Become a Patron!

Freemax Gemm 80W Kit Vape Review

Bl4ckKat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Gemm Kit is the latest vaping starter kit from Freemax. The kit comes with the Gemm battery and the Gemm disposable tank. The Gemm disposable tanks use the same tea fiber cotton blend found in the TX series coils, and feature a new diamond mesh structure.

Find out more here https://www.freemaxvape.com/freemax-gemm-80w-starter-kit/

MG_0899.png

Specs

• Size 25mm 131.65mm (Standard Edition) /122.85mm (TPD)
  • Capacity 5/4ml (Standard Edition) 2ml (TPD)
  • Built in 2900mAh battery
  • Variable wattage 40W, 60W, 80W
  • Resistance range 0.1Ω-3Ω
  • 6 different coils available
  • Colours White, Black, Rainbow, Blue, Purple

MG_0882.png

It’s not a pod!

With so many companies focusing on pod systems at the moment, Freemax have gone in another direction with the Gemm 80W kit. Disposable tanks have been around for a while now, such as the Vzone Preco tanks that I reviewed late last year. The Gemm kit is very simple to setup and use, which makes it perfect for new vapers.

In a market currently flooded with pod systems it’s great to see a manufacturer focusing on simple starter kits for direct lung vapers. Not every vaper wants to start with pods or mouth to lung devices. For complete beginners the Gemm kit offers a convenient and simple way to get started vaping.

MG_0952.png

Battery

The Gemm’s built in battery has a 2900mAh capacity, which is actually more than the Twister with it’s 2300mAh battery. The battery has a simple compact design with a power button and LED indicator. Charging is done through the micro usb charge port located on the back of the battery. The base of the Gemm has ample battery ventilation holes.

Battery life is pretty impressive 2900mAh is more than enough to keep you vaping through an entire day even on the highest wattage setting of 80W. Charging time does seem to take several hours, and you cannot use the Gemm while it is charging. The initial charge lasted for 4 days of moderate vaping. The Gemm 80W has all the usual protectections, as well as overcharging protection.

MG_0884.png

pixel.png

Coils

Freemax gives you lots of choices when it comes to coils, the Gem tanks are called the G series and there are six types available.The beauty of the Gemm disposable tanks is that there’s no need to prime your coils or worry about orings and potential leaks. The closed system allows for simple top filling and the extra large juice leading holes ensure the cotton stays well soaked. The G series coils also use a new diamond mesh structure to aid juice absorption and enhance cloud production and flavour.

MG_0895.png

The G2 single mesh coil has a resistance of 0.5Ω and is best vaped at the lower setting of 20-30W. This coil would be more suited to MTL vapors if you restrict the airflow of the Gemm tank. The G3 triple mesh coil with a resistance of 0.15Ω is good for vaping 40-90W. Using this coils bumps up the Gemm’s maximum output voltage to 90W. The Gemm tanks provide the same level of flavour you know and love in Freemax’s other mesh coils.

The coils I tested in this review are the G1, G2 dual mesh, and the G3. The only real difference between the three was varying levels of vapour production and a difference in temperature. All of the coils tested has the same great flavour. The G3 coil provides a slightly warmer vape and very thick clouds, where the G1 produces a little less vapor and is slightly cooler. The G2 dual mesh is something in the middle, the best balance of clouds and flavour.

MG_0885.png

Affordability

The Gemm tanks are said to last longer than other disposable tanks on the market. I have been vaping on the G1 single mesh coil over the last week and flavour is still going strong even whilst using a really sweet juice. The G series coils have the same longevity that you experience from other Freemax coils. A pack of 2 replacement tanks can be picked up for under $10USD or around $13AUD.

The Gemm 80W kit can be purchased at the moment between $16-25USD or around $30AUD. That’s about the same price as many pods on the market, and provides good value with the inclusion in the kit of two Gemm tanks. The large battery capacity and long lasting coils, makes the Gemm kit a really affordable and convenient option for new vapers.

MG_0886.png

Performance

The Gemm tanks have a 5ml capacity with the G1 single mesh coils, and a 4ml capacity with the rest of the G series coils. The size difference accommodates the extra space needed for the double to quad mesh coils. The single mesh coil has a decent enough surface area to produce some thick and flavourful clouds, without being a juice guzzler. The 5ml capacity and 2900mAh will get you through a day or more of vaping, slightly less if you happen to be a heavy vaper.

Honestly, in terms of performance I can’t feel much difference between the Gemm tank and the Fireluke and Fireluke 2, also from Freemax. The Gemm tanks manage to deliver on performance and flavour at a very affordable price. The chip inside the Gemm 80W provides a maximum power of 80W (90W with the G3 coil) and vapor production from the Gemm tanks is on par with other Freemax tanks.

MG_0897.png

Pros

• Very simple kit to setup and use, perfect for new vapers or those looking for a good vape for travelling.
  • Battery capacity is really decent for the 80W output, you will be able to get through a day of vaping on a single charge.
  • The battery itself looks nice and comes in a variety of colours. The design of the tank is simple, for a plastic tank it has an attractive design.
  • Lightweight and easy to use. Great for people that may have trouble using a heavier mod or putting together tanks.
  • Price, for less than $30US you have all you need to start vaping, without the added expensive of 18650 batteries or an external charger.
  • You can also use the Gemm battery with standard sub ohm tanks or RDA’s
  • The Gemm tanks provide a great way for new vapers to try sub ohm vaping without spending a large amount of money.
Cons
  • The Gemm tanks are prone to condensation build up, but I don’t think this is anymore than you experience with any sub ohm tank. It’s just more visible because of the transparent plastic. Easy solution is to clean the chimney with a q tip or tissue.
  • The Gemm battery does not have passthrough capabilities so you can’t use it while it’s charging. With the larger battery charging time takes several hours.
  • It’s a shame the large double, triple, and quad core coils reduce the tank capacity. The 5ml is a good capacity 4ml with quad mesh coils you tend to go through the juice quicker and need the larger capacity.
  • Being disposable the tanks just go in the bin when they lose flavour or the coil burns out, if you are environmentally conscious then you may not appreciate this concept.

Update:
Freemax have provided m with some extra information on the Gemm tank. The PCTG material is a food grade plastic and is recyclable. Here is the link to the safety testing reports.

https://www.freemaxvape.com/safety-certificate-of-gemm-disposable-material/

Find out more about the Gemm Disposable tank here https://www.freemaxvape.com/safety-certificate-of-gemm-disposable-material/

MG_0869.png

Bottom Line

The Gemm 80W Kit offers surprisingly good performance and value. Sub ohm starter kits aren’t or everyone, but the Gemm kit offers new vapers an alternative to buying a more expensive 18650 kit. It would be great if manufacturers could start making disposable tanks and pods recyclable or biodegradable. The pricing of disposable tanks is similar to traditional coils, if the price comes down a little more I think they would become a more popular option with vapers.

I’ve been impressed with the power output and battery capacity in the Gemm kit. It’s more than enough to meet the needs of new vapers, while also being powerful enough to use with a regular sub ohm tank. It’s simplicity and compact size also make the Gemm 80W kit a great all day carry. Flavour is more than what I was expecting from a disposable tank, just as good as the flavour I experience with the Freemax TX series coils.

The Gemm 80W kit is great for beginners. I rate the Gemm 80W kit a 9/10 for its simplicity, power and battery capacity. For flavour I rate the Gemm tanks right up there with Freemax’s other mesh coils. Although, the airflow is a little turbulent so I give them an 8.5/10. The only real downside for me is the fact that they aren’t environmentally friendly. Disposable tanks are definitely convenient for many reasons, I’m sure we’re going to see more of them. Hopefully in the future they will become more economical as well as recyclable.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors