Become a Patron!

Good Eats

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
WTF is wrong with you..bathtubs aren't made for making Kim Chee in for christsakes.....you use them to make wine in.

You did see where I said it was my mother, right? :p She made the best kimchi ever. I have no idea what she did to make it like that other than using the tub. I can't replicate it.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Since mom's dr. are recommending her eat more fermented I am going to bust out a batch but use anchovies instead.
Need to find a Korean grocery and not one geared more Indonesian/Pinoy slant.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since mom's dr. are recommending her eat more fermented I am going to bust out a batch but use anchovies instead.
Need to find a Korean grocery and not one geared more Indonesian/Pinoy slant.
ah man there's a ton of koren groceries where I live.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Was looking today, was out and about and found the one I know about missed finding the mom and pop Korean grocery.
Online is fine and dandy but I like going to those groceries and finding all the cool shit.
Last trip was baby bock choy, pickled ginger, garlic and peppers, better rice noodles and mini eggplants. Oh forgot the killer shrooms.

I need to figure out how to cook the greens I found they look interesting.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
unfortunately the stuff we get here is usually pretty damn bad.and simple..after all they are catering to Americans who in general have little to zero knowledge of Indian cuisine...if a resturaunt caters to other Indians then you get a much higher quality of cooking ...

I'm fortunate - a small Indian takeout place opened in my neighborhood - owned and run by their entire Indian family. Open kitchen - you see what's being cooked right in front of you. The don't "americanize" anything. Best restaurant curries I ever had. Of course, considering the skill set of most non-Indian restaurants have when it comes to producing even a decent curry I guess that might not be saying much.

Whitesoxfan2579

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ate at a new place around here last night called Pizza Ranch. Their pizza was so-so but their chicken was some of the best I've ever eaten.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Got a whole chicken to brine this weekend. Not sure how I'm going to flavor it yet but will brine it and "bake" it in the crockpot.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Got a whole chicken to brine this weekend. Not sure how I'm going to flavor it yet but will brine it and "bake" it in the crockpot.

Never thought of trying that but we do have a crock that can easily fit a whole chicken.

Turkey boob done in a crock pot is great too - unless you are of the "must eat crispy skin" persuasion.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Never thought of trying that but we do have a crock that can easily fit a whole chicken.

Turkey boob done in a crock pot is great too - unless you are of the "must eat crispy skin" persuasion.

Easy fix for that, I do it all the time. Cook it in the crock pot, then right before dinner time, stick under the broiler on a sheet pan for a minute or two. Nice and brown and crispy. Works great for chicken parts, too. I've done whole chickens in the crockpot before and it works quite well.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was looking today, was out and about and found the one I know about missed finding the mom and pop Korean grocery.
Online is fine and dandy but I like going to those groceries and finding all the cool shit.
Last trip was baby bock choy, pickled ginger, garlic and peppers, better rice noodles and mini eggplants. Oh forgot the killer shrooms.

I need to figure out how to cook the greens I found they look interesting.
if it's bok choy ....you can cook it alot of ways...stir fry,steam or put it in a soup. hell that stuff is so easy to grow. I always throw some in the garden,,grows fast too.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Back in the crock pot again: Isn't brining really needless here, considering the crock pot environment? I know the turkey boob comes out silly moist with no brining.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Back in the crock pot again: Isn't brining really needless here, considering the crock pot environment? I know the turkey boob comes out silly moist with no brining.

It's not just about moist, though, it's also about flavor. I don't use a plain brine, I flavor the brine so it gets deep into the tissues and every bite is both moist and tasty. Works much better than injection, imo. Also, if I forget to stick it in the crockpot in time (which has been known to happen), I can still roast it. :)

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This was the one recommended to me
Yummm look like a lot of yummy breads on that site.

The Dementor (mother-in-law) can't stand any sort of heat at all. I have to be very careful using black pepper when I season or she'll bitch about it. Even some ketchups are too hot for her.
I really applaud you for taking care of your mother in law. Many people today wouldn't do it and that's sad. Rick told me about this thread, looks fun.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I really applaud you for taking care of your mother in law. Many people today wouldn't do it and that's sad. Rick told me about this thread, looks fun.

Thanks. Most of the time she's fine but lately, her bouts of paranoia and anger have been coming faster than ever. She's getting to the point where my husband and his sibs are going to have a serious discussion about her near future. Wish I could do more but we're just not equipped or trained to deal with worsening dementia.

Dinner tonight is crockpot beef stew with regular barley (not pearl), carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic and bok choy. Seasonings include tomato sauce, beef broth, tarragon, basil and a packet of onion soup mix. :)

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm cooking sweet n sour chicken tonight, served with brown rice fried with onions. Nom.

Andria

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks. Most of the time she's fine but lately, her bouts of paranoia and anger have been coming faster than ever. She's getting to the point where my husband and his sibs are going to have a serious discussion about her near future. Wish I could do more but we're just not equipped or trained to deal with worsening dementia.

Dinner tonight is crockpot beef stew with regular barley (not pearl), carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic and bok choy. Seasonings include tomato sauce, beef broth, tarragon, basil and a packet of onion soup mix. :)
Most folks aren't equipped to be able to handle that. I hate that she and y'all have to deal with that. It's such a devastating condition for all affected by it.

Yummmm I haven't had beef stew in forever! Sounds so good and I love barley in it!

I made some beef stroganoff (kinda) the other night. No stew meat, so I used hamburger. But still yummy. My favorite way to do it is just no meat. I also used pasta instead of egg noodles. For some reason a lot of times egg noodles have sort of a fishy smell/taste to me. Sometimes they don't. I know it's me, but dunno what causes that. My son found a pasta I hadn't seen before, and it was perfect. Campanelle. Looks a little like tiny lasagna noodles rolled into a cone shape. Since it's just me here right now, I'll be eating on this for awhile.

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone here play nicely with a bread machine?
Newp. Both of mine were used, and that didn't help. They do a decent job of kneading if you don't have a stand mixer with a dough hook, but I just am not that fond of break baked in them. My ex MIL on the other hand made tons of stuff hers, but she would always bake it in the oven.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lat night I had a delicacy I haven't had in years.

A Burger King Chicken sandwich (the fried one).
Onion rings
Sweet 'n' Sour Sauce.

I get the sandwich plain, stack a layer of onion rings on it and pour their Sweet 'n' Sour Sauce over it. Mmmmmm. I can still taste it.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Newp. Both of mine were used, and that didn't help. They do a decent job of kneading if you don't have a stand mixer with a dough hook, but I just am not that fond of break baked in them. My ex MIL on the other hand made tons of stuff hers, but she would always bake it in the oven.

I think there are a lot of unrealistic expectations when people buy bread machines. You can't just dump a bunch of ingredients in there and walk away. (Set it to start in 8 hours? Ha!) I suck at bread so I have found they do a good job turning out something that actually resembles... bread. But flour is a fickle thing so the amount of liquid that might work one day won't be the same amount that the same flour requires the next time you make bread. You have to pay attention in those mixing/kneading cycles and tweak things as necessary. Once I'm satisfied with the dough ball consistency though I do like being able to just walk away and let the machine finish straight through the baking process.

I have also found a lot of crappy bread machine cookbooks out there with weird dry to liquid ingredient proportions which just don't work. Usually leaning toward way too dry.

I bake in mine and it turns out a good bake. That can vary a lot though from one machine to the next. I have an Oster 5838 2 pound machine I got several years ago and it's pretty good for a low price model.

Last edited:

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use my bread machine constantly, it's a lifesaver for me. But I primarily use it for kneading the dough. Once it's done, I take it out and bake it in either a loaf pan, dutch oven or free-standing, depending on the type of bread I've made. I occasionally bake it in the machine and it turns out well. I just don't like the holes in the bottom from the beaters. :)

I absolutely agree that you have to watch it when it first starts mixing to make sure the flour/moisture ratio is correct. I've also found that weighing ingredients rather than scooping them works a whole lot better. Scooping or even fill and swish measurements can vary to a pretty large degree.

One of the best presents I've ever received was an Instant Pot cooker. It does sooo much and it's very easy to use. Pressure cooks, sautes, makes soups, sears, slow cooker, etc., all in one machine. Homemade mac n cheese in 10 minutes? Yes please! Black bean and barley (or brown rice) soup in 35 minutes? Yuppers. It's a wondrous thing especially when I've forgotten to take something out of the freezer for dinner. Which happens a LOT. :D

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I absolutely agree that you have to watch it when it first starts mixing to make sure the flour/moisture ratio is correct. I've also found that weighing ingredients rather than scooping them works a whole lot better. Scooping or even fill and swish measurements can vary to a pretty large degree.

You also need to have accurate measuring utensils. Cheap dollar store measuring cups can be off by as much as 1/4 cup! (Ask me how I know...) If you have a crap one by the time you measure what you think is 4 cups of bread flour it might be nearly 5 cups. Cheap measuring spoons many times are no better. Stick with brand names for this category.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You also need to have accurate measuring utensils. Cheap dollar store measuring cups can be off by as much as 1/4 cup! (Ask me how I know...) If you have a crap one by the time you measure what you think is 4 cups of bread flour it might be nearly 5 cups. Cheap measuring spoons many times are no better. Stick with brand names for this category.

Kitchen scales are pretty dirt cheap these days. Flour itself, also, can vary depending on the brand. So can the amount of salt you need. If you're interested in baking, the King Arthur website is a Godsend. I've baked quite a few of their recipes and have never gone wrong. Most of them have conversions for weight or volume. And their blog helped me a ton.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I wish I was as good at baking as I am at cooking. *sigh* My only real baking successes are: buttermilk cornbread (I learned from my grandfather!), and a really excellent from-scratch apple-walnut-raisin-spice cake that I often give as xmas gifts, they're so yummy and so popular. Other than those, most of my baking experiments were sad failures. :(

Andria

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bake in mine and it turns out a good bake. That can vary a lot though from one machine to the next. I have an Oster 5838 2 pound machine I got several years ago and it's pretty good for a low price model.
good to know. My dil really wants one. She also wants a kitchen aid mixer for her bday, which is something I've always wanted, but I told her that it's got a dough hook already for bread....it's as easy as a bread machine....but she still wants a bread machine. But there's no counter room for a real coffee pot according to her :xD:

One of the best presents I've ever received was an Instant Pot cooker. It does sooo much and it's very easy to use. Pressure cooks, sautes, makes soups, sears, slow cooker, etc., all in one machine. Homemade mac n cheese in 10 minutes? Yes please! Black bean and barley (or brown rice) soup in 35 minutes? Yuppers. It's a wondrous thing especially when I've forgotten to take something out of the freezer for dinner. Which happens a LOT.
I have heard great things about these. Have really wanted one of these, or the elec pressure cooker they advertise on tv. Have heard though that the insta pot is better made

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
good to know. My dil really wants one. She also wants a kitchen aid mixer for her bday, which is something I've always wanted, but I told her that it's got a dough hook already for bread....it's as easy as a bread machine....but she still wants a bread machine. But there's no counter room for a real coffee pot according to her

I hate it when I run out of kitchen. I would kill to have a KitchenAid stand mixer but there's no practical place to put it. :sad: I do have a KitchenAid hand mixer though and the dough hooks to go with. Get a great forearm workout trying to work dough that way. :p

That Oster bread machine was dirt cheap when I got it, being it was already on sale at BB&B and I used one of their coupons on top of that. AIRC with the sale and the coupon it came in at only $30.00. Pretty sure that model has been discontinued so read tons of reviews before she buys anything. Even the inexpensive models with have at least 3 crust color and 3 bread type cycles at ths point.

Also - take many of the one star reviews with a box of salt. Some people manage to break their bread machines the first time they use it. (Some people are just really good at breaking anything.) Then you have the people who baked their first loaf with less than stellar results and then go off and write a "This thing sucks!!!" review.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I have heard great things about these. Have really wanted one of these, or the elec pressure cooker they advertise on tv. Have heard though that the insta pot is better made

DON'T get an electric pressure cooker! Every time Americas Test Kitchen reviews them the electric models are a total fail. In general the electrics don't heat evenly and the timer/heat cycles are poorly done. You pay a lot more for an underperforming appliance compared to a stove top model.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
DON'T get an electric pressure cooker! Every time Americas Test Kitchen reviews them the electric models are a total fail. In general the electrics don't heat evenly and the timer/heat cycles are poorly done. You pay a lot more for an underperforming appliance compared to a stove top model.

The Instant Pot is highly rated. Get an Instant Pot. Definitely worth it.

good to know. My dil really wants one. She also wants a kitchen aid mixer for her bday, which is something I've always wanted, but I told her that it's got a dough hook already for bread....it's as easy as a bread machine....but she still wants a bread machine.

I love my Kitchen Aid mixer (which I got a little over a year ago) but no, it's not as easy as a bread machine. Whenever I've used mine for bread dough, I've had to use all my strength to keep it from jumping around on the counter. It's also harder to determine when the dough is finished kneading. You also can't use bread machines for making cookies and other things. I use mine a LOT but not for bread doughs anymore :p Get her a Kitchen Aid stand mixer if you can.

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pretty sure that model has been discontinued so read tons of reviews before she buys anything. Even the inexpensive models with have at least 3 crust color and 3 bread type cycles at ths point.
Also - take many of the one star reviews with a box of salt. Some people manage to break their bread machines the first time they use it. (Some people are just really good at breaking anything.) Then you have the people who baked their first loaf with less than stellar results and then go off and write a "This thing sucks!!!" review.
Not surprised it's discontinued Jup I read a lot of reviews. She buys on a whim. Which is why we have a Ninja blender that doesn't do a lot of what we want, when for not much more we could have had a much better one. But oh well. Jup in reading a lot of the low reviews, I'm always talkin to em........well don't do that with it ya idjit! lol

Get her a Kitchen Aid stand mixer if you can.
that will be up to my son, but oh my goodness I've wanted one for a very long time. Good to know a bread machine is still a good buy even with a KA mixer.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Breakfast today (as it is on many weekends) was light and airy, very crispy buttermilk Belgian waffles. I have discovered that the key ingredient is cornstarch, believe it or not. It really elevates them to something great. I make a double batch and freeze the extras, so I can just toss one in the toaster oven for my MIL's breakfast during the week.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
We have a very low-key Easter (and Thanksgiving and Christmas). Just heating up a spiral sliced ham with some fresh baked rolls for ham sammiches. :) LOTS of different sliced cheeses.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Buns are done, let the feasting begin!

17880456_1484450914912602_19219994409904374_o.jpg

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Breakfast today (as it is on many weekends) was light and airy, very crispy buttermilk Belgian waffles. I have discovered that the key ingredient is cornstarch, believe it or not. It really elevates them to something great. I make a double batch and freeze the extras, so I can just toss one in the toaster oven for my MIL's breakfast during the week.
yummmmm! These look amazing, and the secret is that sugar stuff. Those buns look wonderful! I'm a sucker for fresh baked bread!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/taste-of-belgium-0235440

For Easter dinner I have just picked some fresh artichokes off my artichoke plants...the first bounty of spring.
kewl!

Saw this recipe Bacon Onion Dip on DDD also..........looks really good , but a lot of effort

Ingredients
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry English mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan
  • 1/3 cup Onion Jam, recipe follows
  • 3 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • Chopped chives, for garnish
  • Serving suggestions: crackers, toasted bread and vegetables
Onion Jam:
  • 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, cayenne, salt and Worcestershire, and continue to beat until smooth, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan and the Onion Jam, and mix on low speed until just combined. At this point, cook immediately or store the dip in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

Scoop the dip into a baking dish and top with the remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan and the crumbled bacon. Bake until the cheese melts and the dip begins to bubble, 8 to 10 minutes. Garnish with chives and serve the dip with crackers, warm bread and vegetables.

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Onion Jam:
In a large frying pan set over medium-low heat, add the oil and then the onions. Add the salt and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the vinegar, sugar and 2 tablespoons water. Continue to cook over low heat, stirring often, until the liquid is absorbed and the onions are rich golden brown, about 20 minutes. Spread the onion jam on a cookie sheet and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate any leftovers.

Cook's Note
The Onion Jam recipe will yield a little more than you need for the Bacon Onion Dip. Heat some of the leftovers in a frying pan and add to a grilled cheese sandwich, top a burger, serve with a grilled steak or toss in with scrambled eggs. You might want to make a double recipe because there are so many ways to use the Onion Jam!

This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional. It has not been tested for home use.

Recipe courtesy of George and the Dragon, Minneapolis, MN

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Onion Jam:
In a large frying pan set over medium-low heat, add the oil and then the onions. Add the salt and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the vinegar, sugar and 2 tablespoons water. Continue to cook over low heat, stirring often, until the liquid is absorbed and the onions are rich golden brown, about 20 minutes. Spread the onion jam on a cookie sheet and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate any leftovers.

Best way to make onion jam is in the crockpot. No standing over it and watching it. I make a much larger batch, though, because my younger son and I use that shit on everything. In grilled cheese sammiches, in omelets, on baked potatoes, etc. It's very versatile. I don't add any water, just chuck several sliced onions into the crockpot with a head of peeled garlic, a splash of balsamic vinegar, a little salt, a little sugar (unless Vidalia onions are used), set it on low and let it go all day or on high for 3-4 hours.

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Best way to make onion jam is in the crockpot. No standing over it and watching it. I make a much larger batch, though, because my younger son and I use that shit on everything. In grilled cheese sammiches, in omelets, on baked potatoes, etc. It's very versatile. I don't add any water, just chuck several sliced onions into the crockpot with a head of peeled garlic, a splash of balsamic vinegar, a little salt, a little sugar (unless Vidalia onions are used), set it on low and let it go all day or on high for 3-4 hours.
kewl. I'd never heard of onion jam, but basically sounds like caramelized onions.

I have a recipe for crock pot bacon jam I wanna try. If it's good, I might use it for some Christmas presents.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
kewl. I'd never heard of onion jam, but basically sounds like caramelized onions.

I have a recipe for crock pot bacon jam I wanna try. If it's good, I might use it for some Christmas presents.

Yup, that's what it is. Bacon jam works well in the crockpot, too.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thank God for my crockpot, because I really am physically not up to cooking much today. Dinner is chicken and dumplings and it turned out great.

1 package of chicken thighs
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can evaporated milk
1 envelope onion soup mix
1/2 bag frozen mixed veggies from Schwans
1 bag frozen cheese & herb biscuits from Schwans

Put the chicken, cream soup, evaporated milk and onion soup mix in the crockpot. Cook on low for 4 hours. Remove chicken, take meat off the bones, shred the meat and return it to the crockpot. Add the veggies and stir well. Cut biscuits into quarters, add to the top of everything else. Cook another 2 hours on low or 1 hour on high.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
8 works. But thanks for looking it up.

I think I want to try this with cream of mushroom instead.

Would probably be a good substitution. Most recipes I've seen call for cream of mushroom but I hate mushrooms, so I either go with chicken or celery. :)

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Would probably be a good substitution. Most recipes I've seen call for cream of mushroom but I hate mushrooms, so I either go with chicken or celery. :)

I don't get the mushroom thing. I have someone here who doesn't like them either, but she will eat them when I use them. I really like mushrooms myself.

How does the celery work for this one, especially with flavor concentration in a crock pot? I haven't used that one in ages but I seem to recall that the celery flavor stands out. In other words, it has to be a feature - you can't "cook around" the celery flavor.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't get the mushroom thing. I have someone here who doesn't like them either, but she will eat them when I use them. I really like mushrooms myself.

How does the celery work for this one, especially with flavor concentration in a crock pot? I haven't used that one in ages but I seem to recall that the celery flavor stands out. In other words, it has to be a feature - you can't "cook around" the celery flavor.

It works well as long as you only use 1 can of it. The other flavors balance it out. As far as mushrooms, it's less about the flavor and more about the feel of them in my mouth. I just can't deal with them, even in tiny pieces like in the cream of mushroom soup. Blech. My husband loves mushrooms but doesn't eat them often since I don't like them. He'll splurge on the rare occasions we go out for steak and get them on top. :D

VU Sponsors