Become a Patron!

G priv 2, Charging

So yesterday I bought the Smok G priv 2, and it’s so far a great product, love the setup and the vaping performance. The vape itself uses 2 batteries like thick ones. However, my only doubt is, can I charge the vape with the micro Usb cable provided or do I actually need a battery charger. As I recall, that is what I was told, that I needed a separate battery charger. Anyone who can help, thanks.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Lots of people charge in the mod but it's always recommended to use a battery charger, it's safer and on the slim chance a battery is bad it won't trash your mod. Also if you have a charger and extra batteries you don't have down time recharging in the mod. Those "thick ones" are very powerful and can hurt you or burn your house down. Treat them with respect and keep them in a case when not in the mod. A lot of us buy from here. https://liionwholesale.com. 25-30 bucks will get you 2 batteries and a charger. You want Sony, Samsung or LG brands 20 amp minimum. I'd suggest reading through the battery section of the forum.

Welcome to the VU.

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Ideally, you use a charger on the long run. I experimented with various dual battery mods, fully charging via the USB, and measuring their Voltage afterwards. It turned out, that they had different Voltages (+/- 0.2 V). Therefore, if you have to use the USB for charging the batteries, switch/rotate their positions.

levander

Member For 4 Years
I realize this is an old thread, but it’s the first hit that came up in the Google search I just tried. So figured I’d bump it for others searching the same thing.

It used to be that charging dual 18650 mods via USB just did not work very well at all. It wasn’t just like you guys are recommending against it. It was like some dual 18650 mods had a charging port. But you’d plug a USB cable in and try to charge and one of the batteries would charge but the other wouldn’t, or they’d charge unevenly or something like that.

You guys are still recommending against it. But it doesn’t sound like the situation is as dire as it used to be where it just wouldn’t work. I had a triple 18650 Wisemec Releaux device at one point I tried it with. And I forget exactly what happened, but I tried it one time and I was like, yeah. Not trying that again...

Did companies start putting some feature on dual 18650 mods that let you charge them via USB better?

I know most vaping hobbyists are adamant that they prefer external batteries and will tell everyone that’s what they should get. But I’m someone who really prefers USB charging. I have several USB charging stations, around where I typically am and it makes it effortless to keep my phone, keychain flashlight, mod, backup battery, TV remotes, etc.. charged. I’m not somewhere where I can just go in the other room and grab a couple of 18650’s a lot of times.

So for someone who’s basically chosen USB charging as a “lifestyle choice”, should I just go ahead and get an internal battery that charges via USB? The problem with that option seems to be that there are not many of these devices on the market with very large batteries. The main ones I’ve found are the Kanger Pollex, the Smok V-Fin, and the Innokin MVP-4. And the MVP-4 isn’t even listed on the Innokin web site as one of their recent mods any more. For various reasons, none of the mods am I really excited about. So it would open a lot of options if I could get a dual 18650 device like the G-Priv 2.

GrayG70

Member For 1 Year
DOesnt matter what mod you have, if it used removable batteries, never charge them in the mod, as far as im aware, Most, if not all, mods, do not have the ability to evenly charge batteries, therefore a dedicated external charger is advised. I actually ruined a good set of batteries by charging my mod via its usb port when i first started vaping.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Charging VIA USB Port is perfectly acceptable and I have been doing it for years. Even with 2 4 Bay chargers I don't have enough bays to charge all my batteries. The Technology has come a long way so get with the times. I see too many posts of people telling others not to charge with the USB but they do not know the MOD in question has a built in battery and there is no other way to charge it................

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know how people can say charging with mod messed up their batteries. Batteries can just be defective. I have recently bought a set of batteries and only charged them once when they arrived with a nitecore D4. The second time I put them on the charger one of the batteries was only showing .75V maybe used this set an hour and the second battery was showing 4.18V

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Most, if not all, mods, do not have the ability to evenly charge batteries
Unfortunately until manufacturers provide proper documentation for their devices this sort of generalisation will continue to be made.

No responsible manufacturer would produce a multi cell device using Lithium-ion batteries that didn't have cell monitoring so I find it hard to believe that a high percentage of devices out there wouldn't have this.

On the charging front cell balancing circuitry is pretty standard stuff - the wider charging circuitry is. Its hard to believe that different mod manufacturers will be reinventing the wheel here doing wildly different things.

What is going to be in the average mod won't be much different to what you get in the average charger. If you spend a bit more money on a charger you might get some control of the settings but then the charging circuit in your mod is going to be configured to safely charge the type of battery that fit in it.

The main thing an external charger is going to give you is that in the unlikely event something goes wrong, it will be your battery charger might get damaged rather than your mod. If you are spending enough on a charger for it to be significantly better than the charging circuit in your mod, its going to cost the same if not more than your mod does anyway.

I would get an extra set of batteries for it and a charger, its not good charging anything via usb
Ok I got a question i was just given a touch screen g-prive smok 220w got some new batteries and a one battery charger and I put one on it for 5 hours today and the other one for 2 no sign of s charge I currently have them in my mod with my phone charger hooked to it done lost which one I already charged what should I do

VU Sponsors