Become a Patron!

Geekvape Aegis X 200W TC Kit with Cerberus Tank

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, in this review i take a look at the Aegis X 200W TC Kit with Cerberus Tank from Geekvape. The Aegis X 200W TC Kit with Cerberus Tank was supplied for the purpose of this review by Clay from Geekvape.

https://www.geekvape.com/project/aegis-x/

Introduction

When the original Aegis was released their was a bit of a buzz about it, almost indestructible, firing time to rival the Drag and battery options that included a 26650. Then more recently we had the Legend a dual battery version followed by the Mini and Solo giving smaller options with either an inbuilt battery or single 18650.
The Aegis range of devices just keep coming with 2 more released simultaneously, the Aegis Squonk adding a squonking option to the Aegis family and This the Aegis X which is a dual 18650 200W TC device with full face colour screen and a brand new menu system, Is the Aegis X the ultimate Aegis? I give my opinion!

In The Box

Contents:

5.5ml Standard Edition

1 x Geekvape Aegis X MOD
1 x Cerberus Sub-ohm Tank 5.5ml(Pre-installed: Super Mesh X1 Coil 0.2ohm, bubble glass 5.5ml)
1 x Extra Super Mesh X1 Coil 0.2ohm
1 x Spare Regular Glass Tube 4ml
1 x USB Cable
1 x Spare Parts Pack
1 x User Manual

2ml TPD Edition

1 x Geekvape Aegis X MOD
1 x Cerberus Sub-ohm Tank 2ml(Pre-installed: Super Mesh X1 Coil 0.2ohm, straight glass 2ml)
1 x Extra Super Mesh X1 Coil 0.2ohm
1 x Spare Regular Glass Tube 4ml
1 x USB Cable
1 x Spare Parts Pack
1 x User Manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Aegis X Kit came in cardboard box with sleeve packaging and once opened i was met by the familiar Aegis Look apart from one side which has a full face colour screen. Like the other Aegis devices the X's aesthetics are very busy due to the use of many different durable materials making the device look as solid as it is in practice. The materials used include, LSR Silicone, Die-Cast Aluminium, Die-Cast Zinc Alloy, Leather and Stainless Steel.
I received the Rainbow & Black version which is actually all Black apart from the metallic Rainbow Bracket, it came with a Rainbow Cerberus tank. The Aegis X colour options are Stealth Black, Gunmetal & Camo, Classic Silver, Gold & Black, Green & Black, Rainbow & Black, Red & Black and Signature Orange, all versions come with a Cerberus tank to suit.
Looking at the device from the side opposite the screen we have the familiar metallic bracket with leather covering the spine but ending short of sweeping around the entire spine as we have a full face screen one side. The face of the device has the familiar light switch fire button and further down very tactile navigational buttons. The base houses the sealed battery door with grooved sliding catch then moving up top we have a central Gold plated, spring loaded 510. To one side on the top of the device we have a large deep fitting silicone bung to one side that seals the micro USB port. The device has great ergonomics being equally as comfortable finger or thumb firing with either hand. The build quality is as good as it gets and the Aegis X is one sturdy, robust mod but i am finding a bit too heavy personally for carrying around with me.

Cerberus Specs and Features:

Size: 27 x 46.8mm
Capacity: 5.5ml(Extra 4ml regular glass tube included)
Capacity TPD Version 2ml(Extra 2ml regular glass tube included)
Coil Type: Super Mesh X1 Coil 0.2ohm KA1(best at 60-80W)
Easy Top Filling Design with 5.5ml Large E-juice Capacity
Innovative Super Mesh Coil for Optimal Flavor
Compatible with TFV8 Baby Coils
Adjustable Bottom Airflow Control
Thread: 510
Colours: Stainless Steel, Gunmetal, Blue, Rainbow, Black

Cerberus Overview

The Cerberus Sub-ohm tank is quite a short sub-ohm tank which has a maximum capacity of 5.5ml with the bulge glass, there is also a 4ml straight glass and a TPD version which i guess will have a capacity reducing bung. The airflow control is dual cyclops with stopper and the fill method is top-fill, sitting on top is a low profile 810 drip tip with wide bore (you can fit your own 810 if you wish). The Cerberus borrows the same type of filling method as the Zeus RTA's, so a bayonet fitting needing just a quarter turn to open or secure shut. Both top and base of the tank has nut style knurling which is as much aesthetic as not really needed for grip as all the tolerances on the tank are spot on. The Cerberus comes with 2 mesh coils which are justifiably all the rage at the moment, they are the Super Mesh X1 kanthal mesh coils with a resistance of 0.2ohm. The coils are rated at between 30w - 90w with best being between 60w - 80w, so unlike the X2 coils which have previously been supplied when the Cerberus tank has been included in a kit the X1 has a much broader rating. A big pro for the Cerberus is Baby Beast coils will fit which means there are many mainstream coils compatible with the tank.
The Cerberus is pretty standard fair when it comes to it's various parts and the coil heads get screwed into the base section.

Aegis X Specs and Features:

Battery: 2x 18650 Cell (not included)
Input Voltage: 6.2V-8.4V
Output Voltage: 0.1-12V
Output Wattage: 5-200W
Resistance Range: 0.05Ω-3Ω
Display: 2.4 inch OLED screen
Charger: USB 5V 2A
Output mode: Power/VPC/TC/TCR/Bypass
Temperature range: 100℃~315℃ / 200℉~600℉
200W max power by dual 18650 batteries
Innovative AS 2.0 chipset for strong power support
VW/TC/VPC modes, high speed & accurate operation
Waterproof/Dustproof/Shockproof design for stable use
Clear Colour OLED display for details tracking
Thread: 510
Colours: Stealth Black, Gunmetal & Camo, Classic Silver, Gold & Black, Green & Black, Rainbow & Black, Red & Black, Signature Orange

Waterproof, Dustproof and Shockproof

It's a great durable mod and although no-one including Geekvape will suggest going diving with it or throwing the device from a 9th floor window you would have to go some to break the device by accident. Made from many different durable materials (6 in total) including army grade silicone it will take some knocks. The device is IP67 waterproof which means it will withstand being immersed in water up to 1 meter in depth for up to 30 mins and there's some clever ways the Aegis X is a fully operating device yet waterproof. When looking at the device you might think well water will get in there, there and there etc but there is a way it is kept sealed everywhere.

Fitting The Batteries

The Aegis X accommodates dual 18650 batteries that get fitted via the bottom battery hatch door. We have a strong grooved catch which needs pulling back to allow the door to open on it's spring. The catch is sturdy and needs quite a strong pull and also closing the door takes a bit of effort but for me not really a con because to keep this kind of design waterproof it has to be done this way and it does make it extremely secure so no chance of this door opening on it's own. Battery orientation is labelled at the bottom of the tubes but is just embossed small on the inside of the door so we have a Gold on Gold situation which isn't very visible and i would of liked this much clearer.

Review Continued Below:

Last edited:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

The Display

The Aegis X has a high definition full face 2.4inch display which makes it very easy to read and the use of colour and excellent layout makes the display very aesthetically pleasing. Their is a choice of 3 themes but all present the same information in pretty much the same way so i will describe the layout with the default theme mine came with.
At the top of the display to either side we have the battery status indication bars then all the rest of the information has a central orientation. Next we have the Memory slot being used then underneath this to the left is the mode then next to this the preheat if in Power mode or supplementary information in other modes. To complete the upper section of the display we then have wattage, temperature or voltage depending which mode you are in.
The bottom half of the display has the coil resistance then underneath this the voltage which shows wattage instead in TC or Bypass modes. Next is the Amps followed finally by the puff count which changes to the time of your puff when vaping.

Protections

10's Cut-off Protection
Short Circuit Protection
Over Charging and Discharging Protection
Over-heat Protection
Over-current Protection

Navigating the Aegis X

The Aegis X is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and once on there is some combination key press functions. Pressing both navigational buttons together locks the navigational keys but the device will still fire, also pressing both navigational buttons and fire together turns the screen off as this is stealth mode but again the device will still fire.
The device uses memory slots as your working screens so you have to be using a memory slot but each one of the 4 slots can be set up as you wish and the one in use can be altered on the fly just like you would alter any other regulated device.
To start altering your working screen or change memory slots is 3 clicks of the fire button which highlights the memory slot which now can be altered with the navigational buttons. Whether you wish to change the memory slot or not once ready another click of the fire button highlights the mode and you now can scroll through the different options which are Power, VPC (custom curve), Bypass, TC SS, TC Ni, TC Ti and TCR although you can alter TCR value on the different TC wire screens. Pressing fire again highlights the preheat (or TCR value) which can be changed between standard, powerful of soft and another press of the fire button highlights the coil resistance and allows you to lock it. Finally pressing the fire button again highlights puffs for resetting or setting a puff limit.

So all the basic vaping settings are on this first level and is very user friendly but we do have more settings which takes a bit of getting use to accessing and feel the overall menu could flow better. To access the other settings we first need to press the fire button 3 times as before to be in the menu system and then hold down both navigational buttons for 3 seconds, we then get the other settings displayed in a list which are Auto, Theme, Colour, Version, ABB and Reset. Version and Reset are self explanatory so i will move to Auto which gives you the option if the device asks you if it's an old or new coil. ABB is for the device to use your batteries balanced and i guess this would need to be on for balanced charging. Theme allows you to choose between 3 different display themes and colour allows you to choose between 5 different display colours.
I like what the device offers and the main settings are user friendly but wish the extra settings could be accessed in a much more user friendly way allowing the whole menu system to flow better.

Three different themes!

4 of the display colours!

My Experience Using The Aegis X Kit

I must state i did not use the device in temp control and have no access to data so simply reviewed the device as i experienced it (best way in my opinion, humans vape computers don't).
This screen is massive and the display is so easy to read and being able to customise it is a big pro, after saying that their will be those who couldn't care less for a massive screen and would prefer the Legend. I did wonder about the ergonomics with having the screen one side but it feels great in the hand but found it too heavy for my liking to carry around with me.
As mentioned accessing the extra settings is a bit disjointed but once you have the display how you want it going into these settings will rarely be needed as all the vaping settings, changing modes etc is all done on the first level from the working screen which is a very easy user friendly way of doing things.
The device fires instantly and with impressive ramp up and all the various wattage's i vaped at seemed very accurate as did the resistance readings. The curves feature works great and just like it's build quality it's a solid performer.
The Cerberus tank is a good tank which gives smooth airflow and has the bonus of accommodating mainstream coils (baby beast fitting). Both coils provided are the super mesh X1 0.2ohm coils, i wish they had included an X2 coil which i much prefer but the flavour was on par with other mesh coils in the market if not outstanding. I preferred the X1 at 60W and it gave around 10 days before the flavour was dropping off so again about average.
I understand Geekvape want to maximise sales of both the Aegis X and the Zeus Subohm tank but what an awesome kit this would of been if they had been paired up together (kit of the year possibly).
Of course with how durable the device is and having an IP67 waterproof rating added to just how solidly the device performs the Aegis X is a cracking device but it doesn't seem to have the greatest battery life. It's possibly a bit unfair as i have just been reviewing a couple of Ultroner devices that have simple efficient boards but the battery life while not being shocking by any means i found to definitely be below average for a dual 18650 device.
Back to pros and the Aegis X will accommodate up to a 28mm Atty without overhang and is fully firmware upgradeable. The device also supports 2A balanced charging although i really wouldn't recommend charging inside any device unless it's your only option, on top of that if the silicone plug that keeps the USB watertight is constantly being removed i would imagine over time that seal would become compromised.

More of Nick's Stabwood hybrid drip tips proudly on show!
https://www.nixtips.co.uk/ (Check them out!)

More manufacturer pictures:

Top notch build quality
IP67 rating (waterproof, dustproof, shockproof)
8 Colour options
Feels great in either hand
Light switch style fire button
Secure battery door
2.4inch Colour screen
3 Display themes
5 Display colours
Top tier of menu system user friendly
Performed Solidly in power mode
Curves feature worked great
Bypass mode
TC (not tested)
AS 2.0 Chipset, Fires instantly with impressive ramp up
28mm Atty fits with no overhang
Supports balanced charging at 2A (wouldn't recommend)
Firmware upgradeable
Included Cerberus is a decent tank
Supplied coils on par flavour
Decent longevity
Quick top-fill method
5.5ml Capacity
Spare glass
2 coils included

Cons

Heavy device
Battery life under par
Would of preferred it paired with the Zeus or Alpha Tank
Poorly marked battery orientation on battery door
Full menu system could flow better

I would once again like to thank Clay from Geekvape for supplying the Aegis X Kit for the purpose of this review.

https://www.geekvape.com/project/aegis-x/

Last edited:

VU Sponsors