Become a Patron!

Eminent first build

Cormic

Member For 3 Years
So last night I'm ordering coils and getting a bit annoyed at the cost even though it's the best price I've found.

(10x X4 baby beast coils and 10X .7 ohm nautilus coils for a bit under 40$ from gearbeast)

And I decide F' it I'm going to get a rebuildable.I have the rba deck that came with my big baby beast but the bottom strap is to tall giving you the wonderful option of either a dead short or a slow leak. Eventually I'll shave a few hundred microns off it and fit it but I haven't felt like it so far. Going through gearbests sales I eventually decided on getting a aromamizer v2 and a griffin 25.

Now in my head it seems like the aromamizer would be a easier to start with,but it wouldn't be the first time what's rattling around in my head is completely wrong.

So these are my initial questions.

Which if either is better to start with?

If I'm building the rdta do I let the cotton hang down to the bottom of the tank? And do I tie up the end a bit or just let it float around? I've seen this multiple ways in pictures but I don't know if it's preference or a functional difference?

And assuming I don't completely fail I plan on trying builds from .15 to around 1.0. Again, the often wrong voice in my head tells me I should be fine if I get some 24,26,30,36 gauge kanthal. A bit of SS because I want to try that as well. But there's no telling when my wife will let me at the bank account again so I don't want to find out I should have gotten some xxx instead or with those. So am I on the right track?

And I was planning on buying the wire from kidney puncher. Is there somewhere else I should look first?

Finally is it worth buying pre-made coils to try as well as I'm obviously not going to be making fancy coils my first go round.

Thank you in advance:)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I use the aromamizer supreme and the Augvape Boreas (which is kind of like a less expensive version of the supreme) as my all day setups

I usually carry 2 mods with one of each each when I leave the house.

The Boreas is only better to me for one reason and the reason is there is more space to use exotic specialty coils.

I have dual 24 gauge stainless coils in the supreme and I usually run dual staggered claptons or aliens in the boreas.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I haven't had any problem with my Big Baby Beast, and it has the first coils I built. I just started, too. :) But I'm absolutely in love with my OBS Engine rdta. I also have a Frost Wyrm coming from China sometime in the near future, I hope.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Which if either is better to start with?

If I'm building the rdta do I let the cotton hang down to the bottom of the tank? And do I tie up the end a bit or just let it float around? I've seen this multiple ways in pictures but I don't know if it's preference or a functional difference?

And assuming I don't completely fail I plan on trying builds from .15 to around 1.0. Again, the often wrong voice in my head tells me I should be fine if I get some 24,26,30,36 gauge kanthal. A bit of SS because I want to try that as well. But there's no telling when my wife will let me at the bank account again so I don't want to find out I should have gotten some xxx instead or with those. So am I on the right track?

And I was planning on buying the wire from kidney puncher. Is there somewhere else I should look first?

Finally is it worth buying pre-made coils to try as well as I'm obviously not going to be making fancy coils my first go round.

Thank you in advance:)

With the aromamizer supreme and the Augvape Boreas I use cotton bacon and I make it go almost around the coil like a circle.

There are 4 holes under the deck . one in front of each of the post and the object is to get the ends of the cotton to lightly cover each of the holes because that is where the eliquid gets into the the base.

I use 24 or 26 gauge for wire and have gone with 316L stainless for about 2 years now. it heats up and cools down faster than kanthal and it a safer wire. it is also easier to wrap and you do not need to pre heat the wire before you wrap the coil.

You may want to get a 10 pack of clapton or staggered clapton wire and your best bet for not breaking the bank is the kind that comes in a plastic container with 10 coils inside.

I have moved on to buying a 25 foot roll of 316 stainless staggered clapton wire but I wouldn't suggest that at first until you know if you like a particular wire or not.
The last thing you need is a bunch of wire that you are never going to use laying around.
Once you buy the wire it's nearly impossible to turn it back to money.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Easiest thing to learn to build on is an rda. Wicking on tanks can be very touchy. Wicking rda is fairly foolproof, giving you experience making the actual builds. And taking the wicking variable out of the equasion. The common thinking by new builders is rda's are a "pain" to use. But after getting dry hits or severe leaking from your rebuildable tank, you will understand. Wicking tanks properly can be a bear.

I would get 26,28,36 kanthal. Maybe 24. I personally think the 30kanthal is fairly useless, but that is just me. Too small for core wire, too big for wrapper imho.

SS is really my preferred wire. Only problem is the ultra low resistance. Flavor, ramp time, and cool time are all better. Would get 28 and 36SS too if budget allows. Maybe 26 or 24 for single core or single coil builds.

Would recommend against buying a spool of fused clapton/alien/clapton or premade exotic coils unless handmade from a builder on here. The mass produced ones are twisted and have a very heavy outer wrap. Better off with regular coils. Well made exotic coils are absolutely awesome though and fused claptons can be made with a limited amount of profanity in the learning stage.

Cormic

Member For 3 Years
Thanks! I really appreciate the help. I have a pack of cotton bacon v2. I think it's enough to start with. i'll drop the 30 and get some 28. I didn't get an rda mostly because I couldnt decide on one and my order was getting up there cost wise.I may still get one when I order wire, depends on what the bank (wife) says. Reading other threads I knew tanks where harder to wick right. But I have other tanks for work and on the go. So I'll be able to leave them 1/4 full on a plastic holder in case they leak until I get it right.

Looking back at my question about the wick length I realize I was asking about a tank I didn't end up buying. (I'm old gimme some slack). I had six atty's in my cart for awhile and ended up just deleting from the bottom up until I had two left.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Well made exotic coils are absolutely awesome though and fused claptons can be made with a limited amount of profanity in the learning stage.

I would say that the profanity will be close to maxed out on the first few tries.
Those guys on youtube make it look so easy.

The 25ft rolls of staggered clapton wire I get are all stainless and really decent.

I suggested the cheap Chinese 10 packs of coils so you can check them out and learn to build with them first before you dump major loot on a set of coils.

It's better to learn on the $2 coils so then you know what you are doing already when the $20 coils show up.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My first builds where basic coils then I quickly went to twisted which are very easy to make. You just need a drill and you can easily twist up some wire, twisted are very easy to make and you'll get better performance/flavor than bare wire.

IMO I'd get a spool of 26g, 28g and 30g SS, and/or 24g, 26g and 28g Kanthal make sure it's good wire and not the cheap Chinese garbage. I say a 30ft spool of each will give you a good idea of what you like. Good wire in those gauges are pretty damn cheap. The best wire IMO is from Kidney Puncher. Spools of 30ft are under $5 each for Kidney Puncher.

Cheaper but also excellent quality are
  • Atomizer Wick - 25ft Under $4
  • Temco - 100ft around $6-$7
  • Pure Atomist - 50ft around $4-$5
Now SS will be a couple bucks more for each spool, but you see that quality wire is cheap. Figure that around 10" and under of wire will give you two coils that will last month's it simply isn't worth it to waste money on cheap Chinese shit wire.

VU Sponsors