Become a Patron!

Fell asleep with the crock pot on

ScreamQueen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I finally have some good recipes that I've made, tested, and tinkered with over the last few weeks. I happily whipped up three 30 ml. bottles of 70/30 zero nic, fruity, cream-based deliciousness, feeling quite proud of myself, plopped them into the crock pot last night...and promptly fell asleep.

To add insult to injury, I accidentally had the temp setting to low instead of warm, which kept the water at 200° instead of 150°. The caps were off in super hot water for a full 12 hours. They all still smell very good and strong, but I'm concerned that I may have killed off a good bit of flavor simply due to the amount of time and high heat they were exposed to. I would think they would be salvageable with the addition of a bit more flavor, but I'm just not sure.

Did I kill my juice, or just learn a lesson about investing in a shut-off timer?

ScreamQueen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I wound up testing out the juice with the lightest flavoring profile after it cooled, and it is a bit more flat than the initial test batch. I suppose there's no harm in adding the flavors back in at 1% at a time and tasting after each. I started out with:

Strawberry Ripe TFA - 4%
Strawberries & Cream CAP - 2%
Sweet Cream TFA - 2%
Dairy/Milk TFA - 1%

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I finally have some good recipes that I've made, tested, and tinkered with over the last few weeks. I happily whipped up three 30 ml. bottles of 70/30 zero nic, fruity, cream-based deliciousness, feeling quite proud of myself, plopped them into the crock pot last night...and promptly fell asleep.

To add insult to injury, I accidentally had the temp setting to low instead of warm, which kept the water at 200° instead of 150°. The caps were off in super hot water for a full 12 hours. They all still smell very good and strong, but I'm concerned that I may have killed off a good bit of flavor simply due to the amount of time and high heat they were exposed to. I would think they would be salvageable with the addition of a bit more flavor, but I'm just not sure.

Did I kill my juice, or just learn a lesson about investing in a shut-off timer?
Get a timer. Easy fix. Temps above 180 will usually cause some flavor loss in my experience. I use an ultrasonic cleaner with a heater, 140 Degrees plus 3 30 minute cycles and my juice is just about ready, a week at room temp and they are ready to go.

ScreamQueen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Get a timer. Easy fix. Temps above 180 will usually cause some flavor loss in my experience. I use an ultrasonic cleaner with a heater, 140 Degrees plus 3 30 minute cycles and my juice is just about ready, a week at room temp and they are ready to go.

Agreed. I had a forehead slap moment when I woke up and my kitchen smelled like heaven. A cheap timer, whoda thought :rolleyes:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Don't feel too bad.

Years and years ago, I went to make hard boiled eggs and fell asleep.

Went back into the kitchen and found a totally empty pot. No water, no eggs no nothing still on the burner.

Then I started to find little tiny bits, pieces and chunks of eggs all over the kitchen and dining area.

Apparently, eggs can and will explode.

ScreamQueen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've left a custard overnight by mistake, and it was pure deliciousness the next day! But for sure some flavors would fade with too much time/heat - it's a trial and error thing.

I'm hoping for the former, AmandaD. I'd love nothing more than to get home, test the juice again, and to find that I've bungled my way to the perfect blend, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Either way, thank you all for the advice. I really am loving these forums!

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't feel too bad.

Went back into the kitchen and found a totally empty pot. No water, no eggs no nothing still on the burner.

Then I started to find little tiny bits, pieces and chunks of eggs all over the kitchen and dining area.

I can confirm this. When I was younger I was almost taken out by flying projectile eggs one day after school while watching TV. It's similar to when someone knockes the valve off a gas bottle.. lol

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Don't feel too bad.

HA, I had a batch boil off to much water and start scorching.. fucking god awful as hell stench.

Brandontf8o8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
HA, I had a batch boil off to much water and start scorching.. fucking god awful as hell stench.
I experienced this one lol. Came home from work and my stoner roommate passed out while trying to make egg salad sandwiches.

Took weeks to get the smell out

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors