Become a Patron!

Enable Markdown for the forum, please?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i think it would helpful for us lazy ones to use markdown on the forum. we know who we are and feel no remorse, regret in being lazy. it is simply our way and it works. italics in markdown, __italics__, bold, **bold**.

so can we get markdown added into the forum?

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Code:
[b]this is bold[/b]
[i]this should be italics[/i]

this is bold
this should be italics

you can use BB code for that

html etc open the forum to nasty code

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can understand the concern. May I then ask that someone explore what Markdown code provides? As far as I am aware it is not nasty code. Granted I have coded virus in plain ASCII text before, yet Markdown is simply structural and formatting code. I understand reliance on what is proved. Hope that does not mean though there is a sense of xenophobia, even if some new idea might prove useful and harmless.

I am asking as well because if you add the brackets text looks like it has gone through a mill. I also can put html code on the site anyway. Look.

HTML:
<html>
<head>
<title>An Empty Page</title>
</head>
<body>
<h3>Oh hi, I'm an empty page. Well save for this text.</h3>
<p> I could write a paragraph of text here and <a href="https://www.duckduckgo.com" title="DuckDuckGo">link</a> to a search engine.
</body>
</html>

Compared to Markdown:

###Oh hi, I'm an empty page. Well save for this text.

I can write a paragraph of text and < https://www.duckduckgo.com > link to a search engine.

And obviously the forum software understands Markdown's use of angle brackets for URLs. It does format them properly. Does not do the heading formating using Markdown's use of the pound sign.

Watch out, going to be all kinds of server trouble now. I doubt there will be any despite my sarcasm.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Is there a reason besides laziness as you say markdown vs bbcode? since they both are typed and provided. The same end goal

@TygerTyger

Rooster Cogburn

Memento Mori
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Am I doing this right? Boldness [b/]

this should be fancy italic.[i/]

[a] what’s this I wonder[a\]
blah blah blah

this should be underlined
Prince would like this if he hadn’t ODed on fentanyl

. Purple be gone[/COLOR]

Last edited:

TygerTyger

Official Lurker
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can understand the concern. May I then ask that someone explore what Markdown code provides? As far as I am aware it is not nasty code. Granted I have coded virus in plain ASCII text before, yet Markdown is simply structural and formatting code. I understand reliance on what is proved. Hope that does not mean though there is a sense of xenophobia, even if some new idea might prove useful and harmless

Watch out, going to be all kinds of server trouble now. I doubt there will be any despite my sarcasm.

"Xenophobic?" Aren't we really just talking about fancy formatting here? How did xenophobia find its way into the conversation? o_O

But as to the real question, there are three reasons this is pretty much a non-starter:

1. We try to avoid building vulnerabilities into the Forum, especially with so little to gain (see point 2)...
https://github.com/showdownjs/showdown/wiki/Markdown's-XSS-Vulnerability-(and-how-to-mitigate-it)

2. It solves a non-existent problem. In 5 years, this is the first time anyone has ever asked something like this, so we can't really place a high priority on looking for ways to add something that no one has needed and that.....

3. ... The third reason already addresses - as @lordmage mentioned, BBcode gives you the most important of the functionality you're looking for.

I know that's not what you were hoping for, but for now, BBcode does everything we need.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
"Xenophobic?" Aren't we really just talking about fancy formatting here? How did xenophobia find its way into the conversation? o_O

But as to the real question, there are three reasons this is pretty much a non-starter:

1. We try to avoid building vulnerabilities into the Forum, especially with so little to gain (see point 2)...
https://github.com/showdownjs/showdown/wiki/Markdown's-XSS-Vulnerability-(and-how-to-mitigate-it)

2. It solves a non-existent problem. In 5 years, this is the first time anyone has ever asked something like this, so we can't really place a high priority on looking for ways to add something that no one has needed and that.....

3. ... The third reason already addresses - as @lordmage mentioned, BBcode gives you the most important of the functionality you're looking for.

I know that's not what you were hoping for, but for now, BBcode does everything we need.

Alright, this explanation makes sense. :) I was just having a curiosity if it would be applicable here.

Xenophobia is a fear of new or different, people, ideas, thoughts, questions, anything. It seemed that I was getting the standard "hey that's new, shut it down" script. Now that I see the vulnerability aspect to MD, can see there's reason to not use it. Although the way the fix for it is explained leaves me scratching my head. "...you should (almost) never trust data sent by the client."

So in other words the admin of any site is thinking "okay use X is sending me malicious data, who is user X?" Damn that's a sad state to be in. I would figure using some good ACLs would stave off script kiddies easily enough. Apache handles use of ACLs (access control lists) well enough it would seem one could fine tune those to limit scripting use. Though I suppose that still leaves a buffer overflow attack open if someone could use malloc() from scripting.

Thank you. :)

VU Sponsors