Become a Patron!

General Temp Control Building Guidelines?

IAmRob

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Does anyone have any guidelines for building coils for temp control mods, for me specifically with ni-80? It seems as though I've heard from some that the coils must be spaced, others state that contact coils work just fine. I personally will be using a sigelei 150 watt tc model and either a subtank rta coil or my mutation 4, so if anyone could confer some advice for this I would appreciate it.

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well first thing the nickel wire is Ni200.. as for coils I have also heard both ways, I however do spaced coils. I do them using nylon machine screws, this gives me the same even spacing every time.. I use 4-40 (about 2mm ID) and 2-56 (about 1.5mm ID) and in some cases 6-32 (about 2.5mm ID) screws
coils.jpg

little side note, if you go this route once you have the coils secured a drop of e-liquid on the screw will help prevent sticking when backing them out.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nichrome 60 or 80 are Nickel alloy and not suitable for TC. You need to use Ni200 (pure Nickel) or Ti01 for TC.

Last edited:

IAmRob

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So then what use can I get out of ni-80? Did I waste my money? I was almost tempted to start building with it, what could have happened?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First off I've never used Nichrome 60 or 80 (I've only used Ni200 for TC and Kanthal A1 for non TC) but my understanding is it's a resistance wire like Kanthal (but lower resistance per foot). I believe it can be used in place of Kanthal A1 for non TC coils. I believe it's also used by people making Clapton coils. You should be able to find more info in the coils section of VU. Here's a thread talking about Ni 60/80.
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/is-nichrome-ok-to-use-in-place-of-kanthal.126609/

Cheers,
Steve

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So then what use can I get out of ni-80? Did I waste my money? I was almost tempted to start building with it, what could have happened?
8bb07f7ca3c58f94a5b76577efd77fad.jpg

This is a dual 24g Nichrome 80 build in my Dark Horse RDA... at .22 ohms/75w
it blows nice thick clouds with good flavor..
It has a lower resistance than Kanthel and I can get a couple of extra wraps (cover more cotton) and stay within my targeted resistance..it's good stuff..lest it is for me,

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

IAmRob

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmmmmm, I think I might have to build myself a nice little dual coil set up. The only issue is that i bought 20 g ni-80, meaning that I need about 12 wraps around a 3.5 mm bit to stay in the safe zone in terms of resistance. This will bring me all the way down to .2, and as much as I wanna rip some nice clouds out of my new manhattan clone, I think I'd rather error on the safe side, as I'm still not fully versed in exactly how far batteries can safely go.

VU Sponsors