Become a Patron!

Favorite coil for chasing clouds?

mcCloud101

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh, Vertical coils. Nice idea for the quad coil setup.
So it doesn't work out as well as it should when it comes to vapor production but it's putting out a little too much heat?
I'll keep that in mind about this atty/type of build in the future.

The setup is kind of hard to see on the Plume Veil/Akuma setup but it's a definite dual coil.

The vent holes in the batteries are there to make YOU feel safe but honestly unless there is 2 large or 4 small holes in the top AND bottom of every mod chances are they wouldn't help. When a battery reaches thermal runaway it swells up in the middle so if you had your vent holes in the bottom of the tube/switch (like about every mod made) the gas at the to top the battery wouldn't be able to escape.

Some older mods are better when it comes to venting.
But these newer ones are more about pleasing the eyes than safety.
Luckily our batteries are getting safer and safer as our mods are getting less so.
From ICR/Hybrid technology to higher amp ratings, these safer batteries make venting and catastrophic failure less likely.

Actually, I was messing with the 2SIX this morning and got around to the firing mech... Turns out the firing button wasnt adjusted properly (which is weird since the shop owner told me it needed zero adjustments:rolleyes:). SO I tightened her up and DAMN!!!!!!! Turns out when I was firing her before it was only making a tiny bit of contact. Now thats shes firing flush its a BEAST. And the vapor is much cooler for some reason. I definitely need to get me some more 0mg juice-- Worked out nice!

The Plume Veil has a 4 turn 22G coil. I still like it for my nicotine dosing mod. The flavor is much better--vape has a good balance of TB and smoke density. I can still get a nice cloud with a 2 sec pull.

I'm using the sony 18650 VTC4s. And I use a Nitecore Intellicharger i2 to charge my shiz.. I also check the charged voltage with my mulitimeter at the beginning of everyday. I plan on checking my future rebuilds with a dedicated ecig ohm reader as well. I also dont hold down the firing button for more than 5-6 seconds max. And I'm not planning on competing in a cloud blowing contest anytime soon either so I think i'll be alright :)

hoyes, eres mexicano o que? I see your #7 on the 18650 battery with a slash in it.. im in South Texas!

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

dud3r

Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the response. Really like the look of that bad boy. Doing some research now on building my own box. I have the ability and time. Plus I'm cheap.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

mcCloud101

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
^^^^^It requires some soldering right? If so, my drone/RC building techniques will finally come in handy. Got a nice Hakko FX-888 soldering station ready to go

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
raptor7.png raptor-wiring-nicd.png
Thanks for the response. Really like the look of that bad boy. Doing some research now on building my own box. I have the ability and time. Plus I'm cheap.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

mcCloud101

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Which n-fet did you use? Or does the kit come with everything you need?

Joshua Parnell

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Right now I'm doing 0.07 ohms, dual 18ga Nichrome 60, 7/6 wraps on 2.5mm in parallel. Getting some major clouds out of it.

Before anybody goes into "SAFETY!" rants, dual 26650 35 amp batteries in parallel, so its 70A continuous. 0.07 ohms and 3.7 volts is only ~53A, give or take.

I know that nobody ever NEEDS to go that low, but I've done my research, I feel confident going that low, and I take frequent breaks and check battery temp to minimize my chance of venting. My batts have never even raised above ambient room temp, and I swap them out every 2 or 3 hours with fresh ones.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Riddle me this. What is the deal with twisted wire? I see no point in it whatsoever.

New here...
Been vaping for years, flavor junkie at heart.
Started playing with clouds about a year ago, and there is a lot to be said about safety.

I have a riddle for someone to solve :)

First off, here's my current cloud setup-
-Full copper Stingray made by JD Tech with a Patriot V2 made by Innovape running in hybrid mode.
(Permatex dielectric grease in all the right places)
I'm running duals, 5 wraps 26g GPlat (red) in triple parallel around a 3mm shaft.
It's a 0.12 build - don't yell at me yet, I know I'm pushing it.

Here's the riddle...
With a fresh off the charger (5 minute cooldown before use) battery at 4.2V,
that's pulling 35A @ 147 watts. That's the limit of the battery. (not the "stated" limit, but the
verified limit with the electrical testing equipment I use)
The battery never gets even slightly warm. Not even after chaining all the liquid my wicking will hold.
That's a riddle in itself to me, as I have many other builds that are much less obnoxious that
warm up batteries quite well. I just chalk this up to the insane ramp-up times using GPlat.

If I charge my battery to 3.7V, not the full 4.2, that's pulling 30A @ 114 watts and the clouds are visibly better. Much better.
I'm no electrical dummy, I have my theories, but I want to see what some of you think...

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Using a dual micro 10 wraps on a Plume Veil with all airflow open at 30 watts. Chain vaping can get warm, but never hot. Waiting for my seigel 100W so I can use my 24 gauge.

Viral Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
10597292_1465408687051929_374317762_n.jpg

I absolutely love royal wire. My favorite was a nano dragon 10 wrap with 22g royal, 26650 stilaire. I have no idea the resistance but it was very low. The great part about royal is how fast it cools down.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Favorite coil for clouds on mechs is dual 20ga five wraps around 2mm screwdriver. No ramp up, cools fast.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not a true cloud chaser, but a chuckin set up none the less.

26ga parallel, 3/32id, 5wrap, .2ohm
Its insane with 24gauge, but not an all day vape. Not for me anyways.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yesterday i tried yet again 22ga parallels. Didnt bother checking the ohms, but you can imagine they are low. Performance is ok, still i prefer lower gauge micros for clouds.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yesterday i tried yet again 22ga parallels. Didnt bother checking the ohms, but you can imagine they are low. Performance is ok, still i prefer lower gauge micros for clouds.
I tried 22ga parallels in my zenith but they were too damn hot!!..dropped back down to parallel 26g (.12 ) that isn't so hot but still produces good clouds..also installed dual parallel 24g in my 28.5mm Stillare on top of my 26650 BFM that produces really thick clouds, a cooler vape, and don't have to re-drip as often as the big deck space holds plenty of cotton..I think I'm done with 22g, least for now..lol

from Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

Amir_Wazir

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, I'm kicking the tires on a KF 3.1 right now. It's working rather well with a 1.3 ohm 7 wrap 28g coil. However, I plan on taking it down a notch or two to see if the wicking will keep up. Has anybody here tried 22g on a KF? I'm thinking of trying it out, but I see 3 potential problems: (1) 22g is fairly large gauge to fit under those small screws, (2) it would have to be a fairly large coil, for such a small working area, to be in a respectable ohm range for the device, and (3) I see major wicking problems occurring if the juice control isn't set wide open, but this would tend to cause it to leak if left for any amount of time. Still gonna try it out though!

I've gotten a 22g and 24g to work on a Kayfun at around 0.8 ohms ( just screwing around, basically ). My device doesn't have enough power to heat coils that big up quickly enough to be practical though, so I can't speak to how they would work out with higher wattage.

I just took the leads and stuck them in the holes that are on the side of the center platform and tightened down the screws so they clamped down on the wire from above. That's not their intended use, but it works. As for the size of the coil ( the 22 gauge coil I did was 10 wraps around a ~4mm mandrel, IIRC ), it can fit if positioned right but wicking it decently would be tricky.

The best build I've found so far on a Kayfun is a ~0.8 ohm microcoil in 26 gauge, mounted maybe 4-5 mm above the airhole. A 0.8 microcoil in 24 gauge had good flavor, but not nearly as much vapor production ( though that might change with higher wattage ). I kind of tend to think you don't want a very big coil in a Kayfun for best results however, good airflow is pretty crucial here.

Last edited:

PaisanVapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I spent 90 minutes building a fused dual clapton sleeper. 24g dual with 36g wrapped very tight. Came out to be .17 ohms. On a stillair with a ipv3. Great for flavor but average on cloud chasing. I thought claptons would produce more but I was wrong. Don't waste your time building one of these unless you are looking for more flavor.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What is your favorite coil and setup for producing your biggest clouds?

For me, I'm doing quite well with dual 22awg NiChrome macro coils around .2-.3ohm in a Tugboat and 24awg in my Stillare but I'm interested to hear others' experiences. My only problem is that the entire RDA heats up and retains the heat too much to chain vape on it.
I like to keep my coil wrapping fairly simple.
I run dual parallel 24g kanthel at .12 ohms in my Zenith and dual parallel 26g kanthel at about .14 ohms in my Stillare
Both are great for clouds and flavor

PaisanVapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like to keep my coil wrapping fairly simple.
I run dual parallel 24g kanthel at .12 ohms in my Zenith and dual parallel 26g kanthel at about .14 ohms in my Stillare
Both are great for clouds and flavor

Thanks for this. I'll give it a shot

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I changed since my last post. Im now using dual 24ga, 5wraps, around a 7/64 drill bit in my plume veil. Its runnin around .2ohm and kicks some tasty clouds. Super simple.

PaisanVapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just built dual 28g 10 wraps each on a 2.4mm bit. Reads 6.2 ohms. Setup on a ipv3 at 7.7 volts =83 Watts! Burns real nice and cold. Big Clouds and doesn't drain much.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Flattened 22 gauge parallel sleepers fog like nothing i have ever seen. Absolut pain in the butthole to build, but the results are amazing.

PaisanVapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Flattened 22 gauge parallel sleepers fog like nothing i have ever seen. Absolut pain in the butthole to build, but the results are amazing.
I just picked up 3 feet of that wire. It's 22g kanthal twisted flattened. What rda you using and how many wraps? My phone app "cloudbox" don't have the wire loaded in it so I was afraid to start building it. I didn't want to waste it.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Twisted flattened? Mine is just flattened. Or was, i popped a couple and gave up. 3mm screwdriver, four wraps and should ohm about 0.08. I got this on Doge, only atty with enough airflow for that build.

PaisanVapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Here's my twisted

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-08-14-51-32-1.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-08-14-51-32-1.png
    425.5 KB · Views: 72

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Give it a shot. That build will drain 220w and over 52 amps, so be safe.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's going to be insanely hot on a Stillare, its hot on the Doge with the airflow full open.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok. Well i trust you know what you're doing :D

PaisanVapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well I'm still learning hence why I'm on this page. Lol

KeepItSimpleStupid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The juice is from a local vape shop in delaware, Vape Escape Delaware, it called Bundy - 90% VG mix 3mg 30ml for $24 and it's fruity pebbles without milk and it's delicious, but I use 20ml needle tip bottles and I put about 16-17ml of juice with 3-4ml of a 50/50 straight PG/VG to dilute it a lil bit

Dark horse, 20ga, dual 8 wraps at .4 ohm, about 3/16" diameter. Thick Japanese cotton pillow and wick. Cloupor T8 at about 70 Watts. I usually only get 1 ten second pull before the cotton looks depleted of liquid..I think it's right where it needs to be. The clouds are fun, but I do it for all-around results. I take about 6 blasts a day on average, when I would have been outside hot-boxing a smoke.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
20 gauge Kanthal A1

so what am i to expect moving from a 28g 1.3ohm 24mg 12w 4.2v ? will a 0.5ohm be real harsh? also im torn between the 2 wires im feeling a 30g for kanthal and 25g for nickel? but still havent really the slightest clue what different this will make but im certainly looking to try more macro and micro size coils my start off coils are coming up at like 1.2-1.4ohm and like 11-13 wraps any suggestions will be much appreciated folk! i only have a kayfun at the moment an orchid on the way and afew average rdas i would just prefer not be stuck with premade systems like innokin - kanger - aspire - joyetech etc

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
so what am i to expect moving from a 28g 1.3ohm 24mg 12w 4.2v ? will a 0.5ohm be real harsh? also im torn between the 2 wires im feeling a 30g for kanthal and 25g for nickel? but still havent really the slightest clue what different this will make but im certainly looking to try more macro and micro size coils my start off coils are coming up at like 1.2-1.4ohm and like 11-13 wraps any suggestions will be much appreciated folk! i only have a kayfun at the moment an orchid on the way and afew average rdas i would just prefer not be stuck with premade systems like innokin - kanger - aspire - joyetech etc
While I don't think these won't work on a Kayfun, when you get other RDAs, I recommend trying a dragon nano build. I just got a Cloud Champ, and I have a 4 coil nano build using 28 ga Kanthal, 8 wraps each, at .16 ohms. It puts out fantastic flavor and a respectable cloud.

Attachments

• 14217163883261561657941.jpg
    14217163883261561657941.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 45
While I don't think these won't work on a Kayfun, when you get other RDAs, I recommend trying a dragon nano build. I just got a Cloud Champ, and I have a 4 coil nano build using 28 ga Kanthal, 8 wraps each, at .16 ohms. It puts out fantastic flavor and a respectable cloud.
thankyou for your advice! ill give it a go with a geyser clone maybe.. eek hope the holes arent too hard to drill.. im really quite lost amongst all these guages and nano mini micro macro terms being thrown round really get me.. i just want to be able to do micro dual/quads or atleast micro size looking! haha and some thick minimal coil macro size ones i think the way i use the world isnt in context with vape life haha ADV ADV

VU Sponsors