Become a Patron!

Fairly new to dripping, need input.

itsmrkey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A few weeks ago I bought a sigelei 150 with an original doge atty from a co worker. First dripper ever having switched from a kangertech subox mini.

I'm looking for some help with what I should be doing to aim for max flavor. I'm currently using 22g kanthal dual micro coil 11/10 wraps. Flavor seems ok but I know it could be better. Should also note those coils are at .3 ohms and I'm vaping at 60w.

Should I look into a different atty? (it came with my bundle) Different wire or build? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

itsmrkey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the bump. Should also mention I'm brand new to the forums and using an awful windows phone to navigate so just be patient with me!

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some one or many will come help you out, I use reg tanks or I'd try to help you out, Good luck and Welcome to VU:):)

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Can you post a pic of your build? Sounds like the coil might be a little too narrow and too long. A larger diameter with less wraps might work better. Wicking is important too. A pic would really help us offer good suggestions.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would try 24g kanthal and less wraps. It looks like you're not supplying those coils with enough power for the amount of metal you're trying to heat, but the length of them will probably cause wicking issues if you up the power. Try dual coils, 24g, 3mm diameter, 6 1/2 wraps, start at 35w and keep turning up the power until it's obvious you've gone too far. Then back it down to the sweet spot. The results should be better than what you're getting now. Good luck.

When using imgur, select 'bbcode' under the 'link' drop down. Copy and paste that to your post and the picture will show up in the post instead of a link.

Steamin Demon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You might consider a different atty geared toward flavor more than clouds.
Veritas, magma, derringer, bambino all have good clones available.
Unless you find that the flavor is good enough with the builds others recommended.
You might be fine with that.
Boomstick makes some good points. Good luck!

BenJammin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you find that BoomStick's advice of 24g 3mm ID still isn't producing enough flavor, try twisting some 26g or maybe even 24g together and trying again... when you twist it leaves little pockets for the juices to collect.

Twisting is easy, cut off a 6ft or so strand, fold in half, and stick the folded end into the drill and tighten, grab the other end with pliers and twist til tight!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Besides the recommendations made by @BoomStick, you can also reduce the Airflow, in order to get denser clouds and more flavor. Keep in mind you might have to reduce the power, when reducing the airflow. The airflow is also used to cool down the coils. You'll have to play around with coil build, power, and airflow.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
You might consider a different atty geared toward flavor more than clouds.
Veritas, magma, derringer, bambino all have good clones available.
Unless you find that the flavor is good enough with the builds others recommended.
You might be fine with that.
Boomstick makes some good points. Good luck!
I have to agree some. The Doge is more a cloud chaser RDA, than a flavor RDA.

Jayvon633

Member For 4 Years
check your wicking as well what are you using to wick? the cotton squares are the easiest i think to work with because you can cut a strip as thick as you need and you dont have to work with it as much

itsmrkey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for all the advice. For the record I was vaping with air ports 3\4 open at 60w. Just got some 24g kanthal so I'll try 6/5 at 35w and see how that does after adjustments. As for the atty, I assumed it was a cloud chaser but I couldn't argue with the deal I got considering I picked up the mod, atty, two batteries, nitecore charger and 30 ml of some good DIY fruity loops for $140.

If boomstick's advice doesn't cut it I'll try twisting and if that still doesn't hit the spot I guess I'll chase down a flavor atty.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm gonna move this to the flavor chasers area. You've gotten some good suggestions!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Twisting 2-3 strands of wire, does usually improve the flavor and cloud production. In addition, it's one of the easier to make, compared to a Clapton coil, and such.

itsmrkey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I spent the past three hours researching different builds and I think I may try a twisted coil sure enough. I have at least found a good balance with the 24g 6 wrap at 50w with airflow 3/4 open. Still intrigued to see how twisted wire will change things.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The build and wire I suggested was meant to be a new starting point. Kind of a rda standard gauge, diameter and wrap build that quickly gets you in the ballpark and provides decent performance. It should be a decent benchmark to compare future builds to. The build you posted a pic of seemed too far from the 'middle of the road' to be worth trying to use as a starting point. Hopefully you've got something good enough for now and good luck experimenting and getting it even better.

itsmrkey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
YPmUw4s.jpg

The flavor and clouds are decent at the moment. Won't complain about where I'm at with it right now. That cloud is probably the smallest I've blown in the past five minutes at 55w

itsmrkey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
New question for those who know better than I. 24g twisted kanthal dual coil 7/6 wraps at .1 ohms on the same sigelei 150 with two 18650, 3.7v batteries... Safe? First twisted set I tried wrapping, wanting to make sure I'm not tempting fate here.

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Build resistance has nothing to do with safety in a regulated mod. The watt setting and the specific batteries you're using do. Give us the specifics of the batteries you're using and we'll tell you if they're ok. Or post a picture of them.

itsmrkey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sony 2100 mah 30a batteries. I decided to pull everything up in steam engine after I discovered it. Also turned the coils into 9/8 wraps and ended with a .2 resistance and I'm firing on 65w.

Sorry if any of these questions seem overly noobish of me but between my research and what my co worker (the guy who sold me the mod) tells me I keep finding conflicting information so I'm trying to make sure I educate myself as best I can.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You have Sony vtc4's. Great batteries. If your mod will fire it, you're good. The amount of current flowing through your coils has nothing to do with the current being drawn from your batteries in a variable power mod. The watt range you're using won't come anywhere close to overworking your batteries no matter what resistance your coils are.

BenJammin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sony 2100 mah 30a batteries. I decided to pull everything up in steam engine after I discovered it. Also turned the coils into 9/8 wraps and ended with a .2 resistance and I'm firing on 65w.

Sorry if any of these questions seem overly noobish of me but between my research and what my co worker (the guy who sold me the mod) tells me I keep finding conflicting information so I'm trying to make sure I educate myself as best I can.
Yeah you should be good... it sounds like you have the VTC4's Like BoomStick said which are phenomenal batteries. Are they green?

As far as that build, that tends to be my sweet spot as well. .2ohms around 60-75 watts depending on the flavor of the juice. Hows the twisted doing as far as flavor?

itsmrkey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Twisted is doing great for flavor but it takes a bit to ramp up at 65w and I can't really go higher because it starts spitting

huston

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Picked up a new twisted messes rda. Wow what a hard hitting mod. Choked me up first hit from it. Only running .46 but hits like a beast. Flavor for days on this one

itsmrkey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hrm. I'm still doing my research on other rdas. Though I do have a friend who's giving me a doge x just because they're too impatient to use drippers. Not sure how it'll compare to my original doge but hey, free is always good.

I too have been flavor chasing and experimented with a load of different builds. Fairly new to building, but my favorite so far has been a 28 gauge kanthal parallel coil. .8ohms. TONS of flavor and dense thick vapor. Vaping at 20-22.5 watts on a Velocoty clone.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Made it to a Doctor, can't breathe. He fixed it. Keep smoking and buy a Coffin with in the next 6 weeks. Two years ago. I bought a Trumpet to re learn to play now my lungs are Primo again. Vaping is a hobby, find Your groove. :cool:

VU Sponsors