Become a Patron!

Gear Recommendations To Help People Quit

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, my girlfriend is up to somewhere between 1 and a half and 2 packs a day of Cowboy Killer Longs and I am (almost desperately) curious as to what you guys personally used when originally kicking analogs to the curb.
Before we fell into the categories of cloud chasers vs flavor chasers or mechs vs regulated or builders vs pre-made most of us picked up our first e-cigs in order to quit smoking regular old cancer sticks, and if you’re like me, it can sometimes be difficult to remember the struggle and what we did to overcome those obstacles, so, I’m throwing a line out to get any ideas on gear and things I might have missed/forgotten or something newer on the scene that I’m not aware of that I could utilize to help my girl out.
My first setup was an eGo pen starter kit, and I used it along with smoking
e7934487b1aac8223b85a47b169ca9f9.jpg

But what actually got me off of the cancer sticks for good was a Kanger EMOW Mega
e0cb77346b3edabdc37d8d22a584b739.jpg

So, that’s the path I tried using for her, but neither worked. I’ve also tried having her use the Aspire Nautilus and Subox Nano Kit and neither worked. Have tried a range of your typical cheap pens from gas stations and even the Blu e-cigs...none of it stuck.
The main drawbacks that she’s complained about with them is not getting a close enough replica to the feel of drawing in a lungful of warm smoke and the feeling that creates...she says vaping is too much like sucking air, even with tight draws and higher nic levels. Also, she says that the “sweetness” that she tastes and feels with practically all juices (even tobacco flavors) when vaping is a huge negative and turns her off of doing it.
I know that vaping is not for everyone and it takes a certain amount of willpower and determination along with whatever smoking cessation product is best for the individual to even have a chance at success...vaping is just the one I’m most familiar with, so, I’m wanting to explore any and all avenues of going that route before crossing Vaping off the list of things to help her quit.
And, yes, I’m also aware that with there being practically unlimited variables that can make something enjoyable or not enjoyable from one person to another, it’s difficult and naive to just assume what worked for one person will definitely work for others, but I’m not above just trial and erroring the hell out of any and all options at this point.
Sorry for the long post (and possibly the oversharing)
Thank y’all in advance for any info/tips/tricks/recommendations you can provide!

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So, my girlfriend is up to somewhere between 1 and a half and 2 packs a day of Cowboy Killer Longs and I am (almost desperately) curious as to what you guys personally used when originally kicking analogs to the curb.
Before we fell into the categories of cloud chasers vs flavor chasers or mechs vs regulated or builders vs pre-made most of us picked up our first e-cigs in order to quit smoking regular old cancer sticks, and if you’re like me, it can sometimes be difficult to remember the struggle and what we did to overcome those obstacles, so, I’m throwing a line out to get any ideas on gear and things I might have missed/forgotten or something newer on the scene that I’m not aware of that I could utilize to help my girl out.

But what actually got me off of the cancer sticks for good was a Kanger EMOW Mega

So, that’s the path I tried using for her, but neither worked. I’ve also tried having her use the Aspire Nautilus and Subox Nano Kit and neither worked. Have tried a range of your typical cheap pens from gas stations and even the Blu e-cigs...none of it stuck.
The main drawbacks that she’s complained about with them is not getting a close enough replica to the feel of drawing in a lungful of warm smoke and the feeling that creates...she says vaping is too much like sucking air, even with tight draws and higher nic levels. Also, she says that the “sweetness” that she tastes and feels with practically all juices (even tobacco flavors) when vaping is a huge negative and turns her off of doing it.
I know that vaping is not for everyone and it takes a certain amount of willpower and determination along with whatever smoking cessation product is best for the individual to even have a chance at success...vaping is just the one I’m most familiar with, so, I’m wanting to explore any and all avenues of going that route before crossing Vaping off the list of things to help her quit.
And, yes, I’m also aware that with there being practically unlimited variables that can make something enjoyable or not enjoyable from one person to another, it’s difficult and naive to just assume what worked for one person will definitely work for others, but I’m not above just trial and erroring the hell out of any and all options at this point.
Thank y’all in advance for any info/tips/tricks/recommendations you can provide!

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!
I used a similar mod and atty to quit smoking. Spinner II with an Aspire atty. Still use it once in awhile....damn good flavor.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't know whether you've tried the berserker MTL RTA or the new one p.busardo helped make by innokin I think. I haven't tried the latter but the former definitely gives a closer feeling to smoking cigarettes than any atomiser I've tried to date, may even try the p.busardo one out too as I still like a cigarette feeling vape.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Great idea Screwball :) I had to go straight for sub ohm and the whole clouds bro stage didn’t feel satisfied unless I had the plumage and big hit from it

TFV4 and H-Priv was what got me off the stinkies for good though I moved up to the beast TFV8 relatively quickly after its initial release

Don’t have that clouds desire really nowadays although still like a decent vapour production and to this day I don’t get on with MTL style of vaping

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can't add much in the hardware aspect. I've been trying to get my mom to quit for years. Has she said why she doesn't like it? Flavors, type of draw, throat hit?

Sometimes it's all in their head. I've heard people say I don't wanna vape because it doesnt look as cool as smoking. Then you have people that don't like it because of all the BS health articles they've seen on social media. Some people dont like how big they are.

If i were to buy my mom another set up, I'd probably try a juul next.

edit: Just make her take a hit off your SZX lol

edit #2: Sorry i missed your second paragraph

Last edited:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Hi Screwball, I go through the same problems with my hubby- I was able to quit smoking after 30+ years by gas station ecigs (Mistics Bridge kits,cartos, and Haus eliquids) and Will Power, I really wanted to quit cigarettes and dragged my hubby along to have him quit smoking too.
3+ years later I have still not smoked a cigarette and have really expanded my ecig horizons to stay that way- I love RTAs , Sub Tanks and dual battery mods and many flavors of eliquids at 3mgs while hubby still dual uses.
He vapes at work and in the cars, too far and cold outside for the smoking area and has been using the Joyetech Penguin for months with the only eliquid he likes is MBV Grape at 6mgs, but not enough to quit cigarettes! I maintain his gear, I make sure he has coils that I change and eliquid that I refill- too much work for him- LOL! He was using the ELeaf iStick mini(10w) with the GSAir tanks for years, probably broke a tank once a week too.
I guess I have to count the cigarettes he does not smoke as a victory, stay off his back and stop nagging him, he says the exact same things as your GF- doesn't taste like a cig, too sweet, no throat hit(but he coughs on every puff)- he loves his cigarettes and has never said he wanted to quit!
Ecigs helped me along with Will Power as" I Wanted To Quit Cigarettes" and so I make them work and they do work for me, 3+ years later!
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink!
Frustrating- I know!

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
edit: Just make her take a hit off your SZX lol

Lol, she’s scared as hell to try using any of the gear I use anymore, particularly tubes. I had accidentally left this little number at her place one day
4d37ebc29de9a350c409cbb1bbb4008b.jpg

Pegasus Clone with an Authentic Mini Buddha and I’m pretty sure it was during my parallel phase, so, it more than like had this 3-strand 26ga N80 build in it
2c5e8043624c10c9ecc25494fd11383e.jpg

I get a text while I’m at work from her talking about how insane I am and how it’s not humanly possible for anyone to use that stuff because she was curious and snuck a hit off it, which resulted in what she called “Watching my soul leave my body” as it triggered a coughing fit for the next half hour or so...and unfortunately that was her first experience with vaping, leaving her a bit gun shy about the idea of vaping, regardless of what the setup was. Me laughing my ass off at her was probably not the best reaction, in retrospect...

randallpiz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If a Nautilus with fairly high nic (18-36ish mg), 50/50 PG/VG, running the 1.6 or 1.8 coil at 8-15 watts...
If that doesn't work, what you've got is a smoker.
They're out there, of the 2 dozen or so family members I've tried to convert, exactly ONE now Vapes.
Everyone else still smokes.
I personally use a T18, it mimics airflow of cigarette without adjustable airflow.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On the juice side, if I’m able to start ordering my DIY stuff tomorrow, maybe in order to eliminate the “sweet” factor she doesn’t like from juices, I can make a straight VG/PG/Nic juice with no flavoring in it at all? As horrible as that sounds to me, maybe it could work? Bump up the PG from what I use to increase throat hit and bump the nicotine up to adjust for a MTL draw along with the fact she’s such a heavy smoker maybe. But I’ve heard VG on it’s own is a bit sweet, and if so, is it noticeable while vaping and is there a way to counter that?

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
On the juice side, if I’m able to start ordering my DIY stuff tomorrow, maybe in order to eliminate the “sweet” factor she doesn’t like from juices, I can make a straight VG/PG/Nic juice with no flavoring in it at all? As horrible as that sounds to me, maybe it could work? Bump up the PG from what I use to increase throat hit and bump the nicotine up to adjust for a MTL draw along with the fact she’s such a heavy smoker maybe. But I’ve heard VG on it’s own is a bit sweet, and if so, is it noticeable while vaping and is there a way to counter that?

I wouldn't worry about the sweetness of the VG. You're probably going to mix 50/50 anyways for a set up that she wants.

But yeah, there are people that don't use flavors and love it. I've tried it before. It's not bad at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
is there a way to counter that?
A few drops of FlavourArt Bitter Wizard maybe, but most tobacco flavorings taste like a freshly opened pack of cigarettes smell, and that's usually sweet to a degree.
Does she really want to quit? Because that is a huge factor in making vaping successful. If one doesn't really want to quit, no cessation method is going to work. Some folks just enjoy smoking, bottom line. Pair that with the "comfort zone" of going with what you know, it's gonna be tougher to get her off the stinkies. My Mom was like that, said she enjoyed it and would never quit. But she changed her mind during the fourth or fifth trip to the ER, turning colors and struggling to breathe. She finally quit smoking, but doesn't vape either. And I hate that it had to come to that.
She wants "heat," so you obviously need to start out with sub ohm. MTL tanks mimic a cigarette better than he wider bore tips on most other sub ohm tanks, but you know that too. As far as flavor, most all vendor juices taste at least somewhat sweet as a selling point. DIY may be your best bet at this point, with a couple of enhancers to tone down the sweetness, like the FA bitter wizard, Inawera DNB (dirty neutral base), or a few dry tobacco flavorings. I can't personally recommend any of those as I haven't tried that many tobaccos, but a few here can make recommendations. @downInTn

Carmmond

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I set up a friend with my Therion 166 and an OBS Engine .23Ohm SS316L coil and 4meg juice. I picked the Engine because you can use it MTL or DL and with setting the Therion in TC, 70W @ 425F it comes out a nice warm vape. He has went down to 8 cigs in the last two days... keep in mind he came and asked me about vapeing so he wants it to work.
As for the sweet juice maybe have her try a menthol tobacco till you spin up your DIY.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

A+ for the Juul suggestion - closest thing to a cigarette I've ever vaped

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That looks like a pretty damn good idea. Looks a lot like the Pulse Pod System by Limitless. Of course, I don’t have any experience using either of those devices, but I can see how that would work...it takes something like the Blu e-cig has of being similar to cigs in look and feel but they’ve boosted the performance and vapor production so that you aren’t just exhaling a couple of wisps...you get a more realistic cloud.
With the Limitless Pulse setup you can fill the pods with your choice of juice, though, and I can’t tell if the Juul has that same feature or if you are just able to use the flavors they make to use in that system. Anyone know if that’s the case? Seems like if you are stuck with non-refillable pods that can only use a set flavor made by that company it might be cheaper over time (and easier to adjust for preference) using a system where you can fill the pods with your own juice as well.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
That looks like a pretty damn good idea. Looks a lot like the Pulse Pod System by Limitless. Of course, I don’t have any experience using either of those devices, but I can see how that would work...it takes something like the Blu e-cig has of being similar to cigs in look and feel but they’ve boosted the performance and vapor production so that you aren’t just exhaling a couple of wisps...you get a more realistic cloud.
With the Limitless Pulse setup you can fill the pods with your choice of juice, though, and I can’t tell if the Juul has that same feature or if you are just able to use the flavors they make to use in that system. Anyone know if that’s the case? Seems like if you are stuck with non-refillable pods that can only use a set flavor made by that company it might be cheaper over time (and easier to adjust for preference) using a system where you can fill the pods with your own juice as well.

It is certainly not the cheapest system - but if you have a stubborn smoker to contend with, may be worth the investment

The thing is, the proprietary juice in the pods are part of what makes it such a close match to cigarettes

VU Sponsors