Become a Patron!

Food trucks open for business.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
am still working on my enchilada sauce to...
I can never seem to get the PERFECT balance of coco to chili right..

By coco you mean coconut? That sounds intriguing.

I used a combo of ancho chili powder, cumin, oregano, bit of tomato paste and maybe some other stuff I'm not calling to mind in the sauce. Oh, right--mild green chiles (from a can in my case) and paprika, teensy of cayenne, sauteed garlic and onion. yeah, that's everything.

I did a layer of sauce on the bottom of a large pyrex and added individual rolled tortillas, first wiped on the inside with sauce, then filled with shredded chicken filling, which included a milder version of many of the same veg and seasonings already mentioned plus a few black beans, chopped black olives and a little bit of corn, shredded cheese and a few shakes of a mediumish chipotle sauce. I threw more shredded (mild) cheese over the whole thing, then more of the sauce, then a bit more cheese and baked at 350 for about an hour. turned out really crazy good, not beautiful enough to photo-- just looks like a pan of enchiladas, but oh MY. I'm so happy with it.

We had it for breakfast because I spent most of the night last night putting it together. ( i guess was really invested :) ) But, oh, man! We're really happy with how it turned out.

btw, used flour tortillas, which is kind of non-traditional, but what I had--and way easier to roll than corn tortillas.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
By coco you mean coconut? That sounds intriguing.

I used a combo of ancho chili powder, cumin, oregano, bit of tomato paste and maybe some other stuff I'm not calling to mind in the sauce. Oh, right--mild green chiles (from a can in my case) and paprika, teensy of cayenne, sauteed garlic and onion. yeah, that's everything.

I did a layer of sauce on the bottom of a large pyrex and added individual rolled tortillas, first wiped on the inside with sauce, then filled with shredded chicken filling, which included a milder version of many of the same veg and seasonings already mentioned plus a few black beans, chopped black olives and a little bit of corn, shredded cheese and a few shakes of a mediumish chipotle sauce. I threw more shredded (mild) cheese over the whole thing, then more of the sauce, then a bit more cheese and baked at 350 for about an hour. turned out really crazy good, not beautiful enough to photo-- just looks like a pan of enchiladas, but oh MY. I'm so happy with it.

We had it for breakfast because I spent most of the night last night putting it together. ( i guess was really invested :) ) But, oh, man! We're really happy with how it turned out.

btw, used flour tortillas, which is kind of non-traditional, but what I had--and way easier to roll than corn tortillas.
No i mean cocoa
enchaladas.jpg

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
O and a VARY sad thing happen...
my microwave went kaaaaaaput.
and that has the stove fan to outside... ooooooooooooo sooooooooo sad..
so took down da old one.. WEIGHS A TON!
ordered up a new one.. { its gonna take some time to get here}
yet its -5 with 10 mph winds
so any oven will only make the house REALLY roast toasty warm..

so its not all bad.
just sad.

Sorry for your loss. I feel your pain. I use a microwave a lot here and there. I've found craigslist a great place to find used ones, in case you're not in the market for a brand new.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Sorry for your loss. I feel your pain. I use a microwave a lot here and there. I've found craigslist a great place to find used ones, in case you're not in the market for a brand new.
thats nice ...
yet cuz of me stove
I really do need a good one...
want the proper size and a basic stick it up screw er in and pulg it in lets GO.
had a maytag so got another maytag...

ders a feller in town that sells maytag.. we like to support his business
so it may take a bit longer to get here.. its the same price as the big box stores..
he is here if we need him. and also helps support our local community..

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How'd they turn out? I love chicken enchiladas, well, enchiladas in general. Never had any luck making them, though.

My sister-in-law who lives near Corpus Christie makes an enchilada casserole that'll make you wanna slap somebody (if they try to get any, that is). lol Her Tex-Mex is awesome.

Mine was sort of a casserole, like your SIL. But not exactly.... I guess I already explained all about them. Basically, burritos baked in sauce and cheese.

I know you could make a mean pan of chicken enchiladas. It has a bunch of steps, which to me, was intimidating (my first time last night) but it's some variation on the same theme for every component. It was a little time consuming, but not actually challenging in that sense of having to be a super chef to make it great. True story: I was a bit tipsy for some of the prep and it still came out awesome. :sneaka:

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

That's another area I've never explored - Mole. excuse my lack of accent on the "e". I have no idea how to make that happen!)

I've never been inspired to try it, TBH, because the times I've eaten it in restaurants I haven't been very impressed. This could very well be my lack of access to good Latin cooking. Looking forward to hearing about your successes :)

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
That's another area I've never explored - Mole. excuse my lack of accent on the "e". I have no idea how to make that happen!)

I've never been inspired to try it, TBH, because the times I've eaten it in restaurants I haven't been very impressed. This could very well be my lack of access to good Latin cooking. Looking forward to hearing about your successes :)
I got Rick baylesses cook book on everyday mexican cooking...
HE has a mole sauce.. took me all day to make chicken mole...
it was good.. yet RICH as all sin.

Last edited:

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, yes.
I need some cookbooks! I'm sure I've complained about this in past, but I find recipe sites (other than youtube and certain seldom visited blogs) to be so clogged with ads that they reliably crash/freeze my browser. So frustrating.

Congrats on your mole-ay success!!!

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Oh, yes.
I need some cookbooks! I'm sure I've complained about this in past, but I find recipe sites (other than youtube and certain seldom visited blogs) to be so clogged with ads that they reliably crash/freeze my browser. So frustrating.

I buy all my cook books used,,,
FAVORITE go to for what da heck will it take to make is
Mary Margaret McBride Encyclopedia Of Cooking
published: 1959
1536 pages.

that JULIA ofcourse an da cake bible thats a GREAT cook book.
and the Textbook from the CIA { cullinary institute of america } <-- wish i could have gone yet no way cuz to $$$
YET I GOT DER BOOK!
have a couple GREAT chineese cook books.
betty crocker
joy of cooking
better home
mcalls cooking school.
and an Encyclopedia of french cuisene.
those are my basic go to's.
yet ders a LOT more den Just dat to go to lol lol lol

I have said I like recipies I like Reading recipies
I like trying out recipies...
and never with a BOX of dis an a can o dat.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I grew up on the border, and ate mexican food all my life, from 4 American border states and 3 mexican border states, and honestly, I was never impressed by mole either.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Oh, yes.

I'm a comfort-food cook, so I like those cookbooks put together in churches and animal-lover societies and families, and often you can find those in used-book stores. I have one that I've been dragging around since about 1976. It is no longer a book - it is a pile of battered, stained pages, a spine hanging halfway loose from the cover, with about maybe 8 or 10 pages still attached. But by god, I'm keeping all those pages, because that's where my coconut pie and conga bars came from! Have one from the German-Shepherd Lovers of Wake County that's also coming to pieces, but not quite as bad, but yeah, that's where Pepsi Cake came from! I'm attached to 'em!

Still, for getting started, nothing replaces (1) the red Betty Crocker cookbook, and (2) the red & white plaid Better Homes and Gardens that comes in a binder. If you don't have these already, please see eBay! :)

And then of course there's Paula Deen's The Lady and Sons Savannah Cookbook. Pound Cake, shoot yeah. Aunt Glynis's Blonde Brownies. Yum.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I buy all my cook books used,,,
FAVORITE go to for what da heck will it take to make is
Mary Margaret McBride Encyclopedia Of Cooking
published: 1959
1536 pages.

that JULIA ofcourse an da cake bible thats a GREAT cook book.
and the Textbook from the CIA { cullinary institute of america } <-- wish i could have gone yet no way cuz to $$$
YET I GOT DER BOOK!
have a couple GREAT chineese cook books.
betty crocker
joy of cooking
better home
mcalls cooking school.
and an Encyclopedia of french cuisene.
those are my basic go to's.
yet ders a LOT more den Just dat to go to lol lol lol

I have said I like recipies I like Reading recipies
I like trying out recipies...
and never with a BOX of dis an a can o dat.

I love the old Betty Crocker and Better Homes ones, especially the ones from the 60’s - 70’s. They are still using butter and not counting calories, so they’re the straight up recipes. Plus the pictures they have are awesome.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm a comfort-food cook, so I like those cookbooks put together in churches and animal-lover societies and families, and often you can find those in used-book stores. I have one that I've been dragging around since about 1976. It is no longer a book - it is a pile of battered, stained pages, a spine hanging halfway loose from the cover, with about maybe 8 or 10 pages still attached. But by god, I'm keeping all those pages, because that's where my coconut pie and conga bars came from! Have one from the German-Shepherd Lovers of Wake County that's also coming to pieces, but not quite as bad, but yeah, that's where Pepsi Cake came from! I'm attached to 'em!

Still, for getting started, nothing replaces (1) the red Betty Crocker cookbook, and (2) the red & white plaid Better Homes and Gardens that comes in a binder. If you don't have these already, please see eBay! :)

And then of course there's Paula Deen's The Lady and Sons Savannah Cookbook. Pound Cake, shoot yeah. Aunt Glynis's Blonde Brownies. Yum.

I just wrote a post here about mine. Those are my favorite cook books! I lost one in a move years ago, and trying to find the same one way a real project! I finally got one that’s close, though.

My favorite desserts were in it. Chess Pie, Shortbread- and the Banana Bread that is super easy but everyone loves it.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Where are you getting da bunny’s clothes? They’re so cute!
ebay..
look under build a bear cloths..

da has a T shirt, Plaid shirt, Jeans,play cloths {casual dress shirt, pair of cords} <- go to town cloths,
Fishing outfit, and a Tux { special occasion }
o ya and ems CHEF Out fit... < em loves that alot

Last edited:

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
hazelnuts, candied ginger and candied orange..half dipped in chocolate

Candied chocolate covered orange rind is my mom's absolute favorite candy. I love it too, it's hard not to, but I've never tried making it (I've no candy experience and i find it a bit intimidating) but INSIDE biscotti? Lawdy! The candied ginger sounds freaking awesome, too. I wish I was more energized in the holiday spirit... It could still seize me. I'm not giving up hope.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I hear you about the old, stained and battered cookbooks. My Betty Crocker is from the 1950's--or 60's. Was my grandma's. My joy is from the 80's. I have only one or two classic references. Even though I have trouble loading the ad-laden recipe sites, I've found youtube has a lot of great info from indigenous chefs everywhere if I take the time to look. Especially Latin cuisine.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
https://www.simplemost.com/the-story-behind-the-christmas-cactus/
I wanna share with ya what I been up to.
Have a neighbor lady who is one of the Best gardners I have ever met.
she taught me sourkrout.. i taught her cheese..
they interduced me to bees.. I interduced them to DIY homemade wine...
upon leaving from the bottling of the wine.. she said I OWE you for this..
and i said you sure do and I know JUST WHAT I WANT..
I want a cutting off your christmas cactus... and she started COMPLAINING how she could
never make the ^^%$%^$% thing bloom so was about to throw it away...
noooooooooooooo i cried out don't hert em... just give me a cutting
well i got da cutting.....
christmas christmas cactus 2017.jpg
see da baby food jar dats IT!
let it root and transplanted..
christmas cactus da 1st.jpg
let one year pass... LAST christmas told me neighbor GIVE ME YOUR CHRISTMAS CACTUS
and i will make it bloom for you.. she asked how i said you change the lighting
12 hours total dark 12 hours sun... just get a 100 watt flow bulb and a timer...
nope er ran it in and out of the closet and got 1 flower...
mine looked like this..
christmas.jpg
LOTS of buds starting yet learned put in in earlier by a couple weeks....
so this year again I said GIVE ME YOUR CHRISTMAS CACTUS and i will make it bloom.. it came 2 weeks late and was in
desperate need of transplant..and food. I transplanted... and feed..
OUR plants.jpg
hers on the left mine on the right...
today she got THIS letter....

-------------
NO IT AIN'T DEAD YET!
d not dead yet 1.jpg
matter of Fact its thriving and ..
STILL just starting to form buds
d not dead yet 2.jpg
d not dead yet 3.jpg
yet it is NOT advancing as Fast as I want it to..
and am not going to let this poor baby leave until it can be made
all its is meant to be..
YET do not be down hearted ....
FOR I SHALL BRING TO YOU..
d not dead yet 4.jpg
DAT PLANT OF CHRISTMAS FUTURE...

and den when dats done yours should be ready and you can have
A VALENTINES DAY bouquet..

SO we swap plants again..
DON'T argue!
cuz am having a blast with my foolishness...

----------------------
what fun to swipe from da best Gardner I know and make it work out for both of us...

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I hear you about the old, stained and battered cookbooks. My Betty Crocker is from the 1950's--or 60's. Was my grandma's. My joy is from the 80's. I have only one or two classic references. Even though I have trouble loading the ad-laden recipe sites, I've found youtube has a lot of great info from indigenous chefs everywhere if I take the time to look. Especially Latin cuisine.
My mother gave me all her old cook books.
My favorites are the ones from Justin Wilson.
Best damn southern recipes i ever made.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I'll have to look Justin Wilson up. It's a new name to me, but I've never really looked into southern cooking, although most of the times I've eaten it I've loved it.

I had a weird, uneven culinary education. My mom was never really part of it. When I was still a teenager, for several years, I worked at a living history museum, playing an early 17thC English colonist and every day part of my job was to reproduce period recipes in front of museum visitors, on a working open hearth. Each day, I got a recipe (or as they used to call it a "receipt") to make. I learned a lot of basics of old English cooking that way. Boring? Oh, yes, mostly. English food is kind of notorious for being blah. But it was my first leg up in learning to cook.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
what ones do you have???
  • The Justin Wilson Cook Book (1965)[5]
  • Justin Wilson's Cajun Humor (1974)
  • The Justin Wilson #2 Cookbook: Cookin' Cajun (1979)
  • Justin Wilson's Cajun Fables (1982)
  • The Justin Wilson Gourmet and Gourmand Cookbook (1984)
  • More Cajun Humor (1984)
  • Justin Wilson's Outdoor Cooking with Inside Help (1986)
  • Justin Wilson's Homegrown Louisiana Cookin' (1990)
  • Justin Wilson Looking Back: A Cajun Cookbook (1997)
  • Justin Wilson's Easy Cookin': 150 Rib-Tickling Recipes for Good Eating (1998)

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
what ones do you have???
  • The Justin Wilson Cook Book (1965)[5]
  • Justin Wilson's Cajun Humor (1974)
  • The Justin Wilson #2 Cookbook: Cookin' Cajun (1979)
  • Justin Wilson's Cajun Fables (1982)
  • The Justin Wilson Gourmet and Gourmand Cookbook (1984)
  • More Cajun Humor (1984)
  • Justin Wilson's Outdoor Cooking with Inside Help (1986)
  • Justin Wilson's Homegrown Louisiana Cookin' (1990)
  • Justin Wilson Looking Back: A Cajun Cookbook (1997)
  • Justin Wilson's Easy Cookin': 150 Rib-Tickling Recipes for Good Eating (1998)
I couldn't tell you which ones. I know there are 5 or 6 of them in a box in the garage.
She had ton of cookbooks she gave me before she went to a retirement home.
I'll dig them out again someday. She mostly has books on baking.
I remember she used to make wedding cakes back in the day.
Too bad she sold all of her big mixers. Probably worth a small fortune now.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I couldn't tell you which ones. I know there are 5 or 6 of them in a box in the garage.
She had ton of cookbooks she gave me before she went to a retirement home.
I'll dig them out again someday. She mostly has books on baking.
I remember she used to make wedding cakes back in the day.
Too bad she sold all of her big mixers. Probably worth a small fortune now.
ooooooooooooooo yaaaaaaaaaaa
a real HD solid lots of power mixer can set ya back a pretty penny....

I have a kitchen aid da Big one. { wedding gift } so it would be 30 Years old.
yet REALLY wish at times i had a HOBBART
1280_LyIuwy2Z4rsp.png

now DATS a mixer.
yet am dog gone glad i have me kitchen aid or else i could not do 1/2 of what am doing.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownies need to cool a little more before I shrink wrap them~

RMYOSCFzoSH79D6sTl3z1Y_IAsadWLagDf1yWFIwwbputh-SQJo6EQGVK7-K-AmqhXRxgCNUHUVVyso1LBcIIzs1rERjYu3k6a5EoBO1HxZzrDauBx1nEhoB7dM3S8rMpwi3stKk3gceiqVAkpKnksWr-ZUiBkBkGaEwSCgbxHqD-_8b_FP7PC10G9zpQ4HBV1E6fxWc3uJw09DaBnrjqab3faZNhqO5LbX-5Qx1zUi7l8d_Q7K9NLdb9mpHt4vlipPCPY2FbMPyo6qa-eVqAICNdfCXYLdBxnoxc5SwpwOGqIbPY05RYTeZV8Y82rAbmy4tp9w5f2XF0o0aMlbnM9xaIgz4Wvpp9Ac56YfplvEsD48TFsv1UcAXbnleJ78pGSQuaOtfeFdkNjp_Hj6vnbfy7_51hk-I7IMq_-ZBjnhWaQGqfy1rfhZuwx2yrAOtws4TBWv6ORg97EOgsPcaG89ExIUpqgpCO8W565KinpDI_omcx_wrhXf2YwIyd3mJnW0THbjrbRENcjuwaSGKk4RDfAx_Yc62B-UBKwWVs5U4Y1qsWNBDHcV2LzJtCpqdaINn6RwyOJRyddpAUTU6WmJiXK_2KdJBYt7guTAsODQuyQ_xN7Fzcs5uDpn2tDwIyGNbZlIfWuL07rUwaPTY3Vayv4bNVpe2rgAQdQIAJ7FKPZSlpy1brxM=w569-h758-no

Howard Hughes

the way of the future....
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since I do all the cooking in our household, tomorrow will be a nice trip to the in-laws if just for the fact that I can relax & eat someone else's culinary fare! I am bringing my creamed corn however, as several have requested it. I don't mind because I love it too, though. I found it online in 2014 & have been making it a lot ever since. It's rich, sweet, creamy & almost melts in your mouth. Thought I'd pass it along here.

40 oz frozen sweet corn
8 oz cream cheese, cut into 1" cubes
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup butter
2 tbs sugar
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in crock pot & cook on Low for 4 hours.
Stir to combine & make sure all the cream cheese gets melted.

Cream Corn like No Other 5- done - Copy.jpg

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Since I do all the cooking in our household, tomorrow will be a nice trip to the in-laws if just for the fact that I can relax & eat someone else's culinary fare! I am bringing my creamed corn however, as several have requested it. I don't mind because I love it too, though. I found it online in 2014 & have been making it a lot ever since. It's rich, sweet, creamy & almost melts in your mouth. Thought I'd pass it along here.

40 oz frozen sweet corn
8 oz cream cheese, cut into 1" cubes
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup butter
2 tbs sugar
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in crock pot & cook on Low for 4 hours.
Stir to combine & make sure all the cream cheese gets melted.

View attachment 152085
My neighbor Da moocow man's mom use to make cream corn..
she had a garage sale and he was soooooooooo sad cuz he would never have his ma ma's cream corn again.
so i said well lets go to da Garage sale and get dat cream corn cutter den..
and I MAKE YOU cream corn instead..
I got his moms recipe..
cream corn 1..jpg
Cream corn 2..jpg
I say salt on da plate to your taste cuz some folks I feed are on
low salt diets
ITS GOOD.. not like can cream corn at all...
I make a BUNCH and freeze

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
she had a garage sale and he was soooooooooo sad cuz he would never have his ma ma's cream corn again.
I got his moms recipe..
View attachment 152133
View attachment 152134
low salt diets

Hope you’re having a blessed Christmas today, Bunny. Hugs to you and Sparky and the lil bunny. :hohoho::hug::hohoho:

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We also had cream corn that my wife makes. Not as involved as those above but sooo dayum good. There’s never left overs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
We also had cream corn that my wife makes. Not as involved as those above but sooo dayum good. There’s never left overs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope you’re having a lovely Christmas, DB. Enjoy the new pod! How is it? :treetrim::hohoho::hug:

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hope you’re having a lovely Christmas, DB. Enjoy the new pod! How is it? :treetrim::hohoho::hug:
Mom liked her chicken. THe pod is nice. I like the way it vapes. Big issue for me and may be a deal breaker is the plastic is so dark I can't tell how low the juice is. Why the F does every one have to use the dark black plastic? Yes it looks cool but it's so impractical.

Hope you and all of the VU family had a good holiday.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I got his moms recipe..
View attachment 152133
View attachment 152134
low salt diets

It's not good to salt corn, peas, or beans until very near the end of cooking time anyway. Simmering in salt will make the skins of those veggies tough.

Creaming corn is pretty simple. Use a thickener made of a couple tablespoons of flour dissolved into a little milk (needs to be of a pourable consistency), lumps removed, and then drizzled and stirred into simmering corn near the end of cooking. Go slow so the corn doesn't over-thicken. Reduce heat and simmer just a few more minutes.

Last edited:

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
@DonBaldy
443b82bf76af149aa4e57f7bc792b003.jpg

what kind of sauce is on da chicken.. and don'y say JUST BBQ sauce..
------------
@nadalama
flour??? wouldent that lean it more to the bake corn side of da corn cooking recipies.
{{ always love learning new tricks dats why i ask}
-----------------
@Rhianne
thank you we had a wonderful christmas.
Quiet..
good food
NO STRESS
my kind of christmas

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
@DonBaldy
443b82bf76af149aa4e57f7bc792b003.jpg

what kind of sauce is on da chicken.. and don'y say JUST BBQ sauce..
------------
@nadalama
flour??? wouldent that lean it more to the bake corn side of da corn cooking recipies.
{{ always love learning new tricks dats why i ask}
-----------------
@Rhianne
thank you we had a wonderful christmas.
Quiet..
good food
NO STRESS
my kind of christmas

The difference with the creamed corn is that you add that small bit of thickening to the liquid that you've already cooked the corn in - don't drain the corn first. It's basically the same technique I'd use to thicken chowder or cream soup, just a little different ratio of flour to milk. Of course the amount of flour and milk you'd use depends on how big a pot of corn you have, and it's easier to start with a little and add more if it isn't quite thick enough. You don't want it too thick, though. I would use say 2 teaspoons of flour and maybe 2-3 tablespoons of milk to thicken about 8 servings (4 to 5 cups) of corn, but that's not a very big pot of corn!

With chowder I might use 1/3 to 1/2 cup of flour to 2 cups of milk or half and half. In that case also, though, I'd add that to the liquid that potatoes, onions, and clams have already simmered in.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
The difference with the creamed corn is that you add that small bit of thickening to the liquid that you've already cooked the corn in - don't drain the corn first. It's basically the same technique I'd use to thicken chowder or cream soup, just a little different ratio of flour to milk. Of course the amount of flour and milk you'd use depends on how big a pot of corn you have, and it's easier to start with a little and add more if it isn't quite thick enough. You don't want it too thick, though. I would use say 2 teaspoons of flour and maybe 2-3 tablespoons of milk to thicken about 8 servings (4 to 5 cups) of corn, but that's not a very big pot of corn!

With chowder I might use 1/3 to 1/2 cup of flour to 2 cups of milk or half and half. In that case also, though, I'd add that to the liquid that potatoes, onions, and clams have already simmered in.
Your right i had not concidered da juice in a can o corn...
never buy veggies per say at da market... artichokes <-- cuz i can not grow them
yet otherwise i pretty much so grow everything in da yard,

so that was a nice hint to those that can't grow for the table.
cuz it could be pretty much like runny soup otherwise.

NICE CALL

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Your right i had not concidered da juice in a can o corn...
never buy veggies per say at da market... artichokes <-- cuz i can not grow them
yet otherwise i pretty much so grow everything in da yard,

so that was a nice hint to those that can't grow for the table.
cuz it could be pretty much like runny soup otherwise.

NICE CALL

Doesn't have to be the juice in a can of corn - can be frozen or fresh corn as well, and if it didn't come in water, you'll put water over it to cook it.

Before you cream corn, the liquid it's cooked in should be just covering the corn in the pot. Any liquid in excess, just pour it off, do the thickening, then add butter and salt before serving.

And before we drive everybody else reading this thread batshit crazy, that's all from me about corn for today. :)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
HA! Hate to burst the bubble but yes just plain old Kraft BBQ sauce. It's what mom likes and since it is for her that's what she gets.

I like the Hickory variety of Kraft BBQ sauce. Hubbs insists scratch is better. Nope, not to me, not on chicken. Kudos to Moms Everywhere!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hey, has anyone here ever eaten Indian Pudding?

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Hey, has anyone here ever eaten Indian Pudding?
what kind of indian?? like and american indian or like and inda indian
american indian yes and its good ders corn meal in it..
yet never had and india indian pudding yet bet with the all da spices they tend to use that would be fabulious....

sorry i missed your post..
have been banging my head against goverment walls trying to get a copy of my SS card..
NOW i have to get hold of GREECE to get another copy of our marriage certificte..
ya we eloped to the island of santorini 27 years ago was wonderful...
so tried to see today if we could get remarried in the states, yet it would be conciedred bigomy cuz married with out divorce
OMG me poor old head is just spinning from it all....

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
what kind of indian?? like and american indian or like and inda indian
american indian yes and its good ders corn meal in it..
yet never had and india indian pudding yet bet with the all da spices they tend to use that would be fabulious....

sorry i missed your post..
have been banging my head against goverment walls trying to get a copy of my SS card..
NOW i have to get hold of the GREECE to get another copy of our marriage certificte..
ya we eloped to the island of santorini 27 years ago was wonderful...
so tried to see today if we could get remarried in the states TODAY yet it would be conciedred bigomy cuz married with out divorce
OMG me poor old head is just spinning from it all....

Good grief, it is always something! What a situation!

Native American is what I meant. I have been reading a very wonderful set of novels based in Colonial America, and references to Indian Pudding keep coming up, so I decided to look for a recipe to see what's in it. When I did find a recipe, my mind just took off, thinking about putting nuts and sweet potatoes and all kinds of yummy things in the pudding. I may make one this weekend.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Good grief, it is always something! What a situation!

Native American is what I meant. I have been reading a very wonderful set of novels based in Colonial America, and references to Indian Pudding keep coming up, so I decided to look for a recipe to see what's in it. When I did find a recipe, my mind just took off, thinking about putting nuts and sweet potatoes and all kinds of yummy things in the pudding. I may make one this weekend.
let me know how it works out for you..
made me smile to read your post cuz I remember being a kid and going to a resvoration and having it ..
IT WAS GOOD thats all i can really remember well that and there was corn meal in it...

VU Sponsors