Become a Patron!

Flavoring makeup

dm450

Member For 1 Year
Are the flavor concentrates PG based? I’ve been using ELR calculator to make my recipes and I see they have a VG, PG, Other option for ea flavor.

Reason I ask is because my daily driver is an Aromamizer Plus and I’d like to try getting closer to a 75-80VG to PG ratio. Just a test really to see if a “thinner” juice will wick better and give better flavor for that tank.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
99% of our concentrates are PG based. VG based are available through some vendors, certain brands, but they are kind of "dull" in flavor and require more quantity in a mix. I don't hear very good things. PG is the flavor "carrier" in our juices, so most of us find the PG based flavorings better.
I have that tank and do most of my mixes in a 60vg/40pg or 70vg/30pg, and all taste pretty awesome. ;)

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also -- I have to be VERY careful to always have at least 85% PG in my juice, so I had to find a calculator that accounts for the PG/VG ratio in EVERY SINGLE INGREDIENT ADDED -- this is the ONLY one I've found with that capability -- https://ecigvape.com/example/e-liquid-calculator-with-pgvg-adjusting

Use that calculator and you'll know EXACTLY how much PG/VG is in your vape.

Andria

dm450

Member For 1 Year
Thank you! I had a feeling with how “thin” flavorings were that they were PG based.

Andria, does ELR not account for VG/PG in everything? It asks for makeup of nicotine, and flavors. Just curious is all. If needed I’d rather jump to a different calculator if needed before my ever increasing flavor lineup gets bigger lol.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you! I had a feeling with how “thin” flavorings were that they were PG based.

Andria, does ELR not account for VG/PG in everything? It asks for makeup of nicotine, and flavors. Just curious is all. If needed I’d rather jump to a different calculator if needed before my ever increasing flavor lineup gets bigger lol.
ELR does account for VG/PG in a flavor. It is up to you to enter the proper information, when adding a flavor to your flavor stash. There's a radio button that you have to select, whether your flavor is VG, or PG based. PG is the default, due to most of the flavors being PG based.

dm450

Member For 1 Year
ELR does account for VG/PG in a flavor. It is up to you to enter the proper information, when adding a flavor to your flavor stash. There's a radio button that you have to select, whether your flavor is VG, or PG based. PG is the default, due to most of the flavors being PG based.

I figured that’s what it was for. Changed all my flavors in recipes from “other” to “PG” and it reflects in total ratios. Just starting to get my feet wet in this DIY stuff. So far so good!

dm450

Member For 1 Year
What can I expect going to a 70/30 blend? Expecting little less cloud production but maybe flavors “pop” a bit more.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I figured that’s what it was for. Changed all my flavors in recipes from “other” to “PG” and it reflects in total ratios. Just starting to get my feet wet in this DIY stuff. So far so good!
Personally, I prefer ELR over other calculators I've evaluated, mainly due to the ability to access my recipes on any internet capable device. In addition, I don't have to worry about creating backups of files on any of my computers.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
What can I expect going to a 70/30 blend? Expecting little less cloud production but maybe flavors “pop” a bit more.
When I started DIY, I experimented with different VG/PG ratios, utilizing the same flavor percentages. I couldn't tell any differences in the flavors whatsoever. Similarly to the vapor production, unless you take a major step to either VG, or PG. I like 90 VG and 10 PG, due to the smoothness and bigger clouds.

dm450

Member For 1 Year
When I started DIY, I experimented with different VG/PG ratios, utilizing the same flavor percentages. I couldn't tell any differences in the flavors whatsoever. Similarly to the vapor production, unless you take a major step to either VG, or PG. I like 90 VG and 10 PG, due to the smoothness and bigger clouds.

Thanks for the info!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Yes exactly that, and a bit more TH too. If your nic level is low (5mg or less) then it won't be a huge difference, but with a higher nic level, then higher PG will intensify nicotine's natural TH. Some like that, some really don't. If it bothers you, there are various "super-refined" nicotines available that are supposed to be much smoother than the "norm."

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Personally, I prefer ELR over other calculators I've evaluated, mainly due to the ability to access my recipes on any internet capable device. In addition, I don't have to worry about creating backups of files on any of my computers.

That's exactly why I like the Ecigvape calculator. I was already a several-year user of the Ecigvape calculator before I even heard of the ELR one. The other option with which I was familiar when I first started was EjuiceMeUp, and it doesn't allow you to specify the PG/VG of your flavors, not does it save recipes online -- altogether a far inferior calculator.

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Some are PG and some are VG plus some have alcohol. I have more than 1/2 of my flavors in VG because I mix Max or High VG. Many of the vendors also offer flavorings in both VG or PG.

dm450

Member For 1 Year
Yes exactly that, and a bit more TH too. If your nic level is low (5mg or less) then it won't be a huge difference, but with a higher nic level, then higher PG will intensify nicotine's natural TH. Some like that, some really don't. If it bothers you, there are various "super-refined" nicotines available that are supposed to be much smoother than the "norm."

Andria

Good info! I’m 3mg or less. Last batch of GOC was 1.5mg and I bumped total flavor % to 15% and pretty happy with the results.

Just looking for input and feedback before I go changing more things around.

Thanks everyone!

dm450

Member For 1 Year
That's exactly why I like the Ecigvape calculator. I was already a several-year user of the Ecigvape calculator before I even heard of the ELR one. The other option with which I was familiar when I first started was EjuiceMeUp, and it doesn't allow you to specify the PG/VG of your flavors, not does it save recipes online -- altogether a far inferior calculator.

Andria

I think I only have like 27 flavors so far. Figured if I was using a calculator/website that needed to change I better get on it before flavor catalogue gets bigger lol.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

The calculator I use from https://ecigvape.com allows for PG/VG and alcohol content, plus access from anywhere with Internet access. But I still keep back ups locally and on paper for those times when the power goes out or the Internet is down~!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good info! I’m 3mg or less. Last batch of GOC was 1.5mg and I bumped total flavor % to 15% and pretty happy with the results.

Just looking for input and feedback before I go changing more things around.

Thanks everyone!

I'm thinking that if you stay with 30/70 PG/VG, it's still such high VG that there won't be much TH -- with my own 86% PG, if my son tries a hit off mine, he gets choked up -- even at my 10w. :D Because he prefers 30/70 himself, and I've tried a hit off his, at 20-odd watts, and damn, there's just no TH at all.

Andria

dm450

Member For 1 Year
I'm thinking that if you stay with 30/70 PG/VG, it's still such high VG that there won't be much TH -- with my own 86% PG, if my son tries a hit off mine, he gets choked up -- even at my 10w. :D Because he prefers 30/70 himself, and I've tried a hit off his, at 20-odd watts, and damn, there's just no TH at all.

Andria

10W?!?! Your batteries must last all week. I’m usually around the 70W mark and with a triple 18650 mod I can get a tad over a day of usage.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
10W?!?! Your batteries must last all week. I’m usually around the 70W mark and with a triple 18650 mod I can get a tad over a day of usage.

My 30Q's last nearly 3 full days in my Minibooks, though only about 2 days in my Aegis. My 25R's and HE2's last 2 full days, and a bit more. You use that much power because you probably have a VERITABLE HURRICANE of airflow. I use a super-tight draw RDA, the Achilles -- the internal airhole is 1.2mm. Because I just can't see any point in huffing my vape, since I never huffed my cigarettes.

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I’m usually around the 70W mark and with a triple 18650 mod I can get a tad over a day of usage.

When I was vaping at around 10 to 14 Watts I would get a day out my 18650's. But since I got tired of the lower wattage and went back to 60+ Watts in TC, I now am going through 2 sets of 3 18650's a day.

Last edited:

dm450

Member For 1 Year
My 30Q's last nearly 3 full days in my Minibooks, though only about 2 days in my Aegis. My 25R's and HE2's last 2 full days, and a bit more. You use that much power because you probably have a VERITABLE HURRICANE of airflow. I use a super-tight draw RDA, the Achilles -- the internal airhole is 1.2mm. Because I just can't see any point in huffing my vape, since I never huffed my cigarettes.

Andria

Ah you must be MTL? I haven’t dabbled in that yet but have a MTL Beserker coming. So far I’ve been DL vaping only.

I prefer a more restrictive draw, therefore AFC open roughly 25%. Probably not comparing apples to apples here.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ah you must be MTL? I haven’t dabbled in that yet but have a MTL Beserker coming. So far I’ve been DL vaping only.

I prefer a more restrictive draw, therefore AFC open roughly 25%. Probably not comparing apples to apples here.

Nope, not at all. My son insists that my draw is actually much tighter than any cigarette, but that's not how I remember it -- I smoked some strength of VA Slims for over 30 yrs, and the last 20+ were Ultra-Lights -- all were packed very tightly into that slim tube, and required a strenuous draw -- and that's the part I always missed, when I tried to quit, pre-vaping -- I've even taped cigarette filters to cut-down straws, to try and mimic that feeling, but it wasn't ever even close... till I started vaping, and especially, when I got my Achilles.

I hope you have better luck with the Berserker than I did. I liked the draw very much, set on the tightest setting, but it didn't provide much flavor (not compared to the Achilles, which gives SUPER-SATURATED flavor), and it always leaked. I finally gave up on it.

If you ever feel like trying an RDA with a decent tight draw, I recently got a Caiman v4, and they're great! Not at good as the Achilles, nothing is, but it comes the closest yet.

Andria

dm450

Member For 1 Year
Nope, not at all. My son insists that my draw is actually much tighter than any cigarette, but that's not how I remember it -- I smoked some strength of VA Slims for over 30 yrs, and the last 20+ were Ultra-Lights -- all were packed very tightly into that slim tube, and required a strenuous draw -- and that's the part I always missed, when I tried to quit, pre-vaping -- I've even taped cigarette filters to cut-down straws, to try and mimic that feeling, but it wasn't ever even close... till I started vaping, and especially, when I got my Achilles.

I hope you have better luck with the Berserker than I did. I liked the draw very much, set on the tightest setting, but it didn't provide much flavor (not compared to the Achilles, which gives SUPER-SATURATED flavor), and it always leaked. I finally gave up on it.

If you ever feel like trying an RDA with a decent tight draw, I recently got a Caiman v4, and they're great! Not at good as the Achilles, nothing is, but it comes the closest yet.

Andria

I'll have to look into the Achilles. Thanks for all the advice!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'll have to look into the Achilles. Thanks for all the advice!

Won't do any good -- they're not made nor sold anywhere anymore. Goddamnit!!! I've looked high and low, asked around here for anyone who doesn't like their super-tight draw... nada.

Andria

dm450

Member For 1 Year
Won't do any good -- they're not made nor sold anywhere anymore. Goddamnit!!! I've looked high and low, asked around here for anyone who doesn't like their super-tight draw... nada.

Andria

Ever ordered from fasttech?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tqe2YNe.jpg

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Totally agree with that! Super slow shipping to the states. But for the items that aren’t available anywhere else or are stupid overly priced, it can’t be beat lol.

I guess if I wasn't able to find something anywhere else I might try them but never have and honestly don't plan on it. Nothing against foreign vendors because I use many, just since I heard of FT this is all I ever hear.

upload_2018-10-26_16-7-9.jpeg

VU Sponsors