Become a Patron!

FreeMaX Scylla

SOC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got one of these today. I didn't "need" another subtank, but both the original Starre and Uwell Crown have been such good tanks, I figured I'd try either this or the Uwell Rafale. This one looked to be a bit less complicated and offer some amusing features, so I went for it. Bee nvaping on it for about five hours, atop an RX200 with VTC4s.

This might become my new favorite subtank, displacing the Crown. I'd been a huge fan of the original Starre, and only really started hitting my Crown after the Starre Pro turned out to be a bit disappointing (the Starre Pro replaced my original Starre, which was assassinated).
Things changed on the Scylla compared to the Starre Pro:

1. Annoying drip tip airflow holes are gone! Hated those, they just seemed to collect spit-back juice and generally mess everything up.

2. Top fill is far less complicated, and probably the best I've seen on a subtank. Twist to unlock, lift out. Fill juice. Reinsert, twist to lock, done. Not as simple as the Crown which is just a twist-off cap, but seems to be a bit more solid of a seal given how it locks down. Also good is that the juice fill cap lifts out of the actual top cap, so you don't have to actually unscrew the top of the tank. I've had the top of the Crown get stuck and inadvertently unscrewed way more than I intended, which did not give favorable results...

3. Airflow seems to be increased giving a much better draw. The original Starre had a great draw but it seemed more restricted on the Starre Pro.
New for this one is the ceramic coil. First off, holy crap small juice holes? No problem though, been through three tanks and it has no issues wicking 80% VG juice. It can have a weird ramp-up time if it's cooled off, a split second or so where it waits to actually fire. Also, it doesn't seem to appreciate power levels below about 50 Watts or so. Frankly it doesn't really start to hit great until 80 Watts; I've had it as high as 120 without any issues but the further you go into the triple digit range the vapor really heats up.

I have seen people claim that the ceramic coil doesn't last long at all. Don't care at all, and let me tell you why. I think the flavor is a bit muted on the ceramic coil. Vaping the Scylla next to the Crown, both at comparable ohms (0.3 Scylla, 0.25 Crown) and 80 Watts, the Crown's stainless steel coils have better flavor. Scylla pushes out a bit more vapor, but the flavor is a bit "drier", similar to what I get sometimes when using Ni200 coils in temperature control mode. So, if the ceramic coil craps out tomorrow, I won't care for two reasons. First, the original 0.25 ohm Kanthal coils from the Starre and Starre Pro work just fine here, and they were every bit as good flavor-wise as the Crown's coils. Second, I think the ceramic coil is using a lot of power, even at 80 Watts. That's a gut feeling looking at the RX200's battery indicator. So, if the ceramic coil craps out, big deal, it's not that impressive anyway. I'll slap an old 0.25 in there and be perfectly happy, I got a month out of those on average, and that was using it as my all day tank.

There's also an odd, stacked dual coil RTA included. Actually there's a mess of stuff in the box (spare glass, screwdrivers, other bits and pieces), but this thing is pretty amusing in concept. I haven't tried it out but some reviewers who've tested it seem to think it's pretty damn good. It can also be built as a single coil, and parts are included to make that work.

So, if you like the Crown, and want to screw with something new, try this thing out. If you haven't tried a Crown or Starre and are looking for a good sub-ohm tank, try this thing out! With a better top-fill system, coils that taste as good and last as long as the Crown's coils if you use the old ones, and the stacked dual coil RTA, this thing likely just became my favorite subtank. Part of that might be because it's the shiny new toy, but I did originally prefer the Starre to the Crown and can easily see myself sticking a stock 0.25 ohm coil in here and not complaining at all. If there's a con it's that the ceramic coil appears to be a waste of time. And no, I didn't try the damn thing in temp control mode because I've given up on TC. Just doesn't do it for me. But if it works for you, the original 0.15 Ni200 TC coils work here as well, and apparently the ceramic coil can work in TC mode.

SOC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In refilling the tank I remembered something the ceramic coil might actually be good for. You know how when you change flavors in a tank, there's a few hits of the old flavor, some potentially nasty hits of mixed flavor, and eventually you're vaping the new flavor? I went from melon to menthol. I got two hits of weirdo minty cantaloupes (which actually was oddly amusing), and then no more melon. Maybe the ceramic coil has something to do with that, who knows. Still haven't found a juice that really works in this thing yet, they've all been a bit muted.

SOC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Noticed another potential side effect of the ceramic coil today. Been vaping this thing on top of an RX200 with VTC4s, as I mentioned above. I've been switching off between this setup and a new Fuchai 200W with my every day Crown tank (Crown's got my every day menthol, I've been trying different stuff in the Scylla to test flavors). I did hit the Scylla pretty solid for about five hours last night, and off and on all day today. I've noticed that the battery drain is pretty substantial. I expected a lot more battery life out of the three VTC4s; running my old Sig 150TC I'd get about two days of vaping @ 80 watts before switching batts. Scylla has already dropped the RX200 to what I assume is a little beyond halfway (there's no percentage, just a battery icon). Maybe the batteries need a few cycles to break in, who knows. But my impression right now is that the ceramic coil is a big power hog. Like I said before, all this is really irrelevant as I don't see myself really using the ceramic coil. Once it dies a normal 0.25 will go in there. But, tastes differ, so somebody may like the ceramic coil's vape. So be warned, it might suck batteries! Next plan is to stick it on the Sig 150TC with a fresh set of batts. That thing has a percentage readout for battery life so I can better monitor how much power it's using. Which I probably shoulda done to begin with, but new RX200!

VU Sponsors