Even veteran vapers make mistakes

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
OK, I'll confess... I was at the Detroit airport in December 2016 with some time to kill. I had been outside vaping and put my CV squonker in my coat pocket. I went inside to do some email. After working for a bit I smelled something getting hot. Sure enough I had forgot to lock the switch. End result was just a melted delrin drip tip and burnt wick. My battery wasn't even warm, thank you Samsung 25R5 and me not having a ridiculous build. My coat being FR for the electrical industry wasn't even scorched. My lesson was learned and I always lock the switch on my squonks before pocketing.:facepalm:

I don't have a story as dramatic (so glad of that) but last week had a wake up moment about battery safety.
I plug my phone in at night, like most of us do, and it used to set on the pillow on the unused side of my bed. It is an LG G5 that uses an LI-Ion battery. I dozed off soon after and woke up about an hour later to a horrendous burnt smell filling my room.
My phone had slid off of the pillow and was still plugged in, just under the edge of the pillow, on my bed. The battery had whinged out and the phone got hot enough to burn the pillow, the blanket, the top and bottom sheets and a spot about 6" diameter singed all the way to the mattress.
I survived and only had to replace a phone and some bedding.
It was a very scary reminder that even our "safest" battery technology can hiccup.
I used to go to sleep with my mod on my bed, my phone on a pillow, and my vape battery charger on my wooden nightstand. Anything with a battery now goes in a recharge bag that sits in a burn proof box. Probably paranoid but safer is better than sorry
Sarah

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't have a story as dramatic (so glad of that) but last week had a wake up moment about battery safety.
I plug my phone in at night, like most of us do, and it used to set on the pillow on the unused side of my bed. It is an LG G5 that uses an LI-Ion battery. I dozed off soon after and woke up about an hour later to a horrendous burnt smell filling my room.
My phone had slid off of the pillow and was still plugged in, just under the edge of the pillow, on my bed. The battery had whinged out and the phone got hot enough to burn the pillow, the blanket, the top and bottom sheets and a spot about 6" diameter singed all the way to the mattress.
I survived and only had to replace a phone and some bedding.
It was a very scary reminder that even our "safest" battery technology can hiccup.
I used to go to sleep with my mod on my bed, my phone on a pillow, and my vape battery charger on my wooden nightstand. Anything with a battery now goes in a recharge bag that sits in a burn proof box. Probably paranoid but safer is better than sorry
Sarah
Recharge bags add more danger, as the heat that gets trapped in them can easily cause a battery to start overheating during the charging process, just like it did under your pillow. For this reason charging a mod or the typical round Li-ion cells we use for vaping should NEVER be done in a recharge bag or pouch excepting only if you're charging them at such low amps that the charging takes essentially forever.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Recharge bags add more danger, as the heat that gets trapped in them can easily cause a battery to start overheating during the charging process, just like it did under your pillow. For this reason charging a mod or the typical round Li-ion cells we use for vaping should NEVER be done in a recharge bag or pouch excepting only if you're charging them at such low amps that the charging takes essentially forever.

yeah never understood the boil in a bag idea better off leaving on a non combustible slate

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks for sharing, sorry to hear and hope you heal up well. Definitely a reminder to all of us who use LI batteries, especially mech users. At least you aren’t blaming the mod like all the main stream news stories.

My embarrassing story is short (no pun intended lol)
Dumb ass me was trying to clean arc marks off the positive cap of a cell with steel wool, the wool went under the insulator and contacted the negative via the rim igniting the steel wool, burning my fingers and melting the wrap :facepalm:
Similar moment last week, when I went to wrap a battery. I couldn't get a good tear on it, so went to lightly nip the top with scissors and got a big spark, just a few feet from my face. I threw the battery, stared at it, kind of in shock, picked it up, then tossed it in the kitchen. All was well, but it sure scared the shit out of me. Will find a new way to tear those off that doesn't involve nipping the wrap with metal.

The first thing I thought of after I calmed down was Bird. <3

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Similar moment last week, when I went to wrap a battery. I couldn't get a good tear on it, so went to lightly nip the top with scissors and got a big spark, just a few feet from my face. I threw the battery, stared at it, kind of in shock, picked it up, then tossed it in the kitchen. All was well, but it sure scared the shit out of me. Will find a new way to tear those off that doesn't involve nipping the wrap with metal.

The first thing I thought of after I calmed down was Bird. <3
Glad you’re ok, something like that is definitely startling.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
yeah never understood the boil in a bag idea better off leaving on a non combustible slate
For LiPo packs it's understandable because those need typical slow charging so they don't give off so much heat while charging, and, they use a much more volatile chemistry type so when they catch on fire they do so much more violently compared to all the other types we consider safe enough to be suitable for vaping so that's what charging bags are for, but personally I would take added precautions by keeping the charging bag in a cool place during the charging. To cool down something in such a way that the amount of cooling will make a big enough difference, usually people add ice, BUT... when ice melts you get water so, batteries... water... I don't think that's such a good idea. LiPo users basically are stuck with slow charging unless you can do it in something like a fireproof shed outside, but you have to stay nearby to keep monitoring the charging and be able to intervene in a timely fashion if something goes wrong with the battery charging, so it's not convenient for most people because people want to sit inside where it's comfortable instead of keep wandering around the shed. Or else just stick to using 'traditional' round cells on an external charger with a ceramic tile underneath and keep it where you can both see it (stay awake) and easily reach it.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Let my mistake be a lesson for others. Lock your mods when not in use and be vigilant of all safety.
Ouch. Sorry to read about that. Also, wow, guess I'll now make locking them when not in use more of a habit. I usually don't lock them but then too I usually set them upright on a table. I do know better though, tables can randomly vanish, or items get knocked off of them. Well, get better then man.

placemace

Member For 1 Year
It is also important to ensure that the buttons are not jammed! This is a fairly common problem!

Happy Chinese New Year!
89.jpg

JBT81

baby empath
VU Donator
dang man. glad it didn't turn out to be worse than this. i sort of feel your pain (or lack thereof), i burned my finger on a coil the other day.

a5JVmpA.jpg

you can barely see it anymore, but at first you could see the lines from the coil. its the slightly more pink spot on the top half...
i had just finished dry burning my coil and got up to go get a drink or something, when i came back i forgot that it might still be hot :eek: i was securing the post screws and touched the coil to make sure it was in a good position. all of a sudden i felt a sharp pain and stopped touching it to find a nice little burn mark. i rinsed it under cold water for a good 4 minutes and then held a bag of frozen something on it for a while. obviously i felt stupid for the careless mistake, but i also felt somehow accomplished, as if i had become a true vaper. as if i had made it through a rite of passage haha 1st (and hopefully ONLY) coil burn down.

be careful fellow VUers! learn from our mistakes please.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Well i had a close call a few days ago. While watching tv and talking with my wife i dripped my rda, went to vape it not realizing i still hadn't put the top back on it. Finger on the fire button as i taste juice in my mouth. Lol. Just lucky i almost ended up with a scorched mouth. Was close

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've singed my lip, burnt my finger, gotten stabbed with wire, sliced a finger open a couple times on a sharp atty, but never have I had a 3rd degree burn like Bird's. Man, that looked terrible. I whine and cry over a kanthal stab like a little girl, though.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I've singed my lip, burnt my finger, gotten stabbed with wire, sliced a finger open a couple times on a sharp atty, but never have I had a 3rd degree burn like Bird's. Man, that looked terrible. I whine and cry over a kanthal stab like a little girl, though.
I thought being stabbed with wire was just part of building. Lol

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
well my one true opp moments was back in the 5v box mod on a 14500 and carto days...
long story short went to the movies mod in pocket turned it off.
somehow when i took my jacket off it turned on... sat on the jacket there by hitting the power button
dont know how long it was on but got to the car for a vape post movie.
there was a nice melted carto, box mod and a very warm pocket... could have been worse but i was down my best unit at the time.

lesson learned in my case if i go to the movies these days battery box to hold the power outside of the mod...

i have also poked ,burned, cut finger using RDA's and RTA's before

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I use the chair as a nightstand so I have to put the mod someplace when I transfer. So I would throw the mod in the bed. Then transfer from the wheelchair to the bed.

Those other things we won’t talk about in a public venue.

Good answer! lol I hope you’re okay. That burn looks bad, glad it’s healing up.
It’s not like ppl don’t vape in bed at all. We do, we’re just using regulated mods. Be careful!

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh come one now people this is getting maudin....You're really milking this bird....I'm starting to think for pulling a colts trick like this we should make you under go probation... restrict you to boge cartomizers and an ego twist for 6 months , then work your way up to something more powerful like say.
1f573937bd6d5138e168b63f1c994c3a--bling-pearls.jpg

Until you've shown you can be trusted with a real mod without turning your ass into a pulled pork sandwich

Ooh, a Hello Kitty vape! I love it actually!
Sorry, a necrobot brought me here. But good lesson to hear.

TheBloodyNine

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
View attachment 102395

View attachment 102393
I know I’m not the only vet who’s done something dumb. But, I want to show the newer vapers what can happen on the even of logic failure and carelessness. Feel free to share your story also. It’s for the benefit of those learning the hobby.

For those that don’t know:
I’ve been vaping almost 6 years now. Additionally I’m a T12/L1 spinal cord injury, which means I have now feeling or movement in my legs. (I mention this because it is key). I have to be more careful with mods in my pocket, because I won’t feel a misfire.
Back in November, I was kidding in bed and threw my mechmods in bed and then jumped in. Something I do every night. This time; however, I forgot to lock the Mech. I didn’t realize this lapse of thought until i was watching tv and smelled what I could only describe as burnt hamburger. As the smell grew stronger I started searching more rapidly. Finally I saw a charr mark underneath me on the bedding and slid over to feel a red hot mod under my thigh. I flipped over and looked back to see my wife’s look of horror. We then rushed to ER to find out I had a 17mmX6.5mm 3rd degree burn on my thigh.
It’s now 12mmx4mm.
The picture shown is cleaned up.

Let my mistake be a lesson for others. Lock your mods when not in use and be vigilant of all safety. I got lucky, had I been using bad batteries or a bad build, It Could have been far worse.

I’m in no way blaming anyone but myself, I’m merely wanting to help those that we harp safety on to see first hand results of negligence. I think it would serve some well to hear some of the mistakes we vets make

"I was kidding in bed and threw my mechmods in bed and then jumped in."

This makes it sound like you took a bunch of mods, put them on the bed then just jumped into them like they were a pile of 100 dollar bills.

I know that's not what happened, but the image is stuck in my head now.

I generally have a pretty radical view on this subject matter but purely from a legislative standpoint. I'll try not to sound like a dick, but...

This type of thing happening makes the vape industry as a whole look terrible. The public image of the vaping community is permanently marred by the black market THC cartomizer scandal that occurred in 2019. Legislation banning flavors/online sales is still being passed in a multitude of states without much resistance because of that disaster (despite later reports of the carts being the culprit, mind you), and might not ever recover fully given the way things seem to be going. With that being said, any additional negative press for our community could tip the scale on a federal level and then that will just be the end of it. Mech mods shouldn't exist. I don't care if it hits better. I don't care how much you like them. I don't care about a single reason why any person would argue for the use of mech mods. Because things like this happen, even to experienced vapers, I think it's time for the industry to self-regulate (no pun intended) mechs out of the market. It's more selfish than anything else to use one right now, in my opinion, because the next person that dies or suffers a catastrophic injury from vaping (lung or physically) will become the poster child for the anti-vaping movement.

I didn't always used to feel this way about it, but times have changed. I think it's time for us all to smarten up and realize what's best for our community moving forward. I'd certainly hate to lose everything over just losing mechs.

edit: I forgot to mention, I'm glad you're okay OP. I've had 3rd degree burns from working pizza ovens. Not fun.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I generally have a pretty radical view on this subject matter but purely from a legislative standpoint. I'll try not to sound like a dick, but...

This type of thing happening makes the vape industry as a whole look terrible. The public image of the vaping community is permanently marred by the black market THC cartomizer scandal that occurred in 2019. Legislation banning flavors/online sales is still being passed in a multitude of states without much resistance because of that disaster (despite later reports of the carts being the culprit, mind you), and might not ever recover fully given the way things seem to be going. With that being said, any additional negative press for our community could tip the scale on a federal level and then that will just be the end of it. Mech mods shouldn't exist. I don't care if it hits better. I don't care how much you like them. I don't care about a single reason why any person would argue for the use of mech mods. Because things like this happen, even to experienced vapers, I think it's time for the industry to self-regulate (no pun intended) mechs out of the market. It's more selfish than anything else to use one right now, in my opinion, because the next person that dies or suffers a catastrophic injury from vaping (lung or physically) will become the poster child for the anti-vaping movement.

I didn't always used to feel this way about it, but times have changed. I think it's time for us all to smarten up and realize what's best for our community moving forward. I'd certainly hate to lose everything over just losing mechs.

edit: I forgot to mention, I'm glad you're okay OP. I've had 3rd degree burns from working pizza ovens. Not fun.
It wasnt my first 3rd degree burn either, just the longest to heal because of its location.

In any event, we have a fundamental difference of opinion on the issue of mech mods. I still use them. I firmly believe in personal responsibility. Myself using them does not infringe on anyone else's rights. Clearly I know and understand what can go wrong, and its up to me to take preventive measures. The same applies to anyone using one.
Last I checked, mechal mods were never something at risk of being singled out nor taken away in any legislation. They were more concerned with carts and closed systems.
@The Cromwell probably knows more on that

@f1r3b1rd I know mechs haven't been singled out in any recent legislation, I'm just saying any kind of negative press that comes from the use of mechs could cause vaping as a whole to be banned at this point. I like to try to think about it from the point of view of someone who knows nothing about vaping (this includes lawmakers). With all the cart shit that happened, compounded with someone potentially suffering a catastrophic injury from a mech mod, would probably be enough for people in that frame of mind to decide this shit has got to go. I would feel much better about vaping's chances of remaining legal if mechs were off the market.

ANYTHING can tip the scale against us at this point. I think asking ourselves if its worth it is at the very least a fair question.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I think asking ourselves if its worth it is at the very least a fair question.

It's a fair question - but would not be a fair move to make in the least

Appeasement never works with tyrants and ANTZ are tyrants of the highest stripe

Voluntarily taking mechs off the market would do precisely JACK to make vaping foes happy

I wouldn't consider it appeasement of any kind, because like @f1r3b1rd said, no legislation has specifically targeted mechs. It's damage control. It would be a shame to lose vaping completely because somebody--veteran or not--hurts themselves with a mech. It just seems like the next bad thing that happens is going to ruin it for everyone. It's not about making any of them happy @JuicyLucy...it's about covering our own ass. Would you rather legally vape only regulated mods or illegally vape everything and get juice from black markets? I just think we could do ourselves some favors. Some things might have to go to save the collective whole.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@otbnd
You know what willingly giving something up does?
IT MAKES THINGS WORSE.

Are you a student of history?
At the onset of WWII the allies tried giving Hitler Poland to end the war at its beginning.
Had it worked there would have been no reason for D-day

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
illegally vape everything and get juice from black markets?

I will illegally vape my mechs if it comes to that, and I already make my own juice and have enough supplies to last decades

With the pending vapocalypse already part of national policy, anyone who isn't already making their own is taking a huge risk with their vaping future

On the black market thing, back in the day, if you wanted anything beside pure PG garbage, you bought black market

Many of the big name juice makers began as black market dealers

No, I am not willing to support voluntarily pulling mechs off the market to give you or anyone else a false sense of vaping security

I get very sad when I see vapers willing to throw other vapers under the bus thinking it will preserve their way of vaping

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It wasnt my first 3rd degree burn either, just the longest to heal because of its location.

In any event, we have a fundamental difference of opinion on the issue of mech mods. I still use them. I firmly believe in personal responsibility. Myself using them does not infringe on anyone else's rights. Clearly I know and understand what can go wrong, and its up to me to take preventive measures. The same applies to anyone using one.
Last I checked, mechal mods were never something at risk of being singled out nor taken away in any legislation. They were more concerned with carts and closed systems.
@The Cromwell probably knows more on that
All Mods are subject to Deeming regs and PMTA.
And actually they were specifically targeted in the Cole-Bishop amendment. they were totally being thrown under the bus there.
I actually prefer mosfet/switchfet unregulated mods. virtually no cleaning required for consistent performance.
But yes I have around 10 pure mechs.

I will illegally vape my mechs if it comes to that, and I already make my own juice and have enough supplies to last decades

I'm glad you're taken care of! What about everyone else?

With the pending vapocalypse already part of national policy, anyone who isn't already making their own is taking a huge risk with their vaping future

It's not already part of policy. Trump doesn't know what he will do federally and he could easily override any current or new state laws, as he did with his initial federal flavor ban.

On the black market thing, back in the day, if you wanted anything beside pure PG garbage, you bought black market. Many of the big name juice makers began as black market dealers

That's great. I wouldn't risk my health like that, though.

No, I am not willing to support voluntarily pulling mechs off the market to give you or anyone else a false sense of vaping security

That's unfortunate. One of the key principles of a two party system is bipartisanship, and with that comes compromise. Lobbyists might not support the cause if people are injuring themselves all the time.

I get very sad when I see vapers willing to throw other vapers under the bus thinking it will preserve their way of vaping

Hey me too!

We're all on the same team here. I just see mechs as a totally unnecessary risk to our deeply beloved hobby. I know it's not a popular opinion guys. I just know how the game works. It won't take much now. I'm just as worried as I'm sure everyone else is about potentially losing this battle.

@JuicyLucy @f1r3b1rd I'm not saying these things to be provocative or incite a forum riot. I hope you weren't taking anything I said personally.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

On the black market thing, back in the day, if you wanted anything beside pure PG garbage, you bought black market

Many of the big name juice makers began as black market dealers

Same here I will keep on vaping as long as I want to. Regardless of laws.
Can buy vape stuff? No problem I have enough hardware and nic to last the rest of my life.
And I will vape mechs if I choose.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's not already part of policy. Trump doesn't know what he will do federally and he could easily override any current or new state laws, as he did with his initial federal flavor ban.

Do some research on the Deeming regs. As it stands right now come May 12 in the US no vape stuff will be legal to sell in the US unless it was on the US market prior to 8-8-2016 AND has either a filed or approved pending PMTA application. So far less than 20 vape related PMTA applications out there. And each item requires an approval each flavor, atty, mod, etc.
This is federal and The FDA has been ordered by federal courts to enforce it.
It may well be put off till Sept because of the virus and the FDA having their hands full though.

State laws and flavor bans are nothing compared to the deeming regs impact on Vaping.
Importation of vape stuff will also be forbidden.
This covers all ejuice and hardware used in vaping.

Actually the federal flavor ban on sealed pod systems was an early enforcement action of the Deeming regs. The FDA can enforce them whenever they want but per federal court order they have to start enforcing them on May 12 or Sept if delayed due to virus stuff.

And the deeming regs are based on laws passed by congress, not just something easily overridden.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'm so, so glad you're taken care of! Screw everyone else right?

People not prepared are screwing themselves - sorry, but I can't afford to prep all other vapers - it would be foolish of me to try

He hasn't overturned the Deeming Regs - not one single thing - they are indeed part of the national policy - do your homework

The Deeming Regs set to kick in next month state all vape gear and juices not on the market before the year 2007 are illegal without premarket approval. Stuff prior to 2016 needs to at least have an application - and the FDA has rejected the vast majority of applications it has received. The FDA has yet to approve one single application - think about that

That's unfortunate. One of the key principles of a two party system is bipartisanship, and with that comes compromise. Lobbyists might not support the cause if people are injuring themselves all the time.

Bipartisanship has nothing to do with this - ANTZ come in every political color, as do the people who don't give a shit about vaping one way or the other

We're all on the same team here. I just see mechs as a totally unnecessary risk to our deeply beloved hobby.

So where is the middle ground on your part?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Hey me too!

We're all on the same team here. I just see mechs as a totally unnecessary risk to our deeply beloved hobby. I know it's not a popular opinion guys. I just know how the game works. It won't take much now. I'm just as worried as I'm sure everyone else is about potentially losing this battle.

@JuicyLucy @f1r3b1rd I'm not saying these things to be provocative or incite a forum riot. I hope you weren't taking anything I said personally.
I don't take anything personal.. I have a decent collection of hardware, and about 3 liters of nic.

Ill be fine for at least 3-5 years.

My concern is for the smoker looking to switch, the new vapor, the person who just wants to not smoke analogs.

Taking any tool away from them is idiotic, at best.

As cromwell and lucy told you, look into deeming regs, the vapocolypse is here already. If you're not prepared to have your toys taken away from you, its almost too late. Willingly giving anything up to appease the dragon is definitely foolhardy.
Yes, it is all of us against them, and we should give them nothing.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only good thing about the deeming regs is that they do not make the act of vaping illegal or take you existing stuff away.
You will just have a very hard time getting any more.
And btw this was all supposed to come down in 2018 I think it was but the enforcement got delayed by the FDA not by anyone else.
And why some of us have been stocking up on hardware and nic since 2015 when we learned of the Deeming regs.

Like Bird I do not fear for myself but feel for those not having the options to use vaping to quit smoking like we did.

After enforcement kicks in we may have a few sealed pod systems and cigalikes legal to buy and that is it.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh and no way to be certain but I expect one of the first enforcement actions will be for CC processors to deny vape purchases.
Purchasing illegal things is already prohibited in CC agreements.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To put it bluntly if you have not stocked up on hardware and do not DIY and still use factory coils you are out of luck once enforcement kicks in.
Unless you like sealed pods and cigalikes.
And tobacco and menthol flavors.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
To put it bluntly if you have not stocked up on hardware and do not DIY and still use factory coils you are out of luck once enforcement kicks in.
Unless you like sealed pods and cigalikes.
And tobacco and menthol flavors.

And none of those have been approved either

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And none of those have been approved either
Nope but I am fairly sure there has been a handful of PMTA apps put in for them.
That is a best case scenario.

And from my reading of the deeming regs PMTA process no variable wattage open tank systems will be approved and likely not bottled juice either.
I do hope I am wrong on that , but fear that I am correct.
The deeming regs will pretty much kill sales of ALL 510 type vaping hardware.

Ohh and something I left out... filing a PMTA app is certainly no guarantee of approval. Hundreds of vape related PMTA apps were rejected already. And having on on file to be able to sell the pre 8-8-2016 vape item after May 12 only lasts for up to 1 year from date of filing or until app is rejected. Of course if approved one can continue to sell the approved item.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Nope but I am fairly sure there has been a handful of PMTA apps put in for them.
That is a best case scenario.

And from my reading of the deeming regs PMTA process no variable wattage open tank systems will be approved and likely not bottled juice either.
I do hope I am wrong on that , but fear that I am correct.
The deeming regs will pretty much kill sales of ALL 510 type vaping hardware.

Ohh and something I left out... filing a PMTA app is certainly no guarantee of approval. Hundreds of vape related PMTA apps were rejected already. And having on on file to be able to sell the pre 8-8-2016 vape item after May 12 only lasts for up to 1 year from date of filing or until app is rejected. Of course if approved one can continue to sell the approved item.
Basically its designed to "legally" keep Big Tobaccos vape products on the market unchallenged unless you have deep pockets

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Basically its designed to "legally" keep Big Tobaccos vape products on the market unchallenged unless you have deep pockets
Pretty much.
Only glimmer in that is that one can quit on cigalikes and sealed pod systems.
I kicked 40 year habit with cigalikes.
But I sure as heck am not going back to them :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another thought... I do not expect any stuff to get approved with over 20 mg/ml nic content.
And honestly I do not have a problem with that.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Pretty much.
Only glimmer in that is that one can quit on cigalikes and sealed pod systems.
I kicked 40 year habit with cigalikes.
But I sure as heck am not going back to them :)
See and that is where I get possed about the regs. Cigalikes just pissed me off, egos pissed me off...
It wasnt until I got a 510 mod with a BVC tank that I could quit smoking. Followed up immediately with a single coil rta to keep me going.
The silly Sally cigalikes did not do a thing for me and the BVC took alot of will power to keep me satisfied. That first rta is what made it possible for me to stay off the smokes.

If I tried to quit after deeming regs i probably would still be smoking.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
See and that is where I get possed about the regs. Cigalikes just pissed me off, egos pissed me off...
It wasnt until I got a 510 mod with a BVC tank that I could quit smoking. Followed up immediately with a single coil rta to keep me going.
The silly Sally cigalikes did not do a thing for me and the BVC took alot of will power to keep me satisfied. That first rta is what made it possible for me to stay off the smokes.

Yep cigalikes do not work for everyone.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Kinda the same - I dual used cigalikes and smoked cigarettes for a little over 3 years. I quit smoking once I got my first mod - an REO mechanical squonker - and that was almost 5 years ago now

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I don't care about the fact you think mech mods shouldn't exist. I don't care about people like you because you ARE the anti-vaping movement, which also explains why I think the fact you've had 3rd degree burns is nothing less than you deserve.

VU Sponsors