Become a Patron!

Food flavoring in e-juice - Is this method viable?

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
So I like to save a bit of $$$ well mostly time and shipping cost. I don't always have $75 to $100 for flavors in one shot.
As an alternative, and after contacting McCormicks, they told me you can evaporate the alcohol and water from their flavoring. Since alcohol evaporates at a lower temp than water, and water evaporates at a lower temp than PG... I did an experiment.

Using cheap vanilla extract (mainly vanillin, alcohol, water, pg) I put some in an espresso cup (ceramic) made a holder and suspended it over a tea light (candle) until it stopped creating steam. (ie no more water content) leaving me mostly pg and flavoring (with a much smaller water content if any)

How does this theory stack up as a fall back between orders? *some flavors are pretty strong, like peppermint, so I just use it from the bottle. *again, alcohol,water, pg flavor*

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Bad idea. Food flavorings like McCormick contain all sorts of crap better not vaped - like corn syrup, sugars and food colorings. Some of them are oil based - another thing you don't want to inhale.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Bad idea. Food flavorings like McCormick contain all sorts of crap better not vaped - like corn syrup, sugars and food colorings. Some of them are oil based - another thing you don't want to inhale.
I'm talking about flavor extracts, not pastes etc. Ingredients are alcohol, water, pg flavoring. Period. I checked with McCormicks and Canada has pretty strict labeling laws. And yes, I check the label before I buy. I mean, you have to do some homework in advance.
To be honest, I am not really all that worried about "oils" in the flavoring. Considering flavoring is around 97% alcohol/water/pg. (at least that is what vanilla flavor is)
Food coloring doesn't actually vape very well. They have tried it. Some clown wanting to blow green fog. The pigment doesn't vaporize. To burn the pigment you would also burn the cotton...and we all know how that ends.. *GAK*

Thanks for the input though. I am very careful of solids in my flavoring. I avoid them.
Please also define "all sorts of crap"

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Exactly how much money would you be saving to want to put food coloring in you juice, if there is an unknown about using food colorings in your mixes, why would you even want to. You said you did research on it, yet you must not have gotten all the answers you seek. I would not vape juices with food coloring in them, because WHY???

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
To be perfectly frank, vaping ANY food grade flavors is questionable on every level, regardless of whether they are extracts, contain alcohol or food coloring or artificial colors.

Anything that is derived from an oil is a big no-no (ie; if the label says oil of peppermint or oil of orange for example, don't use it for vaping).

That being said, small amounts of alcohol are perfectly safe for vaping if undesirable for some (due to irritation). No need to evaporate this off unless you want to. If you do decide you must, bear in mind you are losing vast amounts of aroma constituents when you do this which make up the overall flavor profile. I always shake my head in amazement that people do this at all.

I'm in Canada too so I feel your pain when it comes to the cost of flavoring and shipping in this country.

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Exactly how much money would you be saving to want to put food coloring in you juice, if there is an unknown about using food colorings in your mixes, why would you even want to. You said you did research on it, yet you must not have gotten all the answers you seek. I would not vape juices with food coloring in them, because WHY???

If you're in the US you probably have no concept of how expensive flavoring is or the outrageous cost of shipping. You guys are unaware of how good you've got it down there. I've checked the prices on Bull City and other re-sellers - prices are awesome compared to what we pay.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're in the US you probably have no concept of how expensive flavoring is or the outrageous cost of shipping. You guys are unaware of how good you've got it down there. I've checked the prices on Bull City and other re-sellers - prices are awesome compared to what we pay.
Based off OP's post, It did not indicate where they were from. My concept went off US prices

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Most places I've checked are $3.99 canadian for a 10 ml bottle. Then shipping on top of that if you don't have a local retailer where you can pick your order up. Where I live I have a retailer buy he doesn't carry near the amount of flavors that he should. He has no FA. Some capella, I think 2 inw, mostly TPA and FW. I can't even get TPA grape! It's foolish.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
First, ALL the flavors we use for vaping are "food" flavorings. However, even the alcohol based ones we typically use, I'm sure are not 75% alcohol based.
ALL the flavors I use are PG based.

My concern would be HEATING the flavorings. It will screw up the chemistry of the flavoring. You will not only "boil" out the unwanted water/alcohol, you'll boil out the flavor too. Enough that I'm sure it would effect the final flavor.

Perhaps the solution to your problem would be to get more people you know that vape, to buy as a group so you can each order a little, but have a big enough order to make it worth your while.

My typical order amount is 75 dollars, everytime I order. Shipping from them is either free or 15 bucks or so, depending on the exact amount I spend/vendor I use. So if you are getting bent over on shipping, I see your concern. I don't like paying the 15+/- for shipping.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some yes and some no.. depends on how the extract is made and ingredients used. ... and since you really have no way of confirming this..... just stick to vape specific flavoring

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
First, ALL the flavors we use for vaping are "food" flavorings. However, even the alcohol based ones we typically use, I'm sure are not 75% alcohol based.

My concern would be HEATING the flavorings. It will screw up the chemistry of the flavoring. You will not only "boil" out the unwanted water/alcohol, you'll boil out the flavor too. Enough that I'm sure it would effect the final flavor.

Perhaps the solution to your problem would be to get more people you know that vape, to buy as a group so you can each order a little, but have a big enough order to make it worth your while.

My typical order amount is 75 dollars, everytime I order. Shipping from them is either free or 15 bucks or so, depending on the exact amount I spend/vendor I use. So if you are getting bent over on shipping, I see your concern. I don't like paying the 15+/- for shipping.
Of the places I've been able to find up here, most if not all as far as I can recall want 100 or more for free shipping. I agree that spending that much on shipping is not good, but if your order comes to $75 and you need 25 more for free shipping, your better off spending the extra for flavor and getting free shipping instead of paying the 15 and saving the 10. Basically for $10 over the order total you could get 7 more flavors based on the 3.99 price tag we have

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Based off OP's post, It did not indicate where they were from. My concept went off US prices

No slight intended. :) His second post mentioned Canada so I knew right away what he was talking about.

Unless you've spent any time in Canada there's no reason that you would have any knowledge of the difference in the prices we pay for stuff. I wish I could shop from US flavor vendors - prices are awesome but shipping to Canada is high and there is always the chance the flavoring will get seized at the border. I ran a test a couple of months ago - one shipment made it through, one was seized by Canada customs. 50% success rate :( Neither shipment had any nicotine, just flavoring.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No slight intended. :) His second post mentioned Canada so I knew right away what he was talking about.

Unless you've spent any time in Canada there's no reason that you would have any knowledge of the difference in the prices we pay for stuff. I wish I could shop from US flavor vendors - prices are awesome but shipping to Canada is high and there is always the chance the flavoring will get seized at the border. I ran a test a couple of months ago - one shipment made it through, one was seized by Canada customs. 50% success rate :( Neither shipment had any nicotine, just flavoring.
Unless your ordering liquids with nicotine in them there's no reason to be seized. You could have tried to fight it and probably would have won but it is a pain in the ass as well as the fact like you stated, the shipping is crazy. I wanted to order a pile of batteries and a charger or two from one of those battery sites down there and shipping was over $50 if memory serves my correctly.

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unless your ordering liquids with nicotine in them there's no reason to be seized. You could have tried to fight it and probably would have won but it is a pain in the ass as well as the fact like you stated, the shipping is crazy. I wanted to order a pile of batteries and a charger or two from one of those battery sites down there and shipping was over $50 if memory serves my correctly.

Technically, you need a licence to import any food products and that includes flavorings.
However, lots of shipments make it through, others get seized. ;) It's a crap shoot.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh really? I figured if it didn't contain nic then you'd be ok. Learn something new every day

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh really? I figured if it didn't contain nic then you'd be ok. Learn something new every day

CFIA (Canada Food Inspection Agency) requires a licence but like I say - much gets through. I've ordered nicotine from China - every shipment came flying through with nary a sideways look from customs. :confused:

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Of the places I've been able to find up here, most if not all as far as I can recall want 100 or more for free shipping. I agree that spending that much on shipping is not good, but if your order comes to $75 and you need 25 more for free shipping, your better off spending the extra for flavor and getting free shipping instead of paying the 15 and saving the 10. Basically for $10 over the order total you could get 7 more flavors based on the 3.99 price tag we have
When I am trying a new flavor, I buy 30 mils at a time. 120 mil or bigger, when I know I like it. The small vials of flavors are not enough for me, to try something out.
When I mix, I am mixing hundreds of mils at a time. I don't sit down to mix, just a 30 mil or two. My samples of new juices are made when I mix.

I understand most people probably don't mix like me. I don't have loads of time to dedicate to mixing a few times a week.

So when I order, I already have a list of what I need for regular mixing, and sample flavors that I want to try. I moved away from just filling my cart with stuff that "sounds good" in order to keep some semblance of organization to the amount of flavors I have. Besides, sticking to a list saves me money over the year, by not having to throw stuff away I didn't use and not spending money I otherwise would not have.

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I wanted to order a pile of batteries and a charger or two from one of those battery sites down there and shipping was over $50 if memory serves my correctly.

Just a note on batteries - I've recently had 2 battery orders from China refused at the border and sent back. One was for 18650's and the other was for internal battery mods.

Not willing to put up with that anymore so now I order my 18650's from http://www.illumn.com/
Around $15 US to ship to Canada, batteries are good and cheap, no worries with customs seizing them (for now). Even with the shipping, much cheaper than buying batteries from my local vape shop or even Canvape.

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
When I am trying a new flavor, I buy 30 mils at a time. 120 mil or bigger, when I know I like it. The small vials of flavors are not enough for me, to try something out.
When I mix, I am mixing hundreds of mils at a time. I don't sit down to mix, just a 30 mil or two. My samples of new juices are made when I mix.

I understand most people probably don't mix like me. I don't have loads of time to dedicate to mixing a few times a week.

So when I order, I already have a list of what I need for regular mixing, and sample flavors that I want to try. I moved away from just filling my cart with stuff that "sounds good" in order to keep some semblance of organization to the amount of flavors I have. Besides, sticking to a list saves me money over the year, by not having to throw stuff away I didn't use and not spending money I otherwise would not have.

That style of mixing doesn't work for everyone but that's great that system works for you, uncomplicated is good. I never mix more than 50ml at a time as I bore of flavors easily and I'm constantly switching up my tanks. I have a rotation of about 50 recipes right now and still on the look out for more to add to the rotation.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just a note on batteries - I've recently had 2 battery orders from China refused at the border and sent back. One was for 18650's and the other was for internal battery mods.

Not willing to put up with that anymore so now I order my 18650's from http://www.illumn.com/
Around $15 US to ship to Canada, batteries are good and cheap, no worries with customs seizing them (for now). Even with the shipping, much cheaper than buying batteries from my local vape shop or even Canvape.
Around here, where I am a set of 25r's are $25. There was a sale on last week for a set for $15. Not too bad but if I needed a couple sets it would be good to order from them. Thanks

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That style of mixing doesn't work for everyone but that's great that system works for you, uncomplicated is good. I never mix more than 50ml at a time as I bore of flavors easily and I'm constantly switching up my tanks. I have a rotation of about 50 recipes right now and still on the look out for more to add to the rotation.
I never said that my style of mixing was for everyone.

I burn through 30+ mils a day. If I mixed 50 mils at a time I would be mixing every day. Ain't got time for dat.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm still new to this while DIY thing. Still trying to find recipes I like, so I have to order the flavors to try those recipes. I have found a couple that are OK but nothing amazing. I order 10ml bottles of said flavors to try the recipe. I usually try recipes that have similar flavors, then I buy those flavors in 10ml bottles to mix 15ml samples from. I usually try 5 or 6 new recipes a month. Then that gives me a few new flavors to add to my stash then of all the flavors I have tend to lead to an additional 2 or 3 recipes on top of the orginal 5 or 6.

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I never said that my style of mixing was for everyone.

I burn through 30+ mils a day. If I mixed 50 mils at a time I would be mixing every day. Ain't got time for dat.

No worries, I noticed you said that. :)

30ml a day!!! lol... I used to burn through 20 to 25 myself but I've changed from high wattage/low ohms to a more tootle puffing style of vaping. I find it just as satisfying and I burn through way less juice. Now down to about 8 to 10 ml per day, 0.8 ohms anywhere from 15W to 18W on some tanks, 0.6ohms at about 20W to 23W on some others.

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm still new to this while DIY thing. Still trying to find recipes I like, so I have to order the flavors to try those recipes. I have found a couple that are OK but nothing amazing. I order 10ml bottles of said flavors to try the recipe. I usually try recipes that have similar flavors, then I buy those flavors in 10ml bottles to mix 15ml samples from. I usually try 5 or 6 new recipes a month. Then that gives me a few new flavors to add to my stash then of all the flavors I have tend to lead to an additional 2 or 3 recipes on top of the orginal 5 or 6.

This might be a helpful suggestion (or it might not):

When I want to try a sample of something without committing to a 30ml bottle of flavour I buy 3ml samples from FlavourFog.com. You can make up a couple of 10ml sample recipes without breaking the bank to see if you like the recipe or not. Ten 3ml flavour samples are just $3 to ship anywhere in Canada and you can use code ELRECIPES for 10% off.

I do this a lot if I want to try something out so I don't end up with a 30ml bottle of something I'll never use. I have several of those hanging around here and I'll be damned if I'll let it happen again. Costs too much to end up tossing a full bottle of flavouring here in Canada. Most have ended up in my kitchen and I use them for baking and drink recipes (and not much at that).

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This might be a helpful suggestion (or it might not):

When I want to try a sample of something without committing to a 30ml bottle of flavour I buy 3ml samples from FlavourFog.com. You can make up a couple of 10ml sample recipes without breaking the bank to see if you like the recipe or not. Ten 3ml flavour samples are just $3 to ship anywhere in Canada and you can use code ELRECIPES for 10% off.

I do this a lot if I want to try something out so I don't end up with a 30ml bottle of something I'll never use. I have several of those hanging around here and I'll be damned if I'll let it happen again. Costs too much to end up tossing a full bottle of flavouring here in Canada. Most have ended up in my kitchen and I use them for baking and drink recipes (and not much at that).
I didn't know about that! That's going to be amazing! Thanks! I just got really excited...lol

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No worries, I noticed you said that. :)

30ml a day!!! lol... I used to burn through 20 to 25 myself but I've changed from high wattage/low ohms to a more tootle puffing style of vaping. I find it just as satisfying and I burn through way less juice. Now down to about 8 to 10 ml per day, 0.8 ohms anywhere from 15W to 18W on some tanks, 0.6ohms at about 20W to 23W on some others.
I'm usually at .5 ohms at 50 watts. I like flavor and cloud.

At about a buck a day for my juice, I really don't care how much I vape. If I was paying 7+ dollars a pack, or buying my juice in town for 20+ dollars a 30 mil, I would still be rolling my own smokes.
When I rolled my own smokes, when I quit smoking three years ago, I was spending 20-25 bucks a week to smoke. But a also knew smoking was going to kill me.

I got into DIY because I ended up in juice guzzling RDA's and tanks. I got pretty pissed about how much it was costing me to vape everyday. It was more expensive than smoking, even though the sales pitch is always "it's cheaper".

Besides, I have not made anything yet, that could not be vaped. The same can't be said about juice I have bought from various vendors that make shit juice.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm the same way, I make small batches of new ones and even if they aren't great they are vapeable. I've only had one or two that I refused to finish

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Around here, where I am a set of 25r's are $25. There was a sale on last week for a set for $15. Not too bad but if I needed a couple sets it would be good to order from them. Thanks

That's pretty expensive for 25R's. From Illumn.com, even with shipping and the exchange factored in you'll only pay $10 CDN (no tax) per battery (if you order say 6 or 8 of 'em to make it worth the shipping cost). Last time I ordered (about 6 weeks ago), I bought 8 HG2's and it worked out to just under $10 per battery. Pretty good considering my local vape shop charges $13.99 per battery plus tax. Not as good as buying from eFun.top in China but I think China is out of the question now.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's pretty expensive for 25R's. From Illumn.com, even with shipping and the exchange factored in you'll only pay $10 CDN (no tax) per battery (if you order say 6 or 8 of 'em to make it worth the shipping cost). Last time I ordered (about 6 weeks ago), I bought 8 HG2's and it worked out to just under $10 per battery. Pretty good considering my local vape shop charges $13.99 per battery plus tax. Not as good as buying from eFun.top in China but I think China is out of the question now.
Also, from china you run the high risk of fakes. From ilum you know they're real.

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

At about a buck a day for my juice, I really don't care how much I vape. If I was paying 7+ dollars a pack, or buying my juice in town for 20+ dollars a 30 mil, I would still be rolling my own smokes.
When I rolled my own smokes, when I quit smoking three years ago, I was spending 20-25 bucks a week to smoke. But a also knew smoking was going to kill me.

I got into DIY because I ended up in juice guzzling RDA's and tanks. I got pretty pissed about how much it was costing me to vape everyday. It was more expensive than smoking, even though the sales pitch is always "it's cheaper".

Besides, I have not made anything yet, that could not be vaped. The same can't be said about juice I have bought from various vendors that make shit juice.

Different strokes for different folks! That's one of the great things about vaping - one size does not fit all and there's a happy place for everyone.

I've yet to make anything I couldn't vape either but I do have my fav's that I go back to over and over. That's why I make new recipes up at only 10ml - that way if it doesn't become a fav I don't mind finishing it or even mixing it with something else to see what I can come up with. I love DIY too - commercial juice is soooooo expensive and so not worth it. Even the clones of my favourite commercial juices are better than the originals, IMHO. I think most people find that as well.

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Also, from china you run the high risk of fakes. From ilum you know they're real.

Yup, gotta buy from trusted sources. eFun.top sells the real thing but what a pain waiting and waiting only to have your batteries rejected at the border. I won't try again, not worth the hassle and the waiting and the not knowing.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

basically, just wanting to get opinions on if the process was sound. Evaporating the alcohol and water out to make a concentrate. The flavors i use have no coloring. (vanilla has some, but i don't actually use that, i have vanillin) I think you missed the part where food coloring does NOT vaporize, only the carrier liquid. Try it.. put red food coloring on a bare coil.. what color is the fog? (hint..it isn't red)

The money I would save, is $12.00 shipping on a $3.00 bottle of flavoring. I have no idea where people are getting the idea that "alcohol, water, pg, flavoring" has "coloring" magically hidden in the mix. If we want colored food, we buy coloring and add it. That's why they sell it in a box of red, yellow, and blue.

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
If you use heat you will lose some of the aromas that make up the flavor. You may end up with something that is not much good to vape.

For pure vanillin I would simply dilute with PG - 10% vanillin to 90% warm PG. Shake well and allow for the vanillin to disolve - maybe about 48 hours then go ahead and use it in your mix. You could go higher - maybe 15% or 20% vanillin. I would start low and work your way up. If you find the ethanol irritating in your vape you can leave it upcapped for 12 hours but again, you will lose some of the compounds that comprise the flavour.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

usually, its 35% to 45% alcohol. Alcohol has been used for centuries to extract flavors, even in perfumes. Mind you, i don't plan on vaping Channel #5. lol

Yeah, the shipping is when I run out of flavors and just want something to do until next order. I like caramel and peppermint. Vanilla, not so much, but i did use some in the test I did. (mainly because i didnt care if i had to dump it out... lol)

By the way, my flavor never boiled. Just steamed. I could have done the same thing using air evaporation, but a small amount of heat sped things up a bit. To be honest, the resultant concentrate isn't bad, if you like vanilla. I think i prefer it over the vanillin I have.

I am kind of curious... where did the first vape flavors come from? Pretty sure FA didn't start up just to sell to a handful of vapers.. I am kind of suspicious... do they actually make their own concentrates or... buy from McCormicks or another established company.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
If you use heat you will lose some of the aromas that make up the flavor. You may end up with something that is not much good to vape.

For pure vanillin I would simply dilute with PG - 10% vanillin to 90% warm PG. Shake well and allow for the vanillin to disolve - maybe about 48 hours then go ahead and use it in your mix. You could go higher - maybe 15% or 20% vanillin. I would start low and work your way up. If you find the ethanol irritating in your vape you can leave it upcapped for 12 hours but again, you will lose some of the compounds that comprise the flavour.
exactly what I did. Except I used VG. I just don't like the idea of vaping alcohol, even if i do lose some of the flavor. I mean, it isn't enough to worry over, but still, i avoid it if i can.

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
usually, its 35% to 45% alcohol. Alcohol has been used for centuries to extract flavors, even in perfumes. Mind you, i don't plan on vaping Channel #5. lol

Yeah, the shipping is when I run out of flavors and just want something to do until next order. I like caramel and peppermint. Vanilla, not so much, but i did use some in the test I did. (mainly because i didnt care if i had to dump it out... lol)

By the way, my flavor never boiled. Just steamed. I could have done the same thing using air evaporation, but a small amount of heat sped things up a bit. To be honest, the resultant concentrate isn't bad, if you like vanilla. I think i prefer it over the vanillin I have.

I am kind of curious... where did the first vape flavors come from? Pretty sure FA didn't start up just to sell to a handful of vapers.. I am kind of suspicious... do they actually make their own concentrates or... buy from McCormicks or another established company.

Oh! If you want to order a 30ml bottle of flavour with minimal shipping use FlavourFog. They will ship ONE 30ml bottle for $3 to anywhere in Canada. They send it in three 10ml flat bottles. DON'T FORGET to use ELRECIPES for 10% off. ;)

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

All these companies (and others) produce food grade flavouring for human consumption. Way back when DIY started, most people used LorAnn's. Now LorAnn's has fallen out of favour but still make some great stuff for vaping. Cream Cheese Icing and Banana Cream (Colourless) are both excellent and both in my flavour stash.

TPA sold essential oils then started a flavouring line specifically to cash in on the vaping craze. Same with Capella - established in the 90's as a food company but now concentrating on vapable flavouring.

There are literally hundreds of food grade flavouring companies world wide. Expect to see more and more in the coming years.

Wonder Flavours out of Montreal is a new company making vape flavours. Purilum is new (in the US) and is brought to us courtesy of BT. lol... most people are completely unaware of that fact.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

I generally BUY my "vaping" juice. I pretty much only make DIY for pure VG content for clouds. Since pure VG is B O R I N G to vape, just a bit of flavor and sometimes some nic (for when i run out of store bought). I may get more into DIY since i found a Canadian source for nicotine and get my PG/VG locally, and found vendors selling concentrated flavors (for vaping) in bottles larger than 10ml. For example, i like strawberry and pastry flavor, so i would need a lot. The "cream" and "strawberry and ???" are just a bit of variety. Like strawberry-kiwi or -banana etc. I do not like peanut butter PERIOD. lol. Well not in vape anyway.

To be quite frank, if i were just into the quitting smoking part, I could just buy 120ml of 100mg nic and add it to the pg/vg I get locally. (USP grade, i get it from the pharmacy) *not walmart..lol*

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Oh! If you want to order a 30ml bottle of flavour with minimal shipping use FlavourFog. They will ship ONE 30ml bottle for $3 to anywhere in Canada. They send it in three 10ml flat bottles. DON'T FORGET to use ELRECIPES for 10% off. ;)
That is worth looking into. thanks. I don't mind the price of the flavoring, just not paying 4x the cost to ship it.

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
That is worth looking into. thanks. I don't mind the price of the flavoring, just not paying 4x the cost to ship it.

Yup, I feel your pain LOL.

I buy my VG from CoopCoco - $55 for a gallon (3.78 litres) shipped. I can't seem to find it anywhere here in Canada for less. No one locally to me sells it for less than $15 for 500 ml.

PG from the UK - 1 kg for $16 shipped (about 900ml).

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
All these companies (and others) produce food grade flavouring for human consumption. Way back when DIY started, most people used LorAnn's. Now LorAnn's has fallen out of favour but still make some great stuff for vaping. Cream Cheese Icing and Banana Cream (Colourless) are both excellent and both in my flavour stash.

TPA sold essential oils then started a flavouring line specifically to cash in on the vaping craze. Same with Capella - established in the 90's as a food company but now concentrating on vapable flavouring.

There are literally hundreds of food grade flavouring companies world wide. Expect to see more and more in the coming years.

Wonder Flavours out of Montreal is a new company making vape flavours. Purilum is new (in the US) and is brought to us courtesy of BT. lol... most people are completely unaware of that fact.

I think i will check out Wonder Flavors too.
Some of the flavors i have seen want to add 20% flavoring.. like wth? Seems like a lot of extra water in there to me.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Yup, I feel your pain LOL.

I buy my VG from CoopCoco - $55 for a gallon (3.78 litres) shipped. I can't seem to find it anywhere here in Canada for less. No one locally to me sells it for less than $15 for 500 ml.

PG from the UK - 1 kg for $16 shipped (about 900ml).
Yeah, the pharmacy at the grocery store i normally use would order it in, in 500ml bottles. 1 vg and 1 pg ran me about $22 can tax incl. (no shipping, they had it sent with their order) I still have that first bottle of PG. lol.

All this about flavors has my twisted mind working... like apple and rhubarb pie with vanilla ice cream as a flavor. Or strawberry twinkie... (OMG that sounds good. lol)
Figure I'll just stick to menthol for my 100%vg flavor, since I don't use much anyway. Just a taste to take the BLAHHHHHHH off. Although... if a guy had a cold... lol

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I think i will check out Wonder Flavors too.
Some of the flavors i have seen want to add 20% flavoring.. like wth? Seems like a lot of extra water in there to me.

I haven't checked out Wonder Flavours yet but there's lots of positive buzz on them using at 5% to 10%. I was going to order from their website until I saw a shipping cost of $17 for 4 bottles. LOL No thanks.

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Oh ya, I forgot I sent you a PM this morning about some other options... did you see that?

f4milytime

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Shipping to Hawaii is crazy too.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't checked out Wonder Flavours yet but there's lots of positive buzz on them using at 5% to 10%. I was going to order from their website until I saw a shipping cost of $17 for 4 bottles. LOL No thanks.

Maybe shipping for Wonder from https://wizardlabs.us/ would be less expensive?

Just an idea. Stranger things have happened.....

Ron
---
"I don't even know what street Canada is on."- Al Capone

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Maybe shipping for Wonder from https://wizardlabs.us/ would be less expensive?

Just an idea. Stranger things have happened.....

Ron
---
"I don't even know what street Canada is on."- Al Capone

I doubt it but it's a nice thought :) Most US vendors want a minimum $15 US to ship to Canada and that translates to about $20 CDN. I checked all the major suppliers a couple of months back (WL, BCV, NicRiver and a few others). And anyway, 50/50 chance it'll get seized at the border and I'll never see it. I think a better option is for me to go over to Buffalo NY and open a US based post office box and get stuff shipped there. I would still have to smuggle it back across the border but that's a much easier task than having it shipped in.

I may just do that, somewhere down the road.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I And anyway, 50/50 chance it'll get seized at the border and I'll never see it.

For some reason I had thought the border problem was only with nicotine and not flavors. Thanks for your edification!

Ron
---
"What the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes."- Harry Houdini

VU Sponsors