Become a Patron!

First Freehand Fused Clapton (pic)

mgalyan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys...

Decided to try making a fused Clapton freehand for the first time.

I can tell 36g is better for the wrap, and I didn't get the wraps nearly tight enough, but I think it would still vape ok. Unfortunately, I have nothing with big enough post holes to try it.

It's kernel is 26g Kanthal x2 and the wrap is 32g Kanthal.

I'll definitely buy some fishing swivels next time, but with a little practice I bet I could get decent at freehand.

Mocked up a little 5 wrap just to see what it looks like...

p5HTyPL.jpg

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey guys...

Decided to try making a fused Clapton freehand for the first time.

I can tell 36g is better for the wrap, and I didn't get the wraps nearly tight enough, but I think it would still vape ok. Unfortunately, I have nothing with big enough post holes to try it.

It's kernel is 26g Kanthal x2 and the wrap is 32g Kanthal.

I'll definitely buy some fishing swivels next time, but with a little practice I bet I could get decent at freehand.

Mocked up a little 5 wrap just to see what it looks like...

p5HTyPL.jpg
Nice job...!

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lately I've been thinking about putting it out there to the world that I freehand. No context, just a statement on a t-shirt or bumper sticker. I just want people on the street to know that I freehand every day. Sometimes twice if I have it in me! Spread awareness. There's no shame in it, though people don't often speak of it. When you're in a tough spot, sometimes you just gotta freehand and get it done. Everybody does it at some point in their lives and that's just fine! It's okay to use your hand if you want.

These terms... ...maybe I'm just not quite right. So many vaping terms just sound wrong to me.

Aaaanyway... ...cool to see someone using the freehand technique. It seems to be pretty rare these days. I can do fused claptons with or without swivels and admittedly, using swivels is less demanding as well as more consistent, but I first learned by freehanding and I still find it more satisfying for standard and fused claptons. You don't need swivels to get perfect fused claptons. It's just more efficient. I think it's something worth at least getting a feel for. That way you always have that to fall back on when you don't have access to a swivel setup. Some tips for ya below.

Success really comes down to a few simple things: the angle of your grip, the tension on your wire, and the calluses on your fingers.

If you go clockwise, then you wanna rely on your thumb to keep the wire in the groove, with your index finger supporting it - thumb almost parallel to the wire, with index more angled, but both fingers at an even height. I personally have an easier time getting the wraps tight going counter (the thumb provides more stable support, which is crucial) - index makes contact closer to the outer edge of the tip, core wire angled more perpendicular to the fingernails with your thumb slightly above the index. From there, you just have to tweak the pitch of your first index and thumb joints to find the pinch that gives you the tightest wraps. Kinda gotta feel it out.

Tension is another thing. It's needed for the swivel technique, but can really mess you up with freehand. If you have a lot of clean, un-carpeted floor, then try tying your outer wire to a doorknob or something, walking the spool back about 20ft, and putting a little tension on your wire. You just want to stretch it out. Don't tug. Just apply even tension until you feel the spool come towards you a tad. Clip the lead at the spool and start with your doorknob side. You now have a long, slack outer wire to work with and feed to the core.

Other than that, it just takes practice. Once you get into the groove (literally and figuratively,) you can easily get tight, consistent wraps.

Another thing that helped me initially... ...sit really close to the drill with your back straight. It's much easier to keep your hands steady when they're closer to your body. Posture is more important than it seems. Just make sure the wire isn't gonna catch you in the eye. Hell, just getting smacked on the arm sucks.

Good luck! Remember to have fun with it. Take breaks if you get frustrated. The thing with freehand is that if you're inadvertantly doing something even sorta wrong, it completely doesn't work. You really have to be deliberate and problem solve or it fails every time.

I would recommend swivels for many reasons, even though I like freehanding. It's the harder way, but it's not so difficult that you can't perfect it in the meantime. But still, get swivels for when you start want to start making the more advanced and exotic wires. If you take to multi-wire coiling, it WILL happen and you will need swivels. Might as well start practicing with them and perfecting your rig before you even really need it.

Last edited:

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its easy freehand, its just down to how you hold the wire. If you hold it between finger and thumb the right way it is just as easy as a swivel setup. Pretty much how Kent Hill shows here but I press the thumb up a bit more myself.

A few goes and you will have it down, do shorter (1 coil) wire lengths first then work up.
:)

...yeah I just did one for reference, when I do it I cant see the wire at all - its all inbetween my finger and thumb.

Last edited:

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My grip it n rip it method :)

Bahaha, I thought I was the only jackass who freehanded like that. I tired it the TM way in the beginning but I could never stay in the groove at any workable speed. I think my hands aren't steady enough to hold that position without any support from something other than a strand of wire that's finer than a human hair. Eventually I thought to myself "Screw this, I'mma just grab the sumbitch." I never thought for a second that it would work, but in losing my patience, I somehow regained my sanity.

Seems silly to me now. If you want the wire to stay in place, the most immediate and intuitive solution is to simply hold it in place. *windchimes*

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its nice an simple and you soon get a feel for it grip wise. It also helps to keep the cores from twisting too much because of opposing forces being more even. Maybe, just maybe he is the only one that doesn't do it that way :eek:

mgalyan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow thanks everyone for the feedback and support! This forum really is a cool place. Almost glad my Cuboid is a POS and lead me here.

My Griffin clone and Tsunami clones are showing Ready to Ship on fasttech, so it won't be long until I can mount some up. I also ordered a little 8-spec pre-made coil kit with some various common coils.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/4507100

Pre-made coils aren't really my thing. I'm big into DIY and sorta tweaking, modifying, etc. Big nerd I guess. Also planning to try DIY'ing my juice. I've never been able to afford premium juice, just Mt. Baker, which I'd say based on others feedback, is probably mid-range at best. I found http://e-liquid-recipes.com/, which is awesome, and you can get a liter of 100mg/ml nic base for like 40-ish, which makes a TON of juice at 10mg/ml.

I love to cook (went to culinary school), so blending my own juice should be really fun as well as rewarding. It would also cut my monthly juice costs by about 40% or so, based on my math. It will allow me to try some flavor combinations that have been out of my price range, so I'm very excited to try new recipes.

Going to be a fun summer. :)

Last edited:

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thats a bunch of coils, enough to last you months...but once you start twisting wire then coils rarely last long because you wanna twist something else up ha ha :D I don't think there is anything wrong with ready-made coils it's just that they dont "ready-made'' anything I use myself. I tend to use different wire types for core and wraps and a bigger AWG difference between the two. 26AWG I would usually wrap with 34 to 38AWG but maybe thats because I use mechs as often as regulated mods. 26/32 all Ka1 is a bit slow ramping when your battery voltages start to drop.

mgalyan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thats a bunch of coils, enough to last you months...but once you start twisting wire then coils rarely last long because you wanna twist something else up ha ha :D I don't think there is anything wrong with ready-made coils it's just that they dont "ready-made'' anything I use myself. I tend to use different wire types for core and wraps and a bigger AWG difference between the two. 26AWG I would usually wrap with 34 to 38AWG but maybe thats because I use mechs as often as regulated mods. 26/32 all Ka1 is a bit slow ramping when your battery voltages start to drop.

Yeah I'll probably never use half of those coils. I'm going to sound like a novice, but..

I'm used to my Goliath at about 40 watts on a single 26 gauge KA1 standard 9 wraps dual coil. About a week ago I decided to try twisting up some 28 gauge. Just did a simple 3 wire twist until it snapped. Wrapped it, and slapped it in, and must say, at 65 watts it's still rocking my world..

PaEqTUE.jpg

slADBlK.jpg

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It looks good to me twisted cores can be a bitch to wrap springy little @Ωçkers. My vaping habits cycle, one day I will like a genesis atty, wire mesh, 1.3Ω 15 watts another day I will need a dripper with dual mad coils at .17-.23Ω 75-100w....or anything in between those setups, there is no 'right way' to vape so you just go with it.

mgalyan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It looks good to me twisted cores can be a bitch to wrap springy little @Ωçkers. My vaping habits cycle, one day I will like a genesis atty, wire mesh, 1.3Ω 15 watts another day I will need a dripper with dual mad coils at .17-.23Ω 75-100w....or anything in between those setups, there is no 'right way' to vape so you just go with it.

If I had the gear, I think I'd be the same way. Of all the build tutorials I've watched recently, the wire that stands out to me is alien. It looks only slightly more difficult than a fused Clapton, but greatly improved performance. I'm looking forward to trying that one after I get some more wire and my attys in.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I had the gear, I think I'd be the same way. Of all the build tutorials I've watched recently, the wire that stands out to me is alien. It looks only slightly more difficult than a fused Clapton, but greatly improved performance. I'm looking forward to trying that one after I get some more wire and my attys in.

Aliens are a different league to fused claptons difficulty wise. While it is not super hard to get something alien-ish wrapped and dual core aliens are just difficult to wrap getting a triple core or more exotic alien wire that is tight and without kinks or loops requires either divine intervention or lots of practice and lots of wasted wire. The key skills are stretching the decored clapton the right amount for what you are trying to wrap and feeding it smoothly. I don't think either of those skills are intuitive you just have to waste some wire and keep trying.

You will be stoked when you get enough non-messed-up-kinked-or-looped alien wire to wrap a coil with though :)

zdawk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I thought you were referring to free hand as meaning no drill..... Anyone else do that?!? I have hours to waste at work some times (overnight shift comprised of a lot of sit and wait for the sun), feel like I'm hipster knitting or something... If I'm doing it totally by hand I prefer to make flat bastards using .8 ribbon wire just so it doesn't take quite as long.

mgalyan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not freehand...

Used part of a Kayfun chimney and a regular athletic sock around the wire spool, fed the wire through the elastic, and then through the top of the coil head.

24/32 KA1 fused clapton. Would prefer 26/36 N80, but don't have those atm. The jig I made is sooo easy.

(single Clapton shown with jig)
YorOSkh.jpg

9jYl7Zm.jpg

Last edited:

zdawk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
seems like it would just bounce all over the place?! but that coil turned out reeeeal nice! hope the sock was clean ;)

mgalyan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
seems like it would just bounce all over the place?! but that coil turned out reeeeal nice! hope the sock was clean ;)

It kind of does. Works best if you hold on to the ends of the wire. The sock was clean. I was trying to emulate what those "spool tamers" on Amazon do. Works pretty well actually. Would work even better with swivels. Going to buy some very soon.. As well as some smaller gauge wire for the wrap. Probably 36g nichrome.

mgalyan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll do a video and write a tutorial on how to do it once I get the other things I need / want.

Edit: you also get to leave the wrap wire on the spool. Not sure if that's really obvious.

Last edited:

mgalyan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Made these tonight playing around...

9RBe5th.jpg

VNtFfR6.jpg

Frame: 24/32 KA1 Clapton (x2), Fuse: 32g KA1

Found a cool trick to make spaced claptons using a little ring of wire, and was like.. whoa, I can do some cool stuff with these.

I'm going to make a video of my "Auto-Clapton" rig tomorrow hopefully, and I'll get it posted. If you can put on pants, you can do the auto-clapton. :)

Vapin_4_Real

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
These are damned nice for freehand. Nice job!

VU Sponsors