Become a Patron!

Flavour is gone (not vapours tongue)

Hi there, I'm relatively new to vaping and have came across a problem. I purchased the kangertech mini starter kit and then bought the aspire celito tank as my friend recommended this.

Everything was great, really enjoyed vaping and stopped smoking until I changed the coil for the first time. When I replaced the coil I forgot to prime it and didn't realise until a few hours later. Thought the coil would be ruined so I went and purchased another coil and some new liquid.

After setting my new coil up and priming it I'm still finding that it tastes very bland, one of my friends said that you need to break the coil in but I've went through 2 tanks of liquid and still no change. I've looked online and I can't see it being vapuours tongue as I've tried my oil in my friends vape and it tastes how it should. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm just about giving up, thank you

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What resistance is the coil you're running, and what wattage are you vaping at?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A few things, I have that tank, I had the same lack of flavor on my first coil, seems I should have let it prime a bit longer, as the coil broke in , the flavor returned and now I get plenty of flavor from it, the possibility of getting a bad coil is not out of the question either.

What resistance is the coil you're running, and what wattage are you vaping at?
Thanks for the speedy reply, It's a 0.2 coil and I'm vaping it at 55-60 watts,

A few things, I have that tank, I had the same lack of flavor on my first coil, seems I should have let it prime a bit longer, as the coil broke in , the flavor returned and now I get plenty of flavor from it, the possibility of getting a bad coil is not out of the question either.

I've considered both but don't want to keep buying and changing coils if it's not a coil problem, may just try one more to see if there's any difference, thanks for the reply

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
try using a small bore drip tip and reducing your air flow a little at a time. You may also need to reduce power. Try starting at about 35 watts and half open airflow, and adjust your power up slowly. I am not sure what size drip tip you have, but the smaller ones give better flavor, larger ones give better clouds. If you only have 1, dont worry about that bit.

By the way, if the coil was ruined, there would be no "thinking it was ruined" involved. That dry cotton hit would be a dead give away. No doubt at all involved. It's like smoking a dirty sweat sock. LOL.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine work best at 33.5 watts with half airflow open
I use the.4 coils
thumbnail_IMG_1643_zpsik13vtxf.jpg

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
.2 ohm is a really hot coil. I personally don't understand why people want to vape so hot. I think it kills the flavor. Try going up to .4 or .5 ohm coils.
Because ohms do not equal heat.

For example..
single coils..

24ga SS 316 elite.. 4 wraps.. 35W to produce 400 mW/mm2 (0.2 ohm)
24ga SS 316 elite parallel, 8 wraps, 140 watts to produce 400 mW/mm2 (0.2 ohm)

as shown, the resistance is the same. The build is different. It is the build of the coil that determines how much heat flux not the resistance.
Coil 2 has 4 times the mass of coil one, yet the resistance is identical. Therefore coil 2 requires 4x the power to heat to 400mW/mm2
coil 2 will also give more flavor and cloud, especially if you claptoned the core wire.

To go one step further, building coil 2 at 0.1 ohm, would require 70W to hit 400mW/mm2 lower resistance but much cooler at the same 35W used by coil 1.

a little further.. coil 1 at 0.1 ohm would not be a feasible build, with only 2 wraps.

In terms of a premade factory coil, say 0.5 ohm a single wire coil would run hotter than a 0.50 parallel factory coil. It is the mass of the coil that determines the heat, not the resistance.

Now all this relates to flavor in the following way..
A parallel clapton might run at 0.2 ohm and give massive flavor, the extra wire used requires more power (watts) to heat to the same temp as a single wire build at the same resistance, which would of course deliver less flavor.

I will add, as an aside, since it does not relate to this particular thread, that mechanical mods are a bit different. In that case, lower resistance = more watts = more heat. So you have to be very specific about the result you want and then build your coil to reach that result. Without pushing any safety limits, higher ga wire will make lighter coils which allows you to maintain a safe resistance yet still produce enough watts to power the coil. Again, it is about coil density vs available watts.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors