Become a Patron!

Element vape breach of security

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got a letter today from element informing me that there was a breach and personal information may have been taken. Between December 2017 and June 2018. Gave me a code to set up smart Lock. Just a heads up for everyone who uses or has used them.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Got a letter today from element informing me that there was a breach and personal information may have been taken. Between December 2017 and June 2018. Gave me a code to set up smart Lock. Just a heads up for everyone who uses or has used them.

Thanks for the info.
I haven't received a letter yet.
I've used them around 5 or 6 times during that time period.
One more reason I only use one card for online purchases and purposely has a low limit on it.
Good luck trying to purchase anything with it. I most always keep it to the limit!

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what they say, it was a breach, really they sold your information for a profit......

I worked for several companies that would sell people's addresses, and phone numbers, social security numbers and even the type of vehicle they purchased.

A list with several thousand people and their private information can bring a pretty penny....... To the right company, usually marketing companies........

Thanks for waking some of us up...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well shit. You make a good point. Not the first time I've been for sale I guess. Lol

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the info.
I haven't received a letter yet.
I've used them around 5 or 6 times during that time period.
One more reason I only use one card for online purchases and purposely has a low limit on it.
Good luck trying to purchase anything with it. I most always keep it to the limit!
Same here. I bought from them maybe 4 or 5 times. I always use a prepaid debit card. This hacking bullshit makes me sick.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
After my card was hacked the last time I use card valet. I turn the card on/off. It works because they never know when I will turn it on. When I do turn on the card its only for a quick purchase and then its off. The service will alarm me to any purchase being performed.
My bank provides this service for free for me.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwji1vTV3cDeAhVRSq0KHUHBAfEQFjAAegQIABAB&url=http://www.cardvalet.com/&usg=AOvVaw1uYBLHpePg0-pUCSCa6ZMa
I believe all credit card companies allow you to turn the cards on and off....mine do anyway (Amex, Discover, MC, Visa, but I've never done it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I believe all credit card companies allow you to turn the cards on and off....mine do anyway (Amex, Discover, MC, Visa, but I've never done it.

Now I have to call and find out if my company offers this service because of you folks~! I asked about getting a text for every charge but they don't offer that service.

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No I have to call and find out if my company offers this service because of you folks~! I asked about getting a text for every charge but they don't offer that service.
Strange....I get text messages for every sale, regardless of the price....and the option to turn cards on and off are at every CC site I use (about 6 different). Only had cards hacked or stolen a couple times, but like you said, it's a pain in the ass setting it back if you use the card for bill pay, or something similar.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My card is a bank card/debit. We ripped all of our credit cards to pieces back in the 90's.

I received a letter too, good thing I only use Visa gift cards when I shop online. There was no report that anyone's credit card info was compromised. I'm still shopping with them, they're an excellent company with great customer service.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Wells Fargo has that feature also, but we've never used it; our debit cards get used so much, it would be a giant PITA if we did. But they're also very good with fraud protection, as long as you report the unauthorized use in a timely fashion, and since I always keep a very close eye on the acct online, that works for me.

And I know for a fact that VISA is VERY good with fraud protection with their credit cards.

Andria

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had to call about some unauthorized purchases using my paypal Mastercard several months ago. I almost never use it. Like practically never. I did use it to make a couple purchases from elemantvape during this timeframe. I bet that was it. Now I know. Somebody in Chicago was using it. At least the places were in Chicago.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I hope this doesn't become another My Freedom Smokes.

They've have a "data breach" since they opened the fucking site:facepalm:

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I buy everything on eBay and always use my PayPal.....

If I get ripped off, I go after PayPal or eBay or Master Card..... Somebody is paying........

I might pay more for an Item, but the chances of getting ripped off are minimal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I bought a mod for my son from element, but I THINK it was before the time frame indicated by the OP. He said he would check tomorrow. The good news is that if I used a debit card, we no longer even have that acct; if I used a credit card, it was a BofA VISA, and they're hell on fraud.

Andria

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Wells Fargo has that feature also, but we've never used it; our debit cards get used so much, it would be a giant PITA if we did. But they're also very good with fraud protection, as long as you report the unauthorized use in a timely fashion, and since I always keep a very close eye on the acct online, that works for me.

And I know for a fact that VISA is VERY good with fraud protection with their credit cards.

Andria

They are very good.
I got hit with that $50 team beach body scam where they were just taking $50 thinking people wouldn't notice.
I went to the bank and they instantly straightened it out.
They canceled the card, reversed the charge and got me a new card and pin number.
It took about 30 minutes.

I use the website and the text feature to check my balance every day or two for any shady charges.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They are very good.
I got hit with that $50 team beach body scam where they were just taking $50 thinking people wouldn't notice.
I went to the bank and they instantly straightened it out.
They canceled the card, reversed the charge and got me a new card and pin number.
It took about 30 minutes.

I use the website and the text feature to check my balance every day or two for any shady charges.
I got the beachbody scam too....must have hit 1000's of people.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What is the "beachbody scam"? I've never heard of it. We got hit for something like $49.98 back in 2015, I think it was, and it seemed like it came in the wake of the Home Depot hack. We were using BB&T as our main bank then, and they were great; same deal with getting us new debit cards, signed and notarized a form stating the fraud, and the money was back in our acct the very next day... though it took a few days to get the new cards.

Andria

VU Sponsors