Become a Patron!

Finally!! Figured out how to make aliens!!

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
So I have been fighting to make these for about 2 years now... Wasted many many spools of wire on failures. Last night I tried it one more time and DAMN if they didnt work! Granted there were a few little burbles in the wrapping, but 99% of the strand worked out. three cores of 26G Ka1 wrapped with 36Ni80. pretty happy with these. Then this morning I got bored and tried cores of 28G SS wrapped with 40 NI. those worked too, but I kinda forgot to take a pic of those.

My camera pretty much sucks for close up shots, but hey, weve all seen aliens before right??

Built

Glowing

Wicked

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Not sure why it looks like the wrappings are so loose... They werent before wrapping the coils. I dunno, at least I figured it out, now I can keep working at them and perfect them. There was a time when I couldnt make simple single core claptons.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's easier if you have a fast drill. If you have even tension on every core you can just get it started and spin at 3000rpm. Keep the same tension and a slight lead and it'll pretty much wrap it's self.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Yea.... Had the tension fine, Speed?? No, I had to go SLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW....... As in I was able to see the keychain spinning that I used to clamp the cores flat. when I sped up thats when I got a burble.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If it's wobbly and you need a keyring the cores just aren't set up properly.

Bind and fold your cores like this to hook the swivel then pull them straight to the very end and glue right in front of your fingers. Bind the rest and put it in the drill.
If you need to add a ribbon slider then so be it but adding stuff like keyrings is going to make it really hard to make clean aliens because the cores weren't right to begin with if you needed to add the keyring. The secret to making them clean is to go full speed with barely any tension so when you get to the end the wraps are perfect and the cores don't have any twist.
6db7cab5ddcc0988954788e48ad07ad5.jpg
d02bf646a2546a2544d0cf7abd25f80b.jpg

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Congrats bro I still haven't been able to do it and I've been building for years lol
Every now and them I'll try them but usually I'll just do fused claptons because it starts to piss me off when the cores bunch up. I'll try what whiteowl said for next time.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The cores will only bunch up if there is slack in them. The Alien wrap will actually keep it flat if you let it which is why an alien is easier than a 3 core clapton.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Congrats matey that's awesome! How did you coil these up? did you use for instance the coil master jig? If so wrap them by hand next time I find the screw with the nurling on catches the wraps and spreads them on the bigger builds happened so me on my first go to like that

Also as whiteowl said go a bit faster on the drill helps wrap them tighter and with more tension so they don't space out when wrapping

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Fold the begin and the end of the wire over and clamp it so the outer wrap can't get loose during coiling.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I have been fighting to make these for about 2 years now... Wasted many many spools of wire on failures. Last night I tried it one more time and DAMN if they didnt work! Granted there were a few little burbles in the wrapping, but 99% of the strand worked out. three cores of 26G Ka1 wrapped with 36Ni80. pretty happy with these. Then this morning I got bored and tried cores of 28G SS wrapped with 40 NI. those worked too, but I kinda forgot to take a pic of those.

My camera pretty much sucks for close up shots, but hey, weve all seen aliens before right??

Built

Glowing

Wicked
Looking good.....

Practice makes perfect..... You know how many times I experimented before I could make good sex ......

And I'm still learning....

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors