Become a Patron!

FDA CHIEF EFFECTIVELY TELLS CONGRESS NICOTINE IS NOT ADDICTIVE

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
'But someone who is physically dependent on opioids as a result of the treatment of pain but who is not craving more or harming themselves or others is not addicted.'

Ahh but we are the ones being punished for others abuse of opoids.

Yup, and on top of that, the government has decided that fibro people don't need opiods at all. Even if my doctors say I do.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It doesn't even liberate me from pain but makes it a bit more tolerable. I'm stuck using gigantic ibuprofen now that doesn't do shit. :(
Ever heard of kratom? It helps me daily to get out of bed from lower back pain. It also helps with anxiety and stress too. I'm not sure if it would help for fibromyalgia.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Crock of sh*t.

Crock of shit that nicotine isn't addictive? It's actually not very inaccurate.
Numerous studies have shown that nicotine by itself is no more addictive then Caffeine.
It only becomes highly addictive in cigs because of all the additional chemicals added to them to amplify the effects of the nicotine and to alter your brain chemistry so you can develop a strong addiction very quickly. Look up MAO Inhibitors.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ever heard of kratom? It helps me daily to get out of bed from lower back pain. It also helps with anxiety and stress too. I'm not sure if it would help for fibromyalgia.

I have, yes. I can't take it, as I also take low dose naltrexon. So even if I could take opioids, I couldn't because the naltrexon would counteract most of the effects. But that's beside the point. I should have the choice depending on what my doctor says, not some idiot bureaucrat.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I've quit trying to get down to 6mg. I'm happy at 8-9mg. I did discover that I can't drip 6mg anymore. Have to mix some 3mg for my new Gorge rda. Thought 6mg would be okay since it's single coil, but no (head spins were fun for a little while tho).

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have, yes. I can't take it, as I also take low dose naltrexon. So even if I could take opioids, I couldn't because the naltrexon would counteract most of the effects. But that's beside the point. I should have the choice depending on what my doctor says, not some idiot bureaucrat.
Ahh I see. And you're right. Everyone should have a choice.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just went to a 3mg a few weeks ago from 6. It's not bad. A lot smoother hit but I definitely vape more. Definitely..

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I just went to a 3mg a few weeks ago from 6. It's not bad. A lot smoother hit but I definitely vape more. Definitely..

I vaped more at 6mg and was never satisfied. Just incredibly irritated. lol

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The correct way of saying it would be "Nicotine is not addictive in never tobacco users"

I have yet to find someone who tried the patch or gum that never used tobacco before and became helplessly addicted to nicotine.

Shit, I can't even get someone in tobacco control to DEFINE "addiction" and apply the definition to tobacco use.

It's because they can't.

No one is robbing liquor stores or stealing from their own mother to get another hit .... of tobacco.

But I have seen on many occasions a cr*ckhead or dope fiend go without cigarettes in order to get another $10 bag of their poison of choice.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Another reason why NRT doesn't work is because a doctor is attempting to cure you of your disease of addiction.

Most smokers know that they aren't sick, they have no disease. so they don't want "treatment" for something that they do for enjoyment.

Which brings me to why vaping does work.
You are making a choice to use a better product for your enjoyment on your own.
No doctor is involved, no disease is being cured.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

You could buy a bottle of 6mg and a bottle of 3mg and just mix them together.
See how that works for a few weeks.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No one is robbing liquor stores or stealing from their own mother to get another hit .... of tobacco.

Well, that's not true.

Good hell, I've seen plenty of the robbery videos on cop/justice/most wanted shows of people jacking a store and going straight to the cigs. Hell, as a cashier at a gas station in my younger years the only shop lifter I caught was stealing cigs. :p

These are just the articles at the top of one google search.

Man robs store of money, cigarettes at gunpoint - FOX10 News | WALA

Man robs Providence drug store of cigarettes, cash - News ...

Man robs store of money, cigarettes at gunpoint - WECT TV6-WECT ...

Man Tries To Rob Convenience Store For A Pack Of Cigarettes Using ...

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I believe nic addiction is real. Maybe because I started smoking so young (8) it is different. All I know is I want it, tho I know if I had to I could live without it. I do not think the want would go away if that were the case.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Well, that's not true.

Good hell, I've seen plenty of the robbery videos on cop/justice/most wanted shows of people jacking a store and going straight to the cigs. Hell, as a cashier at a gas station in my younger years the only shop lifter I caught was stealing cigs. :p

I seriously doubt that these robberies were because the robber was out of cigarettes and he needed one really bad.
Yes, there are stupid people in this world.
I know people (addicts) that would steal an aluminum ladder to scrap it.
Most robberies involving cigarettes are because the thieves can sell cigarettes.
Especially in places like New York where they are over $100 a carton.
It's more lucrative in NY to steal all the cigarettes then it is to empty the register.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Also that last one may be a case of someone with a psychiatric disorder.
Trying to steal a pack of cigarettes with a pillow?
He could have at least tried a fly swatter:giggle:

http://fmobserver.com/man-tries-to-...for-a-pack-of-cigarettes-using-only-a-pillow/

Henry Doofus?

You really think there is a guy named Henery Doofus in this world?

This is obvious satire

Like THIS is a real story? :facepalm:

Fargo, ND – Henry Doofus was booked on charges of felonious attempted robbery after he tried to rob a convenience store while only carrying a pillow as a weapon.

The store clerk, Richard Stonewall, at first thought it was a big joke when Mr. Doofus demanded a pack of Marlboro Light 100s while threatening to hit the clerk with the pillow.

Once it was determined that this was certainly not a joke, Richard Stonewall pulled out a large baseball bat (after pressing the police emergency call button) and then began to soundly pummel Henry Doofus until the police showed up.

Police officers on the scene found a bloodied Doofus on the floor and then carefully placed the pillow into a clear plastic bag as evidence.

Attorneys for the convenience store will be seeking a life sentence for Henry Doofus just to send a message to future potential would-be doofuses, however, they are in favor of the Doofmeister having his pillow in prison upon which to sleep and dream about that pack of Marlboro Light 100s.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Well, that's not true.

Actually when I was a teen I do remember raiding the change tray for cigarette money:facepalm:

and they were only $1.50 a pack then!:facepalm::facepalm:

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Well, that's not true.

I would say it's pretty rare, at least compared to crimes that people commit in order to get other drugs.

Thing is with most other drugs, the crime isn't direct, because you can't walk into a store with a gun and demand some horse, crack, or crank from behind the counter, thus those crimes tend to involve other items first, and that makes the underlying motive much more difficult to establish.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would say it's pretty rare, at least compared to crimes that people commit in order to get other drugs.
Thing is with most other drugs, the crime isn't direct, because you can't walk into a store with a gun and demand some horse, crack, or crank from behind the counter, thus those crimes tend to involve other items first, and that makes the underlying motive much more difficult to establish.

You've never been to prison, I assume.

I think my experience in such things is much broader than most. When (some) people don't have money to buy cigs, they'll do some fucked up shit. Believe it or not. They are fed and otherwise taken care of, yet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I get the general premise that nicotine addiction is not as strong as a drug addiction, but to claim no addiction and a complete lack of nefarious intent for cigs due to addiction is incorrect. It's just,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,less. In other words, the scale for nefarious intent and nicotine addiction vs drugs is relative to the cost and availability of cigs vs drugs and how pleasant/unpleasant people feel while using or cleaning out. It may be more prominent in a drug addict, but it still exists in the nicotine addict.

And, people are more inclined to give someone money for cigs than give someone money for drugs. So, of course there will be less crime. But that does not mean it doesn't happen. People do steal for nicotine addiction.

The cost and availability issue is much more pronounced in prison as a much higher percentage of the population can't afford cigs, so they are less available. So, fewer people can "bum" cigs thus cig nefarious intent goes up.

Last edited:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually when I was a teen I do remember raiding the change tray for cigarette money:facepalm:
and they were only $1.50 a pack then!:facepalm::facepalm:

I've known grown ass adults to steal cigs and money for cigs from their mother.

When I was a teen, cigs were 80 cents a pack on the reservation(where I lived) and they didn't card anybody. Due to the very low cost and availability, there was little to no theft for cigs. Had nothing to do with addiction because they were cheap and available.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I've known grown ass adults to steal cigs and money for cigs from their mother.

When I was a teen, cigs were 80 cents a pack on the reservation(where I lived) and they didn't card anybody. Due to the very low cost and availability, there was little to no theft for cigs. Had nothing to do with addiction because they were cheap and available.

What was the minimum wage when cigarettes were 80 cents a pack?
$3.00 / hr?

Without the tax scheme the government has on cigarettes they would be about $2.50 a pack now.

In prison you take one cigarette and make it into five $5 roll ups.

A pack of cigarettes in prison can get you rich or killed depending on how many people know about it.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Was able to buy them for my mom (and sneaking them from her) at .45 a pack. I think I was around 9, but I didn't really know how to smoke then, LOL.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
You've never been to prison, I assume.
Correct.

It's just,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,less. In other words, the scale for nefarious intent and nicotine addiction vs drugs is relative to the cost and availability of cigs vs drugs and how pleasant/unpleasant people feel while using or cleaning out.
I concur. The reason we have so much drug-related crime is because the drugs in question are illegal, which makes them stupid expensive. A cig habit can easily be maintained working part-time for minimum wage. I don't keep track of street prices for drugs, but my sense is that maintaining those habits is quite a bit more expensive.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Correct.

I concur. The reason we have so much drug-related crime is because the drugs in question are illegal, which makes them stupid expensive. A cig habit can easily be maintained working part-time for minimum wage. I don't keep track of street prices for drugs, but my sense is that maintaining those habits is quite a bit more expensive.

Trust me, if someone is withdrawing from ****** and cigarettes at the same time and they had a chance to magically pick one to not withdrawal from anymore they are going to pick ****** 110% of the time.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Correct.

Yep.

But the argument presented is that people do not rob or steal for cigarettes because they are not addictive.

My point is simply that nicotine is addictive, and people will rob or steal for it.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Yep.

But the argument presented is that people do not rob or steal for cigarettes because they are not addictive.

My point is simply that nicotine is addictive, and people will rob or steal for it.

Some people are stupid enough to steal socks and underwear from Wal-Mart.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A pack of cigarettes in prison can get you rich or killed depending on how many people know about it.

Wait, isn't that what I've been saying? o_O

I get the general premise that nicotine addiction is not as strong as a drug addiction, but to claim no addiction and a complete lack of nefarious intent for cigs due to addiction is incorrect. It's just,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,less. In other words, the scale for nefarious intent and nicotine addiction vs drugs is relative to the cost and availability of cigs vs drugs and how pleasant/unpleasant people feel while using or cleaning out. It may be more prominent in a drug addict, but it still exists in the nicotine addict.

You can't have it both ways. Of course people will commit crimes for tobacco. That's what I've been saying. :p

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Good thing then that they usually don't have to. :)

If you're correct, things are gonna get interesting when the FDA forces the nic in cigs to be reduced to "non addictive" levels.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Yep.

My whole point was that nicotine has never been proven addictive in never tobacco users.

Like when they did the clinical trials with nicotine patches in MS patients.
Some patients used nicotine 24 hours a day for well over a year but none of them had any sort of withdrawal symptoms at the end of the study.

There is also anecdotal evidence of college kids using nicotine gum and patches to help study for exams but never become addicted.

There is something in burning tobacco that adds to the nicotine causing it to become highly addictive.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

If you're correct, things are gonna get interesting when the FDA forces the nic in cigs to be reduced to "non addictive" levels.

There will be people who dip these low nicotine cigarettes into nicotine base.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

If people have to pay twice as much, and they will because they'll have to smoke twice as much, poor people will have to steal more to get them. So, yeah.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My whole point was that nicotine has never been proven addictive in never tobacco users.

Like when they did the clinical trials with nicotine patches in MS patients.
Some patients used nicotine 24 hours a day for well over a year but none of them had any sort of withdrawal symptoms at the end of the study.

There is also anecdotal evidence of college kids using nicotine gum and patches to help study for exams but never become addicted.

There is something in burning tobacco that adds to the nicotine causing it to become highly addictive.

Tell that to the Copenhagen and Skoal crowd. Or the people that sniff it up their nose. ;)

I think in time there will be nicotine addicted vapors that never smoked, dipped or used snuff. We'll see.

Saying nicotine is not addictive in vaping is like the tobacco execs claiming nicotine is not addictive at all. It's the wrong argument to make because in 10 years when it's found to be false, as it is sure to be, it will bite us in the ass.

The correct argument is that nicotine is likely addictive but the consequences of the addiction are very small compared to smoking or even chewing.

Nicotine is not addictive is a rather silly argument, IMO. The opiate pain industry argued their products weren't likely to cause addiction, look how that is turning out.

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Nicotine isnt addictive, eggs and red meat are healthy and there was no agent Orange in Vietnam....Saddam didnt stockpile Chemical weapons so there were none to blow up, There have been no terror attacks on US soil and Frack'ing doesnt make groundwater poison.

I believe!

VU Sponsors