Become a Patron!

Found on reddit: efest battery explods while in charger

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...ught_fire_in_my_room/?st=j0vaz7ng&sh=d5c9c04a

I am kind of in shock. My Efest battery launched out of it's charger which was not even plugged in, hit the walls in two places and then landed on my bed where it melted through to the carpet. Luckily I was not in the room but heard the commotion. I assumed my cats knocked something over because they always do, nope...shits on fire, yo. My friend put it out with an expired fire extinguisher that we had.

The battery, charger, walls, bed, carpet...just fucked. I'm doing my best to clean up but I am honestly at a loss. Can I do anything about this, like legal wise? If I were sleeping I would be dead. It hit right where my head goes.

I would x-post to r/legaladvice but to be honest I have no idea how to format that and I can't get my hands to stop shaking.

c3eJx8h.jpg

OB4zhhT.jpg
Y9kkQeF.jpg

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I had to guess I bet the charger shorted somehow. It would take forensics to prove that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also a good reason to never abuse batteries, especially lithium ion. Treat them like they are breakable glass.

XEVU

Equal Opportunity Offender
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now there's a good reason to reassess my own charging habits.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
LoL. It's the reason that I have an expensive charger even for inexpensive batteries. (I also charge generic Amazon AA NiMH batteries on it)
This gets a lot of attention due to the increase in vaping popularity. However, I bet it's not exclusive to 18650 or eFest batteries. Any battery can explode especially when plugged into a wall socket.

I'm not a feather plucker or a feather plucker's son but I'll pluck a feathered pheasant until the feather plucker comes.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
LoL. It's the reason that I have an expensive charger even for inexpensive batteries. (I also charge generic Amazon AA NiMH batteries on it)
This gets a lot of attention due to the increase in vaping popularity. However, I bet it's not exclusive to 18650 or eFest batteries. Any battery can explode especially when plugged into a wall socket.

I'm not a feather plucker or a feather plucker's son but I'll pluck a feathered pheasant until the feather plucker comes.
according to him, it wasn't even plugged in. My best guess was a damaged wrap

XEVU

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya. That shit is dangerous. I watched this YouTube vid about batteries from a guy named Anthony Vapes. It's helpful. You should check it out.
=)

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Ya. That shit is dangerous. I watched this YouTube vid about batteries from a guy named Anthony Vapes. It's helpful. You should check it out.
=)

LMAO :)

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have an XTAR VC4. It didn't make sense to buy a cheap charger, That being said I'm sure there are better chargers out there and in the end any charger can malfunction.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have arced a battery due to wrapping putting it in the charger. The charger did it's job by not pumping power into it.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Battery went off in an unplugged charger, shot across the room, landed on the bed. Burnt all the way through the mattress and box springs and then torched the carpet?

Surprised it did not burn it's way through the floor, then through the basement floor and then down to the center of the earth.

But then again it was an Efest battery probably made from old reactor material from a defunct Chinese nuclear submarine.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What is a good charger? While we are talking about it.

These are some of the best ... Nitecore D4 and I4 and D2 and efest Luc V6 which is also made by Nitecore.....C360_2017-03-29-13-33-58-850.jpgC360_2017-03-29-13-36-57-620.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I assume the luc v4 is the same as the v6? That's the one I have.

XEVU

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use Opus chargers. Personal preference.

kiba

Member For 4 Years
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Battery went off in an unplugged charger, shot across the room, landed on the bed. Burnt all the way through the mattress and box springs and then torched the carpet?

Surprised it did not burn it's way through the floor, then through the basement floor and then down to the center of the earth.

But then again it was an Efest battery probably made from old reactor material from a defunct Chinese nuclear submarine.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I swear by my Opus chargers, excellent build quality and functionality. Plus the 3100's I have a built in fan.

I won't trust anything that malicious company eFest sells nor will I support that criminal company.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
They are all products of Sysmax industries..... Nitecore, efest xtar chargers, all the top chargers should have a label on them. Stamped on the plastic casing.... Manufactured by Sysmax IND.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Xtar has it's own factory.

http://www.xtar.cc/comcontent_detail/i=12&comContentId=12.html

XTAR has experienced R&D department and self-contained factory, so we are also capable of providing OEM/ODM services to clients who have special requirements.

https://s.ytimg.com/yts/swfbin/player-vfl9E6Zvv/watch_as3.swf

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I swear by my Opus chargers, excellent build quality and functionality. Plus the 3100's I have a built in fan.

I won't trust anything that malicious company eFest sells nor will I support that criminal company.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
hey funny thing i thought you'd enjoy
So remember how sig tried saying that DJL test were wrong becuase he needs to use 40 amp efest batteries? and how they sell their own batteries too?
well the manual for the kaos spectrum says to "only use LG sony, or samsung 40 amp batteries"
I know the 40 amp part is still wrong and shitty, but it's funny that now they are saying to only use the good brands

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
hey funny thing i thought you'd enjoy
So remember how sig tried saying that DJL test were wrong becuase he needs to use 40 amp efest batteries? and how they sell their own batteries too?
well the manual for the kaos spectrum says to "only use LG sony, or samsung 40 amp batteries"
I know the 40 amp part is still wrong and shitty, but it's funny that now they are saying to only use the good brands
I find it hilarious, and extremely frightening, that these mod manufacturers know jackshit about batteries.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I find it hilarious, and extremely frightening, that these mod manufacturers know jackshit about batteries.
Right. like they should know better for sure. but they are more concerned with power then safety because power sells

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

There are a lot of vapers (and probably battery users in general) that don't understand the importance of a sound wrap on a battery (and a sound top insulator). They think it's for looks or identification, but that's just a secondary use for the wrap.

Many of my batteries are double wrapped and most of my mods have no problem accommodating a double-wrapped battery. On some of them, the battery door is very slightly raised but with a silicone sleeve on it, you can't ell by looking or feeling.

I'm not saying this was the case in this instance, but it's still a very important issue. when it comes to battery safety.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
One of the biggest, if not the biggest, problems is simply the fact that folks have been using alkaline and dry cell batteries their whole lives, and can't wrap their heads around how different these new fangledy Li batts are. With regular batts, if you buy cheap, you just get shorter runtime and dead batteries if you have a short; not fires, explosions, and trips to the ER.

I feel like mod manufacturers have a duty to get their shit right. Not just to be nannies for the uninformed masses, but to protect their own interests. Hell, I vaped for nearly a year with zero knowledge about the difference in batts. No one at the B&M bothered to mention they were selling me a potential firebomb(efest). And the small-print warning in the mod manual was essentially meaningless to me, at the time. And the FDA bitches for warnings about nicotine on products containing no damn nicotine because they might be used to deliver nicotine. Begging your royal pardon FDA, but wouldn't a warning about a potential explosion I might not be aware of be more useful than a warning about something damn near everyone is already aware of? You wanna protect children? Tell them to use decent batteries!

LOL Now I need a drink. Stoopid FDA over-reaching nanny nonsense. *spits*

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are a lot of vapers (and probably battery users in general) that don't understand the importance of a sound wrap on a battery (and a sound top insulator). They think it's for looks or identification, but that's just a secondary use for the wrap.

I'm not saying this was the case in this instance, but it's still a very important issue. when it comes to battery safety.

I've been mostly on the flashlight enthusiasts forums lately, and I can't tell you how many times some newb has peeled off the wrapper on an 18650 thinking it was a factory protector to keep the metal can shiny. Everyone is like, NOOOoooooooo you %$#%@#4#$ idiot

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I love reddit

I'm the resident mech nutter, but it wasn't me. I might be stupid enough to vape a 0.04 on a tube(don't worry, eScribe, pulsing with a mouse click, making sure it is not a short, or anything unstable). I'm not stupid enough to take more than 10 or so pulls per cell charge.

VU Sponsors