Become a Patron!

FDA Approves IQOS

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
PMTA, not MRTP. PM/Altria had submitted both. So they can sell 'em, but they can't make any claims that they're safer than any other tobacco product on the market.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...premarket-tobacco-product-application-pathway

Having bought a kit and a carton of Heatsticks in Europe last fall, I think IQOS has potential for folks (and there are quite a few) who haven't been able to make the switch to vaping.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
This is great news, my Mr just will not give vaping a fair shot - have hopes maybe this will do it for him

Wonder how long it will take to hit the US market?

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Wonder how long it will take to hit the US market?
I think I read something about planned product introduction in the Atlanta area this summer, but I have no idea how long it will take for distribution to go nation-wide.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
now they just wait for the FDA hammer to come down and for those fence users to go iqos.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Can't control all the parts, so control the sum of the parts. Is my take.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
$200,000,000 and FIVE YEARS later a new "tobacco product" is allowed on the market.

If you think for a second that this company won't be lobbying to to destroy vaping (flavor bans, eliquid/wholesale taxes, etc...) then you don't know big tobacco.

If vaping gets banned all vapers are forced to this IQOS or back to PMI's flagship product - Marlboro

IQOS doesn't have any "flavor", they already pay taxes, and are already wrapped up in the MSA. So they don't have any reason to give a shit about us.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
So stock up. Have supplies in a freezer to vape for years.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
If you think for a second that this company won't be lobbying to to destroy vaping (flavor bans, eliquid/wholesale taxes, etc...) then you don't know big tobacco.
$20 million is pocket change to them. IIRC, they spent $3 billion developing IQOS. But even that pales compared to the $13 billion they invested in a vapor product, Juul. So we should consider which horse they've bet the most money on most recently before we conclude that they're out to kill one of those horses. ;)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
They want to make it so expensive and such a regulatory nightmare to play ball that they are the only ones capable of playing.

I honestly believe the owners of juul when they said that they hated big tobacco and wanted to make cigarettes obsolete.

If they are to be believed the ONLY reason they could possibly have for giving Altria 1/3 of a chunk would be that they already know that it will be impossible without big tobacco to get a vaping product on the market.

Once the FDA allows a few vaping devices on the market then they can just say we have plenty of choices between the 3 (BT owned) brands.

I think we will always have access to many of the eliquid brands on the market.
If an eliquid company has to sell their stock to Canadian and Chinese vendors for us to be able to order them they will.
Many already do this so countries with much more draconian laws than us can have access to their product.

I've actually been seeing more and more popular US brand eliquid listed on Chinese sites lately.

usually bigger names like charlies chalk dust and naked 100

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
here is a funny site based on there prices for iqos devices it appears most people will be forced to either pay it or stay on the old stinky
iqossales.com/product-category/devices/ average price for a kit is 80-300 and up depending on site

De linked by me dont want a bot link to a crappy site or device

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
here is a funny site based on there prices for iqos devices it appears most people will be forced to either pay it or stay on the old stinky
iqossales.com/product-category/devices/ average price for a kit is 80-300 and up depending on site
I don't think they're officially available in the US yet (Altria is kinda dragging its feet). So I suspect that's all "gray market" import stuff. $300 it outa line, but $80 is somewhat realistic for kit. Think about it, a carton of cigs costs more than $80 in many places there days.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They want to make it so expensive and such a regulatory nightmare to play ball that they are the only ones capable of playing.
it is the American Way of business.
And not just in tobacco products.
Why do you think we have so many bills written by lobbyists to go up in congress?

VU Sponsors