Become a Patron!

Getting back on the durries if i cant get this right :(

Hi all.

First off im really really sorry to be a complete noob! I have researched google a million times and just cant get to the bottom of my problem for now nearly 3 weeks and am now back on the cancer sticks so please help!

I own a Voopoo Drag with a Cloud beast tank. I use Smok Pince Q4 coils rated 0.4ohms 40-100watt

I have changed a bloody setting somewhere on the Drag and cant get it to vape correctly - the more i play with it the worse it seems to get.

I only use WATTs mode as Im a beginner and dont want to get too involved in temp controls etc etc but this is now killing me.

Problem? - Horrible titanium taste that makes me cough which eventually burns my coils out.

I have tried cleaning the tank and using new coils and even a different tank i have but still the same issue which tells me it is a mod setting - after watching a video on youtube ive noticed his display (same tank) shows 0.15ohms - mine shows 0.40ohms. I managed to manually change the ohms but the minimum it will go down to is 0.32 and it smokes alot better but feel warm in the mouth and still not much flavour (and yes ive changed flavours)

Anyone have any ideas? Sorry again for the noob question! My name is Rickie and i am/was smoking for 5 years.

Thanks!

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
The prince Q4 should be at 0.4ohms so mod is reading it correctly which is good

Take it you have read the maunual in terms of navigation?
http://en.voopootech.com/download-support

What can you see on the front screen?
Also what wattage do you vape at?

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Yes I’ve got the manual so I’ve been attempting to navigate through the settings.

Front screen reads -

80watts (what it is set to)
0.4ohms
0volts

It obviously all changes when the fire button is pressed and held n

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
You were priming the coils right? If not, put a drop or two of juice on each of the side holes and top of the coil, fill your tank, and let it sit awhile usually 5-30 minutes, depending on thickness of juice. You need to break your coil in a little before going full throttle, start at ~25 watts or so and work up every four or five puffs at an increment of 5 watts, if the vapor is too hot, go back down in 1 watt at a time till you hit the sweet spot. Try to give a little time between puffs to let the coil resoak, like 5-10 seconds is usually enough, and don't let your tank drop below half if you can help it.

EDIT: Also be mindful of your nic intake, you don't want nic sickness. Happy vaping and welcome to VU :D

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Just wondering if 80W is too much for the prince Q4 coils ...Smok tend to wildly overrate thier wattage range to the point you’ll be using it around halfway between max and min

I don’t have the prince tank though to comment on these coils but seeing as you have the manual and are in wattage mod I’d start looking at the tank next

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I don't know if Drag has for boost/wattage curve settings but you could make sure none of that is on. Maybe reset the mod back to factory if you don't know. And I agree with @Hillbilly Pig on breaking in a new coil. Don't use the watts the coil says on it. Start low and move it up till you like it.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU and please do not go back to the stinkies.

You can try reflashing the firmware and defaulting the mod to clear any settings that may be wonky. This is assuming you have no concerns with the procedure.

http://en.voopootech.com/download-support

They have a video you can follow.

Once back at factory defaults, try working the wattage up until it makes you smile.

Hi everyone and thanks for the help so far. Unfortunately even after a full default reset through voopoo im still having the same issue.

Ive tried cleaning the tank out again since the update and changed the coil (again)

Filled with juice and let sit OVERNIGHT to soak - start at 40watts and straight away taste like crap

Filled juice into my old SMOK mod and tank and works perfect so defiantly something wrong with either the tank or the mod.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You don't have very many setting in wattage mode. In memory mode is when you get the power curve. Try using another atomizer on the Drag.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hi everyone and thanks for the help so far. Unfortunately even after a full default reset through voopoo im still having the same issue.

Ive tried cleaning the tank out again since the update and changed the coil (again)

Filled with juice and let sit OVERNIGHT to soak - start at 40watts and straight away taste like crap

Filled juice into my old SMOK mod and tank and works perfect so defiantly something wrong with either the tank or the mod.

Id go tank

Are the coils you bought Authentic? ....

Are wires poking out at the bottom of the coil?

If it tastes like metal it suggests theres a short in the coil somewhere to me ...ive had that on a smok coil before its rank ...it happened because one of the wires pushed out from the rubber bung (which is acting as a seal and positive/negative insulator)....in truth i helped it along when i was sorting the seal out before installing ...i had pushed one of the wires back to far

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Yes, @KingPin! is correct because there are clone coils all over the place.

In some cases the box looks the same and everything.

Clone coils are almost always total junk and a huge waste of time and money.

Also I agree that there could be a wire (leg) that may be arching against the device or 510's positive terminal.

Kingyd

Member For 1 Year

Have you tried the old needle trick I have to do that to every smok coil poking a few holes in the side of the coils where the slits are or they just dont wick properly

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have to go with Counterfeit Coils on this one also since after a reset it is the same shit. Good Luck @a10bvb hope you get it sorted out and stay away from the killer sticks.

Last edited:

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Just wondering if 80W is too much for the prince Q4 coils ...Smok tend to wildly overrate thier wattage range to the point you’ll be using it around halfway between max and min

I don’t have the prince tank though to comment on these coils but seeing as you have the manual and are in wattage mod I’d start looking at the tank next

Absolutely right. 80W is way to high for that coil. @a10bvb if you are using the Q4 best not to push them higher than 40-45W. Get yourself some T10 coils. They seem to be a lot more reliable than the Q4's or X6's

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Smok tend to wildly overrate thier wattage range to the point you’ll be using it around halfway between max and min

The only think i can think of to suggest is maybe try 40-55ish watts..Even tho the coils rated to 80 it's clearly not holding up.

Don't use the watts the coil says on it. Start low and move it up till you like it.

Clone coils are almost always total junk and a huge waste of time and money.
Also I agree that there could be a wire (leg) that may be arching against the device or 510's positive terminal.

Absolutely right. 80W is way to high for that coil.

Not exactly piling on to pile on. I have to agree though it is likely a coil issue, further likely 80 watts is way too high. Sorry if it does read I'm piling on. Sometimes many of us having similar experiences come to realize some of the same issues, things. This is kind of the fault of the Internet/Web. We can now come together as a common mind and see our way clear as individuals and solve problems. This isn't exactly group thinking in a bad sense either. We just follow the prescribe course of doing whatever and all find the same threads.

Welcome to Velvet Underground and also welcome to a bit of the hive mind. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. :) And yes, I know I swapped Velvet for Vaping. It's one of my slightly odd quirks, most everyone gets my meaning.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Pretty much what others have said.. but to get better flavor you want thicker vaper. To do this, close your airflow to about have, reduce the power to minimium and slowly raise your power level until it starts to feel warm, then you can open your airflow a bit to cool the vapor or drop the power back to where you like it. Lower airflow = thicker vapor, Higher airflow/power = larger clouds. So all you need to do is find the spot with the flavor you like and the cloud you like. You do have to sacrifice one for the other a bit though. kind of like Flavor<------------------------sweetspot---------------------> Clouds.

VU Sponsors