Even veteran vapers make mistakes

Discussion in 'What NOT to do!' started by f1r3b1rd, Feb 2, 2018.

1. PoppaVic

PoppaVic Gold Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    /sigh
    So, back to the damned Smoking Lamp and burnt leaves? Brilliant.

gopher_byrd likes this.
  2. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Challenge Team ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:

I know - stupid as fuck

gopher_byrd and inspects like this.
  3. gopher_byrd

gopher_byrd Cranky Old Fart VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 4 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    OK, I'll confess... I was at the Detroit airport in December 2016 with some time to kill. I had been outside vaping and put my CV squonker in my coat pocket. I went inside to do some email. After working for a bit I smelled something getting hot. Sure enough I had forgot to lock the switch. End result was just a melted delrin drip tip and burnt wick. My battery wasn't even warm, thank you Samsung 25R5 and me not having a ridiculous build. My coat being FR for the electrical industry wasn't even scorched. My lesson was learned and I always lock the switch on my squonks before pocketing.:facepalm:

Wb80, Ryedan and JuicyLucy like this.
  4. 18wheelerlady

18wheelerlady New Member

Blog Posts:
    I don't have a story as dramatic (so glad of that) but last week had a wake up moment about battery safety.
    I plug my phone in at night, like most of us do, and it used to set on the pillow on the unused side of my bed. It is an LG G5 that uses an LI-Ion battery. I dozed off soon after and woke up about an hour later to a horrendous burnt smell filling my room.
    My phone had slid off of the pillow and was still plugged in, just under the edge of the pillow, on my bed. The battery had whinged out and the phone got hot enough to burn the pillow, the blanket, the top and bottom sheets and a spot about 6" diameter singed all the way to the mattress.
    I survived and only had to replace a phone and some bedding.
    It was a very scary reminder that even our "safest" battery technology can hiccup.
    I used to go to sleep with my mod on my bed, my phone on a pillow, and my vape battery charger on my wooden nightstand. Anything with a battery now goes in a recharge bag that sits in a burn proof box. Probably paranoid but safer is better than sorry
    Sarah

Wb80, inspects, Ryedan and 4 others like this.
  5. Carambrda

Carambrda Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Recharge bags add more danger, as the heat that gets trapped in them can easily cause a battery to start overheating during the charging process, just like it did under your pillow. For this reason charging a mod or the typical round Li-ion cells we use for vaping should NEVER be done in a recharge bag or pouch excepting only if you're charging them at such low amps that the charging takes essentially forever.

Wb80 and KingPin! like this.
  6. KingPin!

KingPin! In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^ Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years VU Challenge Team Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    yeah never understood the boil in a bag idea better off leaving on a non combustible slate

7. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    Similar moment last week, when I went to wrap a battery. I couldn't get a good tear on it, so went to lightly nip the top with scissors and got a big spark, just a few feet from my face. I threw the battery, stared at it, kind of in shock, picked it up, then tossed it in the kitchen. All was well, but it sure scared the shit out of me. Will find a new way to tear those off that doesn't involve nipping the wrap with metal.

The first thing I thought of after I calmed down was Bird. <3

8. CactusFanaticus

CactusFanaticus Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Glad you’re ok, something like that is definitely startling.

Wb80 and Huckleberried like this.
  9. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    You too! Lots of things in this thread make me glad that everyone is relatively alright. Those things will stay with ya, for sure.

CactusFanaticus likes this.
  10. Carambrda

Blog Posts:
    For LiPo packs it's understandable because those need typical slow charging so they don't give off so much heat while charging, and, they use a much more volatile chemistry type so when they catch on fire they do so much more violently compared to all the other types we consider safe enough to be suitable for vaping so that's what charging bags are for, but personally I would take added precautions by keeping the charging bag in a cool place during the charging. To cool down something in such a way that the amount of cooling will make a big enough difference, usually people add ice, BUT... when ice melts you get water so, batteries... water... I don't think that's such a good idea. LiPo users basically are stuck with slow charging unless you can do it in something like a fireproof shed outside, but you have to stay nearby to keep monitoring the charging and be able to intervene in a timely fashion if something goes wrong with the battery charging, so it's not convenient for most people because people want to sit inside where it's comfortable instead of keep wandering around the shed. Or else just stick to using 'traditional' round cells on an external charger with a ceramic tile underneath and keep it where you can both see it (stay awake) and easily reach it.

11. MyMagicMist

MyMagicMist Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Ouch. Sorry to read about that. Also, wow, guess I'll now make locking them when not in use more of a habit. I usually don't lock them but then too I usually set them upright on a table. I do know better though, tables can randomly vanish, or items get knocked off of them. Well, get better then man.

12. placemace

placemace New Member

Blog Posts:
    It is also important to ensure that the buttons are not jammed! This is a fairly common problem!

Happy Chinese New Year! [​IMG]

Daniellife likes this.
  13. Daniellife

Daniellife New Member

Blog Posts:
    I agree! It is very important!

14. JBT81

JBT81 baby empath VU Donator New Member

Blog Posts:
    dang man. glad it didn't turn out to be worse than this. i sort of feel your pain (or lack thereof), i burned my finger on a coil the other day.

[​IMG]

you can barely see it anymore, but at first you could see the lines from the coil. its the slightly more pink spot on the top half...
    i had just finished dry burning my coil and got up to go get a drink or something, when i came back i forgot that it might still be hot :eek: i was securing the post screws and touched the coil to make sure it was in a good position. all of a sudden i felt a sharp pain and stopped touching it to find a nice little burn mark. i rinsed it under cold water for a good 4 minutes and then held a bag of frozen something on it for a while. obviously i felt stupid for the careless mistake, but i also felt somehow accomplished, as if i had become a true vaper. as if i had made it through a rite of passage haha 1st (and hopefully ONLY) coil burn down.

be careful fellow VUers! learn from our mistakes please.

KingPin! likes this.
  15. Wb80

Wb80 VU Donator Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Well i had a close call a few days ago. While watching tv and talking with my wife i dripped my rda, went to vape it not realizing i still hadn't put the top back on it. Finger on the fire button as i taste juice in my mouth. Lol. Just lucky i almost ended up with a scorched mouth. Was close

KingPin! likes this.
  16. Huckleberried

Blog Posts:
    I've singed my lip, burnt my finger, gotten stabbed with wire, sliced a finger open a couple times on a sharp atty, but never have I had a 3rd degree burn like Bird's. Man, that looked terrible. I whine and cry over a kanthal stab like a little girl, though.

KingPin! and inspects like this.
  17. Wb80

Wb80 VU Donator Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I thought being stabbed with wire was just part of building. Lol

18. lordmage

lordmage Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Gold Contributor ECF Refugee Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    well my one true opp moments was back in the 5v box mod on a 14500 and carto days...
    long story short went to the movies mod in pocket turned it off.
    somehow when i took my jacket off it turned on... sat on the jacket there by hitting the power button
    dont know how long it was on but got to the car for a vape post movie.
    there was a nice melted carto, box mod and a very warm pocket... could have been worse but i was down my best unit at the time.

lesson learned in my case if i go to the movies these days battery box to hold the power outside of the mod...

i have also poked ,burned, cut finger using RDA's and RTA's before

19. Carambrda

Blog Posts:
    I once poured ~70ml of Baker's Daughter between my bed and nightstand... it smelled fucking awesome.

Ryedan and Wb80 like this.
  20. Rhianne

Rhianne Gold Contributor ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:

Good answer! lol I hope you’re okay. That burn looks bad, glad it’s healing up.
    It’s not like ppl don’t vape in bed at all. We do, we’re just using regulated mods. Be careful!

21. Rhianne

Rhianne Gold Contributor ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:

Ooh, a Hello Kitty vape! I love it actually!
    Sorry, a necrobot brought me here. But good lesson to hear.

22. TheBloodyNine

TheBloodyNine New Member ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    "I was kidding in bed and threw my mechmods in bed and then jumped in."

This makes it sound like you took a bunch of mods, put them on the bed then just jumped into them like they were a pile of 100 dollar bills.

I know that's not what happened, but the image is stuck in my head now.

Rhianne likes this.