Become a Patron!

Freezing Nic Base in Nalgene Wide-Mouth HDPE bottles

Callipleura

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was wondering what peoples thoughts or experiences with storing nic base in the freezer using Nalgene Wide-Mouth HDPE bottles are?
Like this: http://www.mec.ca/product/1601-178/nalgene-wide-mouth-hdpe-water-bottle/

Things I like about them:
- They are easy for me to get locally (Ie: no shipping in Canada required) and I already have a bunch and can always get them easily.
- I like that they have a wide mouth (can get a pipette in there easily and aren't deep so I can get to the bottom easily in a 30ml bottle).

I was thinking of breaking a 250ml nic base into ~8 of the 30ml bottles one time. That way I would only be working with 30ml at a time as 60ml is too long a time for me (based on some back calculations) and once I freeze I don't want to refreeze etc.

If amber glass is "better" I could try and source the same style in glass, but if the difference between glass and HDPE isn't great then I would be happy using them. I am just looking for a system and looking for any insights.
I remember something about mice and men and plans... lol.
Cheers

YardByrd

Member For 4 Years
CAW! Salutations from across the Realms! My experience is to never store nicotine in plastic! See this link, please, the section re: storing liquid nicotine.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/nicotine-safety-and-handling-information.121/#post-158

In my research I have found that there is always a risk of molecular transference happening from, or through, plastic to nicotine. This could ruin your liquid nicotine and if used may be hazardous. This old Byrd votes for dark amber or dark blue glass for storing nicotine. This is the way all of mine is stored in my freezer. You can also google something like "Why should I store my liquid Nicotine in glass containers?" and will find a myriad of information on why this should be done. I hope this helps and wish you happy and save DIYing and vaping. *pax* and CAW!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
CAW! Salutations from across the Realms! My experience is to never store nicotine in plastic! See this link, please, the section re: storing liquid nicotine.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/nicotine-safety-and-handling-information.121/#post-158

In my research I have found that there is always a risk of molecular transference happening from, or through, plastic to nicotine. This could ruin your liquid nicotine and if used may be hazardous. This old Byrd votes for dark amber or dark blue glass for storing nicotine. This is the way all of mine is stored in my freezer. You can also google something like "Why should I store my liquid Nicotine in glass containers?" and will find a myriad of information on why this should be done. I hope this helps and wish you happy and save DIYing and vaping. *pax* and CAW!
+1
I'm using brown glass bottles. Blue are good as well though.

Callipleura

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for everyone's feedback. :)

I got lucky and found a source for bottles nearby - shipping in Canada sucks... you Yanks have no idea now nice the US postal service is... lol... (media rates - no such thing in Canada... I remember as well there was a box and no matter the weight the US postal system would ship it for a fixed price... no such thing in Canada).

I had been reading on another site for the last while as well and yes sticking to glass is the way to go.

For future reference (link to another site):
Bottle help with freezing nic juice
- 30ml seemed to be a good working size.
- other tips on packing with paper towels, all bottles packed in another container, etc, worth the read and following links.

I found a place that sells Amber Glass Bottles in Ontario (30ml) and they have other sizes and colours (free pick-up's):
http://www.saffireblue.ca/shop/bottles-and-vials/amber-glass-bottles/amber-glass-bottle-1-oz

Black Phenolic Lid with Polycone Liner for the bottles above:
http://www.saffireblue.ca/shop/closures/20-400-closures/black-phenolic-lidpolycone-liner-20-400

I decided I am going to spend the cash up front and measure by weight, the more I think about it - the more measuring by volume seems like a hassle (cleanup, hoping a pharmacist will sell you a bunch of syringes, finding a graduated cylinder, etc).

So a glass dropper for the working nic base bottle.
http://www.saffireblue.ca/shop/closures/20-400-closures/glass-dropper-1-oz-20-400
- I don’t know if this is better or if disposable pipettes are the way to go? I don't think the glass dropper will reach to the very bottom of the end of the bottle. Maybe get a glass dropper the next bottle size up? Anyone? I am aware that euro dropper type bottles might be "safer" according to the first link but I don't really want to use syringes or blunt tip needles - it sort of kills the beauty of working with a scale - idk.

For flavouring the FA bottles I will be getting have dropper tips - so no other mixing hardware required. I am ok with the flavouring living in plastic bottles for now.

I should find a local source for PG and VG dispensing bottles with Yorker type tips. If I find a source I’ll update this for people in Ontario. I know funnels can be had at “the dollar store” type places (for breaking your nic base bottles down to 30ml bottles to be frozen and if you want a funnel when mixing on a scale for a bit bigger of a target, for moving bulk PG/VG into Yorker type bottles).

I already have safety equipment and a stainless steel serving tray thing with a lip to mix in - in case the worst happens and I knock the nic base over to contain a spill - another reason why I don't think euro dropper type bottles are needed to hold a nic base. But safety is very important regardless what I think or end up doing.

I think that is most things for hardware that is needed for mixing if you use a scale. It seems like it could be a simple and clean way to mix.
Cheers

Last edited:

msjs91011

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
does packaging options direct ever offer free shipping?

msjs91011

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
yeah i went to get 20 50ml bottles plus lids, the cost was $14 and change, and they wanted $9 to ship. OUCH. :( IDK if I am being a tightwad or not but those shipping charges seem oppressive to me.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Shipping can be a real pain, but I sure can't find anything local, so far.

VU Sponsors