First DIY Attempt. Help Appreciated.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey everybody. I've decided that I would like to get into DIY liquid. Specifically, I would like to try to replicate Mt. Bakers candy cane flavor, but I would like it to be 100% vg (or as close as I can get).

I'm not really a fan of mint vapes, but strangely enough, this one has become my ADV. It's pretty sweet and doesn't have the harsh menthol flavor that a lot of other candy cane vapes tend to have. I think I could replicate it by combining a non-menthol peppermint flavor with a healthy dose of sweetener. Does anyone know where I can get these flavors in vg?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Hey everybody. I've decided that I would like to get into DIY liquid. Specifically, I would like to try to replicate Mt. Bakers candy cane flavor, but I would like it to be 100% vg (or as close as I can get).

I'm not really a fan of mint vapes, but strangely enough, this one has become my ADV. It's pretty sweet and doesn't have the harsh menthol flavor that a lot of other candy cane vapes tend to have. I think I could replicate it by combining a non-menthol peppermint flavor with a healthy dose of sweetener. Does anyone know where I can get these flavors in vg?

The absolute best candy cane flavor is made using Flavor West's Candy Cane. It's sweet peppermint candy, a little cool but NO menthol - exactly like real candy canes. It needs no sweetener. I collect mint flavors (but detest menthol!) and can guarantee, THIS is the one you want. 12% for 'standard' strength; 10% for lighter flavor, 15% for in-your-face St. Nicholas. It has always been my #1 standalone peppermint flavor. Oh, I use max VG, too.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The absolute best candy cane flavor is made using Flavor West's Candy Cane. It's sweet peppermint candy, a little cool but NO menthol - exactly like real candy canes. It needs no sweetener. I collect mint flavors (but detest menthol!) and can guarantee, THIS is the one you want. 12% for 'standard' strength; 10% for lighter flavor, 15% for in-your-face St. Nicholas. It has always been my #1 standalone peppermint flavor. Oh, I use max VG, too.
Thanks HIC. I'll definitely check it out!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Does anyone know where I can get these flavors in vg?

I posted last night while tired and overlooked this part. FW Candy Cane is PG-based flavoring. Is a 100% VG nic base with 10-15% flavoring that contains PG still too much for you?

If so, Nature's Flavors Organic Peppermint has 0 PG. It's a very sweet peppermint, a bit creamy, no menthol. It doesn't have much 'cool' to it, but a little TFA Koolada (like a drop per 5ml of a finished mix) can add a cool exhale. I find it almost too sweet in pure VG, and I have a big sweet tooth. Like FW, NF has been lousy about ingredient disclosure. I figure if you're concerned about PG, you might also want to know about that. In my experience, this one is not friendly with plastic tanks.

For full ingredient disclosure, FlavourArt's Peppermint fits the bill, but it's PG-based. The advantage over FW's is that it takes only 3% FA Peppermint to equal the strength of 10-12% FW Candy Cane. But FA Peppermint is slightly creamy, not as sweet, and not very 'cool'. Like the other two, no menthol here. You could to add sweetener (or 0.5% FA Meringue) and Koolada (drop per 5ml), but the creaminess can't be eliminated (or ignored like the slight creaminess in NF's).

So for perfect flavor: FW Candy Cane 10-12%
For zero PG: NF Organic Peppermint, perhaps a bit under 10%, plus maybe Koolada, but it will be sweeter and doesn't like plastic
For low PG: FA Peppermint 3-3.5%, plus something to sweeten and cool, but it will be creamier than real candy canes

(Personally, I don't like to compromise on flavor, so I use FW's and just limit my time with it to keep my VG consumption down.)

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I posted last night while tired and overlooked this part. FW Candy Cane is PG-based flavoring. Is a 100% VG nic base with 10-15% flavoring that contains PG still too much for you?

If so, Nature's Flavors Organic Peppermint has 0 PG. It's a very sweet peppermint, a bit creamy, no menthol. It doesn't have much 'cool' to it, but a little TFA Koolada (like a drop per 5ml of a finished mix) can add a cool exhale. I find it almost too sweet in pure VG, and I have a big sweet tooth. Like FW, NF has been lousy about ingredient disclosure. I figure if you're concerned about PG, you might also want to know about that. In my experience, this one is not friendly with plastic tanks.

For full ingredient disclosure, FlavourArt's Peppermint fits the bill, but it's PG-based. The advantage over FW's is that it takes only 3% FA Peppermint to equal the strength of 10-12% FW Candy Cane. But FA Peppermint is slightly creamy, not as sweet, and not very 'cool'. Like the other two, no menthol here. You could to add sweetener (or 0.5% FA Meringue) and Koolada (drop per 5ml), but the creaminess can't be eliminated (or ignored like the slight creaminess in NF's).

So for perfect flavor: FW Candy Cane 10-12%
For zero PG: NF Organic Peppermint, perhaps a bit under 10%, plus maybe Koolada, but it will be sweeter and doesn't like plastic
For low PG: FA Peppermint 3-3.5%, plus something to sweeten and cool, but it will be creamier than real candy canes

(Personally, I don't like to compromise on flavor, so I use FW's and just limit my time with it to keep my VG consumption down.)
Wow. Lot of great info here. Thanks! I'll have to do some research and I'll let you know what I end up with. Fwiw, I'm not allergic to pg or anything, but I do prefer to limit it (it seems to help my asthma, may be in my head). Gut reaction is to go with FW, hard to ignore such a rave review.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
HIC's candy cane with FW is awesome. if you are not against a little PG why dont you buy the flavor from MBV . and then there is the MBV and FW debate lol. maybe its all the same but you could get this and wouldnt have to try and replicate it, you could just buy it lol. you could make 150 ml of juice with this 15 ml of flavoring if you use it at 10 % and make your juice 10/90 pg/vg http://www.mtbakervapor.com/diy-supplies/flavorings/candy-cane-electronic-cigarette-flavoring/

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
HIC's candy cane with FW is awesome. if you are not against a little PG why dont you buy the flavor from MBV . and then there is the MBV and FW debate lol. maybe its all the same but you could get this and wouldnt have to try and replicate it, you could just buy it lol. you could make 150 ml of juice with this 15 ml of flavoring if you use it at 10 % and make your juice 10/90 pg/vg http://www.mtbakervapor.com/diy-supplies/flavorings/candy-cane-electronic-cigarette-flavoring/
Haha, true. I was originally going to just buy from mt baker, but I posted here to see if there was an all vg option. I'm considering the fw option based on hics recommendation. What's the debate? Is mbv the same as fw?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Haha, true. I was originally going to just buy from mt baker, but I posted here to see if there was an all vg option. I'm considering the fw option based on hics recommendation. What's the debate? Is mbv the same as fw?

I'd bet real money Mt. Baker is using FW Candy Cane. They do use other FW flavors. If you do it yourself, you know for sure, and you control the strength. Price might also be a consideration.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'd bet real money Mt. Baker is using FW Candy Cane. They do use other FW flavors. If you do it yourself, you know for sure, and you control the strength. Price might also be a consideration.
I'm going to go with FW and use it in my kayfun. Might try NF to drip at some point. Thanks for all your help! I'll follow up when I have results.

HeadinClouds said:

* Not sure how to do the copy and paste thing that automatically shows who said what. * If someone could tell me, I would appreciate it so much!

A fellow vaper told me that he only uses 100% VG with all natural extracts because PG releases trace amounts of formaldehyde when heated.. I'm so very new to all of this, so I would be so very grateful for any more info on this whole PG vs VG thing. When I first heard that PG carries the flavor, I made sure the PG ratio was at least 50% because I love the flavors as opposed to the clouds. When my friend said that PG releases trace amounts of formaldehyde, my eyebrow went up. I didn't know, and the trace amounts have to be so minute, I would hope they wouldn't have a horrid effect on our systems. We've not had a vape related death yet, so I'm thinking it must not be enough to kill us. Still, it makes me curious and a little concerned. Thanks for any feedback!

Thank you! I was thinking that we could choose just a section of someone's comment (just the part we are addressing) instead of the whole thing.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
A fellow vaper told me that he only uses 100% VG with all natural extracts because PG releases trace amounts of formaldehyde when heated.. I'm so very new to all of this, so I would be so very grateful for any more info on this whole PG vs VG thing. When I first heard that PG carries the flavor, I made sure the PG ratio was at least 50% because I love the flavors as opposed to the clouds. When my friend said that PG releases trace amounts of formaldehyde, my eyebrow went up. I didn't know, and the trace amounts have to be so minute, I would hope they wouldn't have a horrid effect on our systems. We've not had a vape related death yet, so I'm thinking it must not be enough to kill us. Still, it makes me curious and a little concerned. Thanks for any feedback!

Dr. Farsalinos is a name to know as far as research regarding the health effects of vaping. An intro to him: http://www.e-cigarette-summit.com/speaker/dr-konstantinos-farsalinos/

He mentioned that formaldehyde study here: http://www.ecigarette-research.com/web/index.php/2013-04-07-09-50-07/2014/162-nyt-formald

Describing his research: http://www.ecigarette-research.com/web/index.php/research/135-evaluation-of-the-cytotoxic

and here is his website with contact info: http://www.ecigarette-research.com/web/index.php

I avoid PG for an entirely different reason: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/possible-side-effects-of-vaping-and-ecigs.200/#post-12993 (post #2)

I hope some of that is the info you're looking for!

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Dr. Farsalinos is a name to know as far as research regarding the health effects of vaping. An intro to him: http://www.e-cigarette-summit.com/speaker/dr-konstantinos-farsalinos/

He mentioned that formaldehyde study here: http://www.ecigarette-research.com/web/index.php/2013-04-07-09-50-07/2014/162-nyt-formald

Describing his research: http://www.ecigarette-research.com/web/index.php/research/135-evaluation-of-the-cytotoxic

and here is his website with contact info: http://www.ecigarette-research.com/web/index.php

I avoid PG for an entirely different reason: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/possible-side-effects-of-vaping-and-ecigs.200/#post-12993 (post #2)

I hope some of that is the info you're looking for!

Great info HIC. Thanks!

Jgoss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thank you! I was thinking that I LOVE FRIED CHICKEN!!!!

You can actually hit reply, and then remove part of it by just deleting it. You just have to leave in the intro part, and the (quote) part at the end. You can also edit it at will, like I did with yours. DISCLAIMER!!! I have no idea if pammie loves fried chicken. LOL

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@HeadInClouds - Just mixed up two batches with vaperstek nic base and the juice is amazing! Just like mbv, but a little bit cleaner. I made one of the batches with a bit of saline. It had an interesting effect on the texture, but sort of mutes the flavor I might bump the flavor % up to 15 and keep using the saline. Thanks again for your help!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
@HeadInClouds - Just mixed up two batches with vaperstek nic base and the juice is amazing! Just like mbv, but a little bit cleaner. I made one of the batches with a bit of saline. It had an interesting effect on the texture, but sort of mutes the flavor I might bump the flavor % up to 15 and keep using the saline. Thanks again for your help!

Candy Cane? and what else? Just curious.... I'm glad you've had quick success!

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Candy Cane? and what else? Just curious.... I'm glad you've had quick success!
I did 12% fw candy cane, 5% saline, the rest vg. 6mg vaperstek vg nic base. The other batch I did the same minus the saline.
I also bought some tfa double ry4 and mixed in with my last 15 mls of TriBeCa to cut my nic in half and thicken it up a bit. Haven't tasted that one yet.
Next up, I'm going to get fa espresso, Vienna and Catalina cream, maybe their vanillas as well and experiment until I can get my ideal coffee vape (all this is base on your notes, btw).
I've seen others heap praise your way, and I would like to do the same. Thank you for everything! I think I'm hooked!

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
IMO, FA Vanillas are the best around. Vanilla Classic is my favorite.
That's what I've heard! I think I'll bite the bullet and get all three. My wife loves vanilla, so it will not go to waste.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good move, getting all three. I'd be lost without them! More details on how I use them over here.
Haha, thanks for the link. I actually checked out a bunch of your fa reviews yesterday (including these). Very useful notes.

VU Sponsors