Become a Patron!

Firing minimum resistance on an MVP2, help pls

Junksie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have been using an MVP2 for the past few days, I have only had the tank that comes with it to use on top of it. (which is very muted and plain)
So today, I picked up an RDA from a local vape shop, the itaste fv, this thing is super sweet. Now, if I can only get it to fire with a dual coil set up. I am currently running one coil 1.3ohm, every time I attempt to add a second coil, I drop below the threshold that the MVP is capable of firing. My question is, (all I have is 28g kanthal.) Is it possible to create coils that will fire on this device with the kanthal I currently have. Keeping in mind, I exclusively vaped on a reo bottom fed atty exclusively so the way I typically make my coils are micro coils. Should I be making my coils differently? How long should each piece of kanthal be in a dual set up to NOT drop me below the devices threshold? Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Mtlblade

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
28 is probably a little to small to make a duel coil for the mvp. you will have to make 2 2.6ohm coils to fire it on the mvp

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dual coiling will cut the resistance of each coil in half...for example, two 3 ohm coils will not be 6 ohms...it will be 1.5 ohms...if you are using a single coil 1.3 ohm setup and you try to add a second 1.3 ohm coil, the resistance on your atty will be .65 which is too low for the MVP2 to fire...I've never tried lower than 1.3 on my MVP's but I'm thinking you can fire down to around 1 ohm or so on it...I'm sure others will be along shortly with better info...

robtest

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
1.2 - 1.3 ohms seems to be the limit in many 15watt vv/vw devices ... My Smok Zmax v.2 will sometimes take a 1.0 ...

You would probably need 30-32 gauge wire to really be effective with a RDA on your mod... I am new to those, but recently tried 10 loops of 28 and was getting a reading of 1.3ohms but couldn't get it to fire reliably on my zmax...

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I use mine to build, and it will fire to .7 or .8, and reads to at least .6, but won't fire. I ran kayfuns daily at 1.2 around 8 watts I think when I used mine a ton.

If you want to sub ohm get a mech. The mvp only has a 3 amp output, so even if it's fires at .7 it's not truly pushing the power. I've tried it briefly, and put it on a mech and it's no comparison. It's an excellent device, the mvp, but not for sub ohm dual coil setups. It simply can't handle it.

The .7 I fired on it briefly was a single coil by the way. Again, great device, just not made for sub ohming.

DB Cigs

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree with the 30, or maybe even 32 ga wire use for this model, I believe that the limit is .08 ohm minimum for the MVP 2.0 ( but don't quote me on that ). It really is an excellent device for 1.0 ohm, or higher coils, but maybe you might consider a mechanical mod with a lower cutoff? Just my $0.02

Junksie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the helpful info, while cleaning the garage yesterday I found a spool of 32g kanthal. Winner winner... Although, now I will be looking for a mech to stick this RDA on. Hmmmm, so many mechanicals to choose from!

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The MVP is great for running a single coil RTA or RDA. Lots of people use a Kayfun on theirs. Dual coil, unless higher Ω, is where you run into issues. I can't even run a dual coil dripper with a worthwhile build on my Provari.

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had a twisted 32ga coil in my kayfun at 1.4ohms that i used on my mvp2 for a while. ran it all day anywhere from 8watts to 11(max on mvp2) like a champ.

patjar43

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
.8 is the cut off on mvp2 but fires that very weakly. On building if you run dual it cuts the coil ohm in half. If all you have is MVP build two 2ohm coils for a 1 ohm resistance. 28 gauge is about 18 wraps per coil. Good luck

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
1.3ohms is really the lowest it will effectively fire, according to ohms law and the min/max output of the mvp2.

realsis

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got my mvp2 to fire a 1.0 coil. Any lower and she won't fire at all. I wanted to be able to go lower and get more wattage so I bought a dna30. Now I can go to.3
But I'm certain mvp2 will run a1.0. Hope this helps

VU Sponsors