Become a Patron!

Food Coloring?

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey everyone,
My package will be here today with my nic., pg, and vg, and other goodies, but I need to know if I can use a good food coloring in my e-juice? I'm gonna be making one I'm calling the Blueberry Slam, & it's gonna be pretty much a clear color, & I was thinking of maybe adding a safe, blue food coloring to it so it could be easily identified. I'll probably make a bottle tonight, and let that steep overnite & try it on Sat.

Got my fingers crossed, hoping for the best...

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would caution you against using food coloring. Dyes are not known to be safe for inhalation. It's just an unnecessary risk. I don't think there is a safe blue dye. just my 2 cents.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey everyone,
My package will be here today with my nic., pg, and vg, and other goodies, but I need to know if I can use a good food coloring in my e-juice? I'm gonna be making one I'm calling the Blueberry Slam, & it's gonna be pretty much a clear color, & I was thinking of maybe adding a safe, blue food coloring to it so it could be easily identified. I'll probably make a bottle tonight, and let that steep overnite & try it on Sat.

Got my fingers crossed, hoping for the best...
Do not do it with conventional dyes you would have to get food grade and even then there are known health risks I never ever have colored my juice I make only color comes from ingredients one of the reasons I refuse to vape these vendors juice that color it green purple pink and foreskin color haha

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I wouldnt do it for and adv but I dont think a toothpick swirl every great once in awhile would be to bad if its the right kind . I wanted to do a green one for st pattys and red for christmas. .... never did it. would have been cool . maybe this year. but officially on the books Id have to say its probably not the best thing to vape.

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just my opinion... I avoid e-juice with coloring. I kind of figure, if it will stain a toothpick, a towel, etc. then what's it doing to my lungs?

Hey everyone,

Got my fingers crossed, hoping for the best...[/QUOTE]

*Hi, I am interested in doing the same. Before I do I'd like to know your experience; did it work adding coloring? How did it feel?

Appreciate your feedback. Vape for life! :)
Tanj

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Food coloring is just that - no flavor, no texture! So it won't 'feel' any different!

But as others have said, it's possibly an unnecessary risk.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Labels are much safer for identification than food coloring IMO:D

And they don't help to improve the flavor...

Dj Xy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
MBV Gwar Fluids Jizmoglobin has been my ADV since it came out at Vapefest, and it has food coloring
I don't see where the tiny amount that it takes to color the liquid can hurt, its still safer than the millions of dangerous chemicals in cigs.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
MBV Gwar Fluids Jizmoglobin

"Jizmoglobin" LOL!
I'd be tempted to color-code that one just because I couldn't tell from the name what it's supposed to taste like. (I color code with different color tanks...always forget if yellow is vanilla, ginger, lemon...)

you guys crack me up .... 1st off you say don't do food coloring because it was not meant to be inhaled .......well, neither are those other ingredients you are using ..... 1 or 2 drops of coloring in say 30 mil is gonna amount to about nothing and just give it color .... food grade color, like Food grade PG/VG and food grade flavorings.

I have used it for years and no problems, I mix to the color I want with str8 VG and then add that to a finished juice to color it ....

None of it can be any worse than an actual Cig

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Only ingredient we use that wasn't meant to be inhaled is the flavoring extract, and it's why we use caution when buying it to avoid extracts with known bad chemicals. Nicotine has been inhaled for decades, pg/vg has been inhaled as well via prescribed medicines.

We try to avoid using extracts that we know have bad chemicals in them.
So why not use the same caution with food coloring? While it is possible to get natural food coloring, artifical food coloring is far more common and is petroleum based with a cocktail of other chemicals.

We know nicotine can be deadly in high concentrations. Food coloring can be as well.
Certain colors contain known carcinogens and have been linked to cancer.
Certain colors can cause allergic reactions.
Certain colors are considered hazmat materials when being transported on the roadways.

This all depends on the specific color and the chemicals that make it.
A person can be allergic to Blue #1, but be fine with Blue #2

I am not saying *don't* color your liquid.
But please use caution and research the stuff you want to use first to avoid any negative impact, especially if your planning on giving it to other people or selling it. It would *really* suck to hear that you gave a friend some blueberry liquid colored with Blue #1 and he died from a severe allergic reaction after vaping it.

Zanaspus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
you guys crack me up .... 1st off you say don't do food coloring because it was not meant to be inhaled .......well, neither are those other ingredients you are using ..... 1 or 2 drops of coloring in say 30 mil is gonna amount to about nothing and just give it color .... food grade color, like Food grade PG/VG and food grade flavorings.

I have used it for years and no problems, I mix to the color I want with str8 VG and then add that to a finished juice to color it ....

None of it can be any worse than an actual Cig

You don't know that to be the case. You trust that it is the case. As far as vaping, we're just human lab rats for most ingredients, why add one more that isn't necessary?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why do you need and want food coloring in the first place?
If my flavors have some color that's fine, if not that's even better.
If you insist you can add vanilla extract or caramel coloring.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I heavily caution against using food coloring. Many of them contain Propylparaben which is a known Endocrine disruptor. When an ingredient can be harmful in its non inhalation form, I wouldn't take the chance.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's already used in about half the food and drink you use, so a bit more in your system won't hurt you much.
Being in my intestinal system is a bit different than my lungs. Frankly, we don't know enough to judge whether a little is detrimental or not.

Ice cream isn't good for me, but it's delicious. I don't always do what's best, but I'm not willing to try something than gives me no benefit.

People can argue that it's better than smoking, and I agree. It is better than smoking, but I'm not a smoker anymore.

Whatever someone decides, it's important to see some data behind why it might be something to avoid, especially when it's not something necessary.

Zanaspus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's already used in about half the food and drink you use, so a bit more in your system won't hurt you much.

If your cholesterol's under control, eating butter won't hurt you. Vaping diacetyl on the other hand...

Callipleura

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The PG and/or VG is needed.
The nic is probably needed for most.
The flavourings makes things nice and seems to help lots of people say off analogs - but is the biggest unknown.

#1 - I vape because I want to quit analogs.
#2 - I want to DIY so I can control the first four ingredients as much as possible.

I always wondered how long it would take eliquid companies to start wanting to add food colouring so the colour of their liquid looks "pretty" in your tank or how much glow in the dark compound they could add (so it's still not as bad as a cigarette) to make your liquid glow in a club at night. Analgesics, toluene (so it's still not as bad as a cigarette) etc would also make their products "better" then the competitions when they need the leg up down the road as well.

I would only tell you to stick to the first four ingredients and check the brand of flavouring you use from the many that are available. I would hope that would be enough to keep you off analogs. Not trying to tell you what to do personally... but to anyone... I would hope little red flags are going off in their head if more is needed for any reason. If that makes me unpopular or anyone took it the wrong way.... alright... my bias is I am more interested in #1 and #2.
Cheers

PS - Hope you're mix turned out well. And as already mentioned by others Food Grade does not equal inhalation safe.

Last edited:

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The thing is the a lot of flavors even from the good companies contain coloring so most of my DIY eliquid is yellow/ember/brown.
I wish they were all colorless.

Callipleura

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
^^^ Ya, I don't about that for all the "good companies". I plan to only to stick with FlavourArt for the flavouring variable. My understanding is that company does not add colouring. But, if I am wrong about that - then hopefully someone much wiser then me will speak up.

I personally don't like sweets, in that if I am hungry sweets make my stomach feel weird. On a full stomach sweets are fine. Another reason to stick to FlavourArt, as my understanding is, they do not shoot for an over-sweetened taste in their fruits and berries. Also, it seems less product is required from FlavourArt so if there is some concern - well hopefully I have taken in half as much of it eh?!?... lol. Everyone is their own consumer and are free to pick there own brands, or hell keep adding unknowns - I am not going to stop them but I am not going to tell them to add anything more either.

Plus I find it easier to track peer reviewed studies and news headlines if the variables are limited in some respect. Sticking to one brand could help with that.
IF it is about PG/VG or Nic it would apply to me, same with the hardware issues used to vape.
IF it is about flavouring I would only need to know does the company I use have this problem and if so which products exactly in their line.

I only plan to get about 20 flavours from them and hope that is good enough for me - as I am pretty simple to please. I have heard some people don't even use flavouring - I don't know if I could or not. probably not.

The way I look at things as a consumer is: cigarettes (the product) ended up owning me. I did not own them. I switched to vaping because, with the limited information I have, I think vaping is a way better choice for me. But I will also be clear in that vaping (the products) still own me. I can not go out canoeing for a week into the interior without it and lets just say that vaping gear isn't something I want to take along.

Last edited:

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I plan to only to stick with FlavourArt for the flavouring variable. My understanding is that company does not add colouring. But, if I am wrong about that - then hopefully someone much wiser then me will speak up.

You are right. From their website (http://flavourartexpress.biz/index.php?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=7 ) : "Our flavors DOES NOT contain sugars, protein, genetic modified ingredients, animal ingredients of any kind, preservatives, sweeteners and colors. They are all gluten and peanut free. Great for diabetics, vegetarian and vegans."

PuffV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How does Koi by Gemini produce blue eliquid? is it just the flavourings they use?

PuffV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've got over 300 flavors and none are blue, so I'd bet they add some food coloring.
Cosmetically looks really good. But I'm wondering if it's worth adding colouring just for visual perception. They seem to be doing large volume so I guess customers aren't so concerned about the added ingredient

Dixie1954

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So did FA say **no color** before they came out with Reggae Night, or after??

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Started a bottle of Mint Naturally Extracted flavoring yesterday and it has a lovely green color.

Tf1Q05xRNna3SB1TSlXeQauxxW_7gH7m2VOAdcqpDVDVGgci6UM6kebdLy9FnIvmy7gYqnQ1tUQOeB49YcYgiX67KVK4BUIQL1ejSCnbS3Gw9eFsy9lxUGwfRbn7e7ExyqzxIU5bWkGqXy221Kh9lJtOBPLtSMM_UiY_dMPfftXIph9YBULhzreKrO0OyLorx7Z2RYwvS3IilbQrnxyXxKK4f7xKb_x5rv0adza2V_STwvA09hCzclABTPqvEDZaxNQ0zYpCm_HJd-tdV2__C6aiYW7cw0akV1_6UOmnEVBJb5BGk1N2Fjp8V-CzWz7oGW3-D8uDqPt3uPepzoVl2oxei1S4Pd5zKOstwfgijarGFu9QCWnpo3YdFDUciJsf9Udtq5UlSfvYSnCDfTzwY-xK89eSfYCPRaMeltkFWQrnjhZg2-VVHiSpvfs1jgX5k4-L9AMsUb_4Jo7Krk2Ip1h--plmK3RjZvq-dPeiq4S1zxvC_cETIelOwaGpuju7-YNQ46kJpbj2va5vEurWC_oYMr2yVAUAMY613eQxoew6YMO99jMTZ6_wuI8E9MLfkRzrSBPP12kb_CiiY_b6jGo3pBm9cXOoHuWvasvHCBIf7pmnvcNidyB-JzkAqcI0PZOucUIGBvcqM4gZRyGUSn000BStHCs=w569-h758-no

I wouldnt do it for and adv but I dont think a toothpick swirl every great once in awhile would be to bad if its the right kind . I wanted to do a green one for st pattys and red for christmas. .... never did it. would have been cool . maybe this year. but officially on the books Id have to say its probably not the best thing to vape.
It's a late late reply , but the part of your comment where you said green for
" St. Pattys " WT actual F€UK is wrong wit all you yank Americans 😒😒😡, its St. Patrick's day aka " PADDY'S " day ............not " Pattys day , wen you read this comment just do me one favour, memorise This 👉 " PADDYS DAY " NOT PATTYS , AND JUST TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY THAT ST. PATRICKS DAY IS REFERED TO AS " PADDYS DAY " IN IRELAND WE ARE SO F€UKING FED UP AND TIRED OF TELLING ALL YOU AMERICANS THAT ITS F€UKING PADDYS DAY AND NOT PATTYS DAY , GET IT RIGHT WILL YA 😡🤬👊🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🙇‍♂️🙇‍♂️🙇‍♂

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
It's a late late reply , but the part of your comment where you said green for
" St. Pattys " WT actual F€UK is wrong wit all you yank Americans 😒😒😡, its St. Patrick's day aka " PADDY'S " day ............not " Pattys day , wen you read this comment just do me one favour, memorise This 👉 " PADDYS DAY " NOT PATTYS , AND JUST TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY THAT ST. PATRICKS DAY IS REFERED TO AS " PADDYS DAY " IN IRELAND WE ARE SO F€UKING FED UP AND TIRED OF TELLING ALL YOU AMERICANS THAT ITS F€UKING PADDYS DAY AND NOT PATTYS DAY , GET IT RIGHT WILL YA 😡🤬👊🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🙇‍♂️🙇‍♂️🙇‍♂
woops....
been vaping to much of That green food coloring again...??

green.jpg

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
So, Let me get this straight
You joined a VAPING forum to bitch about a SEVEN YEAR OLD post that doesn't have a damn thing to do with vaping?.
It's all good. We have a list for spam posts that may magically change into a bunch of spam links.
Welcome to the list.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I was told bedtime stories that it was because they stole the gold!
So after all these yrs detecting.....chasing those things......iv been wasting my time....
Im devastated!

Sent from my LM-X430 using Tapatalk
Don't bother. it's impossible to catch one. If you try to chase one they are either too fast or they will completely vanish with only a cloud of green dust remaining.

VU Sponsors