Become a Patron!

Funky taste from dripbox 160

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I've had a dripbox 160 for around a month, great work and travel mod, but I always get a funky taste from it. Ive cleaned the bottle very well several times, but it's still there and starting to annoy me. I often find myself dripping which defeats the purpose of having a bottom feeder. Can't put a finger on the taste, just off. I jokingly refer to it as "essence of China". Thought at first maybe there was a little machine oil in the tube leading to the 510, but I've put countless bottles of juice through it and it is just as strong as it ever was, no more no less. It's not the rda because after putting it on another mod it goes away.

When I first clean the bottle and refill it it's ok for an hour or so, then it returns, which makes me think that it's the bottle but how? Is my juice slowly dissolving it?:headbang: The mod fits my needs perfectly as a work mod but it's starting to piss me off making my juice taste like chemicals. Wondering if anyone else has/had this issue. I have extra bottles may try a new one.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
IMG_0195.gif

ResIpsa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't have one of those squonkers. You might be better off asking one the mods to move this to the bottom feeders section. You might get more looks and get some advice.

Chris

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I moved the thread to the bottom feeders section where you may have a better chance at finding an answer to your question.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The way I have cleaned out plastic bottles from taste/odor:
Rinse well with warm tapwater.
Fill halfway, put finger over top and shake, dump and repeat 4 times or so.

shake the water out of bottle and fill with isopropyl alcohol.
Let sit for a couple of hours.
dump alcohol and let dry with the top open for 24 hours.

This has removed persistent flavors and such for me.
the alcohol seems to absorb, flavors/odors from the plastic.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
The way I have cleaned out plastic bottles from taste/odor:
Rinse well with warm tapwater.
Fill halfway, put finger over top and shake, dump and repeat 4 times or so.

shake the water out of bottle and fill with isopropyl alcohol.
Let sit for a couple of hours.
dump alcohol and let dry with the top open for 24 hours.

This has removed persistent flavors and such for me.
the alcohol seems to absorb, flavors/odors from the plastic.
Thanks, I'll definitely give the alcohol a shot, fingers crossed.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks, I'll definitely give the alcohol a shot, fingers crossed.
I have used it to clean out flavoring bottles with strong aka tobacco flavors and it worked for me.

I think I may have had some taste issues with my Dripbox bottles when I first got it.
I cleaned em all out with isopropyl and no more issues.

Not sure it has been over 6 months ago...
Senior moment...

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Want to say a big thanks to @The Cromwell , let the alcohol sit for several hours and washed it out, filled it with liquid and let it sit overnight to see. A quick squonk this morning and no more funkieness! I'll enjoy this mod a lot more, thanks sir
IMG_0152.gif

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the info, Cromwell. I recently got a Coppervape and had the same problem.
Yeah I did the procedure on my coppervape bottles as well.
As well as reusing flavoring bottles.

It is also helpful when switching from a strong flavor in the bottle to another flavor.

Last edited:

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had the same issue with mine. It's not the bottle it's the wicking. If you are using the stock heads rebuild them. The drip box shines with 26ga 3mm 8-11 wrap coil built high to be in front of the airflow. The heat from the .25 coils seems to be making something in there produced a funky almost plastic taste. I'll post pics of my rebuild. The flavor is booming above .5 ohm

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had the same issue with mine. It's not the bottle it's the wicking. If you are using the stock heads rebuild them. The drip box shines with 26ga 3mm 8-11 wrap coil built high to be in front of the airflow. The heat from the .25 coils seems to be making something in there produced a funky almost plastic taste. I'll post pics of my rebuild. The flavor is booming above .5 ohm

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The stock heads suck.
Do your own builds and pull the coils up so that they are even with the air slots and it is a NICE vape.
I put 3mm id 8 wrap 25 ga ss316L coils in mine.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Mine was definitely the bottles, the rda and cotton/coils that came with the 160 have never been taken out of the original box. I use an OG goon with my own SS 317l fused claptons, kgd wick. I could take another bottom feed atty off another mod, give a squeeze on the 160 and yuck. The alcohol cleaning of the bottles did the trick. The taste tasted just like the battery compartment smells, lol so glad it's gone.

I really do have a new found love for this mod, surprised how well temp control on this thing actually works for the cost of the mod.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Is KGD cotton any better or worse than Muji cotton? I know there's room for subjectivity. I use the Muji & am merely curious if there is any difference taste wise?

VU Sponsors