figure 8 coils?

Bryan92081

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone have any experience with figure 8 coils? Are they just a novelty coil? I was actually wondering if I split a longer coil build into a figure 8 would it shorten the ramp up time or does it matter since its still the same amount of wire?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I personally think that everything aside from the single strand micro or open coil is a novelty. Most that use novelty coils will swear on several dead relatives that the flavour and vapour production is superb....personally I think they WANT it to be so is more on target. That being said....as a veteran of a few cloud comps...MOST that compete use single strand micros...or the occasional parallel.

cad99

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I personally think that everything aside from the single strand micro or open coil is a novelty. Most that use novelty coils will swear on several dead relatives that the flavour and vapour production is superb....personally I think they WANT it to be so is more on target. That being said....as a veteran of a few cloud comps...MOST that compete use single strand micros...or the occasional parallel.
+1

Living the dream one nightmare at a time.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ive made them and used them, they take a little longer to ramp up, I could not tell any difference in a dual coil or a dual 8, other than the dual 8 was a little more work and took longer to heat up. I no longer make them or use them.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have tried a few novelty coils but I can never make them compare to a simple macro or micro (#TeamMacro). Maybe I am bad at them, and I can imagine that some of them do perform better. But the only one I will still try every now and then is a twisted and I always mess it up.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Ive made them and used them, they take a little longer to ramp up, I could not tell any difference in a dual coil or a dual 8, other than the dual 8 was a little more work and took longer to heat up. I no longer make them or use them.
I think the novelty coils are great fun to build....and I do in fact try new ones out...but I still find myself going back to single micros. We just dont know till we try things!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
@Celtic Fog taught me this coil....it mutes the flavour a wee bit...but the clouds are insane.
CNzEHct.jpg

Bryan92081

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think the novelty coils are great fun to build....and I do in fact try new ones out...but I still find myself going back to single micros. We just dont know till we try things!
Well that's the truth. I think my smoking habit has turned into a vape hobby.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
it takes a car battery to run it though, it sits at .000014 ohms and can cook a turkey in 40 seconds flat....hehehehehe
Ehmm...those were pigeons, nae turkeys sir

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
my bad lol.

This may be a little off topic but I was wondering if yall have any recommendations for best sub ohm cloud chasing duel coil build?

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I like to build funky coils. I snap a pick vape for a few hours, the I put my normal .8ish standard coil back on.

Bryan92081

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like to build funky coils. I snap a pick vape for a few hours, the I put my normal .8ish standard coil back on.
Yeah I've been doing a lot of that also, without the pics. Seems like every time I try another "best coil in the entire universe" I end up with something, that as far as I can tell doesn't perform any better than a micro coil does. I must admit I do enjoy building though. So no harm done. I did build a 1mm .2ohm 24 gauge dual coil that I'm liking pretty good. Its a bastard to wick but I don't seem to get as many dry hits, if that makes any sense.

Bryan92081

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Man I hope that was immediately following a massive storm.
I don't know about a massive storm, but I think I remember the day he built it. There was so much fog in the air I couldn't see to drive to work!

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yeah I've been doing a lot of that also, without the pics. Seems like every time I try another "best coil in the entire universe" I end up with something, that as far as I can tell doesn't perform any better than a micro coil does. I must admit I do enjoy building though. So no harm done. I did build a 1mm .2ohm 24 gauge dual coil that I'm liking pretty good. Its a bastard to wick but I don't seem to get as many dry hits, if that makes any sense.

If you like your dual, try a sleeper. You should love it. I likes my dual coils, did my first decent sleeper and it maid a world of difference.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry, OP, its not my fault, my mom dropped me on my head a few times throughout my childhood...:D
I've seen several of your other posts. I suspect she still pops by on weekends to do it, as well.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
She lives far away now, so she just sends a text that say "boink" and I do the dirty work for her....

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
She lives far away now, so she just sends a text that say "boink" and I do the dirty work for her....
Lol. Don't lose that sense of humor when your manual dexterity finally goes from the dain bramage.

rsimpson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
OMG, this thread had me laughing so hard I couldn't take a vape!

I can't comment on the figure 8 but I can say I tend to stick with simpler coils running around .4 ohms for the most part, generally duals but some parallel builds as well. Probably the most complicated I do is a parallel using both 28 ga and 24 ga kanthal. I've tried all kinds of twisted coils and such but I don't like to invest that much time into all of the prep work required to hopefully get a good build. I've noticed that most of the folks that push out the super complicated builds jump designs fairly quick which leads me to believe they like to tinker more than they like to vape.

As a general rule, I try to say away from builds that require a tesla coil to power them or that require an RDA made out of a piece of 6" cast iron sewer pipe fired by a remote trigger

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OMG, this thread had me laughing so hard I couldn't take a vape!

I can't comment on the figure 8 but I can say I tend to stick with simpler coils running around .4 ohms for the most part, generally duals but some parallel builds as well. Probably the most complicated I do is a parallel using both 28 ga and 24 ga kanthal. I've tried all kinds of twisted coils and such but I don't like to invest that much time into all of the prep work required to hopefully get a good build. I've noticed that most of the folks that push out the super complicated builds jump designs fairly quick which leads me to believe they like to tinker more than they like to vape.

As a general rule, I try to say away from builds that require a tesla coil to power them or that require an RDA made out of a piece of 6" cast iron sewer pipe fired by a remote trigger
Lol, who has the money for a 'remote trigger' these days? We're vaping primitive style around here bud. We just push the button with a broom handle from around the other side of the door frame.

Bryan92081

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lol, who has the money for a 'remote trigger' these days? We're vaping primitive style around here bud. We just push the button with a broom handle from around the other side of the door frame.
Hey, that's a lot better idea than wrapping my head in wet towel, putting on an asbestos apron and just going for it.

Jwilzz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Parallels are just as good as single strands in my opinion, if not better depending on the build. :)

VU Sponsors