Become a Patron!

Geekvape SS316L Fused Clapton wire spool

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
20170422_102132.jpg

So guys, I picked up a spool of this Geekvape SS316L Fused Clapton wire 2x24/32, 10 ft. For $7.99. I popped a 6 wrap around a 3mm ID, ohmed out at 0.17 for a single coil in my Avocado 24 bottom airflow .

Now, I have never tried TC before, so I was a tad excited when I put this build on. I tried various settings for a TC vape and settled on 60W, 470° F with no preheat. And wow, I was pleasantly surprised ! It is a GREAT vape! I also tried it in wattage mode, between 60 and 80 watts, and surprisingly TC mode had much better flavor....however while in TC , the vape is not as warm as I usually vape, so I might boost the temp up a bit over 500°.

Are there any vapers out there who use ss316L ? More specificly, does anyone use this Geekvape wire? I usually vape fused Claptons made from Ni80 or kanthal A1. I'm not quite sure yet which has better flavor , but I do like how low the resistance is on SS316L for sure ! That's just really nice.

Thoughts guys?

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't tried that specific wire, I tried some half staggered fused clapton from mkws (bought from fasttech). With a 5 or 6 wrap of it in my avocado 24 bottom airflow it came out to similar resistance, it struggled. Maybe it's crap wire, maybe it's the avocado being a clone, not sure. At one point I tried dual coils and it came out around .14 or something and the avocado got wicked hot, my alien 220w heated up and threw up abuse errors. Took it apart for fear of running the setup too low.

Tried a single coil in my ammit and power mode worked ok, tc not so much. It was a bit sporadic. For coils I make myself, generally simple twisted with 26g or 28g I use ss316L (ud/youde brand). I've never used anything else but ss, just seems to be a nice clean taste and a perk being able to switch in and out of tc/vw mode on the fly without worrying about the coil.

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't tried that specific wire, I tried some half staggered fused clapton from mkws (bought from fasttech). With a 5 or 6 wrap of it in my avocado 24 bottom airflow it came out to similar resistance, it struggled. Maybe it's crap wire, maybe it's the avocado being a clone, not sure. At one point I tried dual coils and it came out around .14 or something and the avocado got wicked hot, my alien 220w heated up and threw up abuse errors. Took it apart for fear of running the setup too low.

Tried a single coil in my ammit and power mode worked ok, tc not so much. It was a bit sporadic. For coils I make myself, generally simple twisted with 26g or 28g I use ss316L (ud/youde brand). I've never used anything else but ss, just seems to be a nice clean taste and a perk being able to switch in and out of tc/vw mode on the fly without worrying about the coil.
After vaping more and more on this SS316L, in both TC and Wattage modes, I have found that TC is just not for me. I don't get that nice warm, hot, dense vape. The vape seems to be a bit more "wispy", and is definitely not as warm as I like it. The best vape I was able to get while in TC was 50W, 500 deg. F, which finally gave me some more warmth, and density, but no where NEAR what I can get out of the same exact coil at 70W in wattage mode, which I prefer.

As far as your Avocado issues, I am sorry to hear about them! I have a feeling that your issue is the atomizer being a clone. Some clones are great, and of great quality, almost a 1:1 with the authentic version. However, many, if not most clones, are much cheaper quality, and have some sort of major issue or drawback associated with them. Avocados are cheap to being with....not sure why anyone would want or need to get a clone in the first place. I have every model of Avocado ever made, and I have a love affair with each of them. I like every one of them for different reasons....the 22's super thick barrel and top cap help boost the flavor and intensity of the vape, however no fill port is kind of annoying, but not an issue for me since I solely run it in single coil mode, which allows me to simply remove the ceramic plug and fill through the empty wick holes with my unicorn, glass dripper, chubby, or any type of bottle really. Then I have the 24, which added the much needed fill port to the deck. This guy I run in either single coil or dual coil mode because of this. However, I almost always, maybe 90% of the time, prefer a single coil to a dual coil in most any atomizer, conserving both juice and battery life, while maintaining quality flavor, density, and overall performance. Next we move on to my 24mm Bottom Airflow. This freaking guy....has some of the most intense flavor I have gotten out of ANY atomizer (tanks, drippers, rdtas, ANYTHING). I always run him in single coil mode, using the silicone and ceramic bung, just as I do on the original 22. I have heard people complain about this one, claiming they experienced massive leaking problems. However, I found that when wicked properly, I can turn the guy upside down, rest it on its side on my belly, keep it in my pocket, and I never have leaking issues with it. This version requires MUCH more wick than the other 2, due to the massive, kidney shaped wick channels it uses. The previous 2 versions both had much smaller, circular wick holes, which both require the wicks to be thinned out and trimmed considerably...so I assume the people who had leaking issues tried to wick the bottom airflow version just like they did the other versions, and the thin wicks didn't fully block the kidney shaped wicking channels, hence the leaking issues....EVERY rebuildable device has a delicate, and more importantly, DIFFERENT, wicking technique that is required to be perfected in order to get optimal performance out of the atomizer. Lastly, the newest, colored version of the 22, the "Special Edition". This guy performs well, like each of the other avocados, but it does not give me the same flavor intensity of it's predecessor's. I think this is because it has a thinner metal barrel/AFC ring, similar to that of the bottom airflow version, but it retains the side airflow of the original 22, which stunts the flavor a bit in my opinion. The bottom airflow version can get away with a thinner metal barrel because the massive flavor boost you get from utilizing bottom instead of side airflow, more than make up for the metal thickness. This minor drawback aside, I still enjoy using the special edition 22, however It is my least favorite of the 4 in the Avocado line. The 22mm is my favorite of the bunch. Filling issues aside (Which aren't ever even an issue or a con for me, as I strictly run the bugger in single coil mode), it has the best flavor of the lot, and I enjoy the 22mm size, low profile, and prefer the 510 adapter style it uses compared to its bigger brothers. The 24 bottom airflow comes in 2nd for me, with the 24 coming in 3rd, and the special edition, like I said, being my least favorite of the lot.

SO, AVOCADOS FOR LIFE?!? Most likely. Only time will tell. The NaRDA comes in a CLOSE 2nd place as my all time favorite atty. It is still a fairly new addition to my collection though, so I haven't 100% explored EVERY possibility with it yet. I do see it being possible for it to someday surpass the Avocado, but not as of right now. Ok welp, that about sums it up for me on the Avocados. They truly are amazing atomizers, and to this day remain my favorite of all time. I use at least 1, if not 2, of them on a DAILY basis, usually as my all day banger. I hope you all who are reading this have found SOMETHING I wrote useful, informative, and/or helpful in some way! As always....Keep Cool and Vape on! CHEERS!

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
After vaping more and more on this SS316L, in both TC and Wattage modes, I have found that TC is just not for me. I don't get that nice warm, hot, dense vape. The vape seems to be a bit more "wispy", and is definitely not as warm as I like it. The best vape I was able to get while in TC was 50W, 500 deg. F, which finally gave me some more warmth, and density, but no where NEAR what I can get out of the same exact coil at 70W in wattage mode, which I prefer.

As far as your Avocado issues, I am sorry to hear about them! I have a feeling that your issue is the atomizer being a clone. Some clones are great, and of great quality, almost a 1:1 with the authentic version. However, many, if not most clones, are much cheaper quality, and have some sort of major issue or drawback associated with them. Avocados are cheap to being with....not sure why anyone would want or need to get a clone in the first place. I have every model of Avocado ever made, and I have a love affair with each of them. I like every one of them for different reasons....the 22's super thick barrel and top cap help boost the flavor and intensity of the vape, however no fill port is kind of annoying, but not an issue for me since I solely run it in single coil mode, which allows me to simply remove the ceramic plug and fill through the empty wick holes with my unicorn, glass dripper, chubby, or any type of bottle really. Then I have the 24, which added the much needed fill port to the deck. This guy I run in either single coil or dual coil mode because of this. However, I almost always, maybe 90% of the time, prefer a single coil to a dual coil in most any atomizer, conserving both juice and battery life, while maintaining quality flavor, density, and overall performance. Next we move on to my 24mm Bottom Airflow. This freaking guy....has some of the most intense flavor I have gotten out of ANY atomizer (tanks, drippers, rdtas, ANYTHING). I always run him in single coil mode, using the silicone and ceramic bung, just as I do on the original 22. I have heard people complain about this one, claiming they experienced massive leaking problems. However, I found that when wicked properly, I can turn the guy upside down, rest it on its side on my belly, keep it in my pocket, and I never have leaking issues with it. This version requires MUCH more wick than the other 2, due to the massive, kidney shaped wick channels it uses. The previous 2 versions both had much smaller, circular wick holes, which both require the wicks to be thinned out and trimmed considerably...so I assume the people who had leaking issues tried to wick the bottom airflow version just like they did the other versions, and the thin wicks didn't fully block the kidney shaped wicking channels, hence the leaking issues....EVERY rebuildable device has a delicate, and more importantly, DIFFERENT, wicking technique that is required to be perfected in order to get optimal performance out of the atomizer. Lastly, the newest, colored version of the 22, the "Special Edition". This guy performs well, like each of the other avocados, but it does not give me the same flavor intensity of it's predecessor's. I think this is because it has a thinner metal barrel/AFC ring, similar to that of the bottom airflow version, but it retains the side airflow of the original 22, which stunts the flavor a bit in my opinion. The bottom airflow version can get away with a thinner metal barrel because the massive flavor boost you get from utilizing bottom instead of side airflow, more than make up for the metal thickness. This minor drawback aside, I still enjoy using the special edition 22, however It is my least favorite of the 4 in the Avocado line. The 22mm is my favorite of the bunch. Filling issues aside (Which aren't ever even an issue or a con for me, as I strictly run the bugger in single coil mode), it has the best flavor of the lot, and I enjoy the 22mm size, low profile, and prefer the 510 adapter style it uses compared to its bigger brothers. The 24 bottom airflow comes in 2nd for me, with the 24 coming in 3rd, and the special edition, like I said, being my least favorite of the lot.

SO, AVOCADOS FOR LIFE?!? Most likely. Only time will tell. The NaRDA comes in a CLOSE 2nd place as my all time favorite atty. It is still a fairly new addition to my collection though, so I haven't 100% explored EVERY possibility with it yet. I do see it being possible for it to someday surpass the Avocado, but not as of right now. Ok welp, that about sums it up for me on the Avocados. They truly are amazing atomizers, and to this day remain my favorite of all time. I use at least 1, if not 2, of them on a DAILY basis, usually as my all day banger. I hope you all who are reading this have found SOMETHING I wrote useful, informative, and/or helpful in some way! As always....Keep Cool and Vape on! CHEERS!
what device are you using for temp control? most of the time it's the device doing it poorly when people don't like it.

as far as wire goes i have a few spools of the geekvape stuff in SS316l it's pretty good. i prefer the wire from advancedvapesupply personally.

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
what device are you using for temp control? most of the time it's the device doing it poorly when people don't like it.

as far as wire goes i have a few spools of the geekvape stuff in SS316l it's pretty good. i prefer the wire from advancedvapesupply personally.
It is not the device. I am using a Releaux RX 2/3 with Arctic Fox custom Firmware. I used an extremely accurate TCR, specifically for SS316L, received from DJLSB Vapes. I have also tried the same coil in TC on my friend's DNA 167 Therion, and experienced the EXACT same vape, and same gripes.
I have never heard of advancedvaporsupply...I will have to check it out and give some of their wire a try! I recognize your avatar, which reminded me of multiple posts you made in the past, in other threads, where I recall 100% agreeing with your thoughts. So, I believe we enjoy similar things and have a similar vaping style, which leads me to believe I will like your recommendations! SO...THanks a lot mate! Cheers!

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
It is not the device. I am using a Releaux RX 2/3 with Arctic Fox custom Firmware. I used an extremely accurate TCR, specifically for SS316L, received from DJLSB Vapes. I have also tried the same coil in TC on my friend's DNA 167 Therion, and experienced the EXACT same vape, and same gripes.
I have never heard of advancedvaporsupply...I will have to check it out and give some of their wire a try! I recognize your avatar, which reminded me of multiple posts you made in the past, in other threads, where I recall 100% agreeing with your thoughts. So, I believe we enjoy similar things and have a similar vaping style, which leads me to believe I will like your recommendations! SO...THanks a lot mate! Cheers!
It's the device. the poor 510 connections on them make them very incosistent in TC. even with AF. If a DNA isn't vaping right in temp control it's either defective or it isn't being set up properly.

and thanks for the kind words. I don't think a majority of people vape like me but there are sure a good amount who like to chase flavor and vape around 70-150 watts :) i'd love for you to try some really good temp control, I think it will change your thoughts on it for sure though

Scy123

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I had a beefy staggered fused ss316L coil on my avocado 24 bottom airflow. Came out to .12 in single coil mode. I run it at 140w and chain vape it without problems. Like I said in another thread, I would not hold the tank after a session, but it did not overheat or heat up my mod enough for me to worry about.

VU Sponsors