Become a Patron!

For those struggling to see your work.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So the more I get into intricate builds with smaller wire, the more I realize that my vision is really beginning to suck. Oh well, I always knew it was coming. My eyesight had a good run.

So! I did some very minor searching and just went ahead and bought this headset hoping it would be good, but expecting garbage. I gotta say, it's actually better than I expected. A lot better.

896190eb54dd72d42e48123a7df36983.jpg

These were $10.15 otd shipped here in the states courtesy of eBay (search "jeweler headband loupe" to find it or one like it). They work very well for watching as you spin cores. The main problem was SFC's. I just couldn't see if I was skipping coils when core fusing with wrap. I have full control now, and my work is better for it.

What I really like is the articulation. It seems like everything can be positioned to accommodate your needs.

d2b94bb7ac50165508cdf895efaa618f.jpg

They come with 5 lenses that actually seem to be decent quality. Supposedly they are surface hardened, although I'm pretty careful with them.

3bd26312e2d18407531f5eff66d33179.jpg

2add4da25a3bb4182a9e772add38eb9e.jpg

They come with the option of using regular sunglasses style arms, or those can be removed to accept the included strap.

abba886ca2c3a57ec5570a942bc0effa.jpg

24c1a015dfead680ada2ca84267c9027.jpg

They have an LED that helps a lot. I feel like I can't get too much light. They require 3XAAA batteries and those are not included.

6018ffecb89f9702395dd8a8e0062357.jpg

They magnify pretty well.

47ed03c6fb2734b18c1e49a3701fb8ee.jpg

Now the bad...

They are pretty heavy at the front with the batteries installed. Not so much so that I'd remove them, but be aware that these may not be comfortable for use over a long session. I typically use them for less than 10 minutes or so, so no problem.

I wish it included just one more lens that brought the work just a hair closer. For the price I'm really happy though.

Last negative... You may *think* you can get away with wearing these while still looking like your regular badass self...

236d4b6c1f7e81141d402372e916bca0.jpg

But, sadly, my gf assures me that you are more likely to look like a seasoned tweeker instead.

531e17daa4770d7e3a341abf3be733b4.jpg

Oh well. You can't have it all. I'll trade my good looks (for 10 minutes or less that is) for better work.

Hope this helps someone. I'd definitely buy another one if mine were stepped on. :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So the more I get into intricate builds with smaller wire, the more I realize that my vision is really beginning to suck. Oh well, I always knew it was coming. My eyesight had a good run.

So! I did some very minor searching and just went ahead and bought this headset hoping it would be good, but expecting garbage. I gotta say, it's actually better than I expected. A lot better.

These were $10.15 otd shipped here in the states courtesy of eBay (search "jeweler headband loupe" to find it or one like it). They work very well for watching as you spin cores. The main problem was SFC's. I just couldn't see if I was skipping coils when core fusing with wrap. I have full control now, and my work is better for it.

What I really like is the articulation. It seems like everything can be positioned to accommodate your needs.

They come with 5 lenses that actually seem to be decent quality. Supposedly they are surface hardened, although I'm pretty careful with them.

They come with the option of using regular sunglasses style arms, or those can be removed to accept the included strap.

They have an LED that helps a lot. I feel like I can't get too much light. They require 3XAAA batteries and those are not included.

Now the bad...

They are pretty heavy at the front with the batteries installed. Not so much so that I'd remove them, but be aware that these may not be comfortable for use over a long session. I typically use them for less than 10 minutes or so, so no problem.

I wish it included just one more lens that brought the work just a hair closer. For the price I'm really happy though.

Last negative... You may *think* you can get away with wearing these while still looking like your regular badass self...

But, sadly, my gf assures me that you are more likely to look like a seasoned tweeker instead.

Oh well. You can't have it all. I'll trade my good looks (for 10 minutes or less that is) for better work.

Hope this helps someone. I'd definitely buy another one if mine were stepped on. :)

:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Best review I have seen in a long time :wave: might try some after seeing this

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was sitting here reading through it thinking “Yeah, they’re nice...but I’ve got these cheap readers I’ve got that work well enough, what I’m struggling with is light..” then I hit the part about LED’s and they shot to the top of the Priority list under “Must Have Immediately”.
I’m constantly struggling with the lighting where I build...regular bulbs were too dim and yellowish, so, I sprung for LED bulbs that helped out some, but still struggled. I’ve tried different manners of lamps and even “slap lights” but then shadows were horrible or it was never in just the right spot. My next step was the headband flashlight thing that we sell at my work, but they’re so damn expensive...thank for sharing this wonderful find, kind sir!

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

Last edited:

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Now the bad...

I laughed... lol... literally...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh for sure Jim. I think the technology just wasn't there to print small.

Yeah, I had one of those OptiVisors when I was making knives. Helped quite a bit to make sure the edge bevels were pristine and mirror polished.

Let me know what you think if you guys get one.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I laughed... lol... literally...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Dude, the best part... and I swear this is true... was that I had no idea the pic would look anything like that. I was taking a pic just to show the thing being worn. Honest to God I was shaken for just a second when I saw the picture. Life is good. :)

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had presbyopia since age 20, in addition to having astigmatism since forever. Ordinary +3-strength reading glasses over my regular glasses are magnification enough for me. Sure I look like a right old idiot with two pairs of glasses on my nose, but then I only need an expensive pair of prescription glasses for everyday life, and cheap-ass supermarket-grade reading glasses for precision things - as opposed to two pairs of expensive prescription glasses. The former are always on my nose, and the latter always seem to end up under my butt on the sofa. So they'd better be cheap :)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Now the bad...

Was wondering what brand you use on your manicure: Sharpie or Marks A Lot?

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Chicks dig it. A Suicide Girl (with a doctorate) gave me the flat black polish.

My current gf, a model with a degree in engineering, likes it.

Both are total sweethearts, down to earth, nothing you might expect. Truly good people.

Not everyone can pull off nail polish though.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not everyone can pull off nail polish though.

No kidding...

I don't do nail polish - just not my style *AT ALL*. But I'm obsessive about fingernail cleanliness: if anything says a lot about you as a person, it's dirty or unkempt fingernails - and I know for a fact that many women use nail polish to hide dirt. Yuk!

Dunno about you, but my experience is that women dig properly manicured hands. At least the women I wouldn't mind dating do...

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn that was hilarious.. especially the photos. Just so happened I had the page stopped at the first photo, when I scrolled down and the second came into view it was like the eyeballs popped out at me just as I read "..more likely to look like a seasoned tweaker instead". hahaha. For the price may have to pick up something like that. Normally my eyes are pretty good but I was definitely struggling using 38ga wrap to see if each pass was laying nice and tight to the previous wrap. Especially while spinning, it kind of turned into a blur.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
So if I bought a pair I would be able too read the manuals that comes with most mods?
I swear they are getting smaller than fine print!

Sent from a Galaxy far far away!

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I bought a small LED magnifying lamp that plugs into the wall and clamps onto my desk. Its great cause even with glasses on the coils are blurry up close and no way I could rebuild without the lamp. I found it in Staples in Canada for bout 40 bucks 4 years ago and its still working fine. I use the lamp for all the small work I do and especially good for reading small print. I see its gone up 8 bucks since I bought my lamp.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just got mine in the mail today...can’t wait to try them out!
a470aed542b636a6ad22eba385ebcb2c.jpg

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Whatever you do, don't order those adjustable strength glasses that are being advertised for 29.95.
The ones with a dial on each side to adjust the strength of each lense, they are complete junk!
They don't work and they are extremely cheaply built.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Whatever you do, don't order those adjustable strength glasses that are being advertised for 29.95.
The ones with a dial on each side to adjust the strength of each lense, they are complete junk!
They don't work and they are extremely cheaply built.

That's too bad.

Extremely cheap I expect (though I think they run about half that amount)... but I'd thought the simple mechanism would've been workable.

Perhaps just an issue of cheap plastic optics?

Meanwhile... I had my old-school headset on half the day yesterday, handling a dozen bottles with tiny print instructions (not vape related).
Only took one attempt with the handheld magnifying glass before I said "screw this" and grabbed the headset. :D

Sure... I'll never look as awesome as the OP and now Screwball... but any hands-free is a godsend. :p

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, after trying them out, they definitely work well with the drawback of working too well for certain personality types. As one that is pretty OCD about such things, I will toss a coil because of an imperfection...but when you magnify to a certain level you can always find an imperfection, so, now I foresee my throw-away pile growing exponentially in the immediate future until I learn to live with small flaws.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's a fair assessment given your proclivity for perfection.

I suggest trying all of the lenses, unless already have. I, of course, grabbed the most powerful lens and then finally tried the lowest power lens and I ended up liking the low power lens, as well as the two that followed it. Just way less distorting since the field of view is so much wider. You don't need to get right on top of the wire with the thinner lens and you can see your work from much further away.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With 1 being the weakest power magnification lens and 5 being the strongest, lens 1 works best for me for just following the wire when doing basic Clapton work, lens 2 works well for me for the re-wrapping of decor around the cores of Alien Coils and lens 3 worked best for me for SFC’s. Lens 4 and 5 are just way too strong and I’d have to be mere inches away from what I was working on to bring it into focus.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got some of these after seeing this post. After using them for a week or so now I have to say they are pretty awesome for being so cheap. I really like that there is no frame blocking your peripherals so you can easily focus in and out of magnification.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good addition to the thread. :)

Number 5 is great for me while I master framed staple staggered fusions. I don't mind being right up on the wire if I can keep from skipping a row. I was surprised at how much I liked the lower mag lenses, but I'm like you, I use them most.

I still can't get over how well designed the articulation is. I would expect it if it was $100 but I'm pleased with having it at a far lower price. :) They *really* need to redesign the nose piece though. It's pretty awful for me and I'm going to modify/pad it somehow.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I still can't get over how well designed the articulation is. I would expect it if it was $100 but I'm pleased with having it at a far lower price.

Absolutely! I would expect they could get away with charging more and only including one magnification lens and then charging an additional $10-$20 for a “Variety Pack” of other lens magnifications and it still be worth it, but as it is, it’s a steal considering I had to pay $15 just for some cheap Walmart reading glasses to use.
I haven’t hit the point where I have to wear contacts or glasses, but with working with 36ga and thinner, the readers helped even though I still had to keep my focus point past the wire and just using the change in thickness as the gauge of where I was on the wire as opposed to actually seeing it wrap itself around the core wire(s) like I can now.

I literally just received a pair identical to those from Amazon yesterday. I haven't had much time to play with them yet but I can tell you the magnification is awesome! So is the bright light on top. They fit really well like a pair of glasses. This review was dead on, man. 100%

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks guys. I was looking at a visor last night at HF. Thought about grabbing one just because they are so cheap (so cheap you're practically LOSING money if you don't buy one!), but I'm certain it'd be a waste of money. It's not that the ones I have now are perfect. Not at all, but if I had to design a set tailored to my exact needs as a coil builder they would be pretty close.

I still haven't done anything with the awful nose piece. Do they not bother you guys? For now I just put a piece of wick cotton between that little wire from hell (the pain sneaks up on me because I'm concentrating on the work, then it fuckin hurts when I take it off) and my poor suffering nosey. You know... Because I just need to add another level of "what the fuck is wrong with that guy?! Call the police again!" to my life.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I still haven't done anything with the awful nose piece. Do they not bother you guys?

I haven’t had a problem with them hurting so much as them slipping down my nose a bit. I have an old travel coil building kit that I no longer use...was thinking of of taking the foam insert (where you fit your tools into such zip-up kits) out and seeing if I can’t cut out and shape a thin piece to affix to the nose piece for a bit of padding for comfort and also to keep them from slipping without having to use the handband attachment that came with it.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, at least you now have another excuse for the real reason your nose is red ...

iu

:giggle:
Hahahaha you have no idea how accurate that is. Except that I don't drink any more and I never had a red nose from the sauce. But yeah, over imbibing for a couple of dozen years. I'll own it, why not.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Well, at least you now have another excuse for the real reason your nose is red ...

iu

:giggle:

Oh my God I have done this before when drunk.
Only difference is I used a sled instead of cardboard and I pissed off my ex girlfriends mom.
She came home from her week vacation at the beach and the first thing she said was:
"How did you two break my closet doors"
They were at the bottom of the stairs:vino:

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years

Now the bad...

I was using something similar when I started out making aliens, but realized that I was too close to the wire and had a hard time getting the tension right. I mainly use them now when stretching my dc but wrapping I guess I've gotten used to what it looks like when I have started things well and then I can hold the wire more consistently further back. However for staggered fused claptons these are a god send.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Someone was asking for gifting ideas for xmas, then I remembered this post. Found them on ebay and needless to say they made my list. After some squinting and trying to see with a flashlight I realized at some point on my last fused claptons the three cores collapsed. Even with the power dimmed, it's hell trying to see anything intricate like 28ga with a streamlight that close up, just too fricken bright glaring off the metal of the wire strands.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Someone was asking for gifting ideas for xmas, then I remembered this post. Found them on ebay and needless to say they made my list. After some squinting and trying to see with a flashlight I realized at some point on my last fused claptons the three cores collapsed. Even with the power dimmed, it's hell trying to see anything intricate like 28ga with a streamlight that close up, just too fricken bright glaring off the metal of the wire strands.
Yeah, you can't really change how bright the led is on the headset, however, you can adjust the light in terms of where it's pointed which accomplishes the same thing.

When I started doing fc's, aliens, etc, I was using 24g cores. I thought sight was the least of my concerns, and it was to some extent, but 3x28g, 40g wrap alien is a bitch for me even with good lighting and a white background.

If this thing fit the criteria of someone's needs I think it would be a fantastic gift. :)

VU Sponsors