Become a Patron!

Flavor Problems with Kennedy RDA

LivingSacrifice5

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Alright, I've had this thing for awhile now. The Kennedy 22mm Competition clone. I'v gotten "o.k" flavor out of it, but I don't think I've found a build that does this thing justice. I'm not to good with bottom airflow and top air flow combined. I'v tried a lot of different setups and they all seemed to be lacking. I get great flavor out of my rda's with side air flow, so I know its just a matter of calibration.
Any ideas/comments are welcomed.
Here is a pic, so ya'll can see what I'v got to work with.

b5azdA.jpg

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
that is one of my top rda's ... I get great flavor from it!!!

here is what I see there that I don't do with mine
- that top cap is a flavor killer with the 2 airflow under the coil.
its just to much air to produce a lot of flavor.... It works great with the regular kennedy but with the comp, not so much.

also, I use much larger coils- my standard build on it is either 8/9 wraps of 22 gauge or 6/7 wraps of 26/34 Clapton wire. I wrap my coils at 3mm- ID
1D6F5983-F652-4590-9DE7-F40CB78CF53D_zpsq6sns6p1.jpg

LivingSacrifice5

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
that is one of my top rda's ... I get great flavor from it!!!

here is what I see there that I don't do with mine
- that top cap is a flavor killer with the 2 airflow under the coil.
its just to much air to produce a lot of flavor.... It works great with the regular kennedy but with the comp, not so much.

also, I use much larger coils- my standard build on it is either 8/9 wraps of 22 gauge or 6/7 wraps of 26/34 Clapton wire. I wrap my coils at 3mm- ID
1D6F5983-F652-4590-9DE7-F40CB78CF53D_zpsq6sns6p1.jpg

Thanks for the tip! I have experimented with cutting off the air on the top cap...usually with my lips when I hit it, but blocking it off completely seemed to help the flavor a bit. As for coil size...I was experimenting with smaller i.d under the assumption that the air coming in would hit the coil all the way around. Most all my regular builds are 24-28awg on a 3mm. I have some 22awg, but I havn't used it very much because it seems to have a long ramp up time even with my regulated mods....maybe my builds were just proportioned wrong...or I wasn't using enough power. On your 22ga builds, what wattage/voltage do you run them at?
I'm going to try a dual 22awg 8/9 wrap 3mm ( i might try 3.5 or 4mm with 22awg & more or less wraps just for s&g).
I'm thinking a spaced coil would probably work more efficiently ?

I'll post the end results. Thanks again!

LivingSacrifice5

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try spaced wraps instead of the tight wraps.
You may be surprised.
I've experimented with spaced coils on the Kennedy before, with not much of a difference (for me anyway). I think the "demon cap" with the 2 top air holes might be one of the big problems I'm having with flavor....so I blocked it off completely.
I'm going to try some spaced builds next. I notice the position of the coil (space between post/coil & deck/coil/drip tip) affects flavor as well.
I have a lot of experimenting to do.
Thank you very much for the input!

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've experimented with spaced coils on the Kennedy before, with not much of a difference (for me anyway). I think the "demon cap" with the 2 top air holes might be one of the big problems I'm having with flavor....so I blocked it off completely.
I'm going to try some spaced builds next. I notice the position of the coil (space between post/coil & deck/coil/drip tip) affects flavor as well.
I have a lot of experimenting to do.
Thank you very much for the input!
Not sure if you should consider it real input.
I don't build so I was only going off an idea I once had.
Never tested it so I have nothing but "concepts"
haha

LivingSacrifice5

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, finally got around to trying a 22awg Kanthal 8 wrap around 4mm bit. Vape is warmer. I blocked off the two air holes on the top cap. The flavor tastes kind of muted...or weak. I'm using Slotter Pops by Lost Arts btw.
q72nnd.jpg

anen

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try Ka1 28/40 FC 2mm ID 7-8 wraps. It should come out around .3 Ohm dual coil set up. Hit it with 150 watt and up.

morfius1963

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you put Clapton's on that Kennedy you'll taste real flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMO the build isn't the issue.. It's trying to get great flavor from a could making atomizer. Can you get more or even better flavor yeah, sure... Build a bigger coil. It's like towing a travel trailer with a 'Vette... Because it has the same V8 motor as the Chevy truck.

Get you coil as close to the air intake as possible, reduce air volume as much as possible. Note I said volume not FLOW. This mean reduce the size of the chamber, flow should still be set to the draw you prefer. The key to flavor is adjusting the air to juice ratio of the vapor. Clouds need more air in the ratio Flavor more juice and less air. Big coil and small vaporization chamber bring big flavor. Big coil big chamber brings big clouds.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bigger coils will give you better flavor, also the competition cap kills the flavor so try using a regular one.

marco67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have a Kennedy 24, muted flavor, too airy.
All in all quite disapointing. Tried multiple slick builds in 28,26 awg kanthal.
If you need "Tank tracks" or other exotica, what the hell is the point. I mean 109 bucks for what.
I had been wondering if the 24s were dogs.
Now i see the same issues with the 22s.
Meanwhile i'll content myself with the Fasttech Goon.
Much more satisfying without the bullshit

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've found a similar issue with most 24d and wider rdas... Save the recoil, which has great flavor btw!
Anything else I'm having to run Claptons or fused Claptons to get good flavor....
Granted I run 24g in my Kennedycomp 22 with the Kennedy slamcap and a 510.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

aeon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My Kennedy 25mm 2-post has turned out to be a flavor and cloud megastar...quickly moved to become not just my fave RDA, but atomizer of choice, period.

In that first pic, offset the coils so they are centered over the airflow tubes, and stop blocking the tubes with wicking. And yeah, no top airflow.

I run fused or quad-core Claptons, around .25 ohms at 80 watts on a Therion, pure VG, and the plumes are dense and immense...yet at the same time, flavor for days.

Cheers,
Ian

Kennedy's make great flavor and clouds, at same time, at higher wattage's. I like to vape mine with dual coils at 0.2 - 0.3 ohm, 24g 316 SS wire for at 100-120w. You will need to juice often but the flavor is heavenly while chucking clouds at the same time...

Most of the ones getting good flavor seem to have their coils center over the flows, not sure if coils were centered on op’s set up.

kennedyhexohmfan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Center your coils + Lose the demon cap= Flavor bomb! :bomb:
Alien coils N80 + Center the Coils + Lose the demon cap = Flavor bliss!:xD:

A clone might also have thinner walls and a different size and inner shape of the airflow which will affect the flavor.

IMG_1707.JPG IMG_1708.JPG

Last edited:

VU Sponsors