Become a Patron!

First battery safety failure!

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Backstory: when I first started vaping with external batteries, I was very anal about battery safety and keeping wraps in check. But I've gotten lazy and suffered the consequences last night. I have two ampking 20700's that I use exclusively in my pulse BF. The wraps have gotten pretty crappy. I put one in the mod and within a couple of minutes it got HOT! I'm assuming it shorted out but I didn't get any smoke, sparks or melting. I took it out as soon as I noticed. Can I rewrap it and try to use it or is there too much risk? I definitely don't want to try to charge it and have a house fire

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Backstory: when I first started vaping with external batteries, I was very anal about battery safety and keeping wraps in check. But I've gotten lazy and suffered the consequences last night. I have two ampking 20700's that I use exclusively in my pulse BF. The wraps have gotten pretty crappy. I put one in the mod and within a couple of minutes it got HOT! I'm assuming it shorted out but I didn't get any smoke, sparks or melting. I took it out as soon as I noticed. Can I rewrap it and try to use it or is there too much risk? I definitely don't want to try to charge it and have a house fire

Thanks in advance

Price of battery cells compared to plastic surgery , says why risk it ,
Although it might be fine
Your obviously asking for reassurance

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Once they get HOT (I'm assuming you mean freakishly hot) they are toast.

If it's your only extra cell then you'd probably be fine to use it as a backup until the new one came as long as it charges normally.

I personally still wouldn't unless it was that battery or cigarettes

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I would Toss it for sure, it’s certainly not worth the risk.

If you need a replacement immediately, it would be worth running to a shop and getting a decent 18650, to use with the adapter until new 20700s can be bad.

You may also want to invest a dollar or two in some extra wraps to rewrap your cells when the wraps get torn.

Last edited:

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don’t THINK this was the battery’s fault, but I don’t KNOW it wasn’t the batteries fault
e439869e94431d59293247adc9801807.jpg

f9226007f402fcc77a16ebc598ac5761.jpg

So, even if the battery were salvageable, I’d chunk it and get some more...this was supposed to be the good iJoy 20700 (5-legged version).
Even if you don’t end up getting injured (like my situation), you’ll more than likely be in the market for a replacement mod along with batteries...so that’s $ down the drain that could’ve been avoided by tossing that sucker.

Do things by the book...just be sure that you are the author

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Without knowing the temperature of the cells exactly when it got hot impossible to say for sure if it is safe for use. As others have said when in doubt don't~!!

Temperatures of things you hold in your hands feel much hotter than what they are though. I had a MOD get real hot one day and for safeties sake and my own reassurance I checked the temperature of the cells with an Infrared Sensor. To my surprise they were barely over 100°F. So still well within safe operating range.

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I remembered that I have a couple of hg2's I think (the brownies). But stupid me threw out my adapter. I ended up trying a Blu disposable for work on Friday (it got me by but was in no way enjoyable) and my bro in law is lending me his innokin t18 kit until next Friday when I get some more batteries.

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I feel like this needed an update so here we go. I ordered a pack of wraps and insulators and I never realized they were so simple to apply to a battery! However the one battery that was messed up was completely useless after rewrapping it. My charger wouldn't recognize it, so it wouldn't even take a charge. For future reference, if anyone has doubts or concerns about rewrapping batteries, there is no reason to keep from doing it. Heck, my only regret is that I didn't get nicer wraps (I love the pickle Rick ones). I just wanted to get something basic and cheap in case I couldn't figure it out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Always amazes me how fast people forget how much they paid daily to smoke a 100% perishable product after a single use.

VU Sponsors