Become a Patron!

Flashlight help please (resolved)

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have an old Pentagon Light L2 that takes 2 cr123 batteries. It has 6volt printed on the side. I'm having a hard time finding info on it. I've finally exhausted my stash of batteries and am not willing to buy more expensive, disposable batteries. The light works perfectly and suits my needs. It was issued to me on deployment so I'm kind of fond of it as well. I'm trying to find a suitable rechargeable replacement for the cr123's. I'm pretty sure two 3.7v (4.2v fully charged) batteries would fry the thing. I found Soshine 3v rcr123's at orbtronic, but the tests I found said to not run them in series. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I saw that. I'm thinking a 17670 might be a solution, but the guy was speculating. I was hoping someone might know for sure. I wish Pentagon Light would have verified specs. If I knew the input voltage range the thing could handle, guessing and experimenting wouldn't be necessary. Thanks for the reply.
You know, 17340 LiFePo batteries are the same thing.. You just need a 3v LiFePo charger instead of the 3.7v ones we normally use. You just gotta find them in the States... or wait forever ;) http://www.fasttech.com/product/1052701-123a-17340-32v-350mah-rechargeable-lifepo4-batter

Or, you can get 17335 3v Li-Ion batteries, but you still need a charger that will stop at 3.2v http://www.fasttech.com/product/1098400-17335-30v-1000mah-rechargeable-li-ion-batteries-2-

https://www.batteriesdirect.com/product/details/specialty-batteries/panasonic/br17335

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Everything I read about the 3v rechargeable's sounded pretty shady. The way the pcb restricts the voltage, taking a few milliseconds to activate, and the cells hardly ever being consistent with each other causing possible problems using them in series. I did a little more digging and decided the best thing to try first was to get a protected 17670. The protection will keep it from discharging too low and the voltage being lower than 6v won't fry anything. Sounds like it might work fine. Saw a couple reviews where folks used one to replace two cr123's in older surefire lights and it worked well. I guess I'll see when the mailman brings it. My current ecig battery charger will work for it so that's a bonus.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ended up ordering a protected 17670 from VaporKings.com for five dollars and change after shipping. Got it today and it works perfectly. Super cool. Thanks for replying guys.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ended up ordering a protected 17670 from VaporKings.com for five dollars and change after shipping. Got it today and it works perfectly. Super cool. Thanks for replying guys.
Nice :)

VU Sponsors