Become a Patron!

Good Eats

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What would that be in pounds? Trying to figure the proportion in context of the other ingredients.
kinda depends on how much meat you like in it too. thighs have far less meat than breasts of course, but sooooo much better flavor. Specially if ya get on the bone.

I'm a huge mushroom fan also, anyway I can get em.

I did a crockpot pork butt last night. Ok, I don't use recipes so sorry Rick, but try to play along. :D

3 cans cr of mushroom soup, or soup of choice for khassy lol
I'll say 3 - 3.5 cans of water, a little at a time and whisk in. If you put it all in at once, you'll slop it everywhere. Well, I will anyhow.
Lawry's season salt......shake til yur arm is tired. I'd say maybe 15 shakes from the large can
Garlic powder maybe 8 shakes
Onion Powder maybe 6 shakes. Shake these 3 into the soup mixture. You want it fairly runny, much thinner than you would for use for soup.

I use crock pot liners, that's up to you. Put liner in, add pork butt.......pour on soup. Cook on high for around 16 hours. I start mine the night before. Cooking it that long really breaks down the collagen in the meat, and particularly with mushroom soup makes the most incredible gravy to spoon over smashed taters.

Take the meat out, let it cool enough to handle. Pork butt has a lot of fat with meat hidden in the fat. So use your hands, you'll easily feel the difference between meat and fat when you're going through it. Shred the meat, put it back in. I typically do this once the meat is cooked, but before the 16 hr mark, but it really doesn't matter.

Ladle over smashed taters. I've never tried it with other soup, so not sure how it would be. Cr of broccoli might be a good one to try for khassy. I think a white soup base would be better than cr of chicken for gravy purposes, but dunno really

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
13007297_1159500957407601_6632755641705563516_n.jpg

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Here's a question for y'all:

When you were young dumb and pretty - and first moved out of the house - did you immediately do some changing up on some of the kitchen basics? For me it was:

No more canned vegetables. Frozen - what a concept!
Minute rice? You gotta be kidding.
Instant coffee be gone.
Potatoes in a box. (No idea when it happened but Moms was getting lazy...)

That's just a few things that got switched out, probably in my very first grocery shopping trips.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

When you were young dumb and pretty - and first moved out of the house - did you immediately do some changing up on some of the kitchen basics? For me it was:

Instant coffee be gone.

That's just a few things that got switched out, probably in my very first grocery shopping trips.

When I first moved out, it was mostly eating one bowl of ramen every day and splurging on payday for a bowl of kimchi soup. Of course, at the time, I was living in Korea. :D Here, though, I have no idea what I was eating. It was too long ago. But you'll never, EVER catch me eating minute rice. I'd rather starve. Ugh. Rice cookers are cheap enough, there's no excuse for minute rice.

You want great mashed taters? Use a ricer rather than a smasher. It definitely makes a difference.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
But you'll never, EVER catch me eating minute rice. I'd rather starve. Ugh. Rice cookers are cheap enough, there's no excuse for minute rice.

My first encounter with rice was in grade school cuisine (lol). One of the regulars on the lunch menu was meatloaf with a side of rice. I loved me the rice and had to beg Mom to make it at home. Even then I knew Minute Rice wasn't the same as the real thing I was getting at school. But when you are 10 there isn't much you can do about it.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My first encounter with rice was in grade school cuisine (lol). One of the regulars on the lunch menu was meatloaf with a side of rice. I loved me the rice and had to beg Mom to make it at home. Even then I knew Minute Rice wasn't the same as the real thing I was getting at school. But when you are 10 there isn't much you can do about it.

Take real rice. Boil it for 2 hours. Pour the water out. Refill the pot with more water. Boil another 2 hours. Repeat 3-4 times. Result: minute rice - something that kinda sorta resembles real rice in look but tastes like nothing and has the mouth feel of dead maggots. :D

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Actually it's full of "rice rejects." Like shards they sweep up from the factory floor. Same as with instant oatmeal - shatter it into tiny bits that cannot help but cook... way too fast.

I do not want to know how you came about the knowledge of what "the mouth feel of dead maggots" is. :blech:

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I do not want to know how you came about the knowledge of what "the mouth feel of dead maggots" is. :blech:

Trust me, I'd rather not know. :teehee:

It's easy enough to cook a pot of rice or steel cut oatmeal when you have time, then fridge or freezer a serving. I always cook more than we can eat so I'll have enough leftovers. Savory steel cut oatmeal took me awhile to wrap my head around but once I did, man o man, was I glad! Nomnomnom. :bingo:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Instant coffee be gone.

Hmm, not really.

Leseuer peas are the best early peas you can buy, and I love the Green Giant Summer Crisp corn too. And sometimes I buy "baked beans," though only the "vegetarian" kind because that plug of fat in the other kind is just gross, and I always doctor them a little, never serve them as-is.

I buy "instant" (well, actually it's "quick") rice, but I buy brown rice, not white; that's one aspect that changed completely. Also I rarely buy name brands for things that are just as good in store-brand.

Instant coffee is the only kind that's ever in this house, because my husband is the only one who drinks it, and only on the weekends, and he drinks decaf thx to HBP. We have no "coffee maker." But NEVER any instant tea, because that shit is just NASTY.

I never liked instant potatoes, and now they could be fatal to me, since they're color-preserved with sulfites, and I have asthma. I read every label on every prepared food I buy, and never buy ANY that contain ANY sulfites.

The things that absolutely DID change are: I buy ONLY whole-grain bread, and double-fiber if I can find it. I buy ONLY whole wheat pasta. And as mentioned above, ONLY brown rice. And... Entenmann's, Lil Debbie, and Hostess NEVER enter my house. EVER. If I want to eat pure sugar and fat, I have three or four kinds of sugar here, plenty of Smart Balance, and spoons. :)

Andria

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
actually ..I suppose I was lucky..I grew up around alot of farm people, or the childeren of farmers, and so food and the growing of food was something they were knowledgable and passionate about...it was not uncommon at my grandparents table for dinner to last an hour or more as each dish was appraised and savored. where my grandmother refused to every buy ground beef, but ground her own, where the last act of the day was to water the vegetable garden.I mean all my grandparents though none of them became farmers could all raise and butcher animals,grow a garden, and preserve food.and they did from time to time...so when I left home though I knew what bad food was and ate alot of it, I also knew what good food was...and as an adult became as passionate about good food as my grandparents.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm, not really.

Leseuer peas are the best early peas you can buy, and I love the Green Giant Summer Crisp corn too. And sometimes I buy "baked beans," though only the "vegetarian" kind because that plug of fat in the other kind is just gross, and I always doctor them a little, never serve them as-is.

I buy "instant" (well, actually it's "quick") rice, but I buy brown rice, not white; that's one aspect that changed completely. Also I rarely buy name brands for things that are just as good in store-brand.

Instant coffee is the only kind that's ever in this house, because my husband is the only one who drinks it, and only on the weekends, and he drinks decaf thx to HBP. We have no "coffee maker." But NEVER any instant tea, because that shit is just NASTY.

I never liked instant potatoes, and now they could be fatal to me, since they're color-preserved with sulfites, and I have asthma. I read every label on every prepared food I buy, and never buy ANY that contain ANY sulfites.

The things that absolutely DID change are: I buy ONLY whole-grain bread, and double-fiber if I can find it. I buy ONLY whole wheat pasta. And as mentioned above, ONLY brown rice. And... Entenmann's, Lil Debbie, and Hostess NEVER enter my house. EVER. If I want to eat pure sugar and fat, I have three or four kinds of sugar here, plenty of Smart Balance, and spoons. :)

Andria
yeah almost nothing in my house comes out of a box or a can...as for grains....well lately I've given up on all grains for awhile,especially wheat...so far we are really enjoying being off grains 90% of the time.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The things that absolutely DID change are: I buy ONLY whole-grain bread, and double-fiber if I can find it.

That was another thing I changed out quick. We grew up with Wonder bread. :blech: ANYTHING is better than Wonder bread. And it is true - if you play with a slice and roll it around between your thumb and forefinger you will end up with something the size of a pea.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That was another thing I changed out quick. We grew up with Wonder bread. :blech: ANYTHING is better than Wonder bread. And it is true - if you play with a slice and roll it around between your thumb and forefinger you will end up with something the size of a pea.

Except with egg salad. Gotta have soft white bread for that. :) Although piling some egg salad on an english muffin, topped with some cheese and toasted in the oven until it's all melty is NOMNOMNOM!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Except with egg salad. Gotta have soft white bread for that. :) Although piling some egg salad on an english muffin, topped with some cheese and toasted in the oven until it's all melty is NOMNOMNOM!

If you really must have white bread, sourdough is a better choice. I object to anything made with white flour because white flour came into existence because people travelling 6 months across the prairie in conestoga wagons needed something that wouldn't spoil, so ALL the actually-good-for-you parts have been milled out, leaving NOTHING but empty carbohydrate -- you'd probably get more nutrition from the paper that flour is packaged in, and certainly more fiber! I refuse to eat "artificial food", I want REAL food. Same for white rice -- all the good-for-you parts have been milled away. The way a food looks is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT, it's what it does for your body that's important, as well as how it tastes.

I'm gradually switching from white sugar too, to something called "morena raw cane sugar" -- it's light brown, and has little stray bits of cane in it; it hasn't been bleached and re-colored as regular brown sugar has been; it's just crystallized and left unbleached; it has a slightly larger grain than normal crystallized cane sugar. However, for oatmeal and cold cereal, I still prefer white sugar; brown sugar just doesn't taste right to me. For tea, I use mostly the Morena, and a little bit of white sugar. I refuse to use any sugar that doesn't say "cane" because it's beet sugar, and it tastes and smells like a root cellar, mildewy, really nasty.

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I like ciabatta and sourdough but for egg salad, nothing beats smushy white bread, imo. Gotta have it just for that. Otherwise, we eat whole wheat or something I've made.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Dinner tonight was spinach and cheese ravioli from Schwans with my own homemade marinara.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I like ciabatta and sourdough but for egg salad, nothing beats smushy white bread, imo. Gotta have it just for that. Otherwise, we eat whole wheat or something I've made.

I can get that, because for years, even after i had switchd to w/w bread, if I was sick and just eating plain buttered toast, I wanted plain white bread; comfort food, I guess. :) Now, though I normally eat dbl fiber whole wheat, if i want the "plain buttered toast", I use the whole wheat french bread we buy that I use for my husband's lunch sandwiches, or for garlic bread. It's also really good for plain buttered toast, or buttered toast with honey.

Andria

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Instant coffee be gone.
what are you talkin about? I'm still young dumb and pretty! :teehee: I'm with you I don't like canned veggies, but my dil buys them a lot, but we do also use a lot of frozen. When I had my place, it was frozen only except for some canned beans.

I hate minute rice, and instant taters, but again, dil gets both :rolleyes: Wish I had a nickel for every tater I've peeled over the years.
the only thing I do like instant coffee for is making iced coffee drinks. Some of the liquid flavored creamers (yeah I know they're bad) are great to make one really easy.

Rice cookers are cheap enough
I know a lotta folks have issues cooking rice in a pot, but bring it to a boil, cover, and put it on the lowest setting. Perfect rice. I even forgot about for 1.5 hours one time when I was crafting, still was great. So to me a rice cooker is a waste of space.

steel cut oatmeal
never tried this but always wanted to. I don't get the instant oats, but the regular ones aren't a whole lot better.

actually ..I suppose I was lucky..I grew up around alot of farm people, or the childeren of farmers, and so food and the growing of food was something they were knowledgable and passionate about...it was not uncommon at my grandparents table for dinner to last an hour or more as each dish was appraised and savored. where my grandmother refused to every buy ground beef, but ground her own, where the last act of the day was to water the vegetable garden.I mean all my grandparents though none of them became farmers could all raise and butcher animals,grow a garden, and preserve food.and they did from time to time...so when I left home though I knew what bad food was and ate alot of it, I also knew what good food was...and as an adult became as passionate about good food as my grandparents.
that's wonderful!

Except with egg salad. Gotta have soft white bread for that
and for me BLT's. soft squishy really bad for ya white bread. With egg salad, I would rather have a toasted english muffin, but I typically eat it with crackers. I like some kind of crunch with egg salad.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I know a lotta folks have issues cooking rice in a pot, but bring it to a boil, cover, and put it on the lowest setting. Perfect rice. I even forgot about for 1.5 hours one time when I was crafting, still was great. So to me a rice cooker is a waste of space.

I have a cheap rice cooker. It works, but it really is a one trick pony. (Oh - mine has a steamer insert. Whee.) I only use it for stuff that takes more monitoring and longer cooking times like wild rice. Or if I need the extra burner space on the stove. They are convenient - as far as not having to think about them if you have a lot going on all at once - but like I said: one trick pony.

For your basic white rices I don't see any need though. It's always "One, two, twenty." One part rice, two parts water, twenty minutes." (And some salt and oil.)

For those who need elaboration: Get your water up to boil - covered so you don't lose much from evaporation. At that point add your oil and salt, maybe give it a minute to recover a boil, dump your rice in and stir so it doesn't stick to the bottom. Get an "almost boiling" back, cover, turn the heat down as low as possible. (I use a heat diffuser myself.) 20 minutes later - stir - done.

That one never baffles me.

never tried this but always wanted to. I don't get the instant oats, but the regular ones aren't a whole lot better.

The only difference is how they are milled. (There is no such thing as a Quick Oats farm.) The thicker the oats are milled the longer the cooking time. (And the more texture.) By the time you get down to "instant" - which is just really thin tiny bits & pieces - you might as well whip up some wallpaper paste. At that point there is hardly any texture left at all.

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only difference is how they are milled. (There is no such thing as a Quick Oats farm.) The thicker the oats are milled the longer the cooking time. (And the more texture.) By the time you get down to "instant" - which is just really thin tiny bits & pieces - you might as well whip up some wallpaper paste. At that point there is hardly any texture left at all.
Jup

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can also cook rice really easily in the oven. And rice cookers can be used for steel cut oatmeal. I've cooked rice and steamed veggies at the same time, and used it to steam shrimp and frozen manapua. Mine also has a brown rice setting. It's one step up from the basic single push button. You can also use a plain one for making great omelets (or frittata or whatever you want to call it). Put some potatoes on the bottom (hash browns, diced potatoes, french fries, even crushed potato chips work well). Add whatever veggies or other toppings you want. Scramble 2-3 eggs, pour over everything, top with shredded cheese, cook on regular (white rice) setting. Boom, yummy breakfast without standing in the kitchen. :)

I despise rolled oats in anything but cookies. I hate how slimy they get no matter how you cook them. Blech. Steel cut only for me, thanks very much! :)

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh, make sure you spray the inside of the rice cooker with Pam or oil or whatever to keep the eggs from sticking.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

My main gripe with "instant oatmeal" is... that obscenely long list of ingredients! Most of which are chemicals! AARGHH! I like "quick oats", they cook in 2 minutes, BUT, they contain NOTHING but water and salt, no chemical garbage needed!!! And I'm pretty sure that the sodium content of "instant oatmeal" is FAR higher than the bit of salt I add when cooking quick oats.

Andria

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
You can also use a plain one for making great omelets (or frittata or whatever you want to call it). Put some potatoes on the bottom (hash browns, diced potatoes, french fries, even crushed potato chips work well). Add whatever veggies or other toppings you want. Scramble 2-3 eggs, pour over everything, top with shredded cheese, cook on regular (white rice) setting. Boom, yummy breakfast without standing in the kitchen.

Ok, that sounds so out of the box for a rice cooker I have to try it.

If you are using raw potatoes don't you need to par cook then first? Evan at a small-medium dice do they get cooked through?

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok, that sounds so out of the box for a rice cooker I have to try it.

If you are using raw potatoes don't you need to par cook then first? Evan at a small-medium dice do they get cooked through?

Probably very small dice or shredded would work, as they're on the very bottom where it gets the most direct heat. Honestly, though, I've only used either frozen or leftover potatoes. :) But my favorite is to use crushed up sour cream and chive potato chips.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
One of my favorite scenes.it reminds me of me and my wife...She tells me all the time"You know it's not always about the food" and I keep telling her.."It's ALWAYS about the food"

One of the greatest scenes in the movie and it really nails just how he feels about food and what he's doing. NO compromising, ever.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got my mom a bread machine years ago, still works. The bread that comes out of it is ok but not like sandwich bread. More of a heavy/dense bread more suited as a side to things like soups or stew. The hole in the bottom does suck lol. Mostly it's used for kneading dough for things like homemade cinnamon rolls.

It's pretty sad, ever since moving to the midwest commonly referred to as the 'bread basket' of the US due to all the agriculture around, I've had the least access to decent bread or veggies and fruit than anywhere else I've lived. Including the southwest desert. It's been a real let down for sure. Veggies are tiny and shriveled, look like they've been picked over. They have no clue what 'sourdough' or 'italian' bread is here.

Even the hay they grow here for livestock is shitty, grass and brown, most of the time it's moldy and crappy looking. Wimpy little 55lb bales. Compared to places like Arizona with 100-110lb bales of thick pure lush green alfalfa hay locally grown. One big reason, farmers in the southwest know that plants need water and if it doesn't fall out of the sky there's a thing called irrigation or a watering hose. The lazy bastards out here, if it rains the crops get watered. If it doesn't, oh well.

Some folks mentioned rice, I'm not a fan of sticky rice. Usually grab regular white rice in a bag (not boxed minute rice) but prefer basmati for the drier more loose grains or mixed wild rice (great when stuffed in cornish game hens). Not easy to get basmati here either, some of the local stores claim to carry it but it's not true basmati. Not sure what it is, more like plain white rice.

When it comes to tacos I just grab a bag of corn tortillas and fry them up into shells. Not a fan of the hard crunchy baked ones like they serve in kits, they remind me of the ones from school cafeteria lunches. It only takes a few minutes to put some oil in a frying pan, drop a tortilla in and let it bubble up for a second. Grasp one end with a pair of tongs and fold it over to form the shell, then flip it back over to finish frying the other side. Removed from the oil and held upright to drain excess oil out of it. Makes for a softer shell that can be crispy but doesn't shatter when you bite into it like a cracker.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Got my mom a bread machine years ago, still works. The bread that comes out of it is ok but not like sandwich bread. More of a heavy/dense bread more suited as a side to things like soups or stew. The hole in the bottom does suck lol. Mostly it's used for kneading dough for things like homemade cinnamon rolls.

That's more to do with the recipe than with the machine itself, most likely. Try this website. Tons of great recipes and their bread machine sandwich bread is really good.

Some folks mentioned rice, I'm not a fan of sticky rice. Usually grab regular white rice in a bag (not boxed minute rice) but prefer basmati for the drier more loose grains or mixed wild rice (great when stuffed in cornish game hens). Not easy to get basmati here either, some of the local stores claim to carry it but it's not true basmati. Not sure what it is, more like plain white rice.

If you can get ahold of some, try Jasmine rice. Looser grains and nice flavor, doesn't get sticky (unless overcooked).

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
MMmmm... Korean steel cut oatmeal for breakfast. My favorite way to start a chilly morning. :)

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Pasta salad anyone?

This is a no-name recipe that came off a bag of Christmas Tree shaped pasta. Crappy pasta but the recipe is pretty good. Basically it's a variation on a greek pasta salad. The ingredients and quantities are listed as-is, but see lot's of comments as the end - tweak the hell out of it as you wish.

• 12 oz. tri-color pasta
    6 oz. jar marinated artichokes
    2 tsp. lemon juice
    3/4 can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
    3/4 cup black olives
    1/2 cup green onions, sliced
    1/2 cup celery, sliced
    1 cup red bell pepper strips (1/4 x 1")
    1 tsp. oregano
    1&1/2 cup Italian dressing
    1/2 cup Feta, crumbled

Drain artichokes, reserve the liquid & quarter artichokes. Cook pasta & drain - do not overcook! Add pasta to a large bowl & toss with reserved artichoke liquid and lemon juice. Add quartered artichokes, kidney beans, olives, onion, celery, bell pepper & oregano. Combine gently and chill. One hour before serving add Italian dressing & Feta, stir gently. Serve cool but not cold.

'zit.

Notes: Most pasta doesn't come in 12 oz boxes so either guesstimate that or go for it with an entire 16 ounce box and tweak your additions up. Pick your tri-color pasta of choice: penne, rotini, wheels all work fine. DO NOT overcook as you will doing a lot of additions and mixing. Overcooked pasta will just fall apart from the mixing. Use a bigass spoon and sort of a folding motion to gently bring the salad up from the center of the bowl.

The original recipe calls for dressing this one hour before serving. You can - but this makes a crap ton of pasta salad that will have refrigerated leftovers anyway so I don't see any harm in just dressing it period when you add everything else. A lot of the Italian dressing will get absorbed by the pasta so if you do it sooner you can check after an hour to see if it needs an addition, along with checking overall seasoning. I chill, check & tweak the lemon, oregano & dressing at least twice.

Play with the ingredients proportions as you wish but here's a few observations:

2 tsp. lemon juice is never enough. More like half a lemon minimum.

3/4 can kidney beans? You're kidding. We just use the whole can.

1 tsp. oregano probably won't be enough, depending on your choice of Italian dressing.

I would suggest starting to dress with 3/4 cup Italian dressing, chill, taste, and add more to your liking. You can always add more but you can't take it out. I don't like it sitting in dressing myself.

Only 1/2 cup Feta? You gotta be kidding.

Great to have on hand for snack grazing. It never lasts.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you eliminated fried chicken from most southerners' diets, they'd starve to death. :D

Andria

VU Sponsors