Become a Patron!

F*ck it..I'm diving in!!! (DIY E-JUICE) Please Help

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My vape anniversary is coming up in october (still smoke a bit but I love vaping) Anyway I've been putting off the DIY journey for too long just out of pure comfort/fear reasons. But I'm not rich in fact I'm very low income so I've decided to get into DIY. I'll be buying all my stuff from https://www.dashvapes.com/products/do+it+yourself/32 They even have the scale. Basically I'm tryna figure out what I'll need to start... a starter kit so to speak..I obviously will pick my own flavour concentrates..I have some questions.

1) 100mg nic base seems popular..so question is VG or PG based? Should 30ml's last a while?
2) Gonna pick up 1000ml of VG. How much PG should I get? (mixing 70/30 & 80/20 VG/PG blends)
3) They have 5ml & 10ml syringes..which one do I need? Both? I'll need needle tips too.right?
4) Will a 250ml "beaker" to mix all ingredients be sufficient?
5) Looks like they only carry unicorn style bottles..is that cool? Should I buy quite a few 10ml bottles for testing purposes?
6) is getting a sweetener a wise choice..I like desserts and what not

Will this scale be good enough? https://www.dashvapes.com/products/labware/35/digital+pocket+scale+for+diy/2675/21411

What am I missing or things I should consider?

Total DIY newb please bare with me as I learn the basics :)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Wow, didn't know you were Canadian :)

Anyways, most folks use PG-based nic because for many of us, it just blends better

So unless you are aiming for max-max vg, I'd go with the pg version

Am not a big fan of kits, as usually you can find what you really need at lower cost and higher quality by getting things seperately, especially if you are on a tight budget

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Awesome! You're in the right place for recipes and help, for sure!
PG based nic is easier to work with because it's thinner. I prefer it, others may differ.
Half that amount in PG should do you awhile with those ratios.
If you get that scale (and it would do nicely), there s really no need for syringes.
The beaker is plenty spacious enough. I mix in just about anything I can wash and sanitize.
Bottle size is up to you, but 10ml is a good sample size.
Sweetener is a matter of personal taste, but never mandatory.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow, didn't know you were Canadian :)

Anyways, most folks use PG-based nic because for many of us, it just blends better

So unless you are aiming for max-max vg, I'd go with the pg version

Am not a big fan of kits, as usually you can find what you really need at lower cost and higher quality by getting things seperately, especially if you are on a tight budget

Yeah thanks for the PG nic recommendation..I'm basically putting together my own kit piece by piece. So far my cart looks like I'll be around a 100 bucks to get started..Just not 100 percent sure what all I need lol

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awesome! You're in the right place for recipes and help, for sure!
PG based nic is easier to work with because it's thinner. I prefer it, others may differ.
Half that amount in PG should do you awhile with those ratios.
If you get that scale (and it would do nicely), there s really no need for syringes.
The beaker is plenty spacious enough. I mix in just about anything I can wash and sanitize.
Bottle size is up to you, but 10ml is a good sample size.
Sweetener is a matter of personal taste, but never mandatory.
Oh ok no syringes needed thats awesome! Realizing I'll need a calculator and some math skills to make 10ml recipes lol

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yeah thanks for the PG nic recommendation..I'm basically putting together my own kit piece by piece. So far my cart looks like I'll be around a 100 bucks to get started..Just not 100 percent sure what all I need lol

If you're really looking to save money, just reuse your old juice bottles, don't worry about new

You can mix in just about anything, like Theresa said, then just pour the final product into the old (washed) bottles

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
seems like a silly question but can I just use a spoon to stir/mix my recipes?

I mix my recipes right into the 10ml bottle. Then cap and shake. So you don't really need a beaker.

I use vg nic and mix max vg. All preference though. If you want 80/20 or higher, it may be hard to get with pg based nic if the recipe has a high flavor percentage.

I feel like I never have enough 10ml bottle. Prly have around 30 now. But I lend them to other people to try recipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And I only use unicorn bottles for myself. The few glass ones I have are because someone else prefers them.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nobodies mentioned this yet. When buying flavors, I'd recommended looking at recipes that look good to you to start with. If you buy random flavors, you might not get something that makes you happy. That and although DIY can be cheaper, if you're buying a bunch of flavors because you don't like what you picked initially, it can get expensive.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nobodies mentioned this yet. When buying flavors, I'd recommended looking at recipes that look good to you to start with. If you buy random flavors, you might not get something that makes you happy. That and although DIY can be cheaper, if you're buying a bunch of flavors because you don't like what you picked initially, it can get expensive.

Probably gonna start with single flavor recipes..definitely on the hunt for a good glazed/frosted donut to replace Loaded Glazed Donuts a lemon candy might be nice too..definitely gonna be a journey. Luckily there's a ton of flavors out there..Gonna start with basic stuff that sounds good and experiment with simplicity

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So for those that don't use syringes you just do it by drops straight out the bottle? like flavouring and what not?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So for those that don't use syringes you just do it by drops straight out the bottle? like flavouring and what not?
Yep, straight out of the dropper bottle. I do have some flavors that don't have dropper tips. I've got a crap ton of small glass eye droppers from Kroger pharmacy that I use for those. And I also have a massive amount of those tiny perfume funnels that I got from a couple eBay vendors in China. Got some from Wish too.
A good place to get flavors to sample is Wizard Labs. You can get little 8ml vials for around $1.49, some less. This way you can try several flavors without getting stuck with larger quantities you may not like.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
My vape anniversary is coming up in october (still smoke a bit but I love vaping) Anyway I've been putting off the DIY journey for too long just out of pure comfort/fear reasons. But I'm not rich in fact I'm very low income so I've decided to get into DIY. I'll be buying all my stuff from https://www.dashvapes.com/products/do+it+yourself/32 They even have the scale. Basically I'm tryna figure out what I'll need to start... a starter kit so to speak..I obviously will pick my own flavour concentrates..I have some questions.

1) 100mg nic base seems popular..so question is VG or PG based? Should 30ml's last a while?
2) Gonna pick up 1000ml of VG. How much PG should I get? (mixing 70/30 & 80/20 VG/PG blends)
3) They have 5ml & 10ml syringes..which one do I need? Both? I'll need needle tips too.right?
5) Looks like they only carry unicorn style bottles..is that cool? Should I buy quite a few 10ml bottles for testing purposes?

Will this scale be good enough? https://www.dashvapes.com/products/labware/35/digital+pocket+scale+for+diy/2675/21411

I would start making small 10ml test batches first so you don't end up with a beaker full of diy you hate. And it's all you need for that are some cheap 10ml plastic bottles and a 1ml, a 3 or 5, and a 10ml syringe. 14 gauge green blunt tip needles work well. With that, some nic, pg, vg and a few flavors and you're on you way to diy for a few bucks. No scales beakers or such needed unless you get into big batches (and even then I don't use them).

Last edited:

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would start making small 10ml test batches first so you don't end up with a beaker full of diy you hate. And it's all you need for that are some cheap 10ml plastic bottles and a 1ml, a 3 or 5, and a 10ml syringe. 14 gauge green blunt tip needles work well. With that, some nic, pg, vg and a few flavors and you're on you way to diy for a few bucks. No scales beakers or such needed unless you get into big batches (and even then I don't use them).
hmmm

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I only use a syringe while adding the nicotine but even then i still use a scale for measuring purposes. Reason I do this is because I keep the nic in a glass bottle as opposed to the plastic for flavorings, so it makes life easier than than trying to pour the nic from a glass bottle. Just something to consider. Happy mixing!

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

If you want to keep it as cheap as possible go with www.bestglycol.com in Montreal. They have the cheapest prices for TPA, FW and Cap's in Canada. Plus they have nic, PG and VG.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ditto what Deeks said ^

although of late I just put my NIC in a 30 ml dropper bottle ... and hit it up as tho it was a flavor .. works great... Nic in fridge and pull it out before I start mixing...

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmm back at ya lol. go ahead get scales, beakers, the works and I'll have my diy made while you're still weighing :D
nah I'm thinking you're way is a good way to start :) if I find good recipes that I want to make in bulk I'll consider getting the scale and all that jazz. Although I like the idea of mixing by weight so who knows lol

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just mix right in my juice bottles. Add all the ingredients and shake it. I personally have never seen the need for a beaker or the like. Maybe if i was making huge batches, but I only make between 30ml and 120ml bottles.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just mix right in my juice bottles. Add all the ingredients and shake it. I personally have never seen the need for a beaker or the like. Maybe if i was making huge batches, but I only make between 30ml and 120ml bottles.
which syringes would I need? and how many of each? Also how do you get a syringe to work with a bottle that has the unicorn style top..do those come off?

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
nah I'm thinking you're way is a good way to start :) if I find good recipes that I want to make in bulk I'll consider getting the scale and all that jazz. Although I like the idea of mixing by weight so who knows lol
I started with syringes. They are a pain in the ass. Getting a scale makes everything go along quicker, easier, and you dont have any cleaning to do. I mix directly into the bottle and just shake it.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started with syringes. They are a pain in the ass. Getting a scale makes everything go along quicker, easier, and you dont have any cleaning to do. I mix directly into the bottle and just shake it.
great now i'm torn lol I've always been the type to pay more for convenience..maybe a scale after all. The easier the better.

VU Sponsors