Become a Patron!

Formally disappointed but finally Success!

Realjag

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi All.

I recently had another thread in which I was venting how disappointed I was with my DIY mixing results. You were all so kind to provide feedback and help, I thought I would share my good news - I finally had a resounding success!

I took pieces from what each of you suggested and tried to learn from it and then refined the way I was mixing.

I am sharing the recipe I made up in order to have you comment and make suggestions on where it could be improved. Plus I would like to provide my thoughts on where I think I was missing the boat so it might help others.

My preference is for a fruity vape. Good Life Vapor is my absolute favorite and so my ultimate goal was to mix something that was just as clean and crisp as Jeremy and Good Life would do. As much as I love Twilight Zone I knew that would be a push for me so I tried to duplicate Naked 100's Maui Sun.

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/2061603/Maui+Sun+V2

I don't think it was so much the recipe as it was how I treated the ingredients and the process of mixing. I have refined my process. Now I mix just the flavors and then I'll shake those up together. I add the PG and shake again. Finally add the VG and shake. Then I cap and steep for at least 15 minutes. When all of that is done and I'm ready to vape, I add the Nic.When I first tried in my dripper I thought hmmm. Then I tried in my tank and thought Well! Now I'm on my second 30ML and I think I need to mix up 1000MLs. lol

In my previous mixes, harshness on the exhale was killing me. I wasn't sure if it was my bases or something else so I went out and bought new nic and PG. I have proven that the PG wasn't my issue. And it may also not have been my nic either but I definitely see a problem in the packaging due to sizes. I bought a 250ml bottle of nic and the bottle was almost rectangular. The 100ml bottle I just brought is the standard cylindrical shape. I'm wondering if the cylinder doesn't lend itself to better to shake up the contents more thoroughly then the other bottle.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Thank you all for the help in getting me over the curve.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
15 minutes

From my experience 15 minutes is not long enough for the mixture to infuse. Since you want to mix up large batches do a test and make a bottle to leave aging for at least 3 days and compare it. If you can shake a bottle of e-Liquid and variations in the liquid it is not infused or melded enough. Just my opinion and a suggestion.

Realjag

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
From my experience 15 minutes is not long enough for the mixture to infuse. Since you want to mix up large batches do a test and make a bottle to leave aging for at least 3 days and compare it. If you can shake a bottle of e-Liquid and variations in the liquid it is not infused or melded enough. Just my opinion and a suggestion.

Steve, I would now agree with you but If you would have asked me a few weeks ago if steeping in warm water did anything, I wouldn't have thought so. I plan on mixing up a bunch and then placing in my closet until I'm ready to vape and add nic.

I appreciate your opinion and suggestion.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just mixed up 3 Holiday Flavors and kept them heating for 48 hours almost constantly at 100-105°F before I vaped a couple of them. After the 72 hour mark they have a nice golden color which is getting darker every day. I do have a few DIY mixes that stay clear even weeks later. I totally understand you want to vape your creations but do the experiment and leave one for a week to infuse and I bet you see and taste a difference.

Realjag

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just mixed up 3 Holiday Flavors and kept them heating for 48 hours almost constantly at 100-105°F before I vaped a couple of them. After the 72 hour mark they have a nice golden color which is getting darker every day. I do have a few DIY mixes that stay clear even weeks later. I totally understand you want to vape your creations but do the experiment and leave one for a week to infuse and I bet you see and taste a difference.

Sounds like a nice, barrel aged scotch. lol

I will try your methods and see how it works. Thank you.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I started out I did simple single flavors to perfect them before I started to make more complex flavors. Once I had a simple fruit the way I wanted it I mixed them in a tank to see how they played together. Easy to adjust how much of one to another in a tank. Worked for me and maybe it helps you.

Good Luck and enjoy Mixology!

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Congrats on mixing up some stuff you can vape on. Can't agree anymore with what Steve said, gotta be patient with juice, it sucks but is required more often than not. I don't use the heating method myself, I just put it in a shoe box under the bed or in a cabinet somewhere.

jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
@Realjag

Oddly enough I was just looking for a clone of this one and came across your post on ELR.

I plan on mixing some up later. Will not be exact as my orange is Flavor Art. Not caring for the 70/30 but I know that is what naked has mixed up.

I see you have V2 on this - what was V1, what did you change any why-if you dont mind me asking.

Will share I have had and still have a half bottle of the original. Naked continues to have a line that I still like to buy every now and then.

One a side note Hi and happy mixing and vaping :)

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Congrats. Steep your orange mixes at least two weeks. At the 5 week mark they really start to shine. Then decide where you want your % for large amounts. I've started mixing up just flavor bases. Makes it go a bit faster.

jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
mmmm...never tried this before I normally just steep my mixes once bottled up...

Realjag

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Realjag

Oddly enough I was just looking for a clone of this one and came across your post on ELR.

I plan on mixing some up later. Will not be exact as my orange is Flavor Art. Not caring for the 70/30 but I know that is what naked has mixed up.

I see you have V2 on this - what was V1, what did you change any why-if you dont mind me asking.

Will share I have had and still have a half bottle of the original. Naked continues to have a line that I still like to buy every now and then.

One a side note Hi and happy mixing and vaping :)

Hi Jojo,

I hope you like it. I have so far. 60mls gone!

I do have a V1 but it was made while I testing the nic and PG so it was max VG. I have made it public for you.

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/2061578/Maui+Sun+V1

Honestly, I have 40 recipes. Some I bought and others were bubbly concoctions that I thought no one would probably want to see. Frankly, I didn't want to be picked on for crappy recipes.

Let me know what you think of it.

Take care and thank you so much for the kind words.

Realjag

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Congrats. Steep your orange mixes at least two weeks. At the 5 week mark they really start to shine. Then decide where you want your % for large amounts. I've started mixing up just flavor bases. Makes it go a bit faster.

Hi Letitia,

Thank you for the tip. I was going to try mixing flavor bases also in order to have them steeped and ready for nic. I'm not sure I know what you mean by "% for large amounts"?

Realjag

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
mmmm...never tried this before I normally just steep my mixes once bottled up...
lol. Sorry, I have been trying to catch up after a long day and I answered your first post before I saw this one.

So you like?

Realjag

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Congrats on mixing up some stuff you can vape on. Can't agree anymore with what Steve said, gotta be patient with juice, it sucks but is required more often than not. I don't use the heating method myself, I just put it in a shoe box under the bed or in a cabinet somewhere.

HI Hillybilly,

I'm going to fill up my closet with steeping juices from now on. Who needs clothing anyway?

By the way, I mixed up the flavor base for your Strawberry Milkshake. I would love to say how it came out but well...I'm letting it steep. lol

I put the recipe into ELR. I hope that's ok? I really don't want to step on anyone's toes (or hooves)

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/2068762/Hillbilly+Pig+strawberry+milkshake+V1

jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Frankly, I didn't want to be picked on for crappy recipes...
I can see that on the recipe site some people are too picky and the site reviews can get pretty nasty. Its easy for people to be asses online.... I dont get that vibe here on VU at all. If fact everyone is really nice and the site seems more to push a positive environment and constructive feedback. Its another one of the reasons I joined.

We all have different taste and likes so trashing someones recipe does not really help that person of the DIY community. Its much better to talk about your own take and suggestions so everyone or those with taste like yours could learn from it or the experience you can share.

Besides if someone does not like it they dont have to make it vap it :cheers:

I do plan on mixing some of your MSV2 up tomorrow :) I can tend to like stuff on the sweet side so I might toss some TFA or Cap sweetener in :) Will talk with you tomorrow have a good evening/night.

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
HI Hillybilly,

I'm going to fill up my closet with steeping juices from now on. Who needs clothing anyway?

By the way, I mixed up the flavor base for your Strawberry Milkshake. I would love to say how it came out but well...I'm letting it steep. lol

I put the recipe into ELR. I hope that's ok? I really don't want to step on anyone's toes (or hooves)

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/2068762/Hillbilly+Pig+strawberry+milkshake+V1

Yeah it's cool dude, curious what you think of it when ya vape it. Be sure to let me know when ya try it :D
I personally felt that one was a failure, but not unpleasant, though I'm going for a specific flavor

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Hi Letitia,

Thank you for the tip. I was going to try mixing flavor bases also in order to have them steeped and ready for nic. I'm not sure I know what you mean by "% for large amounts"?
After a longer steep you may want to tweak your flavor percentages a bit. Mixing flavor shots/bases is not steeping. You will still need to steep when you mix with vg/pg.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is there a quicker way to add certain concentrates to my "flavor stash" on elr? Seems tedious. I'd like to just go down a list and check the ones I have.

jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Is there a quicker way to add certain concentrates to my "flavor stash" on elr? Seems tedious. I'd like to just go down a list and check the ones I have.
I wish ELR had a easier way. Its one of the things about All the Flavors I liked, I spent hours and days on this site before I even noticed you had to pay for more than two recipes. I felt like I had been extorted... and its not a dig I really like that site I just dont want to pay for it. :(

giphy.gif

I have been toying with excel and access I really want to make some type of DIY app focused around a flavor book / profile and not recipes but I am a long way from this...

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I just use the add a flavor line. It is below the search for a flavor.

jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I hope you like it...
@Realjag Kudos to you my friend.

I just mixed up 30mls of this. Not going to say its "exactly" Maui Sun, but you know what its pretty damn spot on. To me it seems like the pineapple could be a little stronger, but I know this will change with some steeping and this is just my taste on a shake and vape of this. Already gone through almost 10mls. I am digging it, digging it a lot.

I was worrried it would lack that touch of sweet that naked has, but the ratio that you did the flavors are not overpowering the natural sweet of the VG-it needs no sweetener at all.

Going to let the rest of this steep for a while. :ejuice:

Damn good my friend. :)

20171216_153357.jpg

Hats off buddy keep it up ;)
giphy_1.gif

Realjag

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Realjag Kudos to you my friend.

I just mixed up 30mls of this. Not going to say its "exactly" Maui Sun, but you know what its pretty damn spot on. To me it seems like the pineapple could be a little stronger, but I know this will change with some steeping and this is just my taste on a shake and vape of this. Already gone through almost 10mls. I am digging it, digging it a lot.

I was worrried it would lack that touch of sweet that naked has, but the ratio that you did the flavors are not overpowering the natural sweet of the VG-it needs no sweetener at all.

Going to let the rest of this steep for a while. :ejuice:

Damn good my friend. :)

Hats off buddy keep it up ;)

Thank you soooooo much Jojo! I really appreciate it. I got a bit of chill down my spine after seeing my nickname on your bottle.

You're right. It's not spot on but I was happy with the outcome. Plus I still can't seem to get my hands on any around here. I think it's been selling out fast.

One question, do you think I should call it something different? Since this is Naked's name and all. Maybe Maui Sun Clone?

When I mixed up my first try, the pineapple just overwhelmed. I was using FA pineapple which in my opinion is icky. But once I got TPA's Pineapple it made all the difference.

I mixed up 130mls for myself last night. I have a trip coming up so I need to have then steeped and ready to go.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My mixing process is similar to yours. Here's the steps I take-
  1. I add all the flavorings to my container.
  2. Splash it around a minute. (not really shaking)
  3. Add the PG and nicotine. (I should be done measuring at this point because all that's left is the VG.)
  4. Splash it around a minute.
  5. Add approx half amount of VG by just eyeing my bottle.
  6. Now I shake.
  7. Bring the VG up even more.
  8. Shake.
  9. Top it off.
  10. Shake.
It seems like alot of steps but its my process. It dont take long. I mix by weight and bottle size. I used to mark bottles to a certain level with a marker. Thats to allow room for shaking. The process above I came up with to get away from marking levels. It seems to work fine.

jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
should call it something different
I see this like cooking or other items.
You could make a cake like cheesecake factory, you could build a motorcycle like a halrey. To my knowledge this is for your own use and not illegal. But I would not make those items for profit in anyway.
So if you dont plan on trying to sell the juice under that name--I would not think its any issue, but Im no attorney.
If its a clone / copy cat etc.. call it what you prefer, you may end up mixing something you like better than Maui Sun. I have seen recipes that people named something funny like: "Not Naked Maui Sun" or "Better than Maui Sun".

Last edited:
Sounds good love Maui naked sun juice so going to try this one.

Only have capella juicy orange and cap sweet tangerine. Any one any idea how much to use for 3 and 4% FA orange and mandarin?

Was thinking of just doubling the %s.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Sounds good love Maui naked sun juice so going to try this one.

Only have capella juicy orange and cap sweet tangerine. Any one any idea how much to use for 3 and 4% FA orange and mandarin?

Was thinking of just doubling the %s.
I just compare recommended mixing percentage and adjust accordingly.

Realjag

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi Newjuice,

I don't have a lot of experience with Capella as I typically focus on FA but I will say I did try FA Royal Orange juice and it just didn't taste right. I don't know if that will be the same with the cap juicy orange but give it a try and let us know.

As for percentage adjustment, I've read that Capella is typically a little weaker than FA so I would try maybe adjusting to 5 and 6% of each and go from there. But I would keep the 1% diff between the two. I think that is what makes the flavors work so well together.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
FA royal orange is good but gets much stronger as it steeps. I like it because it has the whole orange taste. It pairs well with FW natural orange.

As for percentage adjustment, I've read that Capella is typically a little weaker than FA so I would try maybe adjusting to 5 and 6% of each and go from there. But I would keep the 1% diff between the two. I think that is what makes the flavors work so well together.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that Realjag, I'll give it a go and let you know how it turns out.

Bundy71

Member For 2 Years
Maui Sun is probably my favorite juice. There have been some crazy deals on it lately so I grab it when I can (~$12 for 60ml). I am just getting into DIY and that was one of my first target recipes (along with TNT by Timebomb and Space Jam Astro). I really haven't gotten Maui Sun completely dialed in to my liking, but here is the next iteration of my recipe (the main ingredients were from another clone from ELR, and I adjusted from there):

upload_2018-1-22_10-40-43.png

The one thing I think is missing is maybe a small amount of orange cream. I get a little bit of creaminess from the original but I think the Oba Oba may take care of that (it's a vanilla/citrus/cream soda-like flavor).

I haven't tried it with the added Super Sweet yet and may try it without first.

Just thought I'd share and see what you guys think.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Maui Sun is probably my favorite juice. There have been some crazy deals on it lately so I grab it when I can (~$12 for 60ml). I am just getting into DIY and that was one of my first target recipes (along with TNT by Timebomb and Space Jam Astro). I really haven't gotten Maui Sun completely dialed in to my liking, but here is the next iteration of my recipe (the main ingredients were from another clone from ELR, and I adjusted from there):

View attachment 101468

The one thing I think is missing is maybe a small amount of orange cream. I get a little bit of creaminess from the original but I think the Oba Oba may take care of that (it's a vanilla/citrus/cream soda-like flavor).

I haven't tried it with the added Super Sweet yet and may try it without first.

Just thought I'd share and see what you guys think.
You might try 2% TFA vanilla swirl. What are the percentages for your flavors?

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Does the image not show for you or do you mean something else? Sorry if that's a newbie question.
lol Was on my phone when I posted that comment and your % weren't showing. I see them now. FA royal orange has a slight creamy note, that may be one of the oranges in the Maui Sun. Maybe add 1 or 2% of that in one tester and put it up for long steep. Most oranges bloom for me around the 6 week mark, 8 weeks is best.

Bundy71

Member For 2 Years
lol Was on my phone when I posted that comment and your % weren't showing. I see them now. FA royal orange has a slight creamy note, that may be one of the oranges in the Maui Sun. Maybe add 1 or 2% of that in one tester and put it up for long steep. Most oranges bloom for me around the 6 week mark, 8 weeks is best.
6-8 weeks? Yikes! I don't think I'm that patient! Have you ever tried crockpot steeping?

Thanks for the Royal Orange tip. Definitely going to try that out. Orange, strawberry and pineapple are my favorite flavors.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
lol Was on my phone when I posted that comment and your % weren't showing.
I can't see the percentages on mobile either. Most pictures are partial when I'm on my phone. If I want to see the whole thing (on chrome) I click and hold on the photo. Then select open in new tab.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I can't see the percentages on mobile either. Most pictures are partial when I'm on my phone. If I want to see the whole thing (on chrome) I click and hold on the photo. Then select open in new tab.
Thank you. Have a hell of a time with pm's on mobile as well and have to switch to the computer. Great tip.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
6-8 weeks? Yikes! I don't think I'm that patient! Have you ever tried crockpot steeping?

Thanks for the Royal Orange tip. Definitely going to try that out. Orange, strawberry and pineapple are my favorite flavors.
I don't fool with steeping methods. I'll make my orange blends in two batches; one with higher percentages for faster use and another at lower percentages for long steeps. The longer steeped juices are much better.

Bundy71

Member For 2 Years
Just wanted to follow up on the recipe I posted. I ended up making it without the Super Sweet (I zeroed out the % on ELR before mixing), steeped in the crockpot for one hour @140º, and have to say I'm REALLY happy with it.

The Oba Oba did exactly what I hoped in adding that little twinge of creaminess. Great balance between sweetness and citrus tang.

Definitely going to try @Realjag's recipe when I get the flavors.

@Realjag: Not trying to steal the thread with a different recipe, just trying to contribute.

Just wanted to follow up on the recipe I posted. I ended up making it without the Super Sweet (I zeroed out the % on ELR before mixing), steeped in the crockpot for one hour @140º, and have to say I'm REALLY happy with it.

The Oba Oba did exactly what I hoped in adding that little twinge of creaminess. Great balance between sweetness and citrus tang.

Definitely going to try @Realjag's recipe when I get the flavors.

@Realjag: Not trying to steal the thread with a different recipe, just trying to contribute.

hey! Im going to try your clone recipe. any updates? took out the oba oba right?

VU Sponsors