Become a Patron!

Geek Vape Aegis Legend Experiences and Alternatives?

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The Geek Vape Aegis Legend seems highly-regarded amongst the cognoscenti here on VU :), so I'm thinking or acquiring one. In reading a number of reviews I found the following negatives:
  1. High battery drain in standby
  2. Poor temperature control mode performance
  3. Display highly-susceptible to scratching
#1 apparently has been addressed with a software update, which, I presume, newly-purchased devices would already have?

#2 a reviewer (vaping360, I think?) noted, saying it topped-out at 40W and cut back way too aggressively when it sensed the target temperature was reached. I wonder if anybody here uses theirs in TC mode? (Don't know if I'll ever use TC mode, but if I want to, I'd like it to work well.)

#3 I noted in another review. I wonder what users' here experiences have been.

Lastly: Should I be looking at anything else in a dual-18650? I do not like flashy styling or colours. That's one of the attractions of the Legend. It's got some style, but not too much of it.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
as an alternative you could try the tinker 2 by wismec or the Gen by vaporesso

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
as an alternative you could try the tinker 2 by wismec or the Gen by vaporesso
The Vapresso Gen was leading the pack there for a moment, until I read the coatings are absorbent. Spill juice on it, and who hasn't had a tank leak from time-to-time, and it'll discolour it. So that's out. The Tinker 2 is a definite contender, though. Biggest con I've read so far is its display is hard to read in bright light. My Kaos is like that. It's annoying.

Thanks for the leads.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
TC on my Legend has worked fine since I upgraded firmware to 1.1. I don't use TC all the time but have used it enough.

I think it's a great choice as long as you don't mind the size. Its definitely not small.

bikerboogieman

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I dig my Legend. I have not noticed the batteries draining any faster on it than on any of my other mods. My Gen mod seems to be the best with longer battery life as I use it in eco mode. Not sure about temp control, I only use mine to set watts. I think the screen has a clear plastic on it kinda like on cell phones covering it, that is probably what gets scratched. Mine still is like when I got it. It's a great mod and probably my favorite with the Gen. I haven't bothered with doing any updates to it, as it works just fine. Now regarding the Gen mod, I have gotten some juice on it before and did not experience any discoloring on it at all. It's a great mod and can be had for under $35 bucks. The Legend is a bit more costly, but both mods are worth it in my opinion, which quite honestly isn't worth much...:giggle:

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have an Asmodus Lustro on the way. Yes it has a light bar on it, but it can be shut off. I do think that it will be a great mod though. I mainly go it because I love how Asmodus has their wattage curve function set up, it's really easy to use. I'll let you know for sure after I get it Tuesday and play with it a bit.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
TC on my Legend has worked fine since I upgraded firmware to 1.1. I don't use TC all the time but have used it enough.
Perhaps they fixed the cause of the observation in that one review, then.

I think it's a great choice as long as you don't mind the size. Its definitely not small.
I'm kind of leaning away from it, now, because, in searching on "display" (wondering how they are in bright light [see above]), I found those mods appear to be having problems with display failures. Apparently not a lot of them, but it appears to be a somewhat persistent problem.

I dig my Legend. I have not noticed the batteries draining any faster on it than on any of my other mods.
That problem is reportedly fixed with more current firmware.

I think the screen has a clear plastic on it kinda like on cell phones covering it, that is probably what gets scratched.
Nope. That protective covering, a clear foil, one reviewer recommended leaving in place as long as possible because the screen, itself, is easily-scratched. (Personally, I suspect not much more easily than any other mod, if at all.)

Now regarding the Gen mod, I have gotten some juice on it before and did not experience any discoloring on it at all.
Hmmm... Maybe Vaporesso noted the issue and changed the formulation of the coatings? I think I really like the Gen the best, but that one thing concerns me.

Right now, ranking them, I'm at:
  1. Vaporesso Gen
  2. Wismec Reuleaux Tinker
  3. Geek Vape Aegis Legend
except for my concern, re: The Gen's finish.

Last edited:

bikerboogieman

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year

I'm kind of leaning away from it, now, because, in searching on "display" (wondering how they are in bright light [see above]), I found those mods appear to be having problems with display failures. Apparently not a lot of them, but it appears to be a somewhat persistent problem.

Nope. That protective covering, a clear foil, one reviewer recommended leaving in place as long as possible because the screen, itself, is easily-scratched. (Personally, I suspect not much more easily than any other mod, if at all.)

Hmmm... Maybe Vaporesso noted the issue and changed the formulation of the coatings? I think I really like the Gen the best, but that one thing concerns me.

1. Vaporesso Gen

Sounds good. Good luck with your decision.

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
just FYI done right you can seal any finish from absorbing anything... either with clear krylon or other sealants a little goes a long way just be sure to use safely and use a test area.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have no complaints with my Aegis Legend. I have other mods I use for TC and the firmware upgrade fixed the battery life thing. I haven't beat mine up real bad, but after almost a year and a good deal of use, I haven't noticed any undue scratching on the screen. Love the hand feel.

If you do get one, definitely do the firmware upgrade if it isn't already on there.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The 3 issues mentioned here were only on the original production runs over a year ago, on the new ones being sold today battery drain, which was never an issue it was actually just poor battery life with the original firmware, temp control works like a charm after the initial upgrade back then. The display is fine on mine despite taking a kicking.

I've used one as a work mod since it was first released, easily 200k puffs, beaten up and still going strong. For the price I would have been happy to get six months to a year out of it, everything now is just gravy.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
How readable is the Legend’s display in bright sunlight?

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I can read it outside. Far from the best, but definitely not the worst I've used outside.
Cool. Thanks for the info. That's kind of important for my next mod acquisition, being as that's the biggest complaint I have about my Kaos mod: It's entirely unreadable in sunlight--even if not particularly bright. So now I guess the Aegis Legend is pretty much tied for 1st place with the Vaporesso Gen, with the Reuleaux Tinker in 2nd place. (Though, TBH, I like the looks of the Tinker the most.)

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Cool. Thanks for the info. That's kind of important for my next mod acquisition, being as that's the biggest complaint I have about my Kaos mod: It's entirely unreadable in sunlight--even if not particularly bright. So now I guess the Aegis Legend is pretty much tied for 1st place with the Vaporesso Gen, with the Reuleaux Tinker in 2nd place. (Though, TBH, I like the looks of the Tinker the most.)
I don't think you can go wrong with either one tbh. I've heard nothing but good things about the Gen. I can only speak with experience for the Legend though and I've been thoroughly impressed by it's durability and chip. I know how many puffs I average a day at work and we're talking over 200k on this Chinese mod without a hiccup, that's why I recommend it when someone asks. I haven't seen any drop tests on the Gen, but the Legend can take a pounding.

My only complaint with the mod has been that thick aftermarket battery wraps fit tight, nothing a slight tap on the hand doesn't solve.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

1. Vaporesso Gen

I have a Solo, and the display is scratched. It’s not even like I’m particularly hard on it, either. But it’s the Reliable Beast, imo.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
just FYI done right you can seal any finish from absorbing anything... either with clear krylon or other sealants a little goes a long way just be sure to use safely and use a test area.

I was thinking about a Gen. Is the discoloration a problem?

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was thinking about a Gen. Is the discoloration a problem?
some say its bad depending on the color but think of it like a true leather glove darkening over time from sweat or water. if pre treated the color shift is minimal i read that the worse is the red in terms of noticeable changes

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
some say its bad depending on the color but think of it like a true leather glove darkening over time from sweat or water. if pre treated the color shift is minimal i read that the worse is the red in terms of noticeable changes

I was thinking of black or silver. I’m trying to get a dependable and decent quality mod now, in case NY goes mental again.
I was looking at DNA mods but most of my gear isn’t that expensive. Like $200 seems a lot, but if I’m wanting it to last a while, maybe not.

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was thinking of black or silver. I’m trying to get a dependable and decent quality mod now, in case NY goes mental again.
I was looking at DNA mods but most of my gear isn’t that expensive. Like $200 seems a lot, but if I’m wanting it to last a while, maybe not.
two things last a while is subjective... then again my hanamod dna30 still works if i wanted to us it. if your after a dna cheap there is that 250c in the hardware section the we the people version

second i have a beater rx300 that thing still kicking despite it kissing the floor way to many times over the years... of course i have an aegis legend has a back up and a tinker 2 on the way. plus other ones in the draw for the crash...

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i figured set it at home and i am good even if the screen sucks but i'll let you know

VU Sponsors