Become a Patron!

flavor disappears after first morning drag

Hello,
I quit smoking and started vaping one month ago. I have a vtc mini, a taifun gt2, goblin mini, nautilus mini and subtank mini.
My problem is that i cant taste my juice. I tried many different flavors mostly cream based. The only time I can fully taste any of the juices I have is when I wake up and take the first drag. After that the flavor disappears. The only time I get some flavor is if the coil spits some juice in my mouth.
I tried different coils with different wattage settings but with no luck.
I read a lot of post and articles regarding vapors tongue, etc. Tried many suggestions, nothing worked.
Is this normal for someone who is new to vaping?

Reactions: CJ

CJ

VU Webmaster
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I have the same exact issue, I've been vaping over 2 years and this only started recently, I DIY all my juice and I've done everything from buying juice to trying all vendors out their for nicotine. I've done the saline cleaning, everything I have read for vapors fatigue / tongue has not worked either.

I'll start with that I've used everything from a carto on a simple ego all the way up to a dna200 mod at 100w+ NOTHING gives me flavor unless I just woke up..

I've switched juices and everything, now I just vape 80 / 20 VG / PG no flavoring until I can figure out a resolution. I will definitely keep you up to date on my progress cause it's been bugging me!

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello,
I quit smoking and started vaping one month ago. I have a vtc mini, a taifun gt2, goblin mini, nautilus mini and subtank mini.
My problem is that i cant taste my juice. I tried many different flavors mostly cream based. The only time I can fully taste any of the juices I have is when I wake up and take the first drag. After that the flavor disappears. The only time I get some flavor is if the coil spits some juice in my mouth.
I tried different coils with different wattage settings but with no luck.
I read a lot of post and articles regarding vapors tongue, etc. Tried many suggestions, nothing worked.
Is this normal for someone who is new to vaping?

I had pretty much the same thing happen to me the first couple of months after I switched to vaping. I considered it vaper's tongue. I don't know what you've tried to overcome it, but what really helped me back then was to have 2 or 3 setups going with different flavors in each, rotating flavors every couple of drags.

That was almost four years ago and I was using pretty lame gear compared to what you and I are using now, but I think the same process is at work for you as was for me then. Basically if you vape the same flavor too long and too often you lose sensitivity to it. Like if you spend time in a smelly environment after a while you stop noticing it.

That worked well for me, but as always YMMV. As I'm sure you know if you just keep vaping for a while the common wisdom is you'll get over it in time. I still lose the flavor a bit after vaping for a while, but now it's easy for me to cut back on vaping or stop for a while and that works for me too. But I don't ever lose the flavor completely these days.

Hang in and best of luck with it!

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've switched juices and everything, now I just vape 80 / 20 VG / PG no flavoring until I can figure out a resolution. I will definitely keep you up to date on my progress cause it's been bugging me!

There are a few people out there who vape nic base exclusively. They say it's surprisingly close to the flavor of a cig, but I've never tried it myself. I don't vape much nic anymore anyway so that wouldn't work well for me and vaping just VG/PG doesn't sound like much fun to me. Plus I left tobacco flavors behind fast after I started vaping.

I generally use less than 10% flavoring in my juices which could help my nose to avoid getting 'burned out' from the flavoring. I also use a bit of menthol and some pepper flavoring most of the time. I love pepper on food so that was a natural for me and both seem to help me get something like TH from low or no-nic juices.

I hope you both get some relief from this soon CJ.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Eat ice cream and it often tastes colder the first bite or two, then your mouth 'gets used to it' and it's not as cold.
Eat spicy food and it tastes less spicy the more often you eat it.

I have to wonder if that is what is happening with you guys and flavors. How often do you switch flavors? I rarely go all day using just one flavor. Even if I do want to use one flavor all day, I'll drip a completely different flavor once or twice every few hours just to prevent my mouth from getting too used to the first flavor.

Eat ice cream and it often tastes colder the first bite or two, then your mouth 'gets used to it' and it's not as cold.
Eat spicy food and it tastes less spicy the more often you eat it.

I have to wonder if that is what is happening with you guys and flavors. How often do you switch flavors? I rarely go all day using just one flavor. Even if I do want to use one flavor all day, I'll drip a completely different flavor once or twice every few hours just to prevent my mouth from getting too used to the first flavor.

i have three of my tanks fill with different juice and I switch all the time. The only time I get full flavor is the first drag of the day. At second drag the flavor is gone by 75% and by the third drag I barely taste anything. After that when I switch juices I taste almost nothing.
It is sooooooo frustrating.

I guess I will have to take naps before vaping. lol

Last edited:

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have to say that this has really piqued my curiosity.

For most people, the first hit of the day is usually the worst. Usually, when waking up in the morning your throat wont be 'used' to vaping and will be dry from sleeping all night resulting in a real harsh first hit of the day. Also happens when doing other tasks that result in a dry throat (ie, physical activity causing heavy breathing that dries out your throat).

Frese

ECF Refugee
Had the same thing happen to me.
I tried all of the recommended solutions to no avail. Very frustrating.
Good news, it will go away after a week or 10 days.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol
For me the first hit is the same as the last hit of the day..excellent!
But I vape different flavors in rotation, and use RTA's like the Griffin with a dual coil sub ohm build and Organic cotton..good flavor all day long..just sayin
dd294357793cc4fd53f0451b6332b47b.jpg
Also the TFV4 on the end isn't bad either...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Lol
For me the first hit is the same as the last hit of the day..excellent!
But I vape different flavors in rotation, and use RTA's like the Griffin with a dual coil sub ohm build and Organic cotton..good flavor all day long..just sayin
dd294357793cc4fd53f0451b6332b47b.jpg
Also the TFV4 on the end isn't bad either...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I order a Uwell crown and I will receive it tomorrow. I dont know how good it is, i read some good reviews about it, but I doubt it will make a difference. This will be my last buy until I get flavor.

MASSIVE

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Liking the Crowns... Coils take a bit to break in -- Take your time and start at low wattage, puff-puff-pump it up, puff-puff-pump it up, etc. Very "cottony" taste for the first several ml, but quite nice after. And I think I've only "burnt" one coil -- Which for me, is saying something. Getting good mileage out of them otherwise.

Flavor... I'm with you. All day - some hits great, other hits wet cardboard. I'd definitely have a standby tank of something "wild" to help reset your olfactory - uh - factory... I keep an eGo Mega filled with Element's "Watermelon Chill" -- It's sort of a Jolly Rancher watermelon and really strong mint. Two flavors that just shouldn't work together - but somehow, it's a really lively, bright, hard-hitter that wakes up the taste buds. Big contrast to the creamy goodness I tend to use most of the time.

I have the same exact issue, I've been vaping over 2 years and this only started recently, I DIY all my juice and I've done everything from buying juice to trying all vendors out their for nicotine. I've done the saline cleaning, everything I have read for vapors fatigue / tongue has not worked either.

I'll start with that I've used everything from a carto on a simple ego all the way up to a dna200 mod at 100w+ NOTHING gives me flavor unless I just woke up..

Hello, did u ever find out what was happening?
I have the same exact issue that you and OP have for 2 years now...

Same thing happens to me, it’s just getting used to the flavor.

Also I noticed that on some tanks with certain e liquid the flavor burns out as the coil heats up. So the first few hits are great but once the coil reaches its steady temp the flavor is gone.

I noticed at that point if you lower the wattage the flavor returns to certain extent.

I use primarily 100% vg with sub ohm tanks.

Second, I vape a coffee flavor in one mod and that resets my taste buds and I get full flavor just proving vapors tongue

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had issues with this in the past. One thing that helped me was realizing that certain flavors are very difficult for me to taste. For instance, strawberry (one of my favorite things in the world) is nearly impossible for me to enjoy beyond the first 1 or 2 drags. The other thing I discovered is that certain set ups are much better for me. There are very few premade coil tanks that I found that will give me the flavor I am looking for. I mostly stick to rebuildables. Then I discovered squonking, which changed everything for me. I have found no better system for flavor for myself. Just like anything really, you just have to find what works best for you. The frustrating part is that it might be more than one thing working against you, so don't give up. Just keep experimenting and you'll find your comfort zone.

VU Sponsors