Become a Patron!

Evaluation Time

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey guys...
Ok, so last nite I made my first attempt at making my own blueberry juice. I made 3 15 ml bottles, & I've let them steep overnite. Today was evaluation time. First, obviously it needs more flavor. I used a blueberry flavoring from Mt. Baker Vapor, & that might have been my first mistake. Secondly, it needs to be sweeter. I didn't add enough sweetener.

But overall, it is definitely not offensive, ad it is vapable, just not strong enough yet. I was using the eJuice Me Up calculator, and going exactly by the numbers, which now I think need to be altered to adjust for my taste need. Oh, and I'm getting great vapor production, no complaints there, just lax on taste & sweetness.

Maybe I will make another jar, and this time use the Bilberry flavor by Flavour Art...Any suggestions???

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hi Daniel. Glad to see you mixing! Read this review about Bilberry. I think you'll be happy with it. I personally don't use sweeteners, simply because I haven't found any need to. Mix first, sample, add sweetener if necessary. Depending on what you use, go in small increments when sweetening. EM can kill the flavor completely if you use too much.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with Huck, you'll be much happier with the FA Bilberry alone (no sweetener). Be very careful how much you use - FA flavors need tiny percentages usually. I'd start at 1% with the FA flavor.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok guys, here's the recipe I am working with now. I know you say with FA, use tiny %'s, but I'm lost on that point because the recipe calls for a total % of Bilberry to be 20%. Does that make any sense to you?

Nic.--7.5 ml---50%
PG--1.5 ml---10%
VG--3.0 ml--20%
Bilberry--3.0 ml---20%

And this is for a 15 ml bottle.

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That number (20%) for Bilberry is way too high.
I just started working with it (added 2% to HIC's Brookside recipe instead of the Pom), and figure I'd like it at 3.5% to 4% as a single flavor.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That number (20%) for Bilberry is way too high.
I just started working with it (added 2% to HIC's Brookside recipe instead of the Pom), and figure I'd like it at 3.5% to 4% as a single flavor.
Ok, I'm going to amend it to 0.6%, or 12 drops. That will give me 4 %. Look better now? :)

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Typing at the same time :)
Yeah, .6ml looks much better for a 15ml recipe.

ETA: That's probably on the high side of the flavor scale, but if you're like me and don't have sensitive taste buds, it'll be OK. Then again, if it is too strong, you can always cut the recipe a little more with some plain PG or VG.

People usually prefer to do it the other way around and start with 1%-2%, and then add more flavor if it's not enough. I do it both ways, depending on how thin my patience is getting :)

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
MBV Blueberry was kinda bitter to me, and had to hit 14% for good flavor, and you can add some vanilla + marshmallow to help sweeten it up.

FA Bilberry is more tasty, and I went up to 3% to get good flavor, then I add like 10-20 drops of TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust for yummies.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
MBV Blueberry was kinda bitter to me, and had to hit 14% for good flavor, and you can add some vanilla + marshmallow to help sweeten it up.

FA Bilberry is more tasty, and I went up to 3% to get good flavor, then I add like 10-20 drops of TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust for yummies.
Yeah, I'm ordering a handful of the other flavors today, so I'll have them to add later on. I just gotta get a blueberry juice going. Now will I steep this for 24 hours? More, or less? Or can I vape it up after making?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, I'm going to amend it to 0.6%, or 12 drops. That will give me 4 %. Look better now? :)

It may be perfume tasting at 4%. It really is better to start lower and work up with FA flavors (or any flavors).

Try it right after you make it. It may or may not need to steep, depending on what else is in it. It's worth just trying a standalone bilberry at 1% before you do anything else - make a small 6ml sample perhaps. That's usually what I do!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yeah, I'm ordering a handful of the other flavors today, so I'll have them to add later on. I just gotta get a blueberry juice going. Now will I steep this for 24 hours? More, or less? Or can I vape it up after making?

Single fruits only need a good shake, and maybe a hot water bath, but there are some exceptions.
Try it fresh and see if it's ok "to you", and make a second batch to sit for 24-48 hrs.

BTW I used FA Bilberry at 2% in a Cheesecake mix and was too weak, so I went to 3%, better.
Stand alone Bilberry at 2% might be OK.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Good evening folks! Ok, an update coming at ya-----> I finally got my blueberry fixed. I made 4 batches, 1%, 2%, 3%, 4%, and I put the 2% in one mod with a Kayfun Lite Plus, & the 4% in a mod with a Taifun GT. And I am happy to say it came out just the way I wanted it to. Loud & proud, with plenty of flavor, and plenty of vapor. Good times indeedy! Now, I'm getting ready to order the extra flavors I need to add later, like Marshmallow, Fresh Cream, Meringue, & 1 or 2 more. My only question at this point is, obviously they will be a few days getting here, so will it be ok to add another flavor like the Marshmallow or Fresh Cream when they arrive, or will it be too late to add, & I'll have to wait until the next batch? Oh, and where's the most reasonable vendor to find these flavors at?

I am so grateful for all of the help & advice I recieved today, from Huckleberried, Cavediver, Heabob, Amanda & anyone else that offered their input to assist me. This forum is ruly a blessed place to be, & I am so glad to be a part of it.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can add extras any time you want to! But, as I said earlier, I make 6ml test batches until I know the flavoring is right.

Glad you got your blueberry right!

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can add extras any time you want to! But, as I said earlier, I make 6ml test batches until I know the flavoring is right.

Glad you got your blueberry right!
Ok, cool, thanks Amanda. Where is the most reasonable vendor to buy the flavors from? Is it Ecig?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I buy from various different places. I buy the 3ml bottles from Pure Vapes if I want to test a flavor, and then I buy the 30ml bottles from there if I like it. Or I buy from Bull City Vapor, EcigExpress, or EliquidMart. It depends who has the most flavors that I want in stock!

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I buy from various different places. I buy the 3ml bottles from Pure Vapes if I want to test a flavor, and then I buy the 30ml bottles from there if I like it. Or I buy from Bull City Vapor, EcigExpress, or EliquidMart. It depends who has the most flavors that I want in stock!
I love that picture of your puppy...:) Mine is one of my baby girls, Roxxie..

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Exactly what I do!

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Definitely feel free to add whatever flavors whenever! The only thing it will do is change your PG/VG ratio and dilute your nicotine some. Most people wouldn't notice the dilution much, but your nic levels will be a little lower.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Good evening folks! Ok, an update coming at ya-----> I finally got my blueberry fixed. I made 4 batches, 1%, 2%, 3%, 4%, and I put the 2% in one mod with a Kayfun Lite Plus, & the 4% in a mod with a Taifun GT. And I am happy to say it came out just the way I wanted it to. Loud & proud, with plenty of flavor, and plenty of vapor. Good times indeedy! Now, I'm getting ready to order the extra flavors I need to add later, like Marshmallow, Fresh Cream, Meringue, & 1 or 2 more. My only question at this point is, obviously they will be a few days getting here, so will it be ok to add another flavor like the Marshmallow or Fresh Cream when they arrive, or will it be too late to add, & I'll have to wait until the next batch? Oh, and where's the most reasonable vendor to find these flavors at?

I am so grateful for all of the help & advice I recieved today, from Huckleberried, Cavediver, Heabob, Amanda & anyone else that offered their input to assist me. This forum is ruly a blessed place to be, & I am so glad to be a part of it.
awesome !!!!!!!!!! Im glad you are having success . hey I am working on that blueberry waffle. talking to you got me interested in it.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm so happy for you, Daniel! Glad the flavor worked out for you so well.

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good deal! I'm glad it worked out for you Daniel.
If you're on the east coast, Bull City Vapor can't be beat. More than once I've ordered on Wednesday and received my stuff by Saturday. They're my first choice these days, though I will happily order from any of the other vendors mentioned by AmandaD.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Morning again friends...Just a small update and bit of acknowledgement...I am gonna have to wait a few days until my order comes in from the vendor, I bought a few of the flavors you guys suggested, so I can smooth out the rough edges of the blueberry juice I made. Especially want to try that marshmallow flavor. So no problems, I just have to wait on the mailman.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Glad you had some success.

You can add stuff later, but it's harder to measure accurately if you've used some up in a tank already.
If it's another bottle/batch, just sitting, no problem when adding smallish amounts.
It will lower the nic content slightly, and also increase the PG to VG ratio slightly.

Another vote for BullCity, only 2 days to Michigan, good selection of flavorings.

Edd

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did the mailman ever show up? Ha! did you ever add the marshmallow?

VU Sponsors