Become a Patron!

FLAVOR CHASERS, ATTENTION FLAVOR CHASERS!

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
After vaping for a bit I've come to realize that I prefer flavor over cloud. Not sure if "flavor chaser" is a term being used but we should make it one! Anyways, I was just hoping you guys could post any tips or info in regards to coil building that helps you achieve optimal flavor. I'm not looking for info about atomizers or anything like that, I'm just looking for info on coil building; style of coil build, type of wire, micro or standard coil, etc. What helps you achieve the most flavor?

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I did a single coil (horizontal) wrapped around a 2mm screwdriver. I think I did 8 wraps. It has put out some pretty nice flavor. right around .8 ohms. Got it sitting on my Veritas

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well, flavor does have something to do with the atty and device you use. A coil isn't just a coil, IMO.

You need a dense cloud quickly. I find the longer the draw the less flavor. Too much air takes away the denseness of the coil as well, and robs flavor.

My Billow is running .3 ohm and has quite a bit of flavor. Can't wait for my Sub Tank to show up to compare. Someday a Lemo is in order as well.

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well, flavor does have something to do with the atty and device you use. A coil isn't just a coil, IMO.

You need a dense cloud quickly. I find the longer the draw the less flavor. Too much air takes away the denseness of the coil as well, and robs flavor.

My Billow is running .3 ohm and has quite a bit of flavor. Can't wait for my Sub Tank to show up to compare. Someday a Lemo is in order as well.
Well yeah I agree with that. I just didn't want the thread to turn into an atomizer thread, ya know? I was kinda hoping to hear if people have better luck with micro coils or standard coils when it comes to flavor, and stuff along those lines.

Just a side note though, you will love your Lemo when you get it.

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I played around with dual coil, twisted, etc. and ended up staying with a single coil micro or twisted. The juice has as much to play in it as anything I believe. Before doing the DIY juice thing my local B/M had a house brand juice that worked best around .8 ohms, their premium juice seemed to be best between 1.1-1.8 ohm coils for me, if I went lower it would give a burnt taste to it. My DIY 70VG/30PG Kiwi 9mg nic seems to be happy around 1.1 Ohms. Using unregulated mods.

28ga micro or twisted single coil.

Last edited:

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I played around with dual coil, twisted, etc. and ended up staying with a single coil micro or twisted. The juice has as much to play in it as anything I believe. Before doing the DIY juice thing my local B/M had a house brand juice that worked best around .8 ohms, their premium juice seemed to be best between 1.1-1.8 ohm coils for me, if I went lower it would give a burnt taste to it. My DIY 70VG/30PG Kiwi 9mg nic seems to be happy around 1.1 Ohms. Using unregulated mods.

28ga micro or twisted single coil.
I'll go along with that, all the different juice seems to have it's own happy place.

T

Taver13

if you get a lemo, for flavor, go with the drop. it dosent have the juice capacity of the regular lemo, but the flavor is much better, i made the mistake of getting a lemo right away instead of waiting for the drop to drop. lol, see what i did there? either way, i use my regular lemo for being out at work since it lasts pretty long between fills.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well yeah I agree with that. I just didn't want the thread to turn into an atomizer thread, ya know? I was kinda hoping to hear if people have better luck with micro coils or standard coils when it comes to flavor, and stuff along those lines.

Just a side note though, you will love your Lemo when you get it.

To be honest, I have not tried every wacked out coil build out there. I am mostly a straight coil maker. I've done some twisted coils, bought some pre made twisted coil wires, etc.

Because I do not normally run wicked low builds, I don't think I am getting any benefit from them.

With the Billow, I have been running a .3 ohm coil on top of an unregulated box. Think the next build will be closer to 1 Ohm and made using 30 guage wire, instead of the 24 guage I used on the last build. I theorize I will have better flavor but not as hot a vape as before. We'll see.

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
if you get a lemo, for flavor, go with the drop. it dosent have the juice capacity of the regular lemo, but the flavor is much better, i made the mistake of getting a lemo right away instead of waiting for the drop to drop. lol, see what i did there? either way, i use my regular lemo for being out at work since it lasts pretty long between fills.
There ya"ll go costing me more money! Guess I gotta buy a drop now. LOL

T

Taver13

To be honest, I have not tried every wacked out coil build out there. I am mostly a straight coil maker. I've done some twisted coils, bought some pre made twisted coil wires, etc.

Because I do not normally run wicked low builds, I don't think I am getting any benefit from them.

With the Billow, I have been running a .3 ohm coil on top of an unregulated box. Think the next build will be closer to 1 Ohm and made using 30 guage wire, instead of the 24 guage I used on the last build. I theorize I will have better flavor but not as hot a vape as before. We'll see.
i used 30 gauge on my lemo, and it was nothing but dry hitsville

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
i used 30 gauge on my lemo, and it was nothing but dry hitsville

I have gotton that with my Billow, if I vape it very hard. Using Jap cotton, and max VG juice. It's too bad the Billow didn't have a bigger coil area. I can't put a bigger coils in it, bigger than 2 MM's.

T

Taver13

I have gotton that with my Billow, if I vape it very hard. Using Jap cotton, and max VG juice. It's too bad the Billow didn't have a bigger coil area. I can't put a bigger coils in it, bigger than 2 MM's.
i use a 5/32 pretty much for all of my coils, i had the 30gauge build all the way down at like 8 watts, still dry as hell, its boggling my mind, so i just went back to my 26gauge, 12 wraps, 1.5 ohm, at 25 watts, fantastic vape, different beast though, im running single coil

T

Taver13

I am both. MUST have a good, strong flavor but I need a fair bit of clouds too.
i agree, a fair bit s important, but i am not trying to just blow the hugest clouds possible like i used to, but i do need a decent cloud, but that usually comes with the builds i do, i pretty much use 22g on all my mechs, which get nice and hot, with tons of flavor, usually around .1-.2,

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've got a magma (clone) on its way to me, any of you flavor junkies have tips on what I should do for a build in that? I'm interested in seeing how it performs but from what I've heard if your build is not just right it can be pretty shitty.

cupracer92

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You know the old saying... in order to achieve complexity you must first master simplicity... or something like that.... lol. There's a lot that factors into flavor just like everyone else has already said above. But if you want to experiment in just coil builds for maximum flavor I would highly recommend flat ribbon wire if you have it. One build that comes to mind that's easy to do with a ton of flavor is the "Nano Dragon Coil", real simple build but flavor & vapor is pretty insane. :D

Last edited:

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And yes, "flavor chaser" is a term being used :D

brianriggs

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After vaping for a bit I've come to realize that I prefer flavor over cloud. Not sure if "flavor chaser" is a term being used but we should make it one! Anyways, I was just hoping you guys could post any tips or info in regards to coil building that helps you achieve optimal flavor. I'm not looking for info about atomizers or anything like that, I'm just looking for info on coil building; style of coil build, type of wire, micro or standard coil, etc. What helps you achieve the most flavor?

Twisted is flavor and I like parallel to.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
IDK how it applies except for me, but I get great flavor out of my twisted 33 gauge on a 1.8mm shaft for DC builds with JC.
I usually vape at 1.1 ohms using that, on several atties, and I just love it. :)

(I vape 20/80 or 15/85 DIY juice at 14-18mg)

YMMV....

Wern314

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've got a magma (clone) on its way to me, any of you flavor junkies have tips on what I should do for a build in that? I'm interested in seeing how it performs but from what I've heard if your build is not just right it can be pretty shitty.

Flavor is outstanding on my magma. My favorite flavor build is a dual coil 27awg on 14 gauge needle (2.10mm ID), 8 wraps which comes out to .54 ohms running it between 25-30 watts on my IPV3. Oh and I run it on the largest airflow holes.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Iv'e noticed that twisted gives better flavor, i suppose it has something to do with the bigger surface area of the coil.
Using twisted 28, twisted 26 single or dual, in my Magma, Veritas, and soon to come Marquis.
Got a Lemo but it has nothing on flavor, compared to my RDAs.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Iv'e noticed that twisted gives better flavor, i suppose it has something to do with the bigger surface area of the coil.
Using twisted 28, twisted 26 single or dual, in my Magma, Veritas, and soon to come Marquis.
Got a Lemo but it has nothing on flavor, compared to my RDAs.
I'm thinking of trying a single coil twisted build in the magma next - I've got a dual coil standard 28g kanthal, 13 wraps on 2.0mm screwdriver comes out to 0.7 ohms. It makes for some great flavor but I feel like coils are too restrictive. I think the twisted with those natural gaps between the wraps will work a lot better on the magma. Plus twisted coils are my favorite coils to build :)

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just a heads up, keep extra tension on the wire when coiling twisted. Otherwise they get all kinds of fucked up when initially heated.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just a heads up, keep extra tension on the wire when coiling twisted. Otherwise they get all kinds of fucked up when initially heated.
If you do a light torch once you finish twisting while still holding under tension, it will set, then you wont have any problems coiling it.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

The sub tank has good flavor. I think it is better with the RDA . Even with the factory coils its better than the Atlantis IMO. The kanger in RDA mode out performs my kayfun with flavor and vapor. The one thing I will say is if you vape high vg, keep it at or above a 70/30. My max vg juiced wicks fine, but the flavor takes a hit. I have a .7 with xwick in it and love it.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you do a light torch once you finish twisting while still holding under tension, it will set, then you wont have any problems coiling it.
I have never ever actually torched a wire in my life.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Propably would. I just fight the windmill and deal with the consequences later :D

Kizzer49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I run a smaller chambered rda. Its a atomic clone. I find it a pain sometimes if you drip to many drops it gets messy. But i been running a 1.5ohm coil to 1.8 ohm, 28 Guage kanthal at 2mm diameter. Seems to have good flavor. If i go to smaller diameter i cant seem to get good flavor.

Im going to try a smaller diameter today. I cant seem to get the cotton right.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It all seems so subjective to me. type of coils, ohms, watts, atty, cotton, etc... Everyone gets different results since the combinations are virtually endless. Experimentation with the equipment you have is your best bet, which is part of the fun and addictiveness !!

Kizzer49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It all seems so subjective to me. type of coils, ohms, watts, atty, cotton, etc... Everyone gets different results since the combinations are virtually endless. Experimentation with the equipment you have is your best bet, which is part of the fun and addictiveness !!
This is also a big part of it, it took me a while to find a ser up on my rda i really enjoy. Plus I have 20 watts to play with. So i found something that will work t
With that!

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FIRST OF ALL HOW OLD ARE YOU??

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
FIRST OF ALL HOW OLD ARE YOU??
Good question, but I am pretty sure from his profile AND the conversations we have had here, SB is an adult.

He's not some kid looking to blow clouds to be cool like the other guys in high school.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good question, but I am pretty sure from his profile AND the conversations we have had here, SB is an adult.

He's not some kid looking to blow clouds to be cool like the other guys in high school.
You cant be sure!

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

To answer your questions I'll be 26 next month. Been steadily vaping for a little over 6 months. I was in a car accident a couple months back and had to have surgery on my ankle. With that being said, I've been laid up at home with not a whole hell of a lot to do, that's why I've started some threads and have tried to educate myself more about vaping. Over the last two months my life has consisted of vaping, building coils, playing video games, Netflix, watching vaping reviews, talking to folks on here, and more vaping lol. I've had way too much time on my hands.

Also, Scuzzlebutt is a South Park character so that's where I got the idea. Big fan of the show.

By the way...I was hit by a couple kids who were out drinking and driving. So for anyone out there that reads this... DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE, AND DON'T BE A DUMBASS! Luckily I was the only one injured but they could have hit a family and it could have ended way worse. Sorry for the rant lol, had to vent a little. None of this is directed at anyone I'm particular.

Last edited:

Victor Erivez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
just did a quad coil which is supposibly for taste and let me tell you i reccomend it works great for taste

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
just did a quad coil which is supposibly for taste and let me tell you i reccomend it works great for taste
I actually just did this ridiculously hot build just for shits and grins. Twisted 26g, 5 wraps around a 2.4 mm screwdriver, 0.18 ohm in a plume veil I just picked up. I knew I wasn't really doing a flavor build but I'm still getting some strong flavor. Nice dense, warm, flavorful vape. Pretty surprised with it! Also I'm running it at 95 watts, 4.4 volts.

Victor Erivez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i like the clouds the double coil did but this single quad coil taste good

KeyBee

Member For 5 Years
Speaking about flavor I have to mention Clapton coil. Far the best taste Ive tried and right now I run them in half of my atties (KF, TGT, Rose...). I use 0.4/0.2 mm kanthal, 6 wraps, 2.5 mm bit = +- 1 ohm. Moreover such a beast lasts for months (actually it steeps for first days and getting better and better).

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Speaking about flavor I have to mention Clapton coil. Far the best taste Ive tried and right now I run them in half of my atties (KF, TGT, Rose...). I use 0.4/0.2 mm kanthal, 6 wraps, 2.5 mm bit = +- 1 ohm. Moreover such a beast lasts for months (actually it steeps for first days and getting better and better).
About how many watts do you usually run a build like that? I've started to lower the resistance of my builds just because I like a warm vape. I do have to run them on higher wattage though. For a .2-.3 build I'm usually running around 55-70 watts. I notice if I go to hot then I start to lose the flavor.

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I just watched the review on the Clapton coil. Doesn't seem too difficult to make. How does the flavor of it compare to a microcoil?

KeyBee

Member For 5 Years
Flavor is much much better :) Big surface makes the difference here. Vapor is a little bit warmer but I like it. I run it on 16 - 20 W (1 ohm) but the same coil withstands 25 - 30 W with no problem. And lower gauges can do more obviously. Generally Clapton can do "the same W + 50 %" like normal micro without burning your juice.

And yes - it is not so hard to make Clapton but the first time... is very funny ;)

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I got quads on my Orchid and oh boy. The flavor @ 50w is just in your face. The amount of vapor is what you can expect from 0.2 quads and when all that vapor is sort of compressed, if you will, in that small chimney the taste just becomes so wonderfully saturated and moist. It's like eating wet clouds of vanilla custard.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I switched to genesis tanks recently, and looking back, wish I had tried these much earlier. Not going to say the flavor is "way better," but its definitely very different from what I've grown accustomed to over the years.

VU Sponsors