Become a Patron!

Frankenskull

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This probably comes up a lot so I apologize if this has been asked before.

While squonk hunting I came across the Frankenskull clone and really like the looks of it. I was just wondering if anyone has experience and where the best place to get one is.

Thanks

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
They are fun little mechs - but you notice the cheap price, it also means some cheap problems, lol, but they can be overcome.

I got mine from FastTesch

A big concern is the battery contacts inside - use extreme care when placing the battery

The contacts will rip into the battery wrap on the top and bottom edges if you are not extremely careful. I ruined a perfectly good battery first time trying it out :eek:

Also, make sure you use floss or anther thin, strong string, ribbon, etc. to place around the battery to help pull it out.

The stock bottles are the A #1 worst I've ever tried, hands down period.

No comment on the attie it comes with - never bought one with an attie because as a rule, atties that come with squonkers are awful, so never tried theirs.

I've seen some posts that reporting other difficulties - but many are more personal gripes that universal problems like I posted above.

Mine is reserved for fun - would not ever recommend it for anyone's daily driver or even a reliable backup.

Would recommend if you want to see if a tiny plastic squonker is for you

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They are fun little mechs - but you notice the cheap price, it also means some cheap problems, lol, but they can be overcome.

I got mine from FastTesch

A big concern is the battery contacts inside - use extreme care when placing the battery

The contacts will rip into the battery wrap on the top and bottom edges if you are not extremely careful. I ruined a perfectly good battery first time trying it out :eek:

Also, make sure you use floss or anther thin, strong string, ribbon, etc. to place around the battery to help pull it out.

The stock bottles are the A #1 worst I've ever tried, hands down period.

No comment on the attie it comes with - never bought one with an attie because as a rule, atties that come with squonkers are awful, so never tried theirs.

I've seen some posts that reporting other difficulties - but many are more personal gripes that universal problems like I posted above.

Mine is reserved for fun - would not ever recommend it for anyone's daily driver or even a reliable backup.

Would recommend if you want to see if a tiny plastic squonker is for you

Wow thanks for the info! Considering how inexpensive they are I'm going to pick on up to play with.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Wow thanks for the info! Considering how inexpensive they are I'm going to pick on up to play with.

I *heard* there is a sizeable thread on BrandX forum dedicated solely to modding these Frankenclones

caihlen

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Rumor has it that Juice is correct.

ituk78

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would like to try a mechanical as well... using at the moment 3 picos squeeze. I would like to try a Reo but it is quite expensive just to try (especially to receive it here in the uk). Do the Frankenskull (original or clones) have any (if that really works) safety trick like the spring in the Reos?

Zaxxaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would like to try a mechanical as well... using at the moment 3 picos squeeze. I would like to try a Reo but it is quite expensive just to try (especially to receive it here in the uk). Do the Frankenskull (original or clones) have any (if that really works) safety trick like the spring in the Reos?
The Frankenskull and most of the mods like them do not have any safety features in them like a hot spring.If something goes wrong,you can hard short the battery and cause it to vent! So you really should know about battery safety,amp limits,and ohms law and how to build coils before using them.

ituk78

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Frankenskull and most of the mods like them do not have any safety features in them like a hot spring.If something goes wrong,you can hard short the battery and cause it to vent! So you really should know about battery safety,amp limits,and ohms law and how to build coils before using them.

I dont have any problems with safety rules and coil buiding, but I would anyway feel more safe with an hot spring. Thanks for the answer :)

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I really don't recommend the Frankenskull as a first mechanical mod

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just for a "counterpoint".
Yeah, it's cheap...and I do like a little box...but
- I think it's a touch TOO small inside. Battery squeezes up against bottle which squeezes up against the strip that's positive/firing. So it changes the button action.
- Strip has sharp-ish edges that rip battery wrap
- I destroyed the 510 trying to adjust it
- Bottle is useless shit

For people who want a first mech squonker, get a Coppervape.
Then, if you want a first tiny squonker, get a Pico Squeeze.
Then, if you want a tiny plastic squonker, you'll know more about what you like and could get a $12 Frankenfake if you still want one, our could do like me and drop $100+ to get quality (me...I prefer Delrin to 3D printed stuff).

zakumadness

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I was curious and needed more squonk stuff in my life and to make my china order worthwhile so I got two in vape mail today.

Train and juicylucy are right it will shred your battery wraps. It is sooo much smaller than my already tiny Skullkandy venom which is already snug. the squonk bottle looks FANTASTIC in my trash can lol

Oddly enough I didn't order the one with the rda, but it showed up. I keep staring at it because it's new and I want to build it....but I know better lol. At least it looks better than the dripbox rda

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was curious and needed more squonk stuff in my life and to make my china order worthwhile so I got two in vape mail today.

Train and juicylucy are right it will shred your battery wraps. It is sooo much smaller than my already tiny Skullkandy venom which is already snug. the squonk bottle looks FANTASTIC in my trash can lol

Oddly enough I didn't order the one with the rda, but it showed up. I keep staring at it because it's new and I want to build it....but I know better lol. At least it looks better than the dripbox rda

That dripbox atty is a waste of good wire, cotton and juice. I doubt the franken-atty is any better, especially if they are just sending them anyways.

Great review. Thanks

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The atty that comes with the Dripbox 2 is even worse than the one that comes with the Dripbox 160.

the only thing I can say FOR dripbox attys is they are the only one you can get prebuilt coils for.
Not really sure that is a FOR though...

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The atty that comes with the Dripbox 2 is even worse than the one that comes with the Dripbox 160.

the only thing I can say FOR dripbox attys is they are the only one you can get prebuilt coils for.
Not really sure that is a FOR though...
Worse? How?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Worse? How?
The build deck and topcap are different from the 160 atty and not in a good way.

One positive thing about the 160 atty is that you really have to work at it to flood out the air intakes :)
And it does vape. To me it is comparable to the Tsunami 22. As far as vape quality. build quality is no comparison.

and that is with MY build in there. Never used the prebuilt coil heads.

I was disappointed with the Tsunami after all the hype....
and after having custom built a squonk pin for the Tsunami 22mm.

Last edited:

zakumadness

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The 160 drip rda would be fine if the air flow slots weren't as high up and line up a bit better, it would have been cool especially when it first came out and with swapable deck

I like the tsunami as an rda, but not so much a bf. It works but feels awkward to me with the large bottom airholes and setting wicks around it so it can squonk and not send juice on a joy ride down the tube, out the airflow, and all over the mod

zakumadness

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I used the tsunami as a non bf RDA for a while and I was always leaking. I can imagine how it would get using it to squonk.
Especially if you get the 24 with the window...a super soft bottle...a hard squeeze on accident...you get a front row seat! It's like the splash zone at sea world...watch it go up and whoosh!

BrandonRawks

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I didn't like the Tsunami at all - too airy, plus the mess potential was very high

I bought the Tsunami 24 shortly after it came out specifically for squonking. It lasted about 10 minutes and made 2 or three messes during that time. (Mind you, I've been squonking since 2008, so I have a pretty good feel for it by now). I threw it in the drawer to languish for a few months, then took it out and put a different build in. That time it lasted long enough to make another mess, maybe 4 minutes. I gave it away the next day. I found out about a month later that the dude I gave it to passed it on as well after an hour on his mod. Good times. I wonder where it is now!

zakumadness

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Right now I'm using mine to test DIY juice. I use a derringer to test low wattage and tsunami for high wattage. Pull the top off and summon my inner Bob Ross, painting soft happy trees on the wick :)

ituk78

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am using all my pico squeeze with a Speed Revolution atty. i will give a go to the Coppervape BF

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Geek Vape screwed up by not borrowing the ledge on the bottom of the Kennedy and it's tight o-rings

VU Sponsors