Become a Patron!

Glass cracking

NoFog

Member For 4 Years
Is there any way to preventívne breaking the glass on your tank? Ive had this issue very frequently silicone rings dont seem to help :(

Attachments

• 20171013_065401.jpg
    20171013_065401.jpg
    586.5 KB · Views: 34

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The only ABSOLUTE way... is to not use a glass tank. This is just one reason I prefer RDAs; metal is hard to break.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

He did say that the bands don't seem to help. Maybe if you completely covered the entire tank with vape bands? Which removes being able to see your juice level... so you might as well just use metal. :giggle:

Seriously though... some of us are just too clumsy for glass in our vapes (I'm definitely one!). You have to figure out if you're one of us, or if you can learn to be more careful with it. Because glass breaks.

Andria

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Over-tightening? I use vape bands on my tanks, I'm clumsy. I've dropped my main one MANY times, at work, at home, outside, and haven't had a crack or break yet on it. Mod looks beat up, though, LOL.

Some glass is thicker than others, too.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
RDA all the way lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Never had a glass tank break yet...... it the plastic ones that seem to fail for me....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is there any way to preventívne breaking the glass on your tank? Ive had this issue very frequently silicone rings dont seem to help :(

Yikes! Are you sure your glass isn't defective and you're not dropping your box? My mom uses glass atties all the time, and they never crack like that unless she drops her box.

If you're not dropping your box, I'd stop shopping at whatever vape shop you're getting these from. Obviously, they should not be cracking like that, especially not out of the blue.

Last edited:

Marc411

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Lube the o-rings with your liquid of choice, PG or VG and than install the glass. No lube can create friction and personally I hate when that happens.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had 2 thick of those always on and it still cracks :D

Where exactly did you locate the vape bands? If you put them on the glass part of the tank, and then it falls over sideways on the table, it creates a pressure (impact) spot where the vape band is. If it's on glass, it will break. If you put the vape band (or bands) on the metal part of your tank, preferably the bottom if it doesn't interfere with your airflow, it will prevent the glass from hitting the table (or whatever) if it tips over. If it falls from a height, a vape band won't do much good, but it will protect it from just being knocked over sideways.

I'm guessing you have very thin glass, OR you drop your mod a lot.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He did say that the bands don't seem to help. Maybe if you completely covered the entire tank with vape bands? Which removes being able to see your juice level... so you might as well just use metal. :giggle:

Seriously though... some of us are just too clumsy for glass in our vapes (I'm definitely one!). You have to figure out if you're one of us, or if you can learn to be more careful with it. Because glass breaks.

Andria
Never liked Vape Bands, I've always thought they look tacky.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Even metal covered glass will break if you hit it just right like the Spire Mesh tank.

NoFog

Member For 4 Years

Where exactly did you locate the vape bands? If you put them on the glass part of the tank, and then it falls over sideways on the table, it creates a pressure (impact) spot where the vape band is. If it's on glass, it will break. If you put the vape band (or bands) on the metal part of your tank, preferably the bottom if it doesn't interfere with your airflow, it will prevent the glass from hitting the table (or whatever) if it tips over. If it falls from a height, a vape band won't do much good, but it will protect it from just being knocked over sideways.

I carry it in my bag...thats when it usualy pops

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
From the pic, it kind of looks like it is an over tightening problem Perhaps the tank was not aligned correctly when reassembled. But my guess is over tightening the threads. Replace the O rings and tighten to finger pressure tightness. Remember... O rings work better if they are not crushed.
I drop my mod all the time but never cracked the tank. Although, sometimes a random bad angle hit might do it, but lucky so far.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I can't say as I really have an opinion pro or con on their appearance -- but I do insist on a *color* matchy-matchy thing; if I was gonna use a glass tank, I'd definitely use at least 1 vape band, maybe 2, but they'd be color coordinated to look good with the mod-tank-driptip combo. But I just don't really like glass attys, and their fragility is just one reason why -- they're also heavy as shit, making the mod top-heavy, which leads to a lot of falling over, which leads to more breakage.

When I first started using the Achilles, I was all "oh woe, how will I know when it's time to refill?" Well... you LEARN -- how it tastes when it's reaching the end of its 2.5ml and the long wicks aren't as saturated (slightly different), and how it tastes when the botton is dry (metallic as hell!), so that you don't need to experience the dreaded taste of burnt cotton.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

HI Lannie!
How ya doin?

VU Sponsors