounds yummy! I wonder if you can substitute regular milk for the almond milk? It's not something we normally buy, and it's kinda pricey. I do have some almond butter, which I could maybe add a dollop of, for the flavor.

I had a LOT of problems with fungal growth, when I started lavender in the house in small pots, but since I wasn't planning to use the lavender for anything edible or otherwise consumable, I just used Immunox -- which can't be used on any edible, as it's a systemic antifungal -- but sulfur works almost as well, and it's not poisonous, plus it washes off cleanly. Smells horrible, like rotten eggs, but it leaves your food or herb crops safe to consume. Good for tomato seedlings too! Or really anything that, when mature, needs a drier environment, but needs moisture for good germination. Cool + moisture nearly always causes a fungus problem.

Andria

I'm sure regular milk would work fine.

Oh, trust me, I have no problem with the smell of sulfur. Sometimes, I actually miss it, believe it or not. There was a huge sulfur mine/factory/whathaveyou in my hometown. Sometimes the sulfur in the air was so thick the air was actually yellow. I was just thinking of adding some diatomaceaous earth to the potting mix. I'll have to see if the nursery store has some sulfur.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm sure regular milk would work fine.

Oh, trust me, I have no problem with the smell of sulfur. Sometimes, I actually miss it, believe it or not. There was a huge sulfur mine/factory/whathaveyou in my hometown. Sometimes the sulfur in the air was so thick the air was actually yellow. I was just thinking of adding some diatomaceaous earth to the potting mix. I'll have to see if the nursery store has some sulfur.

I haven't bought any in quite a long time -- a 5 lb bag goes a long way! :giggle: But I think I got it at Home Depot. The diatomaceous earth is GREAT for keeping the damn slugs out!

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I haven't bought any in quite a long time -- a 5 lb bag goes a long way! :giggle: But I think I got it at Home Depot. The diatomaceous earth is GREAT for keeping the damn slugs out!

Andria

I don't know that we have any slugs but I know we have snails and other nasties, and I'm sure they're quite capable of climbing a chain link fence. :mad:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the secret to getting stuff like peppers and herbs to sprouting is a heating mat..you can pick one up for like 20 bucks, but if you live in a warm climate you can get away without one. alot of them just have a long germenation period.Yeah I'm a pretty ambitious gardner..oddly enough it was cooking that got me interested in gardening..I found out I had a green thumb..although my Dad says I got through my blood.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
the secret to getting stuff like peppers and herbs to sprouting is a heating mat..you can pick one up for like 20 bucks, but if you live in a warm climate you can get away without one. alot of them just have a long germenation period.Yeah I'm a pretty ambitious gardner..oddly enough it was cooking that got me interested in gardening..I found out I had a green thumb..although my Dad says I got through my blood.

I can kill any plant without even trying. :D I even killed my inlaws bonsai tree they entrusted to us for the winter while they were traveling one year. Spray painted it green and it took them awhile to notice. :teehee:

Herbs have been planted and are now sitting in our bay window in the front of the house. It gets good sunlight through most of the day and is the warmest place in the house. The weather should start warming up soon, then they'll go outside.

18192643_1501426706548356_4459129344564841606_o.jpg

This is the only plant I haven't managed to kill. It's from my FIL's funeral March of last year. MIL wanted to keep two, this one and another fern-type thing, but that one died. I think the roots just squashed themselves to death. Hubby is the worst procrastinator. I kept asking him to get another pot and some soil so I could re-pot it, but he could never bother. After I finished the herbs today, there was enough potting mix left to re-pot this one, as I've been meaning to do. The roots were definitely squashed and need more room. I think it's apropos that the only pot I have to use is one they brought us from Mexico on one of their journeys. Hopefully, it'll like it's new home. :)

18192765_1501428219881538_4259227538044262914_o.jpg

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can kill any plant without even trying. :D I even killed my inlaws bonsai tree they entrusted to us for the winter while they were traveling one year. Spray painted it green and it took them awhile to notice. :teehee:

Herbs have been planted and are now sitting in our bay window in the front of the house. It gets good sunlight through most of the day and is the warmest place in the house. The weather should start warming up soon, then they'll go outside.

18192643_1501426706548356_4459129344564841606_o.jpg

This is the only plant I haven't managed to kill. It's from my FIL's funeral March of last year. MIL wanted to keep two, this one and another fern-type thing, but that one died. I think the roots just squashed themselves to death. Hubby is the worst procrastinator. I kept asking him to get another pot and some soil so I could re-pot it, but he could never bother. After I finished the herbs today, there was enough potting mix left to re-pot this one, as I've been meaning to do. The roots were definitely squashed and need more room. I think it's apropos that the only pot I have to use is one they brought us from Mexico on one of their journeys. Hopefully, it'll like it's new home. :)

18192765_1501428219881538_4259227538044262914_o.jpg

I have no difficulties whatever killing ANY indoor plant. Outdoors, as long as they have good, loose soil, and plenty of moisture, mother nature takes care of them, but indoors, they're at my mercy... and I'm both forgetful and a champion procrastinator. And even outdoors, if they're in a pot, i can kill 'em thru sheer inattention -- I had a nice rosemary growing in a pot on my front porch -- because rosemary can't abide any type of fertilizer at all, so a pot is really best -- but during that long drought we had last year, I KEPT procrastinating watering it... and of course my mother was dying in the hospital, and then I was grieving, and I just never watered that rosemary... and it died. So I'll have to get another this year, and hope I remember to water it now and then. :D

Andria

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I adore Big Night!
haven't seen that, but it looks interesting. Will have to see if it's on netflix.

You can also use a plain one for making great omelets (or frittata or whatever you want to call it). Put some potatoes on the bottom (hash browns, diced potatoes, french fries, even crushed potato chips work well). Add whatever veggies or other toppings you want. Scramble 2-3 eggs, pour over everything, top with shredded cheese, cook on regular (white rice) setting. Boom, yummy breakfast without standing in the kitchen.
That sounds really good!

I can also kill anything that grows. Even silk flowers start to look wilty in my care :teehee: But I've been asking my son if we could do a container herb garden. But I'm sure he could give your hubby a run for his money on procrastination! A class mate of his did give him two jalapeno plants, and now we have one teensy lil jalapeno on one of em! Hope they make it.

Thanks, good to know! Here's one I thought you might be able to use.

1236070_726940897358133_8742453771706157259_n.jpg
I can't tell from the pic, are these individual cookies, or a bar cookie? Sounds yummy!

I saw something I really want to try on Guys Grocery Games tonite. There was a vegan lady on there. She put pitted dates, and a lot of cashews in a food processor........processed til it was a really smooth paste. Rolled it into a square log in plastic wrap and chilled it in the blast chiller. Of course we would use the fridge for several hours probably. No idea how many dates and cashews, would just have to experiment. But anyhow........everyone said it tasted just like caramels. She put some salt on top and some rose and lavender.....one judge said she wished it had a lil more salt and that the lavender was overpowering, but other than that, they were all amazed by how creamy and even buttery it tasted, and just like caramels.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I saw something I really want to try on Guys Grocery Games tonite. There was a vegan lady on there. She put pitted dates, and a lot of cashews in a food processor........processed til it was a really smooth paste. Rolled it into a square log in plastic wrap and chilled it in the blast chiller. Of course we would use the fridge for several hours probably. No idea how many dates and cashews, would just have to experiment. But anyhow........everyone said it tasted just like caramels. She put some salt on top and some rose and lavender.....one judge said she wished it had a lil more salt and that the lavender was overpowering, but other than that, they were all amazed by how creamy and even buttery it tasted, and just like caramels.

I fail to see the point in even trying that to end up with a caramel version of "tastes like chicken." Why waste two perfectly good food items - dates & cashews - trying to turn it into a rendition of something it was never intended to be? Gastric alchemy? (And what the hell? Lavender + rose water = "caramel"? :blech: )

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
haven't seen that, but it looks interesting. Will have to see if it's on netflix.

That sounds really good!

I can also kill anything that grows. Even silk flowers start to look wilty in my care :teehee: But I've been asking my son if we could do a container herb garden. But I'm sure he could give your hubby a run for his money on procrastination! A class mate of his did give him two jalapeno plants, and now we have one teensy lil jalapeno on one of em! Hope they make it.

I can't tell from the pic, are these individual cookies, or a bar cookie? Sounds yummy!

yeah, well hate to spoil the illusion but butter taste like butter and nothing else and sugar taste like sugar...I have a friend who is a raw food....cook? and over the years she's pressed many a raw food deserts on me there have been some surprisingly good deserts but, no...raw foods cheesecake isn't real cheesecake, and chocolate mousse made with avacado doesn't hold a candle to real chocolate mousse...nothing is quite so good as the taste of real sin.

57b5b7c7c0cf0b5187b19194ef38de23.jpg

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mark Twain went on a european vacation and after months of european food he longed for an American meal...this is the meal he envisioned. From the book "A Tramp Abroad"....

It has now been many months, at the present writing, since I have had a nourishing meal, but I shall soon have one—a modest, private affair, all to myself. I have selected a few dishes, and made out a little bill of fare, which will go home in the steamer that precedes me, and be hot when I arrive—as follows:

Radishes. Baked apples, with cream
Fried oysters; stewed oysters. Frogs.
American coffee, with real cream.
American butter.
Fried chicken, Southern style.
Porter-house steak.
Saratoga potatoes.
Broiled chicken, American style.
Hot biscuits, Southern style.
Hot wheat-bread, Southern style.
Hot buckwheat cakes.
American toast. Clear maple syrup.
Virginia bacon, broiled.
Blue points, on the half shell.
Cherry-stone clams.
San Francisco mussels, steamed.
Oyster soup. Clam Soup.
Philadelphia Terapin soup.
Oysters roasted in shell-Northern style.
Soft-shell crabs. Connecticut shad.
Baltimore perch.
Brook trout, from Sierra Nevadas.
Lake trout, from Tahoe.
Sheep-head and croakers, from New Orleans.
Black bass from the Mississippi.
American roast beef.
Roast turkey, Thanksgiving style.
Cranberry sauce. Celery.
Roast wild turkey. Woodcock.
Canvas-back-duck, from Baltimore.
Prairie liens, from Illinois.
Missouri partridges, broiled.
'Possum. ****.
Boston bacon and beans.
Bacon and greens, Southern style.
Hominy. Boiled onions. Turnips.
Pumpkin. Squash. Asparagus.
Butter beans. Sweet potatoes.
Lettuce. Succotash. String beans.
Mashed potatoes. Catsup.
Boiled potatoes, in their skins.
New potatoes, minus the skins.
Early rose potatoes, roasted in the ashes, Southern style, served hot.
Sliced tomatoes, with sugar or vinegar. Stewed tomatoes.
Green corn, cut from the ear and served with butter and pepper.
Green corn, on the ear.
Hot corn-pone, with chitlings, Southern style.
Hot hoe-cake, Southern style.
Hot egg-bread, Southern style.
Hot light-bread, Southern style.
Buttermilk. Iced sweet milk.
Apple dumplings, with real cream.
Apple pie. Apple fritters.
Apple puffs, Southern style.
Peach cobbler, Southern style
Peach pie. American mince pie.
Pumpkin pie. Squash pie.
All sorts of American pastry.
Fresh American fruits of all sorts, including strawberries which are not to be doled out as if they were jewelry, but in a more liberal way.
Ice-water—not prepared in the ineffectual goblet, but in the sincere and capable refrigerator.

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I fail to see the point in even trying that to end up with a caramel version of "tastes like chicken." Why waste two perfectly good food items - dates & cashews - trying to turn it into a rendition of something it was never intended to be? Gastric alchemy? (And what the hell? Lavender + rose water = "caramel"? :blech: )
I don't get the lavender and rose buds on top of em, that sounds gross, but the dates/cashews sounds really good. Dunno if it tastes like caramels or not, but I would try it minus the flowers. I just thought it was interesting

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't get the lavender and rose buds on top of em

There are so many times where these vidiots shoot themselves in the foot on these contest shows trying to do something or be something different - just because they can. More often than not it ends up in a " the lavender was overpowering" fail like that.

I can put sliced kiwi on a prime rib too - just because I can - but I think I have enough discernment to know it's a thing not worthy of even trying.

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are so many times where these vidiots shoot themselves in the foot on these contest shows trying to do something or be something different - just because they can. More often than not it ends up in a " the lavender was overpowering" fail like that.
Jup. but they do a lot of amazin stuff too. But yeah they do have some major fails trying to be chefy

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have no difficulties whatever killing ANY indoor plant. Outdoors, as long as they have good, loose soil, and plenty of moisture, mother nature takes care of them, but indoors, they're at my mercy... and I'm both forgetful and a champion procrastinator. And even outdoors, if they're in a pot, i can kill 'em thru sheer inattention -- I had a nice rosemary growing in a pot on my front porch -- because rosemary can't abide any type of fertilizer at all, so a pot is really best -- but during that long drought we had last year, I KEPT procrastinating watering it... and of course my mother was dying in the hospital, and then I was grieving, and I just never watered that rosemary... and it died. So I'll have to get another this year, and hope I remember to water it now and then. :D

Andria

That's one great thing about this plant - it tells me when it wants water. I've read up on caring for it and it said that many owners wait until the leaves get droopy, which helps prevent over-watering. Once I started doing that (and moved it out of the direct sunlight in the bay window to a place where it can get indirect sunlight), it really started thriving. I'll even manage to get a white flower now and then. :)

But I'm sure he could give your hubby a run for his money on procrastination!

I dunno about that. He didn't bother asking his brother to be his best man until his brother was already here for a family reunion. They knew we were getting married, of course. I'd sent out invitations. We planned it during a time when the most people would be here for the already-scheduled reunion. The night before we got married, he asked his older brother to be his best man. And it's not like he didn't know that's who he was going to ask, either. He'd just put it off until he couldn't put it off any longer. :giggle:

It was a game show hosted by a douche canoe. They lied. :giggle::giggle:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm glad I didn't plant the herbs outside.

18301106_1503592619665098_7778343334281048086_n.jpg

I was just sitting here thinking, "I'm so glad I live in GA"... but then I recalled what the weatherman said on the news last night, that after the rain that's expected on Thursday, it's going to get a LOT cooler.... and I'm thinking, WTF, it's May! And it was mid-50s when I got up around 11, so... much cooler than THAT??? WTF, this is GEORGIA!

:facepalm:
Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is what we're expecting for the next week. *sigh* At least it's not snow.
b22656b645d3b40256483bf8379fcbf0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is what we're expecting for the next week. *sigh* At least it's not snow.
b22656b645d3b40256483bf8379fcbf0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
well it's hot here...so peppers, tomatoes basil and holyhocks went in the ground.if it holds to the weekend..carrots beans, and scallions get planted.gladiolas and sunflowers. to.

You plant olly ocks? Old school. :cool:

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That is absolutely my favorite time, in growing things... whole new life! It makes me feel so maternal, a whole new flock of babies! :giggle:

Andria

Makes me feel like I've accomplished something. I hope the others do well. We've finally got a sunny, warmish (54) day today so they're sitting outside, soaking up the goodness. :)

VU Sponsors