Become a Patron!

Geekvape Zeus Dual Rta wicking, need help.

Intrepidtortoise

Member For 1 Year
I just got a Zeus Dual Rta in the mail today and I've been trying to wick it correctly. I've watched numerous videos on YouTube and still can't get it right. It was getting burnt hits or it would just get spit back. When there was no spit back there was still barely any flavor.

I'm using two 24g kanthal coils at 5 wraps spaced at .225 ohms. I went from using a decent amount of cotton to a lot less. Can someone please help me out with this.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is it possible you can post a photo of a present build that is not working right?

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
What power settings are you vaping at?

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Remove some of the spacing between the wraps. It looks like in the second pic the cotton is burning up in the bottom middle. Are you dry burning and working out the hot spots?

Intrepidtortoise

Member For 1 Year
I changed the cotton. I was using organic Walgreens cotton balls. I took out the cotton and heated up the coils and one of them was glowing red faster than the other. After preheating it enough times both of them glowed at the same time. I put in Japanese organic cotton this time and it's good right now. I'll see how it holds up.

This is the cotton I used

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079QH8TLJ/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I like that the packaging says "13 Feets"

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Lol like the spelling on smoks website and other vape sites.

You would think with all the technology they steal, one of them might have thought to get a spell checker

Intrepidtortoise

Member For 1 Year
Does anyone know a good cheap set of premade coils that have aliens and other ones. Maybe some that come in the plastic wheel containers

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
New coils, 6 wrap 26g. .363 ohms
@jwill mentioned the excessive spacing between the wraps of the coils. Try pinching the wraps back together more after you space them. You could use that same build and probably have it be a coupla three mm narrower so you could pull them a bit closer, but not TOO close to the airflow without shorting against that fin that the AF is coming through.

I'm not saying that's the answer, because I don't have that RTA, but it's something I would try if I did.

Last edited:

Intrepidtortoise

Member For 1 Year
I made a new 7 wrap 24g spaced coil with less space in between wraps. Put in new cotton. No burnt hits, but there is barely any flavor

Attachments

• IMG_20181222_140834.jpg
    IMG_20181222_140834.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20181222_140923.jpg
    IMG_20181222_140923.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20181222_140958.jpg
    IMG_20181222_140958.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 9

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I made a new 7 wrap 24g spaced coil with less space in between wraps. Put in new cotton. No burnt hits, but there is barely any flavor
Those are actually 6 wraps. The ends are a half wrap each. My calculation (well, an app :) ) assuming 5mm legs and a 3mm ID is around .28 ohms for the resistance for the pair. What wattage are you using?

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have the Zeus Dual. If you don't wick just right it will throw you fits. You just need enough cotton on this atty to work. The cotton should drop down on the deck but need not be too long, just touching the bottom. I built up dual SSFC's on mine from premade wire (spooled) I found online. Flavor is still muted on a 0.30 build. I had been on a single at a 0.50 ohm. Neither build had a good flavor. I'm still trying and may go to another wire, even K1 at this point. I did have a leak on mine, you've been warned. Had to find another o-ring to help out the base. That finally worked as of this week. I have been trying to find a decent flavor since October on this atty and it's just not there, unfortunately for myself.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
If you at all have access to a drill (or a vice, pliers and way too much time) you could give specialty wire a go. Twisted wire is baby-easy to make and has fairly decent flavor over standard round-wire builds, though the real performers are claptons, staples, fused claptons and etc. You could also buy premade coils like this or premade specialty wire.

I recommend you ditch the spaced coils entirely, especially in tanks with condensed build decks like the Zeus. If you're able to not have issues with burning with closer spacing but lack flavor, switching to a specialty wire but keeping your coil wraps tightly spaced or not spaced at all should solve issues on both the burning and the flavor front.

Spaced wire builds are really only something I'd (personally) put in an RDA. But that's me.

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you at all have access to a drill (or a vice, pliers and way too much time) you could give specialty wire a go. Twisted wire is baby-easy to make and has fairly decent flavor over standard round-wire builds, though the real performers are claptons, staples, fused claptons and etc. You could also buy premade coils like this or premade specialty wire.

I recommend you ditch the spaced coils entirely, especially in tanks with condensed build decks like the Zeus. If you're able to not have issues with burning with closer spacing but lack flavor, switching to a specialty wire but keeping your coil wraps tightly spaced or not spaced at all should solve issues on both the burning and the flavor front.

Spaced wire builds are really only something I'd (personally) put in an RDA. But that's me.

If you read my reply, I'm using this said specialty wire. In my arsenal I have, SSFC, track, twisted, round, clapton, hive, mixed twist, alien spooled. This is just an atty that is rather dull on the full flavor side to me. The OP needed wicking help.
I still believe that flavor is very subjective on each wire. I have SSFC on mine at this time and will try another type, to include basic round. I have to compare this atty to my personal attys in my arsenal on the flavor output.
The wicking issue at hand, it's fairly easy on this one but can get finiky if too much cotton is used and not combed after clipping. :)

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
If you read my reply, I'm using this said specialty wire. In my arsenal I have, SSFC, track, twisted, round, clapton, hive, mixed twist, alien spooled. This is just an atty that is rather dull on the full flavor side to me. The OP needed wicking help.
I still believe that flavor is very subjective on each wire. I have SSFC on mine at this time and will try another type, to include basic round. I have to compare this atty to my personal attys in my arsenal on the flavor output.
The wicking issue at hand, it's fairly easy on this one but can get finiky if too much cotton is used and not combed after clipping. :)

I was aiming that at the OP, less you. Though I do know some atomizers and tanks are just, bastards to get going. In my experience spaced coils leads to cotton darkening around the center REALLY fast compared to tight builds, which by extension kills the wicks faster and you'll be changing them every other day.

Call me spoiled, but I've been vaping on the same build for over two years (transferred it from my V1 Voltrove 41mm to my V2 41mm LE Voltrove) and my wicks are over a month old. Anything less kills me personally.

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Mikhail Naumov I can agree with you on that. I have one new atty that seems to have issues on a wick now. I'm sure it's the juice but could easily be the build in itself, although not spaced. The Zeus is rather picky on flavor and wicking. I've seen a few people anger on the wicking. :)

VU Sponsors