Become a Patron!

First look Luxotic kit - Wismec/Jaybo squonk

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So Angelia from Wismec was nice enough to send this along. It will not alter my opinions.

ezx9C0S.jpg

zx0T5m1.jpg

TH2a865.jpg

Jaybo had an idea to make a higher end squonk. He designed this to have the look and function of a high ends device. Well it does not look bad I confess. It has an interchangeable panel - you can purchase other colours - eventually. Bear in mind I received the prototype.
After I tested it and took photos they sent an extra 510 pin for a regular non-squonk device and an ultem beauty ring.

Starting with the mod. It hits hard. It comes with a .2 ohm coil (they say .18 but mine were higher). They are calling this a mech device. But it has a switchfet or something under that panel inside. It is five clicks on/off. I ran my battery down to 3.5 volts and it was still hitting hard! So it functions for sure. It has a solid feel about it. It's heavy. It is likely zinc/aluminum alloy I'm guessing. Regardless it is well put together. No panel rattle (which I get from some very expensive mech squonks) and a smooth throw on the button.

The bottle is good and bad. It is hard baby. Not a nice soft squonk bottle. and it is proprietary. Like the Pico. Same type of metal tube. The good is it does not leak. Truly. Almost zero leakage when filling up there bottle. But you have to press that bottle hard and a few times. My coils dried up quickly (of course it is a low ohm coil).

So what about that arty? Tobhino? Nothing like a Tobh, lol. It's a single coil post less deck. Post holes are slits and a little small TBH. But I did get fused claptons in with some fiddling. It has decent flavour - not at all bad. But if you over squonk it will spit. It's a small bugger. But I'm I'm used to small RDAs for squinting. So for me it was not an issue.

WISMEC LUXOTIC Squonk Kit Comes With :
1 x Wismec LUXOTIC BF BOX
1 x Tobhino BF RDA
2 x E-liquid Bottle
2 x Clapton Coil .18 each
1 x Cotton
1 x 810 Top Cap
2 x User Manual
1 x Warning Card
Spare Parts

The user manual is alright I suppose. I mean what is there to say about a mech. Slide panels on and off. Stick the bottle in? Clapton coils were decent but not spectacular. It's nice you can start gaping right away though. I did stick my O-atty on top too. It worked well. It does have a spring 510 so attys sit nicely. It is not the standard wismec 510 - it's a squonk 510. Seems pretty solid so far. Bear in mind mech 5120s work differently from the standard wismec 510s. No soldering needed but it has a chip. And a switchfet ...

ZB49hIZ.jpg

Parameters:
LUXOTIC BF BOX:
Size: 43.2*25.1*76.7mm
Weight: 124.6g
Thread type: 510 spring loaded connector
Cell type: high-rate 18650 cell
Max output wattage: 100W

Tobhino BF RDA:
Height: 28.7mm
Diameter: 22mm
Weight: 18.9g
Decorative ring
Height: 5.4mm
Diameter: 25mm

Comes with choice of three panels: a honeycomb translucent green, a honeycomb ultem and a resin.

So would I buy this? Maybe ... I have thirteen squonks in the house currently. It is nicer than a few of them and it is not going to be expensive. I showed this around a few vape shops. Vapers on the whole liked it a lot. We are talking experienced guys. So ... take what you will. If the bottle or switchfet are issues avoid this. For me they are niggling cons but the mod has a lot of pros.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm I wonder if it uses the same bottle as the Disguiser squonk kit.
Same type bottle but different size than either the Pico or Kanger bottles.

the Disguiser squonk bottle is a few mm shorter than the pico bottle and a bit fatter.
And none are to be found anywhere.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice review! Appreciate it. Looks nice, reassuring that the 510 wont be an issue. But why, oh why the propriety bottle?

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Looks cool, I've given up on wismec. I won't ever purchase another one as long as I'm vaping. I like the nc1&2 and actually like the mods they make but I kid you not ever fucking wismec bar the crickets have some serious problems.

Also, what's with the 5 clicks but still striving to be unregulated... I hate that about the nc2 I wish they would have made the NC2 with the ability to run both series and parallel unregulated, no pot. That would have truly sleek

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mosfet means never having to say your sorry dirty switch is causing misfires.
5 clicks helps to prevent torches in your pocket.

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
This is what we use to call a mechanical mech mod. No one really uses that term anymore. But, in any event it looks pretty cool. I've been bonkers for squonkers these past few months and I could see potentially adding this one to my collection.

Great review as always, no bias just cause we're related, I know yo know your gear better than most.

As for RDAs I need a deep well dripping or squonking, I have fat thumb and always over drip ... lol I think the switch get is pretty cool, but I dog the crossover mods.

Have you tried any other RDAs?

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've used three different RDAs on out. No problems at all and minimal voltage drop.

I've used three different RDAs on out. No problems at all and minimal voltage drop.

Do not mean to bump this from so long ago, but I recently bought one and noticed an issue. I actually sold the tobhino the second I bought it because someone else wanted it and I wanted the mod, so it worked out. And I was thinking how awesome my Wasp Nano would look on it. However it didn't. And neither did my Hadlay. My Vandy Vape RDAs worked, but I tried a few tanks (Wotofo) and they didn't.

Is it mine or is it just a really deep 510? I bought the mod on travel and won't be back to that area for a few days. I was hoping maybe someone else noticed this and it's not just mine.

VU Sponsors